Whitefish River I Can't Believe There's Somethin' Left in My Chest Anymore
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Private 
@Hieronymous we gonna say its some warm fall air dated to right after Ira comes home from YL

So much running around. Truly, the change of pace of life was beginning to hit as winter neared. The Count had dealt with newcomers at the borders only to run to the sea and secure a long time coming alliance, but what surprised her most was running into Hydra on her way back from Yuelong. More importantly that Hydra had been looking for her. The last time she saw the Queen her mother had still claimed the throne, and now? Now she harbored Speedy who she knew the Queen wanted dead. Perhaps it was luck that their paths crossed before the other ruler made it to their home.

Enough about that though, she needed to relax. Shocking coming from someone like her, she knew the irony in her thoughts. While she still had the freedom of some time alone (before two troublesome girls found her) Ira kept close to the borders trailing along the river in some relaxing silence. It wouldn't take long to come along one of the sandy banks that swept into a mildly deep spot of the river, something all too inviting given the weariness in her bones and fall heat. Carefully stepping into the flowing water, Ira allowed herself to sink down and sit and as the water lapped at her sides she would sigh closing her eyes.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
While Ira was gone for a few days, Hiero and the newly appointed Chamberlain Speedy were the ones to watch over the pack. Thankfully he was growing stronger every day, his legs felt more sturdy with every step now that they were almost completely healed. Certainly, they would still be sore despite being functional - but it wasn't like he could tell; and so the man walked around with a new-found strength. 

Returning to his usual patterns, the Constable walked along the borders - nothing has really changed thankfully. His rounds eventually brought him to the riverside, wandering by its banks as he wondered just how cold it might be now... if it was good to take a dip or if the temperatures plummeted already. This little curse of his really did complicate so many things that most seemed to take for granted.

Upon walking a little further upstream, it was almost as if his questions were answered. Ira was in the water, so it must be fine he supposed. With a calm smile, he continued on his path, clearing his throat to announce his presence to the weary Count. They didn't really see much of each other since her return. How's the water?
New Threads: closed, he's dead, let him rest
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
For a few minutes a peaceful silence stretched with only the sound of bubbling from the river to fill her ears. However, silence never did last long, be it good or bad. The snap of a twig caused her ear to swivel followed by the sound of someone clearing their throat. Ira didn't need to turn to know who it was, his voice had already given him away.

The Count hummed taking her sweet time to finally turn and look at her company, Wet. One side of her maw lifted into a content smirk. It was a bad joke, but jokes were never her forte so finding one was an achievement to her. It feels nice. The smirk was quickly dropped, replaced with a much more sincere smile as she let her eyes close again. Did Speedy clear you for patrols or were you looking for me?
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
He couldn't help but let his eyes wander her figure once more, how the water caressed her muscular physique and just how peaceful she seemed in the moment. It was almost a shame to disturb her for such selfish reasons of his own. When she turned her eyes drew him in, as much as ever. Her smile, her joke didn't go unnoticed either. The Constable just had to laugh.

Oh I'm cleared for patrols. He sang back, striking a gallant pose. Tail curling proudly over his hips in a playful display. He would never show dominance unless needed, and it never was with Ira. Thankfully it never was with anyone in Kaistleoki either. Bumping into you was a mere pleasant coincidence.

Taking a couple of steps closer, tail wagging behind him in a slow rhythm as his head cocked to the side. Mind if I join?
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Though the Count could not see the painted man's extravagant pose she could tell by his voice that he was doing something goofy to show off as he often did. She had no proof from Speedy to back up Hieronymous' words but he wasn't the type to lie. If anything, he was more likely to just not listen so she would believe him for now. He seemed to be healing well, his broken bones looking more natural as the weeks passed along with the return of some handsome features now that his face swelling had vanished and he put some weight back on his bones.

A moment passed, then another until Ira's eyes shot open in a state of shock at her own thoughts. Handsome??? Her friend's voice pressed at the back of her mind as she inquired her about what she believed to be a "blooming relationship" but Ira had tried to shut that down fast. Diving into love wasn't a good idea, not for her. It would just come back to bite her later, besides it's not like admitting he was attractive was in correlation to her falling for him— it was a fact! The same could be said for many other men in Kaistleoki.

Despite her hard refusal, however, there was no denying her now burning face at her inner rejection. It was stupid and of course, she continued to ignore it. In her stubborn refusal, however, Ira noticed it had fallen silent and her Constable was just standing there leading to her trying to quickly recover and backtrack for his last words. Join? In the river?

