Northstar Vale And when I came to, I had an epiphery.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
One daughter appeared to sleep, while the other roused, belligerent and needy, crowing for their mother. Ibis was locked in to a state of half-sleep herself; her body was well worn from the birthing and all she wanted was to sleep, sleep, sleep, but, that did not come easily. Every little thing kept her mind alert. The softest kick from one of her surviving girl's paws, or a nip from their toothless mouth. The birds were singing again in fits and starts, outside - which meant maybe it was morning? A shrieking crow's call forced Ibis the last of the way to wakefulness, and with a groan she tried to adjust herself and curl protectively around her daughters; but by then Lilitu had woken and was pressing against her, nibbling, agitated. Ibis felt the girl latch upon her and huffed, indignant, laying prone so that she may feed undisturbed.

She had been dreaming.

Her mothers' faces had surfaced in her mind - Seabreeze first, then Olive, and they formed some sort of calico version in one body, merging as the dream progressed. They spoke softly to her and calmed her spirit; however, upon waking Ibis could not recall what had been said, or whose voice she truly heard. It was layered, familiar, and somehow distorted all at the same time. It did not matter once she was awake, of course - the dream faded, her mind focusing on the imperative of any mother to tend to their children.

Motherhood. It was so new to her. She was unprepared for all that it entailed, and deep down Ibis knew that. She did not think of her lost children in the hours after their birth. Her focus was entirely limited to her daughters - not even Akavir came mind. They were her sole focus, her entire world, her entire universe, now. As she watched Lilitu feast, she could not put in to words (or even coherent thoughts) how strongly she loved the little bundle of grey fur. Softly shifting, Ibis nosed at the slumbering Arielle too, feeling the silken baby furs tickle at her nose. In the dark of the den both her children looked so much like her own father, and her brother - that Ibis felt a twist of regret in the pit of her belly, sighing to herself. Those she loved so deeply were gone. They would not meet her daughters, not see them transform from these little pebbles of life to their fully realized selves.

Ibis was too tired to cry, but her face pinched with a frown, followed by swift little kisses bestowed upon her little ones.
Messages In This Thread
And when I came to, I had an epiphery. - by Lilitu - June 14, 2020, 12:53 PM
RE: And when I came to, I had an epiphery. - by Ibis (Ghost) - June 15, 2020, 03:00 PM
RE: And when I came to, I had an epiphery. - by Lilitu - June 22, 2020, 05:46 PM
RE: And when I came to, I had an epiphery. - by Lilitu - July 19, 2020, 11:38 AM