Little Goat Mountain baby, if you like it
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
All Welcome 
while it had been hidden with subtlety for most of the past two months, it was getting close enough to her due date that her heaviness showed. it was a great discomfort that she despised. tearing away her ability to move with the freedom and agility she had once had; for this she hated the creatures leeching off of her, only comforting herself with the thought that it would be worth it. they would be extensions of her, new limbs each with their own claws and teeth. eventually they would serve her and her purpose and she would be lean as a strip of bacon once more. 

but for now, still, she hated it. 

her catches were small- no more goats, just voles and mice. she kept to herself in her den, though the lack of adrenaline found in there frequently frusturated her, and so she would take brief walks for as long as she could handle before she grew tired and returned home. now was one of those times- she wove between trees at the base of the small mountain, eventually pausing to lay at the base of one great root and rest for a moment.
Mira's posts may contain violent content.
At present, Ksura will often be near Mira's den, and thus welcome in her familial threads.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Goats were practically sheep, he'd thought- until he'd given chase, and had realized that goats definitely weren't very much like sheep. These were sheep that had shed their bulky, wooly coats, gained spiky horns, and had learned an extensive amount of parkour. They could spot a predator coming from miles away with their odd, horizontal pupils, and simply move up the slope to a sheer cliff of rock and still manage to tread along with little difficulty. 

The fuss kicked up when he came barreling down the shale toward a small group of them rumbled like brittle thunder as loose rocks and gravel were sent flying. The goats scattered, scrambling for higher ground where they could perch out of his reach but he pursued one down toward the base of the mountain and once it was past the treeline, he was able to overtake the creature and bowl it over onto the ground. It bleated only a couple times before it was silenced, and for a few moments he gave himself time to rest, breathing heavily over the ewe's neck. 

It was then that he spotted a dark wolf, barely noticeable as she lay in the shadow of roots at the base of a tree. He tensed, gripping the goat tighter while he assessed how safe his kill would be.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
it was not long until a clattering of noise alerted her- and bursting from the trees came a goat, pursued by a wolf made of a conglomerate of colors. mira had no choice but to watch- what else could she do, really? as the male brought it to its final breath, breathing heavily as the creature faded. were mira more outgoing she could've given a whistle and cheer of applause for the cleanly executed hunt, but instead she just stared until he noticed her. 

she could see him tense up. her expression didn't change. if i was going to take that from you, i would've done it already. and though she wasn't quite keen about pointing out her weaknesses at present, she still motioned her muzzle towards her round stomach. maybe if he had sympathy for a pregnant lady he'd be less hostile, i'm not really in the state for chasing you around, and there are plenty of goats for me once i'm back on my feet. a shrug, though the kill did smell delicious, and once more she resented her current inability to run with ease.
At present, Ksura will often be near Mira's den, and thus welcome in her familial threads.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Her eyes glowed, like fireflies trapped, and wedded to constant illumination. Her comment received no reply, though he tightened his grasp on the goat's neck. It was bold of her to assume she could take food from any stranger without expecting a fight, but he alone knew that he would've abandoned the kill in a heartbeat if she'd so much as taken a step in his direction. 

He loosened his grip on the ewe, allowing its neck to fall from his grasp when he followed her gaze and gesture, to note with a light huff that her side was quite swollen and round. She looked hungry, though she wasn't begging. He paused for a moment, but moved no closer. "Kids or worms?" He asked cautiously. He'd seen a severe case of worms before, and wanted nothing to do with any wolf who was full of them. Kids, however, merited a bit of mercy.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
worms?! ew, she grunted under her breath, shaking her head, kids. she paused. going to be my first litter. maybe her last, depending on what she decided next year. on whether she needed a larger army. 

he had let go of the prey, and she glanced at it for a moment, but made no movement, knowing an attempt was futile. she wasn't starving- she was just realizing why women usually had kids in packs. it was nice to have someone hunting for you and bringing you fresh meat. 

i wish i knew how many there's going to be. i can feel at least a few kicking. would that gross him out? the first time she felt a kick, it grossed her out even thought it was normal. how strange, to have other little wolves growing inside of her.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He uttered a satisfied grunt at the expression on her face. Fortunately, she didn't seem too offended; and once she explained that she was full of writhing children, and not squirming worms, he picked the ewe up by the throat and carried it over toward her without hesitation, stepping wide so that the corpse could trail between his legs. 

