Broken Antler Fen This may call for a proper introduction
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Private 
@Eljay
no rush! whenever you have time <3
early morning, cloudy, 40 F

Hymnal barely noticed the chilly morning air as she made her rounds around the fen. She had explored the entire territory by this point, and she knew how to get anywhere.

But she was growing bored with lands inside the borders. She was too much of a rule follower to go outside the territory, so she had just had to find other ways to entertain herself. Usually she did this by playing with her sister and making up stories. Her stories were never as good as mama's though.

Today, she splashed through the shallow part of a stream and up into the marshlands that stretched out from the water. This would only keep her busy mind entertained for so long.
Brecheliant
Family
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay was happy that Hymnal and Sylvie weren't as curious for the lands outside; at least, not enough to break the rules to go there. Maybe @Maia could take them out of the territories at some point in the future — the thought was pretty worrying to Eljay, but he also didn't want to repeat the mistakes he had made with Elfie. He knew that he couldn't protect the children forever. If they had any of their mother's or grandmother's adventurous genes, it meant they'd express their desires to explore sooner or later. He just wanted to make sure it happened in a controlled environment this time.

Eljay was headed to a nearby stream for a drink of water when he heard splashing. He smiled when Hymnal came into view. She was such an energetic child; which made him even more grateful that she hadn't run off to explore the world just yet. Hey there splashy girl, said Eljay when he approached with a soft smile on his face.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Papa! she exclaimed when she heard his voice. Hymnal bounded through the water and over to him, tail wagging furiously. When she reached her dad, the cheerful girl stood up and placed her front paws on the side of his shoulder so that she could plant kisses on his cheek. Soon she would be too big to do that. 

Papa, I'm glad you're here, she said. I want to ask you something. She sat down in front of him, her face turning more serious, although it was hard for her to really be serious most of the time. But now, she had two really important things to ask him.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled broadly when Hymnal called out to him, his own tail wagging excitedly as he received his daughter's kisses. After that, Hymnal sat down in front of him and she suddenly seemed serious.

It was a big thing for Hymnal to be so serious, and it instantly made Eljay curious what she was going to ask. Oh? What's it about? the father asked, now also turning more serious.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Now that she had her father's full attention, she went right into her questions. I want to be a healer like you, she told him. Can I watch you take care of our packmates so that I can learn from you? she asked. She was fascinated by his knowledge of plants and healing and eager to learn whatever he could teach her if he was willing. 

Also, I want to explore outside the territory more. She was more hesitant with this subject because she didn't know how papa would take it. I was wondering if you could take me out of brecheliant to see something new? Just the thought of it was exciting and her tail waved behind her in response.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
The first question was met with a warm smile. Eljay liked that his daughter was interested in his trade. He knew it wasn't very glamorous. Eljay himself had mostly started it because his mother had been hurt, almost died, when she first gave birth. He had wanted to prevent that in the future, and that's why he'd become a midwife. It seemed Hymnal had stronger thoughts on the matter than he himself had, and Eljay was proud that she felt so strongly towards it. Of course, he said with a smile. You helped out well with Reyes. If there's time I'll call you when someone's hurt.

The next question was not received as pleasantly as the first. Eljay tried to hide that the question made him nervous, but as always he wore his emotions on his sleeve, so it was easy to pick up for others who were as sensitive as he was. Oh, he said initially, and then hastily followed up: Yeah, I mean — Sure, of course. He thought of Elfie and how he had run away because Eljay'd been too restrictive. He also thought of his mother getting hurt when he was little, and being gone for a long time... After a moment of hesitating, Eljay said, I could show you the lake, if you'd like. Maybe take you to the Caldera to meet some wolves there? If... When you want to go further, maybe you could ask your mother. Eljay smiled at Hymnal and said, a little jokingly, I get lost easily. Because he wasn't sure how else to describe the anxiety he felt immediately at the thought of leaving the Fen.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
To the first question, her father seemed eager to oblige. He said he would call her the next time he healed someone if there was time. A delighted grin spread across her face. Thank you, Papa! I would love that. She wanted to be a healer just like him and a story teller just like Mama. 

