Fox's Glade Scoop up my insides
29 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
remaining vague in regards to previous thread due to being in-progress

Kovette found herself lingering in the area, unsure of her next steps. She could still see the mountain range, off in the distance, and wondered if it might be worth braving—and perhaps it was, perhaps it had so many more sights to offer her, but the northerner was not yet ready to make that climb. It was a daunting trek, she knew, and that alone kept her from venturing towards it—a place to rest was more enticing than going mountain climbing, as far as she was concerned.

She eventually found herself amongst flowers, various colours strewn about. Kovette, warned her whole life to be wary of plants and what effects they might have, could not identify a single one—but she could identify a stream, which she leaned down to lap at as she came upon it.
i’ve been the archer, i’ve been the prey
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Eshe was searching upstream from Kovette for a replacement pestle. The rock she’d been using as a pestle had become dull, and while she could have easily found one in the creek, she had decided to search elsewhere. It’d been awhile since she left the territory, and she figured it’d be good for her to get out and stretch her legs.

She waded ankle-deep in the water, looking at her options, when she found exactly what she was looking for. Swept away in her excitement and surprise, Eshe didn’t look at where she was going, and stepped into a shallow ditch. Shrieking, as she realized it was too late, she lurched forward and face planted into the stream.
29 Posts
Ooc —
With her thirst quenched and silvery figures noted below the water’s surface, the northerner’s interest shifted from the stream alone to that which swam inside it; Kovette was more than familiar with the art of fishing, although she preferred land prey. No matter, she settled back into a low crouch, watching and waiting. But the opportunity to strike never came, her attention drawn upstream by a sudden shriek—and when she glanced back down, the water was already running murky, further encouraging her to abandon the fish that had surely scattered.
Rising to her feet, Kovette padded along the bank of the stream, heading in the direction of the scream. Her steps were slow and calculated, ears shoved forward and eyes scanning that which waited ahead of her, eagerly searching for the source of the stream’s disruption. But, when finally she noticed the much larger silvery figure in the water, the woman couldn’t help but ease up. With the hint of a smile tugging at her maw, she asked, “Are you alright...?” From where she stood, she could not see any injuries but couldn’t help but extend her concern. “Do you need help?”
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Are you alright…? a voice asked. Do you need help?

She lifted her head with a groan and turned her head towards the other wolf. Her vision was blurry, and pain radiated from her ankle, but aside from that she was fine.

My ankle hurts, she answered feebly, blinking a few times to clear her vision. I’m pretty sure I twisted it. She was at the stranger’s mercy: she made no move to try and stand, knowing it’d be in vain.
29 Posts
Ooc —
What for amusement she may have found in the sight diminished once the stranger spoke—or groaned, rather. Ankle pain was noted, a suspected twist. Unfortunately for the both of them, however, Kovette was... less than knowledgeable when it came to treating, well, anything. But she was not without kindness, although she knew not how far that might get either of them in this situation.

“Do you know of anyone that might be able to help... fix it?” she asked, taking a couple steps closer as she did so. “Do you think you would be able to stand if I help you up?” Should she help her stand, or would that do more damage? Kovette could not recall a time where she’d done anything similar, so she wasn’t entirely sure what all could be done. Would it make things worse if the stranger was moved at all? What would be worse for her in the long run, moving when she shouldn’t or remaining in the water?

“Are you... are you okay with me helping you out of the water?” At the very least, she could do that, even if she had to yank her out. Plus, no matter if moving or staying in the water was the worse option, Kovette was pretty sure that allowing both was definitely not alright to do.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
I'm a healer, Eshe confirmed, answering the other's question with a small smile. It shouldn't be hard for me to fix it—I'll need a short stick to keep my ankle straight and reeds to wrap around and keep it in place. Thankfully, the materials were all at arm's length and easily accessible. But, yeah, getting me on land would probably be the best first move. I'm pretty sure I can stand since the current isn't too bad here.

When Eshe fell silent, she felt suddenly self-conscious; she was asking for too much, wasn't she? I'm more than happy to repay you for your help, too, she offered. My pack is nearby, and I'll happily provide you with a meal. With the goings-on and tensions in the Rising Sun Valley, Eshe wasn't sure if she could provide Kovette a place to sleep, but some food would be manageable.
29 Posts
Ooc —
When the other wolf named herself a healer, Kovette’s mind settled; she could be directed on how to help, if the help was accepted, rather than worry about how she could get the injured stranger the assistance she required. And when the materials necessary to help her were noted, and the northerner saw just how easily accessible said items were, she felt confident that yes, she would be able to help—but, even still, she found her own lack of knowledge to be troublesome, wondering to herself what would have happened if their roles were reversed.