The fact that she could feel them moving didn't disturb him at all. He let go of the ewe and fell back, laying on the ground in a sphinx position opposite her, with the kill between them. He made no move to eat, however. "It's a good sign." He said, his tone optimistic. He seemed to realize something, and sniffed the air, looking around to see if he could spot any other wolves nearby who might be protective of their pregnant matriarch. "You uh, got a crew?" He asked.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
to her surprise, he dragged the kill over and sat closer, facing her with the goat between them. without the word to take, she would not assume she could do so, instead feeling a little irritated that he was taunting her with the food (as she believed, regardless of the reality.) 

it was a good sign, he encouraged. that did make her feel a little more hopeful. she needed many of them, and each of them stronger than the last. she hoped that none would be born sickly. 

he paused, sniffing the air. 

none, she shook her head. it will just be me, so the kids will need to be my only focus for a while. frankly, she wasn't really looking for a group, since she wasn't quite sure they'd understand her style of raising the children, nor her eventual goals. but she was still curious about the surrounding area, and decided to ask him too, even though he didn't particularly smell of any others. you?
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He expected her to dig in, and succumb to her ravenous hunger, but she didn't. He tilted his head to the side, curiously, before he chuffed. "Girl. Eat." He said with a light laugh. He did wonder for a moment if she thought he was teasing her, but the notion of that seemed ridiculous, and he assumed she'd not seized the meal the second it'd come within her grasp because she was polite. 

She was alone, which seemed off to him- but then again, maybe she also had some wild backstory where she'd been caught for sheepkilling and had ended up in another Bitterplace where the food was sometimes partially frozen and served by odd, two-legged creatures, before she'd been jettisoned out into the wilderness like him. Having been through his own experience, he felt almost anything was possible. 

Her phrasing indicated that this was something she'd intended to have happen, though. Either that, or she'd completely given up hope on trying to find others, or find a pack to join. It was her first litter, but this was also her body she was controlling- he wasn't about to step in and tell her what she should do with it. "Nah." Came his answer, abrupt and impartial at first. "Wild story. Sheep. Humans. A giant, stone dragonfly." He said, glancing up as if to pick it out, whirring in the sky again. "Put me back on the wrong side of the land, so," he shrugged. "I'm here, alone."
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
he told her to eat. she blinked, and then leaned forward hesitantly at first, before digging in like she hadn't eaten in weeks. 

she licked her lips, pausing for a moment as he gave his answer. he told fantasy stories, with words she didn't understand.

humans? what's that? she asked blankly, though the giant stone dragonfly was perplexing to her too. she had heard of neither of these things, and though part of her wondered if he was crazy, she could not stop her curiosity.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
I <3 Fantastic Mr. Fox
She ate with vigour, and he was both shocked and impressed to see her eat so enthusiastically. He nibbled idly at an itchy spot on his shoulder, and at a patch of short fur on his hip. The flesh had healed well, and the muscles beneath his skin pained him very little. He chose not to interrupt Mira while she ate, as her mouth was often so full of meat it looked like she might choke at any instant; adding a conversation to the mix would make that freak accident all the more likely. 

She didn't know what humans were, which gave a bit of relief. If she didn't know what they were, then perhaps they weren't around this area at all. "Another kind of animal. A pretty rare one, I think," He admitted. "Walks upright, like a bear, but a lot smaller, a lot less fur. I'd guess omnivore by the teeth, and their claws are just....Long toes," He said. "They keep prey in traps. Predators too, when they can catch them. They just look at them, as far as I can tell. I'd say they're not dangerous, but they have sticks that bark, and wherever those things point, they kill." He licked his lips. There was an appeal to having such a power, but he felt certain only the humans could wield it, with their fleshy claws. 

A piece of meat snapped, sending a few drops of blood in his direction. He licked them off his pelt, thoughtlessly. It felt good to have given her something to eat. 

"I can hunt for you," He said, abruptly. "I'm a good killer."
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
he patiently let her eat her fill, and when she slowed down he began to explain the creatures. the picture he painted was difficult to even imagine, and while they sounded soft and vulnerable in some places, their tools- the sticks that could bark and kill- sounded scary. her brow furrowed listening, and she wasn't sure what to offer him besides, how strange. a pause, and she added i hope i never meet one. 

she went back to the meal, sending droplets of still-warm blood flying. she licked a drop off her chin. 

when he spoke, she glanced up. a cold grin. i am too, when i'm not fat. she countered. but she wouldn't turn down having someone to bring her food while she tended to the kids and regained her strength. and yet, nothing in this world was free, so she wondered, what's in it for you? an offer made for a deal, though she wasn't quite sure what she could give him. maybe opportunities- far ahead in the future, when she took back her birthplace- but until then she imagined there wouldn't be much for her to provide.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She was smart enough to not question what he'd said about the firing sticks. The fact that she believed him at all was impressive- he'd been more prepared to have others think him a madman for suggesting such things existed, and he felt both gratified and validated when she'd not questioned him at all. She'd probably seen some things, he figured, to take him at his word. Then again, perhaps he should have spotted more red flags about her, too- the fact that she was pregnant and all alone could have indicated perhaps that she'd made some decisions in her life that'd led her to a point where she could barely even hunt for herself. 

