Moonsong Glacier And have been cold a long time
let the song of ice and fire begin...
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
@Dutch had wanted to hunt with her before, but she had declined. 

Frustrated, she needed a new task to keep her busy. What better way than the focus a hunt would bring her?

Calling upon the cheif, she waited, posture somewhat demure. 

She'd been tested before. The elders did so often. But to open herself like this, showing off what she knew to a stranger—to the leader of her new pack? It was unnerving. 

Even still, she held composure, and did her best to hide the nerves tingling beneath her skin.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The village grew, although not in the ways that the panther had expected. He wanted badly to see it prosper — but now few of the wolves he'd first pledged loyalty to remained, and more were ever taking their place.

Where was Tulugak?

Dutch was glad for the distraction when Eira called for him. He'd found her scent mixed with Fallen Sun's in the meadow, and he was eager if she meant to tell him they were well suited to one another. But when he arrived, he only greeted her with a twinkling smile and an all-too-casual, "Eira."

She smelled of him. It made the panther feel warm at a time when he felt he needed it.
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Dutch. She greets in return.

He had asked to be called this; and still, it unsettled her in a way she couldn't explain. At least... not in a way he would understand. 

A hunt, perhaps? With a tilt of her head, she let's the clipped question hang in the air, awaiting his acceptance or refusal.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
No news yet — but perhaps she would find her voice with a task before them.

"I am always up for a hunt," he replied. The chief lifted his nose to the breeze — but the deer he smelled were a little more work that he wanted to put into the day, especially with a smaller wolf at his side. "Why don't we find some rabbits," he suggested. "To line your sitik."

He stole a glance at her as he turned to head toward the meadow.

"You have met our sunset man," he said.

Casual. Nonchalant.

His keen eyes blazed with curiosity every time he glanced at her.
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
I have passed a few burrows. Perhaps one will be occupied. 

Sunset man. 

She smiled at the name, finding it fitting.

Yes. He is just as wonderful as you described him. The smile remains as she speaks, thinking back on the moments she shared with Fallen Sun.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
They moved toward the burrows, where Dutch was sure they could scare up something to eat. Many pelts had gone to waste since Ariadne's departure, and Dutch was eager to see if that situation could be remedied moving forward. He trusted Eria, nominally, but he would sleep better when he'd seen this skill for himself.

And there was her other task. She had made strides in this one, it seemed. The panther decided then that even if her only contribution to the pack was making Fallen Sun a happy man, she would still have a place among them.

"He is a good man," Dutch reiterated. "And I see he lights a lantern in you." He could not help an answering smile of his own as Eira seemed to dwell on fond memories. "Your children would be provided for not just by him, but by myself, and the rest of the pack as well."

It was soon, but Dutch wanted to know: "Could you be wife to him?" he asked her. "You needn't be certain yet — but if it is in your heart as a possibility, I will stop my searching."
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
She thinks on this for a moment. But she doesn't leave him waiting long.

I could. If it is something he desires too.

Normally, this would not be something she so boldly chased after. But would she not be a foolish woman to take such a golden opportunity? 

A decent man. Potential family. And, not to mention, surrounding bodies to support her. What could be better?
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The panther grinned wide. It was clear he thought this a victory.

"I will leave that up to you to determine," he said, but the laugh in his voice said that he was sure enough already. He picked up the pace, loping head as they drew nearer to the meadow. "Where are these burrows you saw?" he asked, his tail wheeling jauntily in time with his steps. "Or shall we hunt up a fox? That would make a fine pelt!"

Already, he pictured flame and ice pups curled together upon it.
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
She considers. 

You are right! Foxes do make splendid pelts, and the splash of color might be just what I've been missing!

A new tingle of excitement radiates through her limbs, carrying her forward even faster. 

Like rabbits, they are easier to catch hidden in their burrows. But rather, than run, they will give chase. One to draw away, and another to attack from behind? She suggests the tactic, the question in her eyes pointed at him.

If they were in agreement, all they would need to do is find said burrow.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The panther was charmed by Eira's excitement, and by the subsequent hunting lesson as well. If it were another man, he would likely have been annoyed by the brief explanation — but on Eira, he thought it sweet.

"You ought to be the bait," he suggested. "It's been a number of years since I've met a fox willing to chase me."

But he would go along with either plan, should she insist. And first, of course, they needed to find a burrow.

Thankfully, foxes were rather pungent creatures. The first few burrows were older, but they soon came upon a fresh trail. "Ready?" he asked her, tail whisking in anticipation.

Feel free to PP Dutch as needed!
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
She had played the role as bait many times before, so the suggestion was nothing she feared. 

When they came toward the discovered burrow, she nodded to Dutch, then approached the slim entrance. 

Only her head made it inside, a yip quickly coming from her lips, before a flash of teeth and fiery red fur appeared. 

Jerking back, she turned on her heel and scrambled in the opposite direction, prepared to run as far and fast as she needed to give her hunting partner the chance to make his attack count.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The panther crouched in hiding while Eira went sniffing into the den of the little beast. He did not have long to wait before Eira was off and running, an orange-pelted creature gnashing in her wake. Dutch sprang forward just as it finished it feint, and then it was a race to the burrow.

Dutch got there just in time to snag it by the back of its neck. He gave it a vicious shake, then another, and then it went limp with a sharp snap of bone beneath his teeth.

"Got it!" he called out to Eira. He made a sound, then, and spat out a tuft of fur. The fox's musk was overpowering — he hoped she would be able to get it out of the pelt. "Where do you want it?"

He didn't want to put it in his mouth again, but he certainly wasn't going to force Eira to carry the thing.
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
When the confirmation of triumph came to her ear, she skidded to a stop and turned, traipsing back to him. 

She sniffed the red beast, a content smile forming. Well caught, Dutch. 

After a moment of careful observation, and a few more sniffs, she nodded slowly, as if answering a question in her own mind. I will take it to my sitik. When the pelt is stripped, I will return what meat there is beneath it. 

And with that, she collected the bushy tail in her mouth and gave it a tug, chuffing beneath the mouthful when she was sure she could handle the weight dragging behind her.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
509 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
Dutch made a sound of protest when she began to drag it herself, pinning it with a paw before she could make much progress. "Let me carry it," he insisted, because he was a Man and she was not. He picked it up whether or not she agreed, easily carrying the weight. Whether it would still be easy by the time he reached her sitik was anyone's guess.

Fade?
92 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Yep! ^^

A frown formed, her eyes searching him as the red beast was taken from her hold. 

She would have protested, but thought better. If he wished to carry it, she would only be grateful, and lead his path toward where her work could begin.