Fox's Glade silver basilisk
all creation myths need a devil
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
All Welcome 
the brisk breaking of a thinly clouded dawn heralded the return of stigmata to fox's glade. his approach cajoled the early birds of lore - sending them all scattering into a flurry of flustered feathers and offended cries as he marched across their pecking grounds - and he duteously ignored their trodden livelihoods; a plight immaterial to his own.

the wolf prowled along a roofless hall leading him through the wooded quarter of the dale, his pace casual but his destination already determined. he toted a posture that crowned him alert and formidable - despite whatever he might have gone through in the last few weeks - and this, accented by his char-smoked hide skinning a warhound's raw physique, made him seem unapproachable. a mis-classed villain, steeling his way through life the way he wanted to; at all times driven by sheer will and personal commitment.

he had his eyes on the sunspires, and his sights had not drifted yet.

nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Just saying, mobile posts are weird as heck, yo

Again she had set out in the early hours, even before first light, trying once again the advice Corvus had given her, and yet again she was disappointed.  Perhaps she had misread him --as far as she knew, he was gone into the ether like many other wolves -- and he was just as useless as the rest of his pack.  It was time for Treason to give him and his advice considerably less weight.  Back to her old routines, starting tomorrow.

At least she learned a bit more about the deer herds? Meh. Now on her return journey, her widely arcing path was bringing her back towards a scent she only vaguely recognized.  She couldn't quite place it, mostly because he'd been at the borders for only a few minutes before being dumped by his former pack. Either way, Treason altered her own track to intercept oh-so-casually.

And even as he came into view it took a few moments to figure it out.  Oh, it was that guy. Imagine that. As far as she could tell, his destination was definitely not the Hollow.  You really aren't sticking around then?  Though her words were neutral in tone, she almost sounded disappointed, despite the fact that they hadn't even really met.  Mostly she was just sad there was going to be no encore.  Maybe he'd at least be slightly more interesting than the rest of her walk home would be  -- and it would certainly satisfy her curiosity about what she'd missed in the Bearclaw backstory.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
through the autumnal glade sandraudiga cut a rather distinct path - so when the unnamed authority from hollow creek's helm came across him then, he automatically presumed it had not been by accident. the hound stopped moving, and cast his gaze suspiciously around them for an ambush. he tried not to imagine that this was some hit put out by indra, before the mistake was given levity when the hooded victress spoke.

his defensive stance melted away, tail hanging loosely at his hocks as he regarded the young wolf cynically. "you would have stayed? after being spoken to like that?" he asked sedately. it was an earnest question, whose answer would speak to the kind of wolf she was, and whether or not this conversation would be worth having at all.

she certainly looked capable enough, but she was young too, and in a position of power among other young wolves. it wasn't something to give up, nor was it the type of environment that bred kind responsiveness to criticism. she seemed like the type that honored strength, and strength in numbers would make the most sense to her at this age. wolves who had not yet lived to see more than one winter tended to have that opinion about survival.

hell, most of them at that age still missed their mothers.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
When it wasn't something official, Treason operated mostly in search of things to amuse her.  There was no reason that she would have done anything in the service of the two sisters, at least at this point -- there were no debts, little friendship.  They were still new and Treason didn't trust easily.  

And if Stigmata really was leaving?  Then that meant that he really wasn't a threat to her pack either.  He just kind of existed and that meant he was fair game to investigate as she might any lone wolf, even if she thought his actions at the border were somewhat illogical.  Though, the drama probably meant he wouldn't ever join the pack and thus meant he was less useful for any of her future plans.  She wasn't planning on sharing.

But there were a few things that Treason did very much like -- mostly watching fools getting their just desserts.  Mmm.  Maybe.  If it seemed likely they were going to quickly stick their foot in their mouth and cause their own downfall, it might be amusing to see the aftermath.  It's not like I know what might have gone on at Bearclaw that made you decide as you did...  A slight raise of her brows at that, inviting him to air their dirty laundry if he so wished.  Treason was always open to collecting new information to operate with.  It was a bit of a stretch on her part, but surely Laurel's sharp words had to have come from somewhere.  Would she be speaking out of turn in the future?  Treason was all ears.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
a furrowed brow lifted at her response. of all the sentences and sentiments he expected from a wolf, this had not been a scenario stigmata could have predicted. he understood her reasoning with crystalline clarity, even if he didn't agree with it these days. at her age, he might've felt the same way. as a yearling, he never would have considered "respect" more important than his residency. but this was not a boy - some child burdened by uncontrollable whims - this was a primed, adult male, and he no longer had any inclination to bide his time for anyone. let alone the incompetent.

