Neverwinter Forest would i do it again?
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
All Welcome 
And I'm proud to be a Neverwinterean — Mathieu walked through the territory, eyes tightly shut as he belted the pack's anthem — Where at least I know I'm free. His tail was helf high over his back, swaying in turn to each line of the song. It was an old melody taught to him by Grandfather, but he figured that there was no harm in repurposing it.

The warren seemed like the ideal hangout spot. It was Matty's ultimate destination, if his uncoordinated paws would cooperate with carrying him there. And I proudly stand UP! His voice cracked at full volume, sending a small flock of birds sqwuaking as they scattered. Sorry, birds! he called, continuing on his path.
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Things had been a little weird lately. There were strange scents and weird behaviors, and Simmik had tried her best to just stay clear of it all. At least they had finally started to gather more members, enough that she was hopeful that everything would be fine after all. 

She had spent a good part of the day patrolling, venturing farther back into the territory when she heard the rumbling of her stomach. The prey situation had slowly gotten better, although her ability to hunt anything larger than a hare had not. She had a feeling it was just one of those things that took time, but she was really impatient. 

Her thoughts were interrupted as she neared the warren. It sounded like someone was...singing? The song stopped for a few minutes but picked up again soon after, and she followed the sound until she found the source. It was someone she hadn't met yet. A man with a coat made up of different shades of grey. Had she not scented Mal on him, she might have gotten angry finding him here, but it was clear he was a new packmate. When she was close enough to finally speak to him, she looked at him, eyebrows drawing together in curiosity. What are you singing? she asked, trying not to portray just how weird she thought he was. She could at least not be rude to her packmates when they hadn't given her a reason.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
What are you singing?

Mathieu spun around with an expression of surprise. His eyes were wide and his mouth agape, though both were promptly shut. This was not another boy — he'd guessed this from her voice — warranting his uncharacteristic flutter. What was he supposed to do?

A song. He realized that his eyes were still closed. Laughing it off as a joke, he opened each one and smile, beginning an uncoordinated "swagger" walk back onto his original path. My, uh, grandpa taught it to me.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He looked surprised at first but quickly relaxed. She rolled her eyes at his answer. Obviously. She was going to say just that, but then he turned and started walking again, explaining that it was a song his grandpa taught him. She quickly caught up to him. Do you do that a lot? she asked, her tone curious. She thought it was kind of a strange hobby, but to each their own. As long as he pulled his weight here, she wouldn't judge—at least, not out loud. 

I'm Simmik, by the way. I've been here for a while, helping Mal, she offered next. How long have you been here? she asked.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Mathieu laughed and turned away. Not when people — girls — are watching, he replied. He knew that his voice was subpar, but that didn't pose a problem when surrounded by the guys. In his little experience, girls were more judgemental...more willing to hurt his feelings. Being afraid to embarass himself around them wasn't an issue until leaving Grandfather's domain.

Simmik. He locked the name into memory and replied, I'm Matty. She'd obviously been here longer than he had, based on her own words. I've only been here, like, two nights. Compared to everyone else, he was brand-spanking new. Matty still hadn't decided if that was a good thing.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Why was he being so shy about his singing now? He had been belting his song through the trees just a few minutes ago; anyone could have heard him. So it's like, something you do in private only? she asked, clearly not getting the point at all. If he liked to do it, then why did it matter if people were around?

Oh, so you're like really new, she said, looking him over. How did you meet Mal? she asked next, assuming he had since he was here and all. Oh and, uh, welcome, she quickly added, sure it sounded just as awkward as it felt to say it. She wasn't one for pleasantries, but she figured she ought to be more friendly with her packmates as long as they didn't give her a reason not to be. And so far, he hadn't.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Well... Mathieu couldn't answer this question without embarassing himself. He would have to either reveal his nervousness, or paint himself as some sort of shut-in. The options weren't too attractive, so he decided to scrap the topic altogether. Do you sing? I mean, you might be good at it...I think. Simmik had a pretty voice when she spoke, so why wouldn't that translate to singing, too?

