Greatwater Lake So I pull up in that Maybach Candy
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
All Welcome 
Once they broke the touch barrier, Atreus found he couldn’t stop. They frolicked across the meadow and he nipped at the ruff of fur framing @Inkeri’s face. He steered her toward the forest tucked at the foot of Shadow Mountain with a slight brush of his muzzle to her hip. As they climbed the ridge line between Mereo and Paleo, he used his nose to guide her face toward the canyon he called home.

Dozens of small touches later, they came upon the eastern shore of the great lake. Still energetic despite the trip, Atreus bounced on his heels and looked to Inkeri, wondering what she thought of the vast shore. Surely there must be hundreds, maybe even thousands, of good fishing spots along it.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
-Only the gentle are ever really strong. -
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thank you for starting <3

At first the touches had felt strange to her. Who hadn't been touched or touched in so long with the exception of small stolen moments of physical touch with Merry, but even that was fleeting. The young male Scout was fun and filled her with laughter. A nip at her ruff, she nipped back. A brush to her hip with his muzzle, tail would gently tap against his side or nose, steering clear of his eyes. Face push, she lay her head across his shoulder to look down over his home. It was beautiful. The rock such a rich color. She took some time to just study it. Never seeing something so dark in color.

When they reached the shore her chest tightened as her breath caught. So many places to fish. She wiggled in place, her long tail stirring the air with a whistle and a thump.

So many places to fish. And it's so pretty. Pretty. She yapped at him gently and pressed against his side.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The feel of her pressed against his side made Atreus’s heart flip-flop in his chest. He was still frightened by this intimacy even as he reveled in it. He angled his head sideways to read her face and saw the happiness and wonder there, lighting up her already beautiful features. Now it felt like his heart danced right up into his throat and got stuck there.

You’re pretty, he said thoughtlessly around the lump, his face going scarlet under his fur.

He was mortified for saying it out loud, though it was true. Atreus was tempted to avert his gaze out of sheer embarrassment. His toes curled with it! But she really was pretty and it was hard to look away. Instead, he kept staring right at her, a crookedly sheepish smile slowly twisting his lips.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She didn't know if he was okay with her level of physical touch, but he had opened the door so to speak and being touch starved. She reveled in it. It was nice to just exist with someone.

Words stirred the air between them and they surprised and warmed her all at once. She was unsure what to say at first. So instead she smiled even brighter and then tucked her head under his chin for a moment ot gather her emotions before she spoke.

Thank you. You. I think you are kjekk too. And I like your eye colors.

he had two eye colors and they suited him as well as the red fur and black cape. He was young, but he wasn't too young. SHe supposed some may frown upon her for it, but she didn't care really.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
She graciously accepted the compliment before telling him she liked the color of his eyes. Now Atreus couldn’t help but drop them, ducking his head bashfully. Then he froze, wondering: what on earth did kjekk mean?

What does that word mean, the one you just said? Atreus wondered, unwilling to try pronouncing it lest he butcher it.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
He dipped his head in shyness, and she didn't blame him this. Physical intimacy and words were sometimes hard to take. Especially when you were not used to them. She knew this well. He was the only wolf to ever call her pretty before. It had been a bit shocking.

:Oh. She chuckled. It means handsome. Sorry sometimes my language will come into English.::

She swished her tail and clicked her tongue against her teeth.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
There was something endearingly shy about her laugh when she admitted she’d called him handsome. Atreus blinked hard even as all the heat spangling across his skin now gathered into a fireball right at the center of his chest.

You… think I’m handsome? Really?

He had never really thought about his looks much. He’d seen his reflection in still waters, of course, but Atreus hadn’t bothered analyzing it. Truthfully, he hadn’t ever concerned himself with attraction of any sort… until meeting Inkeri.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
He was handsome. She liked the way the black cut into his other colors. Which she briefly felt ashamed for. Her father had been Svartravn and had been killed for his love of a Kvit. and yet she was so far removed from her home and her tribe, that it now felt like a distant dream, not a memory.

She nodded. I do. Do.

Again a brief flare of panic. He was young, younger than she. She was going to be 3 soon. Some may think her way to old to be near him. To have any type of design on him. She had no idea where they would go or even if they would be better friends or if it would be more and she had to caution herself not to spiral into crazy thoughts.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He wasn’t sure what to say. She’d thanked him for his own compliment, was that the standard response? More than that, what should he do with this information? If they were mutually attracted to each other, did that mean they should court? Or even get married?