But to her second question, Eljay seemed more hesitant. She was very sensitive just like her parents, and she immediately picked up on the shift in his tone and the difference in his words. I would love to go to the lake, she told him, reaching up to lick his cheek. And you think Mama would be up for exploring farther than that? the thought excited her despite what she had picked up from her dad. If it really is okay with you Papa. this was said with a carefulness that gave away just how much she had read from him.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Hymnal said that she would like going to the lake, and Eljay nodded. Alright, let's do that sometime then, he said with a smile. He could tell that she was picking up on some of his negative emotions around leaving the territory, but wasn't really sure what he could do about it right now. Hymnal then said she'd go further with mama, and she added 'if it is really okay with you, papa'. Eljay wanted to say no, but he knew that he couldn't. He needed to embrace that Hymnal was her own person and he couldn't wrap her in bubble wrap and keep her safe from the big, bad world. It just wasn't possible. Eventually he said, Yes... Yes, of course. I'm sure your mother will be delighted. She, after all, had not explored nearly enough since they had had the children. To get to spend time with one of them and getting to explore again would probably be a huge bonus for her.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Hymnal got up and moved closer to her dad, her expression all excitement and gratitude. She pressed her face into his fur to embrace him. Thank you, Papa, she said after a moment. I can't wait to see the lake with you. It would be fun to go on an adventure with him. 

Staying close, she peered up at Eljay. Who taught you how to help wolves that are hurt? she asked, suddenly curious if he learned from one of his parents like she was going to from him.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled as Hymnal said she couldn't wait to see the lake. It'd be nice to show it to her. It was the place he knew best of all neutral territories. Eljay'd always been fearful to leave his home, but the lake felt like the safest place; close to home, and a bridge between the Caldera and the Fen.

At Hymnal's question, he answered: I learned a lot from Raven. She's one of the older pups of my year at Redhawk Caldera. She lives at the Frosthawks now, our family's pack to the south. I used to be a puppysitter first, then a midwife who helps when wolves are pregnant and helps them give birth. Only when I was a bit older I decided to also be a medic. Raven helped me a lot, and there have been some other wolves who knew a lot and taught me what they know. He didn't remember each of their names, though.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Papa explained that he had learned from someone named Raven who lived at Frosthawks now. Apparently they had a family pack somewhere she had never seen before. This was very intriguing to the curious girl. 

She might have focused on the family pack if dad hadn't mentioned some words she didn't know. Hymnal peered up at him, question in her expression. Papa, what is midwife, and pregnant, and birth, she asked. Papa had helped with these things, so it must be important for her to know.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay didn't realise that he was going a little fast for Hymnal. As she asked all of her questions, he blinked and paused. Oh, right, he said with an apologetic smile. Uhm, well, when a wolf is born, they are very small. Just like you were very small when you were born. And when mama was born, she was also very small, but uhm, longer ago. He was pretty sure that must be hard to follow, but he wasn't sure how else to explain it. He needed to take a step back to explain pregnancy, but Eljay wasn't quite sure how to get all the way there.

After a short pause, he tried again. Before wolves are born, a male — like me — and female — like mama — they get together and do something together that only adults do. You'll learn about it when you're older. That makes puppies grow in the female's belly, until they have grown enough to come out into the world. The growing is called pregnancy. The moment they come out can sometimes be complicated, and that is the birth. A midwife helps women with the birth. He hoped that it all made sense. Maybe not all of it did right now, but hopefully it'd plant some seeds towards understanding it later.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Papa was a little hard to follow at first. He said mama was small like her once, which greatly intrigued Hymnal. Her parents seemed like they had always been adults.

Then he said males and females did something together to cause babies to grow in the female's belly. He said she would learn more about that when she was older, and she trusted her dad on that. Eljay explained that birth was when the babies came into the world, and midwives helped with that. That was all easy enough to follow. Ooooh, okay, she answered. 

Her face scrunched in thought before she asked: Can two females or two males get together and have babies too? She didn't realize yet why the question was so important to ask. She thought she was just curious as always.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Thankfully Hymnal didn't latch onto his awkward, long explanation about the babies thing. Eljay thought he was out of the bad weather when Hymnal said 'okay', but then she followed it up with a difficult question. He looked thoughtful as thoughts went through his mind: at first, he thought she meant two males and two females, at the same time, and thought, 'well, I guess, in theory' — but then he realised she meant two males together, and two females together.

