Firefly Glen I shiver
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Oh, uh, Toad realized, yes, indeed she had promised something to her friend. Yes, she said. Quickly, she racked her brain for something appropriate for the moment. Love stories flooded her mind, but she wanted nothing of them. So, an old, beautiful one surfaced. It was perfect for a child at bedtime. She had used it many times before. Toad lifted her head. She once more looked out to the rain, but then shifted her gaze to the cavern wall.

My mother, she said slowly, setting the tone with a soft, smooth voice, she told me once of a dragon her grandmother saw. Her words blended with the wind. The starlight on the cave might have lit her words into reality, might have created a dance that Toad could see in her mind. While Meerkat kept herself in a nice, comfortable posture, Toad went on.

Dragons, if you don't know, well, they are terrible, frightening beasts. They are bigger than ten wolves standing on one another. They have great, curious, sparkling scales. Their skin looks like a lizard, only each scale is so big, my head would do it a disservice. Their horns, and oh yes, they have horns on their heads like goats and on their chins and their cheeks and their tails. There are horns everywhere, great spikes of defence. Those horns are all razor sharp and built of the strongest materials known to wolfkind. They have wings, huge, bigger than you.

Toad went on, taking a calm, gentle breath. She knew that Meerkat could not make it through the whole thing. My great grandmother stood face to face with this great beast. Dragons were said to be evil. Said to be the work of devilfolk and witches. So my grandmother, upon coming to this dragon, she said, "You are a dragon, and your blood is old, and it is true. What say you, to my claim to this great mountain?"
And the dragon, with its hulking chest and its great long neck and its lizard-like, terrible tail, well it did look to my great grandmother and that dragon said, "I am a dragon, and my blood is old, and indeed it is true. But I no longer care for this mountain. For my kind no longer linger, and I am alone on this great mountain. And so, wolf, you may have this mountain, if..."

Toad stopped for a moment. She glanced at Meerkat. She smiled, looking ahead of her again.
And my great grandmother asked, "What?"
But the dragon just said, "Hahaha, just kidding, it is only a mountain after all. And there is a great big world that you cannot see, and I can see it with these wings. Perhaps, one day, you will know this great wide earth, and you will love it as I do."
And the dragon flew off. It gave no name or time or way to find it. My great grandmother claimed that good mountain, and on its soil the trees grew tall. The animals grew numerous and hunting was easy.

Toad's words smoothed to a halt. She rolled over to her side, and looked to Meerkat, wondering if she had made it through the story. It was unlikely to be so.
Moonspear and Firefly Glen members can powerplay Toad for whatever they'd like barring injury, just tag her!
Messages In This Thread
I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - October 29, 2020, 01:27 AM
RE: I shiver - by Meerkat - October 29, 2020, 09:24 AM
RE: I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - October 29, 2020, 04:25 PM
RE: I shiver - by Meerkat - October 29, 2020, 05:33 PM
RE: I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - October 29, 2020, 08:31 PM
RE: I shiver - by Meerkat - October 29, 2020, 09:08 PM
RE: I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - October 30, 2020, 01:50 PM
RE: I shiver - by Meerkat - November 02, 2020, 09:30 PM
RE: I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - November 02, 2020, 11:59 PM
RE: I shiver - by Meerkat - November 04, 2020, 06:53 PM
RE: I shiver - by RIP Toad Amelia - November 06, 2020, 12:01 AM