Ira hummed, her gaze wandering up to the tops of the trees as she feigned some hard thought. I dunno, the river is only so big and I fear I've taken quite the fancy towards it. Despite her convincing words, the Count's tone showed her jest as golden eyes fell back to the knight with a raised brow.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
After his blatant confession earlier in the year, the immediate rejection, Ira even explained it to him very clearly that she didn't think capable of love or romance - that she either didn't see him in such light or that she had much more important things to think of than such trivial things. After that, even with her pregnant from two other male's litter (surrogate he knows), he still had feelings. It was something he couldn't ignore, but he did as he promised. Took a step back and simply enjoyed her presence from afar. He could be happy like that, he was happy like this.

So he didn't push. 

She was like a painting now, a beautiful portrait to observe in awe. 

He had not even an inkling of what might be happening within her own thoughts, not even a desire to try to read into anything. The painted man was blissfully unaware. 

At her words his tail swayed, the playful tone was obvious enough and he took the bait. Do I hear a challenge for the rights of the river, Count? His tone was exaggerated, like one of those knights in a children's movie. He left little time for her to respond, with a pounce he aimed for a splash entrance in the water with little elegance in his "cannonball" until after all four paws felt the solid ground beneath them again. Once again he struck a gallant pose, ready to earn the right to bathe.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
It was amazing how Hieronymous could be so oblivious, but what he did not notice was a blessing in disguise for the Count who now felt overly self-conscious of her thoughts and actions. Speedy was sharp, but there was a chance she had been way more obvious than she thought given...she didn't think there was an interest there, and frankly, she still stood by there wasn't! 

However, instead of pushing on the matter, Hiero charged forward causing a wave of water rising to crash nearby as Ira turned to block her face from the spray as the Constable struck another pose. For a moment she stood bewildered at the childish challenge, but perhaps becoming a mother had made her soft. Any other time she would have turned around immediately to find something worthwhile of her time, but instead, she scoffed, Constable, it was no challenge. The river is mine and if you choose to challenge that right you will suffer the consequences. 

To emphasize her point, the roan woman raised her foreleg to swipe at the river's surface creating a decent size wave in the knight's direction. I suggest you find somewhere else to lounge. There was only a short distance between the two, though with the river current surely closing that gap would take some time from the resistance. It was because of this that she stood confidently with her tail raised, her smirk never leaving her face.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
If anything he saw everything as finally, they had gotten closer as friends after this past year. That once given the space she requested, Ira was able to get comfortable about the new Constable and show a playful side to her that he desired to see for so long. He knew it was there, that she was able! All he had to do was be patient.

Offering an impish, toothy grin, Ira countered his bold declaration before jumping in. When the splash of water came his way, the painted knight chuckled only to be quickly snuffed by the water deafening his joy. It was surprising but in the best way possible that the Count was even entertaining this silly little game of his. 

Sharing is caring Count! He cried out in retaliation with a childish saying used usually to help puppies share things with their peers - here, he supposed it was just to make this even more silly. Still wanting to respect the "no touchy" agreement from before, instead of trying to wrestle the woman, he awkwardly sat in the water and propped himself up to sit purely on his rump. Using both his front paws, he pushed and batted the water to return the splashes but with double the power!!

Thankfully he was compact and muscular enough so that the water didn't tip him over with the current.

This was possibly something the both of them needed, a time to just be silly and relax after such a stressful year; and Hiero was happy to be that jester today.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
A chuckle escaped the Count as her wave of water successfully crashed down atop the Constable's head. For a moment he seemed to sputter, shocked by her attack before rubber banding back in an instant to retaliate. Sitting back on his hind legs, Hieronymous gathered his own wave of water, the force of both paws making a wave larger than the first with no chance at dodging. Ira's laugh was cut short as she sputtered, spitting water from her mouth as she shook some water from her face.

The childlike call had rung out before she was splashed, though with the incoming water she had no opportunity to make a speedy reply, I think you've failed to realize I'm not a team player. Of course this was incorrect, her job required her to put the needs of her people before herself, but in the moment could they truly be considered a team? Ira found careful footing as she struggled to charge the male. Where the rocks wouldn't betray her, the current would, leading to an awkward splashing as she aimed to shove the painted knight's side in hopes he would stumble further into the river.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
As his waves made contact with the roan woman, the Constable's laugh continued to echo as if he had just claimed victory. Of course, he knew better than that. Little waves wouldn't stop Ira from trying to claim victory herself so he was ready for her next move, but still, it seemed fitting at the moment to just go with it and let his cackle howl.