He nodded along to her words. Yeah, he sighed, I met him at the border. Wasn't that how joining normally went? Maybe Matty had done it wrong, or something. How did you meet him? The scent of rabbit droppings continued to grow stronger, giving him an idea. Do you wanna do a hunt with me? Just a small one.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He didn't answer her question, which she thought was strange and interesting. He started to answer but then stopped and when he continued again, it was to ask if she sang. He even went as far as to tell her that he thought she might be good at it. She wondered how he knew that? She had never sang in her entire life. She decided to drop her own question for now and and answer his instead. I don't know, she said with a small shrug of her shoulders. I've never tried it. She looked at him curiously. Why do you think I would be good at it? Are you like, an expert or something? He could be for all she knew. As weird as it was to come across someone randomly belting out a song, she had never said it sounded bad.

He had met Mal at the border, which was no surprise. And apparently the leader had decided he was trustworthy enough to allow him within their ranks. I met him not far from here after I left home. I decided to come back here with him and help him defend the forest and find more members. And she had remained here, slowly making the forest her new home, all the while developing a deep loyalty to Mal. 

The invitation to hunt was met with a curt nod and a slight wag of her snowy tail. Sure, Simmik answered. What did you have in mind?
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Mathieu looked at Simmik and opened his mouth to speak, finding himself speechless. She was pretty enough for him to forgive her nonchalant attitude. You have a nice voice, Matty said, turning back toward the trail. He was happy to move their conversation along.

You're from around here? he asked. Did Simmik have a family? Mathieu thought about @Yves, wondered what he might have been doing... That's pretty cool. 

He stopped walking and nodded toward the warren, now within view. The soft chirrups of unaware prey animals were barely audible against the strong gusts of winter wind. He turned his head so as to avoid the worst of the blow.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
She was so surprised by his answer that she stopped walking for a few beats. She stared at him suspiciously, wondering what agenda he might have. Why would he tell her that otherwise? Maybe she was being too guarded, but until she was sure, she would keep an eye on him. She began to walk again, quickening her steps until she matched his pace once more. She was eager for a change of topic as well and didn't say anything more on the subject. A more polite wolf would have thanked him for the compliment probably, but she wasn't a fan of saying and doing things just because it was what was expected; that seemed fake, and she didn't like pretending.  

She winced internally at his next question. Her home wasn't a topic she preferred and she had opened herself up for questions by bringing it up in the first place. Um, yeah... she answered hesitantly. And then quickly she asked: Where are you from? She wanted to guide the conversation more towards his past and away from hers. 

She stopped when he did, her gaze moving to the warren when he nodded towards it. She welcomed the chilly breeze, closing her eyes and enjoying the way it bit at her cheeks. After a few moments, she looked back towards their intended targets. Hunting was one of her weaker skills. She had improved since being here, but the warren continued to be a place of frustration for her. She could catch the occasional rabbit out in the woods, but here they seemed to have more of an advantage. Do you have any tricks? she asked. Maybe he had done this before and been successful. She could just be going about it all wrong.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Mathieu didn't notice the space between them, or he didn't care enough to acknowledge it. Seeing her submit to the wind, eyes closed and head high, it was enough to relieve any doubt. He forgot her question and laughed, half-hoping that it would allow him to remember again. Uh, home, he whispered, I'll tell you later.

The pair were crouched at the advantage point, looking down at the bouncing rabbits. Last time, I just jumped inside, he explained, and...I did catch one. If Simmik was watching, she might have seen his confident head nod and the bashful smile that followed. So...I guess, we just go for it.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
His answer was just as vague as hers, and it made her want to know the real answer even more. But she would respect his right to guard whatever it was he was guarding. It wasn't like he was obligated to tell her the truth at this point; they didn't know each other that well yet. So she let it go, her focus shifting to their new task of hunting rabbits. 