He felt he needed little reason to offer her food; it would have weighed too heavily on his conscience to leave her by herself to potentially starve. He felt that might come as a blow to her self-esteem and sense of independence, so he simply scooted a bit closer- just close enough to touch the nearest part of the goat with a paw. "I get to eat too," He said. "Otherwise: I need a purpose." He said with a shrug. This felt like a pretty big task to take on- which would keep him both busy and focused. He lived for that.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
he scooted closer, making contact again with the kill- and though usually it'd trigger a raised lip of bared teeth, he had caught it, and she had no right to be protective. she glanced at his paw calmly and then back at him as he insisted he'd eat too. of course, she agreed easily- how could he manage to hunt for her, if he was starving? 

but otherwise, he said he needed a purpose. her gaze gleamed as if a lightbulb went on over her head, and she was quiet for a moment before she spoke. i can give you that, she shared, i have some plans. you just have to trust me, and if you're a hard worker it'll benefit you in the end too. 

are you an experienced warrior, or do you need some work? he was young, but that didn't necessarily mean he sucked. still, she wanted to know whether he'd need her training.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
It seemed she was looking for more from him than a meal, and he licked his lips eagerly. The thought of having a goal enticed him, and having someone else lead the way was much preferred. Finally, he thought- someone who gave him a chance, who trusted him with something, and who would include him in their plans. Previously declared nothing but a mindless killer, he found himself edging closer to a new identity; a pledge. 

He thought on his scuffles with other wolves, and knew he wasn't necessarily a brilliant warrior- however, he had the will. "Need more work," He said, though it was less of an admission of fault, and more an indication of hos hungry he was to better hone his skills. He exhaled sharply, snaking his head over the shoulder of goat closest to him, a low growl thrumming in his throat as his indigo eyes grew vacant for a moment. 

He'd do whatever it took. Wolves could be sheep, too; maybe they'd be just as gratifying to fell.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
need more work, he decided after a moment. that's okay, mira said, i just wanted to know. he huffed out a breath, moving his head over the prey with a growl hovering in his throat. mira had no reaction and assumed it was a sign of his hunger for the ewe. 

i was born on a mountain not too far from here. my mother and her mother before her both lead the place with great strength. she paused briefly, but a few years ago a tradgedy there killed my mother. i was still very young and did not know what to do, so i fled. she shook her head, as if dissapointed in her former self. but i know that the mountain is meant to be mine, as it belongs to my bloodline. so i'm planning to take it. she licked her lips. 

problem is, i've heard there are wolves there, so there might be a few obstacles. that's why i plan to build an army. and when we conquer the place, my army will become my most trusted wolves. 

her gaze had drifted off while she spoke, but with this she looked back to him, eyes burning. would he be willing to aid her plans?
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The faint rumbling in his chest was silenced when she began to speak, and his lips pulled forward, pushing his whiskers out as he listened intently to her story. He could picture it in his mind; a mountain home where legacy was forged, but scattered in the wake of the death of her mother. It felt unfair that others should seize the place that was hers by birthright. By force, he sensed, she planned to take it back with the army she intended to build. He sensed she planned to recruit, but also seemed to glean from her tone the aspect of her children being trained as well. After all- the mountain belonged to her bloodline, and it would likely be passed down to them as well. 

She'd already have an heir in hand, he thought, when she sought to take back her home. Ideal. 

"What is your bloodline's name?" He asked, his compliance implied. "And yours," He added, realizing they hadn't been introduced. "I'm Ksura. I'll be your first among many."
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
ostrega she provided flatly, taking his lack of definite answer as a yes. and her name- mira. mira ostrega. she repeated, and if wolves could shake hands she would've neatly held out a palm. instead she gave a firm single nod in response to his name. ksura. she repeated, i appreciate your loyalty and assistance. i will make sure it is worth it, eventually. she promised without a hint of doubt in her voice. 

with the agreement settled upon, she was quiet for a moment, and then brought up- i will probably be having the kids soon... in the next several days, i think. will you be in the area?
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Her name was the seal on the agreement, to him. He now knew the name of the empire that had fallen, but would be rebuilt, starting with a fresh brood that would happen any day now. He was slightly surprised to find out her time was so near- and yet, he welcomed it. The promise of a reward one day was little incentive to him; all he needed was what he had right now- the purpose he'd been seeking. 