This time her move took him off guard. The rush of her coming to him, having little time to stable himself back on all four paws - Hiero was quick to tumble around and splash in the water as he tried to regain his footing. Lingering underwater just a little while, trying to pick out her legs in the water, he tried to move with the river to get closer to Ira for his own retaliation on the matter. 

Like a gator cutting through the water, he snaked his way to her only to explode out of the water - preferably on her side if his sneak attack worked under the current - with his front legs as if he was some bear. Fool! Teamwork makes the dreamwork! This time, he would try to push her into the water. She had broken all the rules already, physical wrestling was a go!
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Their bodies collided, though brief as Hieronymous tumbled into the water. For a moment he seemed to try and keep his footing, though eventually allowed the river to swallow him whole as he moved under the surface. Ira took the momentary win to steady herself, searching for a proper foothold amongst the slippery rocks until the man burst from the water.

He hadn't been the most stealthy given the clear surface of the river, though his sudden burst had startled her enough to take a step back as two paws landed against her side and shoved her further. The water slowed her as Ira reached out to find her footing once more, though she just managed to keep her head above the water as she toppled over. And what dream would that be?!

The Count inhaled as she hauled her bogged down self to a less deep part of the river to get a proper breath amongst all the water. Shaking her pelt to rid herself of some of the water that weighed herself down, she turned with a wide stance now bracing herself for what she was sure would be another attack.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Success! Ha! HAaa! He cried out victoriously as Ira herself stumbled around to keep her footing, his own footing almost barely making it as the rocks felt slippery under his feet - thankfully Ira moved to the shallower parts of the river so he was able to regain what little footing he had.

Dripping wet himself, he was about to give a retort to her question. A toothy grin sprawled across his mug happily and then - well, confusion twisted his face in a moment as he pondered. Well!- Uh... The man's maw hung open for a bit as he thought it through, giving the Count an awkward glance finally as he came to the final conclusion of; Well, I didn't think that far ahead if I'm being honest.

As something came to mind quickly enough, he sprung back into action. Just full of energy, even against the water holding him back he charged forward (less gracefully so as one on drier land could). How about the dream of a happy and peaceful life?! Yeah that would work he supposed - better than nothing.

Honestly, he didn't think they'd get this far; even then, he loved every moment. It felt good to see this part of Ira.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
A laugh sputtered from the woman's throat as Hiero came to a standstill. It was clear before he even spoke that he was at a loss for words and empty on ideas. It was surprising coming from someone who always made up stories on the spot. Though after his admittance, he charged forward just as awkwardly as she had earlier while a new idea came to light. Ira tilted her head, a brow raised to question his response almost forgetting they were in the middle of a battle for the river. Sounds like a fable for a knight.

Battles and wars did not just end with peace and laughter. There was always a cost for the fortune of those that had survived, or so she thought at least. Not wasting another moment, she ran forward to meet the other halfway, and like the first time, it would be Ira who successfully shoved over the knight, though in a flurry of legs and water both would be unfortunate enough to go down. In the end, it had been a good thing that they moved closer to shore. The low water level was the only thing keeping both of their heads above the river current as Hiero must have reared back before they collided and had toppled over onto his back.

When Ira went down she had expected the harsh impact of stone or slapping current to catch her, but instead, her jaw slapped against a much softer surface. It took a moment to realize just what had happened, though the warmth of another body beneath her snapped Ira's attention that much faster. She had actually fallen atop the constable. The shock easily spread across her face as wide golden eyes stared with an owlish expression at the other followed by a creeping heat in her cheeks.

A moment passed, maybe two where she failed to find her own limbs to quickly remove herself. Instead, Ira was far more focused on the rapid beating of her chest and a sinking embarrassment as she finally tore herself away. Once more she felt Speedy's words nag at the back of her mind, though she found it hard to believe. She had denied the feeling before, but the way her stomach quickly turned had her now questioning everything. What was this?

Uh—She took a moment to clear her throat as she now averted her gaze and started trekking back to shore, I think that's a victory for me.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Even as she blew off his half-ass claim, it didn't affect him much as he simply laughed it off once again. Luckily I am a knight! And a knight he was, well, at least he liked to think so. This time his come back came a little quicker without being taken aback with the random, but welcomed, playfulness of the Count. Chivalrous, brave, fierce when needed be - even though he preferred to think of himself as a Jester, perhaps a clown in knight's clothing fitted him best.

