Wheeling Gull Isle knew you were empty
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Private 
Meet me at the border.

Ying's call for @Orochi was short and straightforward. They weren't friends by any accord, but she had developed some respect for him. Three-legged though he might be, he'd shown some potential. Ying planned to help him build on his combat skills, whether through voluntary means or something other. She sat patiently beside the border, ears perked to hear his approach.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
Orochi really, really didn't want to be bothered right now. He was too busy kicking rocks, biting trees, dodging nothing. Just working on his skills without a partner. But he couldn't ignore the call forever; she'd just come find him eventually and he did not want her to catch him like this. So he went to the border.

What do you want? He pawed at the ground impatiently.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Why did he always have this attitude? Ying thought that Orochi might benefit from some therapy. You are called the Jiàngguān, the guardian of this island. I am guardian of this family. She wanted to make sure that he knew of his own title and position before continuing with the proposition, I am making an army to protect this coast. Do you want to help me? There wasn't a reason for specifics yet. She wanted to guage his general interest before indulging too much into her carefully guarded plans.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
He blinked slowly, not believeing what she told him at first. It hadn't been too long since he arrived and he was already made a guardian of the island, someone others looked to for protection. The revelation shocks him at first, then a surge of pride and joy flows through his chest. His life was really turning around here.

Orochi was feeling a bit more smug after the boost in confidence. He puffed his chest and replied, Depends. Who's in this army? They better be as good as me when it comes to fighting.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Orochi's technique needed to be refined. He was too emotional, and it didn't sit well with Ying. She was willing to train with him, to work toward mutual improvement, but knew that her invitation would be revoked if he proved to be unfit. She lifted her snout and stared down at him through cold, focused gaze.

You like to fight? Ying asked. She continued before he would have been able to reply. There are real fights that my family does not know yet. He had a clear inferiority complex which she hoped to manipulate with promises of grandeur. I want to train you more, so you will be ready.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
Hell yeah he liked to fight. No, he loved to fight. And the promise of a real fight, whatever that meant, was enough drive for him. No more little spars here and there, it's time for some excitement.

Orochi felt a rush of adrenaline. He smirked and lowered his head. If she was gonna train him, she'd better give it her all. Alright then. Come at me!
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
First, change how you stand. She glanced at the stub and nodded, Fight like you have three legs. Orochi's stance would have made it easy for an attacker to knock him off balance. He needed to shift his center of gravity, extend it as far as was possible by widening his legs. 

Assuming he would take her advice into account, Ying rushed toward his forelegs with shoulders aiming for his forelegs.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
What? Change how you stand? Orochi grumbled and looked down at his legs. His feet were close together. The only other stance he can take is a wide one. One by one, he spreads his legs apart.

When he looked up, she was already rushing towards him. He had to think fast. If he faced her head on now he'd trip, and that would be the end of it. Quickly, he moved out of her way just in time. Orochi stumbled a bit, but he was able to regain his balance.

Maybe he'd have better luck if he was the one charging at her. Orochi raced forward in a similar fashion, aiming for her foreleg with a shoulder just like she had done.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Good, Ying complimented. She watched him shift positions and did the same, so that the pair were facing one another. She didn't move against his attack; the guardian stood steady as he barrelled into forelegs, knocking her onto her back. Quickly, so that she might be heard, Ying commanded that he, Take my neck. To make it more difficult, she pushed her chin down onto her chest and lifted her legs as guard.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
As she fell down, he felt himself lean to the right. The collision had knocked him off his balance and he soon found himself on the other side of her. How embarrassing. He'd have to find another way to topple his opponent, or find a different strategy entirely. That was something he needed to think about later. He quickly scrambled over her.

Orochi did as he was told; he snapped towards his neck, though he couldn't get too close with her legs in the way. Keeping his balance also proved to be a struggle; he needed to periodically stop to maneuver himself.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Orochi's recovery wasn't fast enough. Ying was impressed by his recovery, but knew that it could have been smoother. She barked for him to stop and, if able, scrambled back onto all fours. Is this how you fight? she asked. They would need to figure out something more effective. 

Assuming he had backed away, Ying took a moment to think. She wondered what might happen if attacked from beneath, as opposed to approaching from the front. Maybe, try to come for the throat but from the side. Ying would be in a more compromised position; her forelimbs would be locked and her jaws blocked by his head.

She nodded for him to continue and braced herself for impact.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
When she moved from underneath him, he backed off and planted his paws in the sand again. That was an embaressing slip up. Orochi shook his head and growled. No! I just wasn't ready.

He didn't want to listen to her suggestion, cause he already looked like a fool. But everything she said this far was working, so he may as well try. When she nodded, he rushed forward again. This time he swerved to the side and aimed for her neck from there.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Orochi's teeth sank clean into Ying's neck. She had purposefully placed herself into an unideal situation — even if she wanted to retaliate, she no longer had the means — and depended on him knowing when to stop. To signify her surrender, Ying buckled her two forelegs and fell onto her elbows, leaning away from his grip.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
The embarrassment from the fall would be felt later. For now he relished in the fact that all had gone well; he grabbed onto her throat without fail, and she had surrendered.

Orochi let go and skipped backwards. His face glowed with shock and pride. This was just practice, but he still won, and he hadn't won anything in awhile.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Fade with more practice?

Good, she complimented. Ying turned around, exposing the uninjured side of her throat. Again. This time, I will fight you for it. Teeth bared, she turned toward Orochi and waited for him to make his first move.
435 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Warrior
It wasn't over yet. Ying turned around, ordering him to attack again. This time taking her down wouldn't be that easy. Orochi smirked and lowered his eyes. He liked the challenge.

He lundged for her again. The two would continue the training for as long as they needed.