“I can grab those for you, so you will not have to walk too far,” she offered. But Kovette was not quick to retrieve those items—instead, she moved around Eshe so that she stood parallel to her. “Here,” she said. “You can use me to support yourself as you stand.” The young female was not nearly as large as her father or grandfather before her but she was still a sturdy girl, accustomed to the rough tumblings that often were what her puphood play progressed into. For that reason, she did not doubt her ability to act as a brace.

In exchange for her help, a meal was offered. “I appreciate the offer,” she replied, a smile tugging at her lips. “But don’t feel obligated to offer. I am happy to help, either way.” Whereas Xan was always distrustful of strangers and more likely to leave them for death rather than help them, Kovette learned kindness from her mother; stranger or not, you could never be sure of how frequently paths might cross, and it is always better to make a friend versus a foe—when it came to them needing help, of course. Otherwise, she was just as cautious as her father had learned to be, so many years ago.

“You can lean against me as we walk back onto dry land,” she further offered, letting it be known that her brace status was not strictly for standing. “Then I will grab the stick and reeds for you.” Again, Kovette had never succumbed to a similar injury before, and so she was not entirely sure how much the stranger could actually move without causing more damage to her leg. “My name is Kovette, by the way,” she then finally introduced, keeping still all the while; and still she would remain, until the other was up and ready to move. Whenever Eshe gave the cue, only then would she proceed forward at the injured woman’s pace.

Feel free to PP Kovette however you need for movement!
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Your turn to PP to your heart's desire! Sorry for the wait!!

Eshe was helped out of the water and onto the land by Kovette, moving at the pace she set. Thank you, she said as they walked, smiling despite the radiating pain. You have no idea how much I appreciate this—I'm more than happy to offer a meal in return, it was the right thing to do; an eye for an eye in a positive light. While helping her onto her paws, the other woman grabbed the sticks and reeds.

Now that they were on land, they could get to work. She lay down as the supplies were placed on the ground and studied them momentarily before speaking. You'll need to lay three reeds together horizontally, then place the stick in the middle going vertically, she instructed, hating that she couldn't help, but this job required both paws. And then I'll lay my leg against the stick, and you'll wrap the reeds around my legs.

Did that all make sense? she asked, just to make sure.
29 Posts
Ooc —
my turn to extend apologies—it has been crazy lately!

Kovette was mindful of the other woman, keeping a close eye as they moved to ensure their paces matched. Eventually, she did accept the offer for a meal, once everything was said and done—besides, if she went along with the other wolf, at least she could make sure she returned home safely.

Once on dry land and the supplies were gathered, Kovette listened attentively to the directions given; this was her first experience with medical work of any kind, although the directions seemed simple enough. “I... I think I am following along,” she confirmed, albeit hesitantly. “If it looks wrong at all, I can always try again.” She worried about wrapping the reeds, concerned that she might not be able to maneuver everything correctly. No matter, Kovette went to work, situating the reeds first before placing the stick in the center of it all—and once everything was laid out and her leg against the stick, the attempt at wrapping began; she carefully grabbed and pulled up with her teeth, rolling each reed over Eshe’s leg. Once done, she stepped back and looked to the other as she asked, “How does it feel? Is it okay like that?” It looked... together, to her, but she wasn’t entirely sure how it was supposed to look.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
I'm sure you'll do just fine, she assured the other wolf.

Kovette went to work, doing as Eshe had instructed, and, for the most part, her work was impeccable. There was just one issue: the tightness of the cast. It looks great, she said, looking up with a smile. If you could tighten it, then that'd be perfect.
29 Posts
Ooc —
It seemed put together fine, just not quite tight enough. Kovette eyed it for a second, internally questioning the sturdiness of the reeds, then nodded. “I think I can do that,” she noted aloud. Leaning down, she grasped the end of a reed gently between her teeth, then did her best to fix the opposite end between her paw and the ground before slowly pulling up; she was careful to not tear the reed, uncertain just how much tugging they could handle. And once it seemed pulled tighter, she removed her paw and used her maw to re-wrap that end bit back against the rest of the splint.

“How is that?” she asked, looking to the other woman for further guidance. This was not her area of expertise—although, she wondered to herself if it might be in her best interests to learn more. She was amazed by Eshe’s confidence and quick thinking, even after being hurt. If she were in her place, Kovette wouldn’t have had the slightest of clues as to how to proceed.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Mind if we wrap up here?

After Kovette had completed the tightening, Eshe pulled back and approvingly appraised it. You did a fantastic job, she complimented with a sweep of her tail. Thank you very much. She rose onto all three paws, taking her time as she concentrated on not falling over, and soon stood.

I think I can manage to get home, she realized once she'd stood for a few moments, But you're more than welcome to join me and get that meal I promised you?