Sunbeam Lair illicit affairs
i’ve been the archer, i’ve been the prey
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
All Welcome 
Everything that'd occurred in the past week finally hit Eshe. She'd left her mate and her pack for a man she hardly knew; she was pregnant and didn't even know if she'd see @Argent again. He had said they'd meet at the plains, but would he really? Or would he go home to his wives?

There were far too many 'what ifs,' coupled with the morning sickness and food aversion, Eshe hardly ate. She did press forward towards the place where she'd promised to meet the stalwart again. She took a different route this time, sticking to the lower reaches of the Sunspire mountains, and soon found herself in a place she could have only imagined in her dream.

Sunbeam Lair provided shelter for her and was full of plant life she'd never seen in this part of the valley, a dream for a botanist. She moved slowly about the cave, studying the plant life that thrived despite the cold; it was a welcome distraction.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The Sunspire Mountains were due southeast of the glacier. Towhee wondered if @Towhee Jr might have headed toward the place where she’d been born and raised. But when she scoped out the vale, she found nothing but a ghost town. It made her sad, trawling this place from her past. She thought she smelled @Tamar but there was no trace of her or anyone else. Where had @Jack Snipe gone? Would she ever see him again?

It felt a little masochistic but she went next door next, plodding through the canyon. Towhee couldn’t hear the echoes of her footsteps in the dry dust, though she sensed the emptiness in many other ways. She considered going by the housing but decided to leave such places to her memories. Sighing through her nose, she headed toward the eastern reaches and began to climb.

She reached a bluff and scanned the views. She could head over to the valley, though she had no reason to think Jr had gone there. Towhee hadn’t found any trace of her whatsoever. This was a fool’s errand, just like she’d told @Dutch. She ought to head back west.

The mouth of Sunbeam Lair caught her eye. Was that a shadow moving inside? Towhee’s ears pinned backward for a moment as she deliberated. Letting her curiosity drive her, she descended to approach the darkened entryway.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
There was a new scent and the sound of paw steps, both of which caught the Frostfur's attention. At first, she glanced over her shoulder, but once she caught sight of the figure entering the lair, she turned around to face them. Though the light from above shrouded them in shadows, there was enough she could surmise from the scent alone; the other woman was from a pack, but that smell was fading. She was older, too, but that didn't matter much to her—she was about to be five, after all.

Hey, she greeted weakly, unaware of the other's disability. She sniffed the air again, noting that the lair lacked any strong wolf scents; she wasn't intruding as far as she was aware.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She stepped just over the threshold, squinting into the gloom. There was a pale shape just inside. Towhee withdrew out of an abundance of caution, though her gaze never left the figure. Pairing the details she could make out with the scent, she identified her as a middle-aged she-wolf.

I can’t see for shit, she said frankly, before thinking to add, and I can’t hear for shit, either.

Without another word, she walked back out into the open a few yards. Towhee stopped and turned around, hoping the other wolf would take her cue and come out into the light.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Towhee was blunt, and Eshe appreciated the honesty. She took the cue, abandoning her plants for now, and followed the other women into the light.

When they were outside, she squinted against the afternoon light as she observed the other wolf. Although there was something familiar about her, she couldn't quite put the face to a name; probably somebody she'd met in passing.

I'm Eshe, she began, raising her voice, thankful for the company and distraction. Are you from around here?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When the woman emerged, Towhee immediately recognized her. Well, she couldn’t remember her specifically but she would bet all her nonexistent money that she was a Blackthorn. It wasn’t just the family resemblance, though. Towhee felt like she’d definitely met this one before, though she couldn’t place her even after she offered her name.

Towhee, she replied. Blackthorn? she questioned in the very next breath, shaking her head and saying, No, I’m not from around here. Not anymore.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Although she wasn’t from around here, she had been at one point. Eshe was thankful for this; she would need help finding the easiest way over the mountains.

"Blackthorn?" Towhee asked.

Eshe shook her head. Close, she answered with a knowing grin. My mother was a Blackthron—Liffey, if you recognize the name. But, no, I'm a Frostfur. Although the guess had initially thrown her off, she supposed they all looked alike; their genes didn't vary as much as other families. She wondered briefly how her children would look—if they'd be immediately labeled Blackthorns, too.

How do you know my family? she asked.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee remembered once finding that surname distasteful, remembering the way the Frostfurs had inserted themselves into her sister’s life and seemingly taken over, resulting in the Frosthawks. Nowadays, she had no particular feelings on the matter, though she did suddenly wonder if this woman knew how Raven was doing these days.