She looked at him skeptically. She was obviously no expert on the matter, but rabbits had been a pretty frequent meal for her and she couldn't help but feel like his approach would just cause the rabbits to scurry in a million directions. Just go for it? she asked. No planning or discussing? It went against every part of her pragmatic nature.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
mathieu laughed. yeah, that's it. simmik seemed serious, much more contemplative than anyone he'd ever met. he thought that it was a good thing to know someone with an actual way of thinking; hanging around with less conservative sorts had only given him trouble.

ready? mathieu asked. depending on her answer, he would do as previously stated and, well, go for it!
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He laughed off her questioning of his method, surprising her a little. How could he be so laid back about it all. She was intrigued by it just as much as she was irritated. Sometimes, she wished she could approach things without so much overthinking, but she also thought that seemed a little scary. There was a lot of uncertainty when you went about things without any planning. She had been staring at him with curious apprehension, and his words pulled from inside her head. 

Yeah, I—but he was off towards the rabbits, and she had no choice but to follow if she didn't want to be left out. As expected, the second their prey heard them rushing forward, they scattered. Instinct quickly took over, and she zeroed in on whatever rabbit was closest, surging forward and chasing it as it weaved around rocks and the trunks of the tall evergreens. In a clever move, the rabbit led them back around to the warren and disappeared inside through a well-hidden hole. Simmik skidded to a halt, her heart beating furiously in her chest, and her adrenaline pulsing through her veins. It was an incredible feeling. She actually laughed, something she rarely found a reason for. Then she took off after another rabbit, not even caring whether or not she actually caught this one. Well, maybe she care a little bit; she would like a meal when this was all over.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
the refreshing sound of simmik's laugh drew mathieu's attention. he looked up from the rabbit's trail and stared, enamored by the moment's uniqueness. eventually, he did return to work; matty dashed after another rabbit, which had been inattentive enough to directly cross his path.

the creature led him through and around bushes, beneath the low-hanging branches of an elm, stopping finally beside his hunting partner. heads up! mathieu called, hoping simmik was paying attention.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik was paying attention, her gaze tracking Mathieu as he chased his own rabbit around trees and through bushes. So as the pair came running towards her, she got into position. And just at he stopped next to her, she took off after the rabbit. It lead her through the warren, forcing her to slow a little to pay attention to the various holes so that she didn't accidentally step into one and trip. Still she got close enough to lower her head and snap her jaws at the creature. She just barely missed it as it disappeared in another opening, leaving her with a mouth full of bunny fuzz. She skidded to a halt, panting and turning to Mathieu with a grin. Damn, I lost it, she said through exhilarated breaths. She looked around them but didn't see anything else moving.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
it's alright. there would always be next time, and until then, they could exhaust the caches together. mathieu jogged to simmik's side, panting as he fought to catch his breath. you wanna go again? matty hoped that she would say no, because he was honestly pretty tired. he sat down on his hindquarters, pawing at the mouth of a tunnel, while he awaited her answer.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik sat down next to him and shook her head. Nah, I don't think we could scare them out anymore right now, she pointed out. She would normally be pretty disappointed in herself for failing but strangely, she found she didn't care that much this time. She had actually had some fun, and she didn't often make time for that. It was fun, though, she offered with a small smile. Maybe we can do it again sometime. She looked away, nervous for some reason. She didn't like to make plans because then it opened her up for disappointment. But too late now. Besides, it was just hunting; no need to get all weird about it.
Inuttuk
Common
123 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
mathieu thought about things for a moment. he bumped her shoulder (just some camaraderie) and smiled, moving his paw to rest beside her own. of course, he replied, whenever you want.

then the nerves started to kick in again, and he was ready to say his goodbyes. i'll, uh, see you around. matty stood and tried walking away, but ended up stumbling a few times on his way out.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
His bump to her shoulder surprised her a little, and she whipped her gaze to him. He was smiling, and so she smiled a little in return, nodding when he said he was up for whatever she wanted. She tried not to dissect how vague his reply was but knew she would most likely find herself doing that later.  

She nodded again at his departing words. Yeah, sure, she offered. See you around. She watched him leave, shaking her head and smiling again as he stumbled. Then she turned and trotted off towards the borders.
Inuttuk
Common