"amusing or not," he rumbled without inflection; "suffering the company of fools for too long eventually turns you into one." let her make of that what she wished. he wasn't interested in airing out all of bearclaw's dirty laundry, especially via general prompting, but he wasn't inclined to lie either. anything she asked, within reason, would be answered candidly. "i served them through several full moons, and you see how i was rewarded at the end of things." he mentioned this in a way that suggested he was off-put by the hollow's acceptance of wolves who clearly felt nothing for anyone not blood to them, but in the next moment, the contention from him was gone and replaced with a slyly crafted expression.

he knew how they had weaseled themselves into lost creek. the same way they had burrowed themselves beneath his own skin and fur: using faces and demeanors like indra's to draw in unwitting victims. "they are a charming bunch, i will admit. it comes as no surprise to me at all that  your fellows took a shining to them, even despite the ill-treatment of their own packmate seeking compromise."
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Ah, fools, one of her favorite complaints.  Then I'll save you some future trouble and suggest you stay away from the Blacktail Deer Plateau wolves.  They are certainly not an intelligent bunch -- a new pack that formed to follow a cripple, and don't believe bears travel, among other things.  That grudge just wasn't gonna die.  The fact that they were theoretically allies? Didn't matter at all, it wasn't her decision to do so in the first place and now that the packs were so far apart it barely mattered.  Oh if only she knew the drama that had recently occurred there, she'd be sharing those hilarious (to her) tidbits with everyone!

She shrugged slightly, It was a bit more dramatic than I was expecting though, yes.  And though Treason didn't agree with Stigmata's actions, it had at least painted a mark on Laurel as someone to observe.  They could be their own downfall, as mentioned.

Then a slight frown.  She didn't like the idea at all that somehow they'd actually be successful at somehow being given something for nothing.  There was room for one wolf with plans in the pack and that was her -- they should stay out of her way and not interfere.  The one that matters values my service.  And honestly, she was pretty sure that Terance wouldn't be that easily swayed, would he?  Stigmata didn't need to know what had recently transpired in the pack, especially since he was heading off to places unknown. After her discussion with Indra about some of the history of Bearclaw, she knew they were potential trouble but she wasn't sure who to trust least of them.  Any could cause problems.  From their own mouths, I don't think they were ever a particularly logical bunch, even before you crossed paths with them.  Hindsight is always clearer, but I have no problem removing a hindrance if they prove to be one.  Especially if they crossed into her lane.
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
as dead-faced as stigmata could be, when something truly made an impact on his thoughts, it was easy to spot on his features how he was feeling. the mention of blacktail deer plateau elicited both a spark of recognition and one of bemused revelation. he knew only one wolf from that claim - the meek, easily disturbed ruenna - and he didn't know much else about the pack other than its general location, but hearing an outsider's perspective was helpful. tidbits to be tucked away for now, and then used to his advantage later, on proper date.

"they follow a cripple?" he repeated grimly. "i am afraid that absurdity is beyond my reckoning. i may have to just see it for myself." he was starting to think maybe all the wolves in these wilds had something more or less fucked up about them, but stigmata wasn't trying to uncover enemies where he currently had none, so he kept his perilously intolerant thoughts to himself.

the hooded virago began to expound then, revealing to stigmata that not only was she foredoomed by her age to suffer a bitter recourse at the paws of those she trusted, but also that she was in the same kind of situation he had just emerged from: wrapped tightly - safely - a relationship that forced her to swallow up her own opinions, so that she might appease the hearts and minds of... the one that mattered and the ones that mattered to that one.

"i was doing that. going along with things, despite my misgivings, because one of them mattered to me." he looked at her pointedly. indra had valued his service, but what had any of that meant when laurel had a say? what would treason mean to terance when his "laurel" spoke up against her?

his ears turned back, and he looked away. "i have no doubts you can handle any fray you are thrown into," stigmata mused. "i also think it is impossible to prepare completely for the day you find yourself spat on by those you have saw fit to help." and those bearclaw wolves - save for indra, and probably mona - would take and take and then leave when they could not take any more.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Of course, she had to confirm with sour humor, If it was an old pack, I could appreciate the loyalty to a long-term leader.  But why strangers stepped in line behind someone who will be a hindrance in the winter, I will never know.  She was surprised the pack had lasted as long as it had so far, but there was still time for the reality of winter to strike some sense into those there.  If they came knocking, Treason wasn't sure if she'd want to let any of them in.