Your grandparents raised me when my parents died, Towhee replied, so your mother was like a sister to me. But we didn’t know each other very well, she admitted. I’ve visited the Frosthawks a few times over the years. I think I might’ve seen you there because you’re vaguely familiar. Do you know how they’re all doing?

It made absolutely no sense but she suddenly wondered if Towhee Jr might have found her way there.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
While she had heard countless stories about Eljay and Finley, Eshe had no memories of them. They were wonderful from what I heard, she remarked, wistful and a tad jealous that Towhee had plenty of rememberings of them. And I'm not surprised that you didn't know each other very well—it seems like she and my dad, her heart dropped at the mention of Rannoch, met very early on and moved away together.

In the next breath, she said: So that's why I thought you looked familiar. It's been almost a year since I've lived there, but I ... just found out my dad died. Her stomach churned, and she closed her eyes and attempted to calm it with a steadying breath. But my brother said nothing about anybody else, so I assume they're all fine.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She bobbed her head in confirmation. “Wonderful” didn’t really capture the Blackthorn matriarch and patriarch, though it would suffice. Eshe mentioned her father’s passing—recent, by the sound of it—and Towhee tried to remember his name. She couldn’t.

That’s tough, Towhee acknowledged. Sorry for your loss.

No (other) news was good news, she supposed. Towhee decided there was no way Jr would’ve gone there, so there was no need to indulge her sudden impulse to visit. She would always be very fond of Raven and appreciate everything her elder sister had taught her. But she realized she probably wouldn’t seek out the Frosthawks again.

What brings you to the lair, anyhow? she questioned conversationally after a pause of appropriate duration.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Thanks, Eshe replied as she mustered the strength to fight back tears. Although it'd been her choice to leave, and Rannoch had wholeheartedly encouraged her to get out and explore, a part of her wished she hadn't taken his advice. She would have gotten more time with him, memories, and love. But, unfortunately, she couldn't change the past.

When asked what she was doing in the lair, she glanced back at the cave before answering. I'm trying to find the easiest way over the mountains, and I thought there might be a tunnel system or something that cut through the range, she began. But when I saw the plant life in there, I had to stop and see if there was anything I could use—I'm a botanist by trade.

You? she asked in turn.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Be careful, Towhee interjected, I’ve heard stories about wolves getting lost in underground tunnels. What if you never found your way back out?

It wasn’t the same, though she thought about being stuck under the fallen rocks after the earthquake, then trapped inside the strath. Even after all this time, she shuddered involuntarily.

I was trying to track my daughter, she shared when asked, but I haven’t found any leads. We used to live in the vale, she continued, waving a paw in a vaguely western direction, so I thought… maybe… well, it doesn’t matter.

Towhee shrugged, then realized she should probably figure out what she was going to do next. Eshe was surely waiting for her to say something else. She could excuse herself and leave the botanist to her plants, though she wasn’t in any particular hurry.

So, do you live around here? she wondered belatedly.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Eshe hadn't even considered the possibility of getting lost in the tunnels. She assumed the path would be straightforward and was thankful for the warning. My mind has been jumbled lately, she admitted, drawing a paw to her temple and shaking her head. So, thanks for the reminder. she said with a grin.

I can keep an eye out for your daughter, she offered. I'm heading west. What does she look like? Eshe couldn't imagine losing a child and would help where she could.

When asked about where she lived, she felt like she could throw up; the stress of the aftermath of her divorce still weighed heavy on her mind. I ... don't have a home. she admitted lamely. She'd never been a lone wolf before, and with her pregnancy and it being winter, the odds were stacked against her. I'm meeting someone on the other side of the range, so that's why I'm trying to find the easiest route.

She took a deep breath. I'm also pregnant—its my first, and I'm trying to do everything I can to make this as easy on myself as I can.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There was a lot to unpack in Eshe’s response to that simple question. Towhee took in every word with a steady gaze, her mind flitting to the bloodstain she’d left in the snow a few days back. Although she knew it was for the best, she felt a flicker of envy when Eshe mentioned her own pregnancy.

She’s my carbon copy, even has my name, Towhee said, even as she shook her head, but don’t worry. She’s a grown woman now. She can look after herself, she said, more for own benefit than Eshe’s.

She paused to consider everything else Eshe had said. Her orange eyes meandered over the neighboring Sunspire. Towhee could lead Eshe through the canyon or the vale, get her to the far side of the mountains.

After you’re done gathering plants, I can take you west out of the mountains. Since you probably like greenery, we’ll go by way of the vale. Where exactly are you headed for this meeting? Meeting your baby daddy? Towhee guessed, perfectly aware that it was a nosy question.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Eshe hadn't realized how much she'd revealed until she shut her mouth, though she preferred word vomit to actual vomit.

