The Tangle She says the joys of life are lost among the living
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That you might be a father. That line shook him. Somehow, in the midst of everything, he hadn't even considered the outcome of their tryst. Ashlar's surprise showed clearly, but he shrank before her anger too. He hated that this conversation hurt her and was not sure how to fix this. Honesty was the only tool he had left.

I couldn't stay, if he didn't. I would let him go if he needed to. I wouldn't lie. He didn't know the source of her tone, and there was no way to pick up the song to respond. I don't know if it does. But he said he would try. His shoulders sank. He hadn't been sure what to hope for, beginning this conversation, but it was likely now he would not see her home with her. And if he was a father.... he couldn't even begin to imagine it.

Maybe their meeting had been a mistake, and if so, it was his fault. He couldn't have predicted falling for both but still - he should have known better than to think he would give her what she needed. As with Avicus, he should have stepped aside. He should have let the silent man win.

I'm sorry. He repeated it, almost without thinking, and dropped even more in posture - submitting to the way she stood and the edge in her words.