No, he took her words a different way than the literal way she'd meant, so Treason shook her head slightly,
He matters because he is now the only one I have to answer to.  And before, when I expressed my misgivings, he was the one who moved to amend them, else you wouldn't have met me at the borders that day.  Treason wasn't the type to stay someplace she wasn't wanted.  Nothing if not practical, she'd already been looking for other options in case the worst happened, but when she spoke and asked for respect, Terance had delivered power to her instead.  In comparison to Stigmata, perhaps she'd been fortunate, but as long as she could continue to have her fellow leader's ear on things, Treason didn't think there would be any problems.

The other meaning did give her pause, watching him to see what he thought of what had been said.  She'd left the door open there on purpose, as if daring him to throw in his two cents.  In her mind, the jury was still out on whether Terance was even an option for future plans.  How badly had Seabreeze damaged him?  What did Treason herself even want?  There was still time to decide and she could afford to be cautious -- even if she was now old enough to bear pups, there were still months before the world would even allow it to be an option.

And as for his warning?  Well, at least for the short term it wasn't going to be much of a problem.  So many wolves weren't worth her bother or her trust.  Sure, she'd deal with them, but to give them enough weight that betrayal would do more than make her give them a disappointed look?  Much farther down the line.  Right now the rest of them aren't exactly in the position to be doing any ousting.  If it happens in the future, so it goes, but right now I'm not in the same place you were.  Being a leader meant that it'd be a mistake on their part to do anything against her, and she'd probably enjoy watching it explode in their faces.  What could underlings possibly do that would be of any threat?  She walked a Machiavellian line that let her be a devil and a threat, but quite useful enough that she doubted any coup would find many followers.

Could she trade one of the Bearclaw wolves for him, though? It would make conversations more interesting.
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
ah, stigmata bobbed his head slightly. so she did not remain in lost creek out of love for any of her company, but rather because it was convenient and her opinion currently had some weight behind it. being valued by a leader could do that, or it could turn out like it had for him - betrayed over a bit of longstanding blood. misinterpreted and shelved, without recourse, because he did not mean anything to them.

had he not dedicated every waking hour under their stead to the betterment of bearclaw? had he not done more there, since the time he had arrived, to ensure their survival, than half of the crowned leadership? his efforts had paled only to indra's, and because she was so used to sagging beneath the weight of caring for everyone else, she could not easily recognize or accept when a bit of that weight was being taken from her. she didn't know how to exist without the hardships her own family had bestowed upon her.

he stopped reflecting. "ousting?" stigmata snorted. "if anyone would have done any usurping, it would have been me," he told her flatly. "it is part of the reason i asked to remain as an outsider at first. as you wolves were kind enough to take in the valleyers, i imagined i would repay the kindness by not lingering about to prey internally on all your weaknesses." he had no desire to lead them anyway. as much as he wanted to be king, he wanted it to be over wolves he actually cared about.

it seemed counter-intuitive to forge such bonds by starting completely over as he was, but as acridly as he had been treated by the redleafs during this transition, it felt better than remaining where he was not only underappreciated, but negatively appreciated, if that was at all possible. "the wolves from bearclaw are not progressives. they are all quite meek, and even in cases where they are not, none of them individually have the fortitude to make any bid for power without the upperpaw." spineless, the lot of them.

"you would do better watching out for abandonment. they will use you and your pack to their advantage, until they decide very simply that they no longer require your... assistance." this wasn't true for all of the wolves of his former pack, but stigmata was too wounded emotionally to make the distinction.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She snorted.  He sounded so certain about it, but she doubted it'd be so easy, I think you underestimate some of us.  Mostly her.  She played the long game and so she was not going to let anyone else try to wedge themselves in the ranks above her.  Treason did wonder what exactly he was thinking he'd do.  Brute force it?  Seemed unlikely, given how everyone else would respond. Try  to convince the lower ranked wolves to follow him?  Eh, probably not, he didn't seem particularly charismatic to her -- Rannoch and Terance certainly had him beat.  That just left patience as well, but then again he'd also skipped out on continuing his plans at the Creek.  

His derision of the Bearclaw wolves was starting to bore her a little.  He seemed to just have the one dead horse to beat -- at least Treason had several that had cropped up in that short period of time she met the Blacktail Deer Plateau wolves -- yeah, sure he got betrayed but what else made them awful, c'mon...  If he didn't have anything else to warn her about regarding them, why not move on to something else?  That doesn't make them any different than most of the wolves around here.  I've seen many come and go, despite promises of loyalty or even blood ties. You learn to expect little.  Which was irritating, sure, but it just meant she had very low expectations of everyone new to start with.  The Bearclaw wolves were back to being mere pawns that would either accept and follow orders or get kicked out on their tails.  

