Neverwinter Forest stinky pinky and sheldon
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
All Welcome 

She completed her examination of the badlands and continued toward the coast. Her mind was heavy with thoughts, each one more overwhelming than the last. Hours ago, she had been certain, and now... Ying sighed and settled beside the border, sounding a call for anyone listening. A small bird was sat before her as a gift.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It was almost time to go. He'd just finished the last patrol he'd be doing before the trip and had turned inland to go find Simmik when the howl came. He paused mid-stride in indecision for a moment then at last turned to go see what that was about.

Because of implications in last threads, let's say Mal kind of recognized her scent when he got closer. He tipped his head curiously when he became aware of this, striding forward with the casual confidence he usually carried. Mal looked her over briefly as he approached, spotting the bird that stood out against the snow before he looked back to her. Curious! Mal wore his usual grin, Familiar scent but not familiar face. I'm Mal -- how can I help you?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Familiar scent. She nodded her head and smiled, I know Vall-ky-rie. We hunt together. Ying picked up the bird and walked carefully toward him, dropping it just over the border's edge. He was an impressive male with an uncomfortably foreign coat, though her reservations were slight. 

How would she go about introductions? Ying didn't want to give him any identifying information, but knew that keeping herself discreet would be difficult with a friend already living here. She shrugged. I am Ying, she told him. Nodding toward the island, she added, I am from the coast. Kyr is nice, but I think I have to see a leader maybe. It felt like the right thing to do, anyway.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He'd met a few wolves that talked sort of odd, and he was unsure whether they all spoke the same language or what. His ears weren't exactly tuned to noticed the differences, and with a long enough gap between them  all he could tell was something along the lines of "they sound odd." Ah, yes. He was going to say something else when she brought the bird forward and presented it to him, We thank you. he dipped his head, then reached forward, picked it up and moved it a bit closer, accepting.

The coast, hm? he canted his head and looked out where she indicated. He was pretty unfamiliar with that part -- honestly, he never made it that far. Your pack is there? Or is there a chance we get to sweep you into our ranks? With the hunting you've done it's rather tempting... A playful grin at that. Okay, he had a bad experience near the coast and it had pretty well poisoned his opinion on the whole thing. But it just made him cautious rather than aggressive, and he kept it buried far beneath the surface anyway. He'd certainly had practice on that part. If he needed to, he'd fish around and see if she was part of that same group he'd met before -- though he didn't know that one was Rusalka and the other was Drageda. 

Well, you've managed to find the right wolf. I'm the alpha here,  So you've got me curious, what are you needing me for? He tipped his head the other way, smirking with an expression that almost asked for mischief.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
You are not so lucky, Ying informed him, My skill is only for a price. She smiled and winked, wondering if he might engage her jest. A curious eye swept over Mal's frame, taking in each of the details. He carried a decent build that implied some training, but perhaps only enough for proficiency. Ying wondered from whom he had learned. If there is a pack on the coast, I do not know it. The lie was small; if he appeared trustworthy, she would see no fault in switching the story. 

She settled into a seat. A careful glance was turned over each shoulder, disguised by a yawn and headshake. Excuse me, Ying laughed. Lifting a careful paw, she said: I am looking for fighters. Do you know where I can find some?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
His ears tipped outwards in a dramatic fashion to go with his sigh, Oh, how unfortunate. But that bit was over, and he looked at her a bit more intrigue than before, though still kind of playful. What he said was a mix between being serious and a joke, You say that and. Nightwalkers might think you're moving in on their turf. His ears pricked forward, curious to see her response at that. Oh, he'd be happy to give his review of Nightwalkers if she hadn't met them, but if she had, what did she think of them?

So was she just randomly hanging out where she'd pointed then? Well, whatever, far enough away that he didn't care too much, he'd just see what else she said. There used to be one out there. I don't know who they were were but they acted pretty crazy. If you're saying they're not out there, that's a weight off my shoulders. That didn't mean he'd go wandering on out there, but maybe he'd look that way with a little less ire.

