The Tangle She says the joys of life are lost among the living
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was right to tell her. He could see the problem as it settled in her expression, and as he sensed her unease, his expression changed to match. Ashlar's eyes filled with concern but he stayed where he was. She didn't know how to feel about this and he could not force her to accept it. He could only try to explain it as best he could.

I don't know. He couldn't understand what she was asking, but he knew how hard it was to put words together when his brain could not keep the pace. That was why he was being careful, speaking slowly, and trying not to let his fear take over. Losing her friendship and company would be an immeasurable blow.

He looked down, feeling his shame creep forth. Perhaps then he was selfish, thinking that he could love two. It was easily done, and he felt no less for her now than she had before, but something in others recognized an error in this. Whatever she saw, whatever Ratio saw... it was real. He just did not see it as well. I'm sorry. It... I don't... um. This doesn't change anything. For me. I don't want this to make anything different. But it's okay if it has to. His ears fell back as his voice trailed to nothing, but he would accept whatever she said.

Just as with Ratio, he could not cut one out of his life for the sake of the other. He'd have walked away if Ratio had closed that door, and if she closed it here, he'd have to do the same. It didn't matter how much it hurt him to do so; he could not lie to either of them about the feelings he felt any more than he could change them.