Atreus balked, though not because it was far too early to consider jumping into a commitment with Inkeri. He just couldn’t imagine asking her to come live with him in Mereo. She was a mild-mannered, peaceful wolf. There was no way she belonged someplace like the barracks.

He supposed he could go live with her in Kvarsheim, though wouldn’t that be disloyalty? Perhaps Atreus should talk to Germanicus about it. He just hoped the Imperator wouldn’t get upset with him. There was no way to know unless he asked.

Realizing he’d gotten lost in his thoughts for several moments, Atreus forgot to respond to the compliment entirely and instead bent in to touch noses and ask, Well, want to find a good fishing spot, Ink? Where had that come from? Can I call you that?
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
They were both quiet, both lost in their thoughts. She wasn't sure what to make of that. Though she could no more force her thoughts quiet as she could stop breathing.

If she knew his thoughts. Wouldn't he be surprised to know the she wolf could fight with the best of them. That she had been taught violence early and tender. That she wore the lessons on her skin and in her mannerisms.

He gave her a nickname and it surprised her. Made her cheeks rose. She had never had a nickname. But she nodded.

Yes please and yes you can. Can.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
She accepted the pet name and Atreus smiled warmly. A thought came to him, though he didn’t voice it right away. Instead, he raised a foreleg and gestured for her to take the lead.

I don’t know anything about fishing, so you’ll have to show me how to find a good spot, Ink, Atreus said, a certain fondness infused into the nickname.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
He motioned her to lead and so she did. Paper and ink body moved slowly towards the water. As aquamarine eyes took in spots. There was ice at the edges, though if she could find.

There it was water that moved fast. She stepped near the brittle water glass and pressed hard and it moved and shattered.

Normally I use my teeth, but it is too cold. Cold.

She motioned him closer. You watch shadows. Shadows. Water makes shapes different. So you always look a little ahead if them. Them
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Truth be told, fishing had never really interested Atreus. It sounded like such a boring past time. But he would never tell Inkeri that. No, he would enthusiastically follow along as she instructed him, happy to participate in something she cared about and possibly learn a new skill in the process.

Atreus paid close attention as she broke up some of the ice rimming the lake, coming closer when she motioned for him. He crouched beside her, taking the opportunity to gently bump their shoulders and smile sideways at Inkeri. But then he schooled his face into a stoic expression and focused.

Congrats on 200 posts!
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Inkeri knew that fishing was not for everyone. She supposed part of her love for it, stemmed that it was solitary and silent. She needn't have anyone with her. She could just be alone. Like she often was.

She returned his smile and then focused back on the fish. She stabbed a paw forward and scooped up. A fish arcing through the air. Upon its land she placed a paw upon it and quickly ended it's life with a swift bite.

Goodness. I didn't even notice. Thank you.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Inkeri expertly fished a catch from the cold waters. Atreus actually leaped upright as he watched it arc through the air in the direction of the shore. She moved much more adeptly, pinning the fish with a paw and executing it with a  swift slash of her teeth.

Wow, that was incredible, Atreus blurted, really and truly impressed. I didn’t think you’d catch one so fast. I hope you know you’re, like, awesome at that. He paused, then chuckled. I guess we totally found a fantastic fishing spot, huh?
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Inkeri's small muzzle enlightened in a smile at his reaction. It was kind of cute. Though she fought to control her reaction so as to not lose the fish. They were sneaky and slippery and sometimes could go back in the water and not die even when wounded. It was kind of horrifying honestly.

Thank you. You. She said with cheer. You did! Did.! She tilted her head and then motioned at him.

It isn't always that easy, but because of the ice, it came up to see. Curious. Would you like to try? Try?
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Could I watch you a bit longer? Atreus rejoined when she invited him to try. I definitely want to try, though I still have a lot to learn and I think some more demonstrations will help, he added, although partly he just wanted to watch Inkeri in action for a while.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Inkeri met his kind gaze with a look in her own and nodded. Yes.Yes.

She moved and positioned so that he could come near or watch from further away. Aquamarine eyes gazed at the water littered with ice and she threw a paw out and scooped at one, missed this one, but she'd try again. Second try and she caught another. Quickly ended it's life.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Atreus thought he could watch Inkeri fish for hours. There was something magical about watching someone in their element. She seemed so happy splashing around in the lake, snaring fish. She didn’t succeed at every single attempt, though it wasn’t long before another catch flopped onto the bank. She quickly stilled it.