He, too, took a seat. But warriors? Any particular reason? He let his caution be visible, but he wasn't dismissing it. Once they were healed, Kratos and Zephyr might be interested -- but Mal wasn't interested if Ying was outright trying to poach members.Talk about bold in that case. By all means, go ahead and plead the case.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Nightwalkers? The name was unfamiliar. Ying tilted her head and turned a curious eye toward Mal, wondering if he might elaborate. He continued to speak, furthing piquing her interest. What are they called? She remembered being told about Rusalka's past on the coast, and recalled Hydra's warnings about their behavior. She wanted to know if there was more to the story. 

Jūnshì, Ying replied, This word, I don't know it in this way. It's a bunch of fighters. She hoped that Mal might be able to clarify. I guard things. This place is dangerous, but too much to guard alone. The family needed be able to depend on her for safety, which she would be more comfortable accepting if there were others fighting at her side. 

However, Ying knew that she needed to clarify. Guarding Moonspear, too. I can watch this place, maybe? She wasn't opposed to striking a second deal. Depending on this pack's relationship with the aforementioned, a triple alliance (not counting Yuèlóng's participation) would likely be more ideal.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He shrugged, I don't know. They didn't say. It was almost a year ago. Three wolves appeared and tried to convince me to come with them. I refused, they attacked each other. I didn't exactly go back to ask. It wasn't 100% accurate any more, but it was close enough that if she'd asked anyone involved they could probably pin down the event -- only problem was everyone in that thread was dead now, aside from Mal, not that he knew.

Like an army? But made up of wolves of several packs? If he was understanding right, at least. He was making a bit of a jump there, but if it took power from Nightwalkers, she was all for it. Make them weaker, make them decide there might be better pastures elsewhere. I've been planning to go talk to Moonspear, he pondered aloud, and left it at that. They'd just met and all, so giving away his timeframe wasn't exactly high up on his list. But I agree. There world out there isn't all sparkles and joy. There is always something out there. I'm curious to hear more of what you are planning. The playfulness had mostly faded. This was business, after all.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She got the impression that some details were being left out. Why would a recruiting party attack within themselves? Ying locked the information into memory but ultimately decided that it couldn't have been Rusalka; they were too much like family, as had already been proven. 

Seeing the direction of their conversation, Ying wondered how she could dance around her fib. My family is a group there, by the water. I want to make that part safe, but also move here to the land and keep our, uhm, friends safe. Her face scrunched up into a frown as she searched for the word.

She giggled and shook her head. Sorry, allies. I forget words always. Ying looked up at Mal with expectant eyes, assuming that he might have more questions.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It wasn't like anything about that whole event had been clear other than the whole lot of them were weird and creepy. The fact the old hag turned out to be a part of the murderer group later hadn't been surprising, but she'd asked about the pack, not the wolves, so he didn't mention it.

Okay, her next part cleared up a little, explaining why she'd pointed a bit more specifically than one might have otherwise done so. A light smile, No problem, let me know if I've got it right, too. A pause for a breath, sort of that refocus before going through it, So is it like everyone who is able to offer some wolves to help would be included, and together we would all protect each other from whatever showed up? I feel like there should be a word for that -- but I'm not sure what it is. His expression was a little sheepish now, but at least he seemed kind of amused at his own failure there. Coalition was probably pretty close but Mal's education often avoided big and/or complicated words. (Education? What education?)

If he was understanding right, this was a much better offering than what Nightwalkers brought. Nightwalkers seemed to sound more like it was somehow going to be based in revenge -- or maybe that was the first reason Mal could think of anyone hiring them -- but Mal would prefer security. That was the big thing. If that's so, I'll have to check with my wolves, but I may have some takers who'd want to help.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Ying wasn't naive enough to think that every volunteer would be interested in protecting her family. She knew that they would each have their own motivations, and as long as it accomplished her original goal, she didn't mind. The guardian nodded to Mal in silent confirmation. You sound like me, forgetting things, she teased, That is what I want. Safety is important.