But if he didn't expect any of these problems, what did that mean for Stigmata?  What did that say about him?  Treason inquired evenly, But you joined a joyless, dysfunctional group that has so many pups they misplace some, and not a mated pair among them and you expected them to be reliable?  What does that say about their self-control and reasoning? Their character? Why would you stay with a group so fundamentally broken when you obviously weren't in a position to force them to change? The more she'd learned about the Bearclaw wolves, the more she'd questioned letting them in, but by then it was far to late to just to turn them away -- she'd give them a chance to burn their own bridges now.  Stigmata, though, had been free to leave at any time during his membership with their group.  It was one thing to take advantage of cracks in the armor, but was he just too stubborn to give up on a futile cause until there was no other choice? Perhaps he really did belong with them, just as broken as the rest...
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
"on the contrary," he returned to her coolly. "i think the only one of us doing any underestimating is you." she clearly didn't think he was capable of usurping lost creek, not that she knew the methods he would have employed or how long he would have been willing to play that game, but he had shown nothing but deference to those saps and took them all quite seriously when he was scoffed at in turn. it made him think that he didn't need to respect them to avoid causing dissent - they simply weren't worth the trouble to begin with.

he was reminded of this as treason continued. he rolled his eyes as she seemed to expect something from him that she had not asked for. he had already volunteered more than he thought she deserved, and though it didn't seem to be enough, judging by her impatient tone, she wasn't interested in clearing up any grey areas for herself. stigmata thought her build was wasted with such a calloused brain. someone who expected so little would get just as little, as far as he was concerned, but he wasn't interested in expressing his opinion over her chosen lifestyle. nor did he feel like having his words negated simply because their positions of social power couldn't have been more opposite.

she went on to address the things he had supposedly ignored when joining them of his own volition, and the mistakes he had made by remaining. stigmata shrugged. "what can i say? i like a challenge. anything else is boring. where you may see turmoil to avoid, i see weakness to exploit. i tried to take advantage of their dysfunction by providing a directional head of power, and it was not the right method to employ. but neither was force nor kindness. so i tried, i failed, i am moving on. now, if that is all..." he eyed her speculatively, waiting for her to move around and let him continue on his way.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
It kind of seemed like he was even more full of himself than she was.  That was quite a feat in itself, but it wasn't exactly something that was arguable on either side.  It wasn't worth the breath.  Treason was sure she was in the right, regardless.

There were challenges, and then there futile attempts.  A 'directional head of power,' did he even see who was really at the helm there?  Who obviously had held the power?  Didn't seem like it, didn't seem like it was even really questioned by anyone except for him.  Perhaps he was just delusional about his actual abilities.  Either way, aside from striking her as a bit of a windbag with an axe to grind, she didn't think her pack was missing much by him flouncing off in the first place.

By the time she started to respond, Treason had started to continue back towards the packlands, You're right, I don't enjoy wasting my time.  But you're free to your chosen misery.  If he like torturing himself that way -- as seemed to be obvious by his continued railing against the two sisters -- then by all means, continue it elsewhere.  The two sisters in the meantime were conscripted to aid her pack -- Treason would see how their loyalties lasted.  She didn't expect much.

She'd head home.  In a way this trip had crossed two things off her list.  She was no longer curious about Stigmata, she was giving up on Corvus.  Treason had better things to concern herself with.
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
stigmata quirked a brow faintly after the broad's parting words. he found it amusing that she tried to act like he was the waste of time only after he had grown dismissive of her; her self-righteous age on full display. as for this being misery, well... it wasn't enjoyable, but if she thought any of this was anything close to misery then it was clear she hadn't lived long enough to know what real misery was. this wasn't despair, this was only a setback. the hooded creeker didn't seem capable of differentiating the two; though he supposed that to most young wolves, minor things would seem major when they had nothing truly major to compare it to.

no wolf of lost creek seemed able to understand this. all of their woes and concerns revolved around the physical realm and didn't seem to extend beyond this. it didn't matter to them that the wolves they were taking in had shunned one of their own without question and despite civility; they weren't interested in what any of that meant or the underlying causes of it. they only cared for gossip and speculation, and he found that he had been right to not want in on their ranks.

the warhound watched her go, finding it bad tact to turn completely away from a stranger, but he saw no value to her life and didn't see fit to impart the advice. only when she was out of sight, did he continue on his own way, feeling a rebound to the buoyancy in his gait as his thoughts returned to its imperial prison.