Ouroboros Spine Refund
18 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Joining 
Skeetch didn’t stay in one spot for long. She meandered through woodlands, along foothills, but stayed relatively far from the beaches. Sand just had the wrong feel to it, and she couldn’t stand questions like “how many grains of sand are there on the beach?” So if she left it, those questions left as well. 

Sharp mountain peaks were interesting though. She imagined them being the teeth of some monster that lay on its back, buried beneath the earth. She wanted to investigate further- but her keen nose picked up on the signs of border markings. A pack lived here! 

That was encouraging. Maybe other wolves imagined the spiky peaks to be like teeth too. She had little concept of border etiquette, so she eagerly howled, requesting an audience with someone who lived in the area.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
632 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
first hunter responded.

shikoba loped from a distant part of the lake towards the edge where she could hear someone call for an audience. it has been a while since she heard anyone call for Moonglow. perhaps just loner, or maybe another member from a nearby pack. either way, she would be sure to inspect.

the warrior woman enters with a flagged tail and lifted chain, observing the small figure that graced their borders. a low grumbling chuff could be heard emanating from her as she stopped at the edge. 

"this is Moonglow. who are you?" straightforward and with an even tone. the woman has been caught on a good day to talk.
[Image: giphy.gif]
18 Posts
Ooc — Jess
As soon as Skeetch caught sight of the wolf who came to greet her, she straightened, posture showing her eagerness and interest, and her tail waved in circles behind her. The guardian was tough, with toned muscles and scars rippling the flesh of her face. Skeetch was fascinated, and her appraisal showed in her gleaming, mismatched eyes. 

As the woman neared, Skeetch lowered her posture into a crouch, her tail wriggling eagerly behind her, sweeping the grass from side to side. She barely let her greeter finish speaking before she answered, bobbing her head eagerly. 

”I’m Skeetch!” She squeaked. ”Mosquito’s the name but I just go by ‘Skeetch’ ‘cause it sounds less like bein’ called a bug. I just found your borders here. Moonglow, huh? That’s a cool name. Y’all lookin’ fer any new packmates? ‘Cause I don’t belong anywhere yet,” The yearling rambled.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
632 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
this one speaks quickly and appears to have a young soul and body. her words pour out quickly, and due to the more frequent speaking under her title, the first hunter has become much more proficient in her english. only a few mistakes could be heard when it comes to piecing together longer and more intricate sentences.

"moonglow is open," she says with a nod to the yearling, "but wolf must provide something. what can skeetch do for Moonglow?" an invitation to brag about any useful skills the girl may have, if any. shikoba cannot expect much from a girl so young, but she could at least see where perhaps her talents and desires to learn lay.
18 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She squealed happily when she was told she wouldn’t be turned away simply because they needed no one else. She’d been turned away with other excuses before- but those places that had rejected her, she wouldn’t have liked anyway. 

”Oh, I got lotsa skills. I’m like a suuuuper fast runner, like ridiculously fast. Great fer catchin’ small things what can be stored fer later. Good swimmer, good traveller, got a pretty damn keen sense of smell too. My sense of direction I think is broken, but prolly just ‘cause i get turned around when I get a bit hasty. I can be a bit shy sometimes but sure, once I warm up to ya, I never stop talk in’,” she rambled, with a wink. ”Super friendly-like, ya know?”
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
632 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
lots of words flood the ears, and thankfully shikoba is confident in what she hears and understands. light on her feet and swift, something that can be appreciated when it would come to the bigger hunts later in the season. runners who herded were just as important as the jaws who brought caribou down in the end.

originally shikoba thought of the tracking trade for young skeetch, though her mention of lacking direction would require some tuning up. rodyn would have perhaps found this girl to be a good apprentice. but as the first hunter thinks to herself, she wonders about letting this girl join the ranks.

"skeetch, I have challenge for you. if you pass, you join Moonglow." her tone is lighter, hoping to incite more excitement than fear within the girl. "if skeetch can keep up with shikoba, then you will be apart of Moonglow."

it was customary for skikoba to want to test out the skills of others. often she rarely finds herself actually intercepting those at the border. skeetch luckily did not say she could fight, or it would've been a harder battle into Moonglow. for now, shikoba thought of a large trail that would wrap a ways bit around the territory. it would require pacing for sure, something shikoba wondered if the girl had. 

now the native steps towards the girl, pass the border into the unclaimed lands. "keep up." was her instruction before she would pick up a hasty trot to the right in hopes of starting the challenge.
18 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The small, limber canine bobbed eagerly on her toe-tips. She could tell the guardian was warming up to her- she just knew it. When she was issued a challenge her smile spread from one cheekbone to the next. "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" Cheered the sprite on an inhaled breath. Keep up? She could do that. 

She was already in motion when Shikoba breezed past her, and she bucked like a spring filly, eager to sprint. The trot was too slow for her, so she moved forward, bringing her shoulder as close as she possibly could to Shikoba's flank. She was a willing shadow, watching the bunch and flex of the woman's shoulder so she could time her own steps, moving pace for pace with her despite any differences in their conformation. She was nimblefooted and spry, and would not knock elbows or heels with the one she sought to impress. 

Eager to prove herself, she barked, begging her companion to try and shake her from her hip with a burst of speed- but Skeetch would be ready to follow as soon as she made a move.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
632 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
she seemed excited. and shikoba almost patted herself on the back for thinking of such a genius thing to test a younger wolf on. speed was always a plus, but the pacing is what separated a smart wolf from a beginner during runs. 

the girl easily keeps up, and this makes shikoba feel like a proud mom. only now she's gotta make the challenge a bit harder for the girl. speed wouldn't be the issue. the bark of skeetch is enough to push shikoba into a lope, feeling the ground press against her paws during her pace.

she'd wait for the gallop, she knew better. but at least her pace was faster and would hopefully be enough to appease the girl. shikoba would aim for the line of trees that barely made the beginning of Neverwinter forest, closer to the northern tip of the spine.

it would be here would skeetch would do more than keep pace. she'd have to make sure she didn't run into any trees or trip on any roots.

--

the race ended, and the girl failed to keep pace. and despite the fact that shikoba probably would have let her in, the girl spoke words a mile a minute was soon bounding off to other places probably more important than the spine. shikoba would watch, of course, and when the girl was out of site, she'd go back to making rounds.

updated and archived as sketch is inactive!