"Yes." He promised. He could feed her, and she would feed her children; his efforts would stretch even further than before, and it filled him with a mix of relief and excitement. "If that's what you want; I won't go too far to hunt. I'll stand guard when it happens- whatever you need." He offered his services in the only ways he could. As for medicines and childbirth, he had very little first-hand experience, but he could keep her fed, and keep her safe.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
he would remain close. he must've understood already why she'd asked, as he started offering his services right away. mira smirked slightly. yes, that would be good, she agreed. you don't even need to stand guard if you are busy when the time comes, but once it is over i will send my call to you, and would like you to bring me something to eat. i think i will be tired. how great it would be, to have her first servant! it gave her some relief, too- the thought of birth concerned her slightly, even as strong as she was. having support was useful.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He decided that he would stand guard- just in case. Perhaps out of sight, so she wouldn't get sick of seeing him so close while she gave birth, but he'd be there, and ready to intercept any trouble that might pass by her way. He licked his lips in anticipation. She would want to be fed, and he nodded. Giving birth had to be hard work, right? He would hunt for her, as he promised. Once he knew she was safe and had survived the birth, he would set out and find something for her to eat. Perhaps he might have something stashed away beforehand...Then he wouldn't have to go too far.

"Got any name ideas?" He asked. "For the kids." She seemed to have some doubts, or at least a realistic expectation that perhaps not all of them would survive- but he had to wonder if she had already begun to brainstorm the names of her own heirs.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
his question frankly threw her off, as she hadn't particularly comsidered it. of course she wasn't sure exactly how many there would be, but she hadn't even imagined them with individual identities until now. in her head, they'd just been her army, her ostregas. 

i don't, she admitted, ear flicking. but i guess i'll need to brainstorm. or maybe names would come to her as soon as she saw their faces. mira wasn't particularly creative, and yet wasn't fond of simple names like 'twiggy' or 'stone'; they were not the trend in her family anyway. she supposed any name that went well with ostrega would be good enough, and likely to be bound to the den soon, she'd have plenty of time to think- if not before their births, then after. 

i might just name them after they're born, before they start talking. so i have more time to consider it. to her, it made no difference if they were named the second she pushed them out or two weeks later. as long as she could summon each kid by the time they started hearing, that was good enough, right? maybe if she absolutely couldn't decide, she could ask her new companion for advice, although naturally she'd make the final choice. it was strange to imagine that he'd be here to support her the way a litter's father might be, even though he was a lot more like just her chef and employee, in mira's eyes. still, she welcomed the help. and he was certainly bearable enough so far. with him and several children, perhaps she could create something powerful, in time.
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Coming up with names had seemed to Ksura an easy task- something almost mindless in nature, and yet enjoyable. Had he not picked up on some very I'll do it later vibes, he might have started brainstorming some names himself to offer, just for the fun of it. It was likely wise of him to keep his suggestions to himself, as he was already more or less encroaching on her growing family. 

She'd have to get used to a bit of that, though, he thought- if he was to help her build her army and take back her empire. Still, she wouldn't likely be so desperate for his help for long and he didn't want to earn himself banishment for being too annoying right off the bat. It was best to simply agree with her. 

"Good idea," he concluded, as though he'd been dumb to suggest anything otherwise to begin with. "Y'want me to find you a more sheltered place?" he asked. Some sort of den might suit her better, and he was keen to put himself to good use one way or another.
151 Posts
Ooc — summer
ksura's choice to remain quiet was probably a good one- mira would likely be set on her own preferences when it came down to it, and she saw the children as only her own. nobody else's, even if they held a share of the responsibility. 

he asked if she'd like him to find somewhere better. i've started putting some bedding in a nook i found in the slope; i can show you. but if you know or find a better spot- around here- there's still time to move. a shrug. this was something she was not strongly opinionated about- the spot she'd found was decent, but even a small mountain like this one likely had other places to set up a good den. her only limit was that she did not intend to stray from this area, considering the current heaviness on her figure. 

she glanced back to him after a moment, you can bring what is left of the meat, and i will bring you to the spot i had chosen so far. an offer to lead him to her current home, if he had the time. 

wrap soon and we'll have a more recent new one?
Riverclan
Fang
91 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He felt like disagreeing with her, and saying that he could find her somewhere better to give birth to her children, but he also felt that pushing those buttons was not a wise choice. Not when she'd just agreed to keep him around, and he needed that companionship so desperately. Besides; maybe she'd found a suitable enough place anyway, that he might be able to spruce up and so, following her request obediently, he grabbed the remainder of his kill, and began to follow her toward the home she'd established in the mountainside- preparing to settle in himself, somewhere nearby as well.