This was a little foreign to Eljay, although he knew that before him, Wildfire had had a female mate and they even had puppies; though not the traditional way, of course.

Eljay said: Oh, well... No, it takes one male and one female to reproduce. But uhm, sometimes two females or two males do fall in love, and become mates. They can't have puppies the normal way, but sometimes they ask someone to help out so they can still have a family. After his awkward start Eljay was able to wade through the subject fairly well, if he said so himself, and he smiled at Hymnal, waiting to hear if she had any more questions.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Oh okay, she answered. That sounds nice. So anyone could have a family, regardless of who they loved. It made Hymnal's heart warm. She was sure to have more questions as she grew older, and now she knew she could ask Papa anything. 

Papa? she asked. Are you and Mama going to have more babies? Hymnal loved the idea of more brothers and sisters. Her parents loved each other and they were together, so it made sense that they would have more children.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled, satisfied to see that Hymnal was satisfied.

The question about having more babies fell from the sky, as far as Eljay was considered. He blinked as he tried to think of what to say, and then said in the end, careful words, Oh. Well. I think so, but I haven't talked about it with your mother yet. Then, after a short pause: Would you like it if we had more babies? He knew it could be a sensitive subject, even though he hadn't encountered a lot of jealousy amongst his siblings — and so didn't expect it necessarily from his own, generous children.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Hymnal grinned at her dad's question, her tail wagging in circles behind her. Yes, Papa, she answered. I would love to have more brother and sisters. Her mind raced through all the things she could do with them. Maybe I could teach them something too, she added. 

She jumped up to kiss her dad's cheek, then she sat down and stared up at him, her grin still in place. Do you think I would be a good big sister?
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay was happy to hear Hymnal say that she wanted to have baby siblings. It was always a bit exciting. Eljay himself had always loved having baby siblings, but he knew that not everyone was the same in that regard. It was good to know that Hymnal was as excited as he'd been before his first baby siblings had been born. I bet they'd love to learn from you, Eljay said with a smile as Hymnal said that maybe she could teach them, too.

As for her question, the father was quick to bob his head in a nod. I think you'll be a wonderful big sister. They were lucky to have such good older siblings. Despite all of the turmoil in their first months of life, Eljay was pretty proud at how their children had turned out.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
I really hope so, Hymnal said in response to both things her dad had told her. She could hardly wait for them to be here; she wanted to be a big sister now. 

When will they be here, Papa? she asked, her look genuine and expectant. Surely it didn't take too long to make them. Maybe they could get started right now and then Hymnal wouldn't have to wait very long at all.
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay knew from his experience as a puppysitter that it was rare for children to be so eager to meet their little siblings. He was quite happy to see that Hymnal was so eager that she wanted to know when they'd be there yet. Eljay realised then that he hadn't even asked Maia if she wanted children again. He hoped she would, of course, but maybe it was too early to make Hymnal altogether too happy. After a short, thoughtful pause he said with a smile, When it's warmer again outside. The body of the mother decides when it's time, and we can't always influence that ourselves, but it's always in the warmer months of the year. He decided to leave out all the intricacies that he wasn't sure it would even happen yet, and keep it simple for now. Eljay did mentally note that he should probably figure out with Maia if she wanted to have children again in the coming year, though; time was drawing nearer.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Hymnal wasn't too sure when the warmer months were but she assumed they were still some time away based on how the adults talked about spring.Oooh okay, she answered. It was a little disappointing that she had to wait so long, but she realized it was out of her control. 

She stood and shook the water from her fur. Papa, let's race back to the den! she said, her face alight with excitement. 

figured we could wrap this up?
Brecheliant
Family
2,111 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled, content to have answered Hymnal's questions and glad that she seemed to more or less understand them. It was always a bit of an awkward maze to navigate through, heat and all.

When she suggested a race, Eljay's tail waved in a friendly acceptance of the challenge and he set in the chase. He could feel it in his bones when he started running that he wasn't as young as he once was; it had gotten a lot easier to let the children win in these kind of races. He followed, watching his excited daughter head on home, and feeling a gush of pride rush through him.