Redsand Canyon then I heard your heart beating
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
<3

Sounds and scents he wasn't familiar with came from inside the den, intensifying his curiosity and his worry. He knew Aquene trusted Qiao, and so he would too; it was the only way he could assure himself that his wife would be okay. Her story about her mother and about the matrona's birth tortured him from time to time, but he tried his best to remain calm for her sake. It helped that he had a job, something to focus on—keeping Aquene protected. 

He was unsure how long he had been in the entrance of their den when he heard the tiny squeaks that could only come from an infant. His heart started to race. It was more real now than it had been the last two months. They had watched the pups grow within his mate, but now that one was here, he knew he was needed to be a dad. He wished he could go inside and check on Aquene and the child, assure himself that they were fine, but he kept himself glued to the ground where he was keeping guard.

Some time later, he heard the squeals of another pup; from what he could tell there were two so far. He wondered how much longer she would have to endure this. 

It turned out that there would only be two, which was a relief; he couldn't imagine having four like the imperator and matrona. Aquene softly called to him, and he answered immediately by standing and turning to trot inside. 

His eyes found her first as he checked her over—she seemed okay, tired, but okay; he felt a weight lift from his chest, and he could breath a little easier. He looked next to the two pups tucked against her stomach. They ate ravenously. He was amazed at how small they were—so small and vulnerable. He knew right then that he would give his life to keep them safe. 

Aquene, he murmured as he moved to her to nuzzle her cheek. Twins. They're so small, he told her, unable to get over it. The imperator's children were small too, but it somehow meant more with his own. Kallik settled near her head, purposely blocking his family from the entrance. He reached over and gently nosed each pup. Sons, he said with a small, proud smile. Two sons. Two future soldiers to train. 

He kissed Aquene's cheek and then pressed his head to hers. I love you, he murmured. His heart was so full it might burst.
Inuttuk
Common
Messages In This Thread
then I heard your heart beating - by Aquene - May 10, 2022, 11:01 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Kallik - May 10, 2022, 11:29 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Qiao - May 11, 2022, 08:47 AM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Aquene - May 11, 2022, 01:21 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Kallik - May 11, 2022, 02:36 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Siku - May 11, 2022, 05:03 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Qiao - May 19, 2022, 06:07 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Aquene - May 20, 2022, 08:43 PM
RE: then I heard your heart beating - by Nanuq - May 25, 2022, 12:31 PM