She was pleased to hear that he was interested in the proposal. However, becoming business partners meant that she ought to be more honest. I trust you a little more now, so I will tell the truth. A new pack is on the coast and it is my sisters'. Ying shrugged apologetically and looked up at Mal with a small smile, hoping he would understand the need for discretion. Yuèlóng, we call it.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Okay, so same page. He did smirk at her again, Only excuse I've got is if you learn from the world, you may learn the truth but nobody's there to tell you want to call it It was sort of a sort of fake complaining about it. But it was truth, too, just one overlooked by the fact he kept talking, It is. That is why I want to speak to Moonspear. There have been some lone wolves that have attacked some of my wolves. I haven't scented them since, but I wonder if they have had trouble too. He would much rather use their aggression for good.

Yuelong? he said, wanting to confirm he was saying it right. He was pretty close, at least. If the ones in my pack are interested, should they go there to speak with you? Or is it only when called on? Mal was going to make a point of waiting until after the trip to tell Kratos and Zephyr. They were both doing better, but he wanted to make sure they were actually healed before giving them something where he could totally imagine them overdoing it. Hopefully nothing crazy would happen in the next week.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Ying nodded along to Mal speak, but she didn't actually understand. She was more interested in the supposed attacks than his proverbial musings. You know what they look like? she asked, wondering if they might cross paths. It was a good place to start; once Moonspear knew about this, she was sure that Hydra would agree. I can patrol here, if you want. Ying had proven multiple times that she didn't take kindly to aggressive loners, nor did she respond with mercy to their pleas.

Please, do not send them there. She wanted to tell her sisters about this decision before anyone else had the chance. Normally, I walk along the coast. They can come there or sometimes, call me from here. Ying didn't need them to travel far because she would ultimately be sending them back toward Neverwinter Forest. However, she did like the idea of meeting and assigning volunteers herself.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal shook his head, Not first hand. I just know their scents off my packmates. (Though if Midar gets described in the ongoing thread about it, feel free to pretend that gave Midar's description instead!) But both went after those that were this past year's pups. So if there are younger wolves in your pack, they should be most careful. Both were also more inland. Maybe they haven't gone to the shore. But Mal's future treks would take him past where they had occurred. Not that he wanted to run into either of them, really, but if he found a trace, that was good to know. I would feel better if I had something solid to give you to find in the patrol. I do have other trips I need to make sometime -- they will take me towards where the attacks happened. I can look for more information then. He was sort of on the fence about it.

Mal wasn't going to pretend to know every detail about what Ying had planned. It was far better that those with interest get it from the source. He just needed to know the overarching bits of it. Okay. How far do you roam then? I don't know the coast. Would it be from close to Moonspear to ah-- I went through the fields north of the mountains, I don't know the name.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Depending on how long it had been since the occurred, the scent would have long since faded. Ying cursed quietly under her breath and wished she'd made this trip sooner. Spring is when women become mothers, and my family is mostly women. Knowing that the attacks had all occurred inland did not give her any peace of mind. Just as she had come in from the coast, the hostile could move toward it. This is something I care about. Thank you for telling me. Hydra's offer to pair her with someone meant that Ying could also become a mother this season. Giving birth while unsure of their safety was not an option she would consider.

Mal seemed like someone who she could trust, but she still wasn't sure. The guardian knew better than to reveal her itinerary — current or future — while doubts of his honor remained. I will tell you when I am near. Maybe not a talk, but I will call to you. Ying would return home and share (most) of her findings, but only after visiting ining the bay. It would likely be some time before she had a chance to come this far inland again. If they go up to the field — she motioned toward Honeyed Pastures — it is close to my hunting ground. They call for me and I will come there.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
If I find anything, you'll certainly be informed. As will any others. I don't think anyone would want them doing what they've done to anyone else. If they hadn't fled, they may wish they had.

He followed her gaze. It hadn't been the same he'd spoken about (should have specified Mal, good job), but that one was much closer, in fact. That'll work. He felt like things were drawing to a bit of a close. On one hand that was unfortunate, on the other, it had to be, didn't it? It wasn't like he could make her stay here. So it goes. Is there anything else I should pass on to the interested wolves? Head tilt.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Similarly, she felt that their conversation was coming to a close. Ying shook her head and smiled, content with the information exchanged. I will see you soon. The guardian waited for Mal's permission to leave before standing and beginning to make her way.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
And that was that. Thank you again, he said with a dip of his head. Once she turned to head off, he reached down to pick up the bird and take it in to the territory. Then to find Simmik, and soon they'd be off.