Ira charged forward to meet him as he rushed in as well, the two collided and for a moment he thought he bested her again! Thinking that the knight would come out on top once again and show once and for all that good triumphs over... uhh... well Ira wasn't evil - the opposition of himself at this moment he supposed? She was playing sort of a villain-like role right now anyway by the way she spoke.

But of course not, not this time. He couldn't always come out victorious after all. He felt the wetness of the river on his nape, the warm breath of hers on his skin, her weight upon him as well. He wouldn't have really thought much of it if it wasn't for her knee-jerking reaction. Y-yes yes you win Count Ira. The man chuckled nervously, trying to evade her glance as if he had done something terribly wrong. His posture grew shyer, ears flattening and tail curling just enough in an apologetic gesture. 

Did he screw this up already? Was this it, the end of their brief friendly encounters? Doomed to be awkward forever? His heart thudded painfully in his chest, a feeling he had hoped to never feel again. When she stepped back, he took a moment to recollect himself, laying there in the water with his belly up, eyes staring at the sky trying to soothe his nerves.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The rapid beating filled her ears as her paws reached the pebbles of the shoreline. Her Constable mumbled back his own response, an unease chuckle following, though his actual words did not register. She felt...embarrassed, though it wasn't quite that. It was exhilarating— toxic almost as if one touch could be addictive. Maybe something else had happened when she fell, an injury she was not yet aware of, though deep down there was a part of her that was sure she was only making excuses for an all too obvious answer.

It wasn't possible, nor would she allow it. Ira had lived her life this long without the want for more, surely she could be content without the need for anything else. Not to mention, Hiero was nice, but she had already denied his feelings once. If anything, it seemed more awkward to think that she actually had maybe fallen for him in the end after all. That confession came moons ago, who's to say that the painted knight had not placed his feelings aside to properly move on?

The Count didn't need it, she was perfectly happy living her life the way she was. Chances were even if she wanted to pursue...this feeling further, she had already missed her opportunity. A consequence she would have to live with thanks to her knee-jerk reaction to closing others out. For once though, the thought of her walls saddened her. Perhaps this is what Speedy had been trying to say, that there was something different to gain when taking on a lover than a friend. To her, both appeared to be equal levels of support, but maybe there was something more for her to still gain.

Ira sighed under her breath where she was sure Hieronymous would not hear her while she shook the water from her pelt. Apparently, she needed to think about this. Jumping into it now without figuring out just what exactly she felt or wanted would only lead to some form of disaster and she'd rather stay silent until the day she died than ruin a friendship over something stupid. Mayhaps luck will side with you next time— I'm going to go rest now. And if she was not stopped, she would do just that, retreating towards her den.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
He almost felt sick, laying there in the water, staring up at the blue sky, and yet all he could see was Ira's face right there as it was just moments ago. He couldn't shake it, try as he might. It saddened him, still. Still, she had not found anyone after their last personal conversation on the topic, how she swore to be incapable of such things - perhaps unworthy. Of course, it had only been a short few months since then and romance always took much longer than that... a true romance at least, something pure, something rightfully hers. Hieronymous only wished she would give someone a chance, Ira was worth it; but then again, was anyone worthy of her? Maybe that was the problem. She was simply unattainable

If only she would give herself that chance. 

With how she wandered away, that look on her face too as she hastily made some distance between them; all Hieronymous could think is just how badly he must have screwed this up. How uncomfortable he must have made her just now by breaking the barriers he had promised to keep between them. It ached. A dull ache that didn't seem to be physical. Something he wasn't quite familiar with but wished he was so perhaps he could manage it better. He ached for her, mourned the abrupt happiness he had almost brought onto her by bringing out the inner-puppy; and he wept for the probable permanent damage he may have caused between them. That rift that may never be crossed, opened by yours truly by well, being himself. Obnoxious and overly cheery. Overcompensating for the regret he felt on his earlier days - could he maybe someday move on too? 

Ha! Maybe... maybe. His voice trailed, trying to keep a jovial tone despite how it wavered at the end with a hitch in his throat. He too was distracted, sucked into his own void of thoughts. Goodday Count. With that, she was gone. Leaving the Constable to his thoughts, to linger on the events and try to make sense of it - to try and understand how he could fix it, how he could have kept it from turning so sour and awkward. Unfortunately, it may be too late, the damage was quite possibly done by his actions before trying to show Ira how much he adored her, and how his feelings were thrown out into the open. How awkward she must feel. 

For now, the Constable remained on the riverside. Belly in the sand while toes reached into the current, feeling it pass him by like sand through an hourglass. Gone but never able to return, lost in the moment. The sound of distant birds filled the air, but even that didn't distract him from the image of her face.