Blacktail Deer Plateau mandrake paddle steamer
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
backdated to afternoon of the 10th. here is your YULE INVITATION!

As the solstice drew near, Lily got to thinking of her mother. Their mother, now that Freddie was here. She was a keen woman with an eye for the stars, and she knew the moon like her own mind. The most important night to Janis was the winter solstice--the longest evening of the year. There was something magical about this velvet darkness that went on and on. Janis had called it Yule.

And there was much singing and dancing, tale-telling and laughing--and food! So much food. The hunters worked hard for days to fell as many deer as they could, and those carcasses, plus myriad small game, were all gathered to enjoy. They all were merry under the stars.

She missed it. But why miss what she could have? So, leaving a brief word with Khali, she set off.

The first pack she meant to invite was this one, on the plateau. The mountains didn't take so terribly long to cross, which was good. She took the route Ruenna had given her. Time was of the essence. But there was another reason why she came here first.

Liri. She hadn't seen the woman in quite some time, and while there was petty resentment in her heart for the healer's abrupt departure from Bracken Sanctuary, Lily wasn't a monster. She wanted to see how she and Kavik were faring in their new home. It would be so wonderful to have them and their pack take part in the festivities.

New beginnings in mind, she lifted her head and howled, an excited smile curling the corners of her lips.

Maybe Mum could even hear her all the way out here. Maybe she'd be proud.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Sooo much excite 8D !!

With so many packmates to care for, Ruenna had more or less forgotten than Blacktail Deer Plateau's allies even existed. And who could blame her? There was Minori's concussion, Issun's dismemberment, Siqsa's infection, Liri and Elixir's illnesses... was she forgetting anyone? It seemed that all the Beta had done this winter was travel from sickbed to sickbed, doing as much for the afflicted parties as was needed (or in some cases, permitted). 

Rue's pack had encountered so much misfortune lately that she automatically assumed the worst upon hearing Lily's summons. The Beta's heart fell into her stomach, knowing that the Plateau could spare no bodies to assist Elysium. However, the longer Rue listened to Lily's howl, the more hopeful she became. There was emotion behind her tone, but not the sense of urgency that Rue had come to expect from distress calls at the border. Was it.. could it be excitement, perhaps? Joy, even? It had been so long since Rue knew such a feeling, she wasn't sure she trusted herself to identify it. 

Rue smiled as she neared Lily, recalling that their last encounter had been pleasant despite being rather short. The Elysium wolves had been in the middle of establishing their claim and had been understandably busy then; perhaps there would be more time now to get to know Lily. "Hello again, Lily," Rue chimed. Her pleasure at once more making the woman's aquaintace was plain, although it did not altogether eclipse the weight of stress upon the Beta's features. "I hope you and Elysium are well."
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"Issun's dismemberment" m'scuse me WHAT

It wasn't Liri nor Kavik that greeted her, but Ruenna, the scout she'd met before. She was only slightly put out by this turn of events, her tail thrashing in happiness. And the same to you and yours, Ruenna, Lily chirped back, grinning. Oh, if she only knew.

I came here to invite you all to a party we're hosting in the willows, the blackbird continued. She peered over the woman's shoulder, orange eyes searching. Are Liri and Kavik nearby, do you know? It would be lovely to speak with them. Beggars couldn't be choosers, but she had come all this way.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Stars, Lily looked happy, didn't she? Ruenna returned her grin with a much more subdued smile and curious tilt of her head. What had brought the Elysium wolf to their border looking so.. delighted?

Lily did not waste time in reavealing her good news: Elysium was to host a party. A party! Rue's expression lit up, the very idea of an interpack gathering bringing back warm, nostalgic memories. "How exciting!" Rue commented, tail beinning to mirror Lily's happy wagging. 

The woman's next question brought Rue crashing back to reality, and she deflated just a bit. "Liri, is.. um.." Lily and Liri were friends, right? And Elysium were allies to the Plateau. There was no reason for her to hide all of their recent misfortune. "Liri is under the weather, currently. But I'm sure Kavik will be along shortly." @Kavik wouldn't miss a meeting like this.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Sorry!

The call interrupted his silent contemplation on the cliffs above the plateau. He found himself up there a lot, especially when he found it hard to put on his alpha face and deal with his duties. He didn't want to let on how difficult it had been that his mate was so sick. It seemed it was just the icing on top of a really shitty cake for the plateau wolves, though. Their bad luck started with the bear attack and seemed to just continue from there. There had been a continuous revolving door of members, which made him incredibly nervous now that winter was on them; Minori and Issun had both been injured; Elixir and gotten sick as well as Siqsa. It just seemed like a lot of bullshit that his pack didn't deserve. 

He was eternally grateful for the silver beta. With Grezig gone and Liri sick, without Ruenna, he would have to shoulder this burden completely alone. He still tried really hard to not put too much on her, but there were some days when he didn't even want to leave his den, and it was reassuring to know that if he actually didn't, Ruenna would be there to hold down the fort. 