When he finally decided to try it himself, Atreus didn’t announce it. He just waded into the shallows beside her, tossing Inkeri a little grin. He recalled what she’d told him about the shadows. He could see silhouettes lurking below the surface, though they moved so swiftly, it was a long time before he even made an attempt.

And of course his paw slapped nothing but water, the fish easily evading his clumsy strike. Atreus felt a little idiotic and shot his companion a sheepish look now. He knew he wouldn’t be as adept as her, not without plenty of practice, but Atreus really wanted to impress her by catching something.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Inkeri had always found fishing to be a type of solace for her. It was something she hadn't even shared with her sister, though Anja was always welcome. But fishing was the one thing that Inkeri excelled at and loved. It gave he a sense of peace and contentment and it was fun. Water splashing. Had it been warmer, she would have absolutely started a water fight, but it was far too cold for that right now.

She gave a small squeal of happiness when he stepped near her. And returned the sweet grin he gave her. Black and white tail weaving in joyful contentment.

She bowed low. You try again. Again. It takes time. Time. It took me a few tries and I still miss often. Often
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
I know, he replied when she gently encouraged him.

But even after quite some time and many attempts, Atreus decided fishing really wasn’t for him. Besides, his paws were going numb. He bit at the inside of his cheek as he clambered back onto the bank and shook out each foot, one by one. He planted his rear so he could coax some feeling and warmth back into his toes with his tongue.

Glancing over at Inkeri, he wondered if she was cold too. Perhaps she was used to it. Atreus suddenly pictured himself licking her paws like this and felt his entire body flush with heat. He had already come a long way with her, yet that seemed entirely too intimate, despite the practicality.

But once he thought it, Atreus couldn’t stop. He felt desire rising in him, a new and discomfiting sentiment. As he watched Inkeri moving gracefully in the water, he found himself wanting to clutch at her, tug her close to his body. He wanted to drape himself across her back, circle his legs around her middle and curl around her like two spoons in a drawer.

He was too young for his mind to take it any further, though there was nothing childlike about the heat flowing in the young man’s blood now.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Scout tried, but he couldn't quite get it. But she understood, and it was cold. They needed to do this when it was warmer. Though she had such fun on this outing. Adding one more fish to their small pile. She moved from the water then. Shaking her paws and then he body, to get the fur dryer. She bent downy head to lick small pieces of fur sticking out in wrong directions.

Inkeri was quite oblivious discomfort so she gave a soft croon of a greeting and then settled beside him. Laying to her belly with a gentle pant and looked out around them. She smiled at his two tone eyes and wagged her tail.

Thank you, Scout. Scout. This is fun. Fun.

Then she closed her eyes happily, with a smile to let the sun warm her face without blinding her.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Inkeri waded onto the shore and settled down beside him, her catch just a few feet away. Atreus watched her, insides still blooming with heat. He drew in a breath when she said his name not once but twice. He was accustomed to her stutter by now, though hearing the repetition reminded him of his earlier thought.

Sinking his belly to the ground, he rolled his weight onto his opposite hip so he could angle his face toward her. Up close like this, he could see the depths of her aquamarine irises. They were flecked with other colors. Atreus experienced a strong urge to brush the smear of charcoal beneath one of her eyes or perhaps even kiss it.

Clearing his throat, he said instead, My name isn’t actually Scout. That’s just a nickname. I’d like to tell you my real name.
Kvarsheim
Veiðimaður
317 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Scout moved near her. And she watched him with curious eyes, he seemed comfortable around her now. And she was warming up to him. He reminded her of Merry in a way. Calm and quiet.

He studied her, a uncharacteristic serious expression on his face. An ear flicked unsure what he was about to say and a little worried if she was honest. Is there where he told her, he had fun, but they just weren't good friends or anything and he didn't wish to see her again?

But she was surprised when he confessed his name wasn't really Scout, it was just a nickname. She frowned in thought and studied him. And then nodded.

What is your real name? Name? And your other nicknames? Usually when there is one. One. There are many. Many.
Common
Norwegian

451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
She asked him for his given name and any other nicknames he used. He had a handful now: Bear, Icarus, Scout. Nobody in his life knew him by this name, not even his own leader or fellow soldiers. Not even Amalia, his dearest friend, knew it! But he wanted Inkeri to know it, call him by it.

It’s Atreus, he said for the first time in a very long time. Mereo knows me as Icarus. I’ve asked others to call me Bear or Scout. But, he continued in a low voice, my name is Atreus Bearclaw.