Ouroboros Spine The alchemy was inelegant, though
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
In the interim, Aventus thought. By the time the first sentry arrived, he had hastily constructed the entire story of his life. He was tempted at first to take the name of Ursus' weakest member, but it was too dangerous to borrow the name of any of his pack. Even Ashlar, whom Aventus had lost all hope in.

The sentry's affable manner was ... Interesting, to say the least. Having been raised among wolves who likely did not know a joke from a threat, he found himself off guard. Zane's manner was entirely disarming, but Aventus reminded himself that he was supposed to be a weary traveler. Taking himself too seriously might blow the whole operation. So, after a noticeable delay that he hoped would be taken for exhaustion, he grinned back.

Duchess must be the name of the leader. Moonglow was clearly the name of the pack. Strange name, thought Aventus. Perhaps they worshipped the moon. Hail, Zane, he answered, in his smoothest approximation of Ashlar's soft voice. Minus the stuttering, of course. He could not take the bard's name, but his gentle personality, now that might earn a tick or two on Moonglow's trust meter.

I have been traveling for some time, and not found so splendid a place, Aventus went on, just as a red-furred regal wolf arrived. Not Duchess, surely, or her mini? The boy's silver eyes lingered on Aiolos a moment, then turned back to Zane. He smiled widely. My paws and belly can't take much more, you see. I am hoping to settle for a time before the snows arrive. Moonglow? What a lovely name. I am Arctos. Arctos Melonii. Best not to lie too much. It would be easier to keep up the charade. No one of Ursus would know him as a Melonii in truth, so this felt safe enough. He would not even know it, if not for Averna being able to speak where Astara could not.

For good measure, Aventus bowed his head low and swept his tail away under his legs. It felt a little foolish, but it also felt natural, in a way, to slip into the skin of someone else entirely. I don't suppose you might have need of a wandering historian and hunter, in exchange for company and board?
Messages In This Thread
The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Aventus - August 26, 2021, 11:35 PM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Zane - August 28, 2021, 09:00 PM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Aiolos - August 29, 2021, 03:14 PM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Aventus - August 30, 2021, 12:41 PM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Zane - September 04, 2021, 12:03 AM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Aiolos - September 09, 2021, 12:56 PM
RE: The alchemy was inelegant, though - by Aventus - October 13, 2021, 10:34 AM