Duskfire Glacier die with memories, not dreams
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane could not be more surprised to hear Askari speak up in defense of the father who meant to execute her for simply defying his will. It spoke to Lane of the intensity of her indoctrination, that she would see such a decision as simply a difference in parenting strategies. Askari did not owe that man a lick of gratitude, in Lane's opinion. Children do not ask to be born, and they do not owe anything to the parents who choose to bring them into the world and raise them. On the contrary, children are owed a certain standard of care from their parents, and in attempting to take her life, Askari's father could not have failed her more enormously. 

But Lane would not point this out. Askari had made it clear that she wished to hear no more criticism of her father, no matter how much the man seemed to deserve it. 

Lane listened to Askari for a long time, making no move to interrupt or quiet her. The new recruit seemed to have kept a lot bottled up, and she now appeared to be enjoying this outlet. 

When Askari had been quiet for long time, Lane spoke her piece in turn. 

"I can absolutely confirm that leaders are not superior in every way. I don't imagine I'm superior in any way," she admitted wryly. "But when Wintersbane fell, Duskfire Glacier needed to be led. I was willing to do it." She shrugged. "And my willingness was not out of any place of nobility either... I feared for my children. I stepped up to lead so that I could carve out he best possible future for my family. If Duskfire Glacier as a whole benefits from my leadership, that is merely icing on the cake." She knew this admission would not go over well with Duskfire Glacier as a whole, and so she trusted that Askari would keep the revelation private.

"Maybe you would consider that to be following my heart?" Lane asked hopefully. "Anyway, I'm glad you're here, Askari. I can already see I've chosen my advisor well." 

The pair neared the border of Duskfire Glacier's claim now. To reach their destination, they would need to cross into the unclaimed lands of the greater Taiga. 

If you want, we can fade here and pick up in a new thread outside of Duskfire Glacier. Might give you a chance to earn two counselor threads for Askari, if that's the trade you're shooting for.
Messages In This Thread
die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 16, 2021, 11:12 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Lane - November 17, 2021, 03:47 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 17, 2021, 04:07 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Lane - November 17, 2021, 04:37 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 17, 2021, 04:54 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Lane - November 19, 2021, 09:05 AM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 19, 2021, 01:17 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Lane - November 20, 2021, 10:47 AM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 22, 2021, 12:05 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Lane - November 22, 2021, 05:39 PM
RE: die with memories, not dreams - by Askari - November 22, 2021, 10:45 PM