With a small sigh, Kavik slowly got to his feet, recognizing the call as Lily's and not wanting to make the Elysium leader wait too long. He hadn't seen her since he was at the sanctuary, but she always seemed like one of the good ones. He padded down the mountain pass to the part of the plateau that opened up to the mountains. There, he saw Lily and Ruenna already in conversation. 

He moved to stand next to the beta, giving her a dip of his head in greeting before turning to their visitor. Hello, Lily. It's good to see you. Sorry to keep you waiting, he offered, slipping into his alpha mask. What can we do for you today?
I'm no good without you
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
They only got to celebrate for a little bit, for it seemed that Liri was in a bad way. Her mouth pulled tight with worry, wondering how severe the illness was. Give her my best, she murmured, and then Kavik appeared, and her face lit up once more.

Kavik! she exclaimed, eyes creasing to slits with her grin. Wonderful to see you as well. I was just telling Ruenna about a party we're having in our new territory, the willow forest across the mountains. It's for Yule--the winter solstice. Will you come? You all are invited, she pressed. Though with Liri sick, perhaps he would choose to stay behind. Disappointing, but she couldn't blame him. . .
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"I certainly will," Rue replied, turning to welcome Kavik with a tail-wag as he approached. Lily repeated her news to Kavik, and the Beta awaited his response hopefully. A Yule party! This was an excellent opportunity for Blacktail Deer Plateau to unify and boost morale, Rue was sure of it. Should Kavik look to Rue for her opinion, he would see encouragement and a spark of excitement in her expression.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He could almost feel his beta's excitement at the mention of the celebration. It was a good idea, especially for further solidifying their alliance, so of course he would be there; he just wished he could feel as excited about it as Ruenna did. He certainly wouldn't put a damper on anyone's spirits, but it was hard for him to feel anything other than deep sadness at the thought of attending a pack function without his other half. But he was being alpha right now, and so he nodded his head. Of course we'll be there, Kavik replied. We wouldn't miss it. If anything, he hoped it would give the pack some joy after the hardships they had all faced lately.
I'm no good without you
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Wonderful! she replied, tail beating against her hocks. Oh, I'm so looking forward to it. I do hope Liri is feeling better by then; give her my love, please? I hope you all have found happiness here.

It didn't seem it, though perhaps it was simply a rough patch. God knows Elysium/Bracken had been put through enough of those. She could empathize entirely with their plight. Her face grew solemn, thinking about it, then brightened once more.

It'll be a full moon, I think, Lily murmured, staring between the two of them. I'll send out a howl, the day of. What if she got it wrong? What a disaster that would be.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
A dubious expression crossed Rue's features as Lily spoke of "finding happiness," and the beta declined to comment. She would not tell their ally that fortune had smiled upon them when it had in fact been quite the opposite, but she would leave it to Kavik to deliver any such updates. The Plateau was his pack and Lily was his friend, he would know better than Rue how much to say and what was, perhaps, better left unsaid. 

"I'm really looking forward to seeing Elysium," Rue answered instead. And she certainly was; last time she had visited the willows the Elysium wolves had only just arrived. She was curious to see how they had settled in and what they had done with the place. "We'll listen out," Rue assured Lily with a smile. A full moon on the solstice was quite auspicious, in her opinion.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He wished he could tell Lily that they had found happiness--hell, he'd settle for being able to tell her that even just the other members of his pack had found happiness, but it seemed that was not in the cards for anyone at the moment. Since settling here, it had been one thing after another, and Kavik began to wonder if the plateau was cursed. Maybe he was cursed--he didn't know, but he hoped their luck would turn around soon. He offered the Elysium leader a polite dip of his head. We'll keep an ear out, the alpha replied, mirroring Ruenna's sentiment. It was very good to see you Lily. I'm glad to hear that you guys are thriving, he added, happy to know that not everyone was having as hard of a time as they were. Unless either woman had anything else to add, he would take his leave.
I'm no good without you
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Lily returned the warmth, smiling. Yes, lovely to see you both again. I'll see you at Yule! With a nod, she turned and departed, knowing that there were more invitations to be made. It was a long journey, but she was excited enough not to dread it. Her happy paws would carry her a long, long way.

It didn't go on like that for much longer, but it was a nice thought while it lasted.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Kavik chose not to disclose the extent of their troubles to Lily, and although Rue didn't know the reason for the secrecy she trusted that this was intentional. She returned Lily's smile and then her nod, watching the Elysium wolf depart. The beta then looked to Kavik with a cheerful wag in her tail. Optimism was hard to come by these days, and simply being in the presence of Lily's happiness had been rejuvenating. Perhaps the Yule party was exactly what they needed to revitalize the wolves of Blacktail Deer Plateau. 
Fade/archive?