She was thankful for Towhee's help, there was relief on her face when she said: You have no idea how much I'd appreciate that. Thank you so much. If theres anything I can do to repay you let me know. A weight lifted from her shoulders; there was one less thing to worry about.

I'm heading to Hoshor Plains, and, yes, going to see my baby daddy, she admitted with a laugh, hiding the shame she felt for getting knocked up by a stranger. That her own husband ex-husband hadn't even wanted to have children with her.

She glanced back at the lair again, thinking of her satchel full of herbs. She'd already plucked some plants she'd found before Towhee arrived, and gathering them wouldn't take long. I can be ready in five minutes, she said, turning back to Towhee.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Well, that destination made things fairly straightforward. If they cut through the southern portion of the vale, they would emerge right at the edge of the plains.

No rush, Towhee said, nodding her muzzle to indicate Eshe should go ahead.

She didn’t follow her. Towhee went to take a seat, then jumped back onto her feet and glanced down. There was a small puddle of blood on the ground, cooled in the frosty air. Now it was smeared into her nethers too. Grumbling under her breath, she bent to clean herself.

By the time Eshe reemerged, she would’ve sorted herself out. She blinked in the wintry sunlight, wondering if she might reveal more about her situation when they started traveling. Towhee was certainly morbidly curious.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Although Towhee had assured her there was no rush, Eshe felt she needed to gather her belongings quickly. She re-entered the lair and began searching for the piles she'd amassed while exploring. When she collected everything, she stuffed the materials into her deerskin pouch. Then she made a beeline for Towhee, who was waiting outside.

Thanks for waiting, she said, her voice muffled by the satchel as she approached. Ready when you are!
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Eshe stepped back outside with something in her mouth. Towhee eyed it, thinking briefly of Fennec. She saw the other woman’s lips move against the fur bundle, though of course she caught nothing of what she said.

You asked me how you could repay me. You can repay me in hot goss, Towhee said as she twitched her head and began to move in the direction of the vale. Tell me more about your baby daddy situation? And please look at me when you talk so I can read your lips.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
"Hot goss" was the request for repayment, and Eshe immediately regretted her offer. Although she had an abundance of gossip to offer, she was still processing everything that had occurred and felt like the information would paint her in a bad light.

Eshe turned to face Towhee, sighing deeply as they set off towards the vale. You're in luck. I've got plenty of gossip to share.

I used to lead the pack Swiftcurrent Creek with my ex-husband. We agreed on most things, except the one most important thing to me: having children. I've always wanted them and have always been very upfront about that. My ex, on the other hand, had fathered two litters before and was afraid he'd 'fUcK tHeM uP.' She rolled her eyes. When we became mates, it was almost like he asked me impulsively because he didn't want me to leave. He promised that he'd reconsider having kids—which I assumed meant he'd come around to it. Well ... he didn't.

When I went into heat, we argued, and then I needed space. When I was ready to talk to him again, I howled for him, and he ... never came. Which pissed me off—so I left the territory and went west to walk it off. I found somebody who seemed to be a better fit for me, and we talked for a long while until we decided to hook up. After that, I knew I had to break things off with my ex ... so I went home and did, and now I'm here. She looked away then with a frown and tears in her eyes.

I know we'll be more compatible with other wolves, but I'll miss him.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee stumbled a few times as they navigated, her attention riveted upon Eshe rather more than where they were going. This was decidedly juicy gossip. She knew from “go” that Eshe hadn’t been compatible with her ex, though she didn’t comment or otherwise interrupt. Towhee said nothing while Eshe’s story unfolded, then remained mum for a while afterward as she processed.

What a shitshow, was her comment in the end, shaking her head. You’re running off with the new guy now? she added in the next breath.

There was nothing on her face—nor her deadpan voice, of course—to give away her thoughts on the matter. She was more interested in hearing about other people’s drama than judging them for it. Eshe had certainly delivered on that front. Towhee was totally invested in this soap opera.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Yeah, Eshe agreed. This entire situation was a shitshow, and she hadn't even revealed everything. There was still the matter of @Argent, his wives, and if he was even going to show up at the plains. While she hoped everything would go smoothly, there was a nagging voice in the back of her head that said otherwise. That she would end up alone with this litter of bastard children with nowhere to go.

That's the plan, at least. Who knows what's going to happen—for all I know, he could not show up.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
What would you do then? Towhee asked. Single motherhood isn’t easy, speaking from experience, but if you have any kind of support system, it really helps. I mean, you could always go back to Frosthawks if it came down to it, right?

She barely paid attention to their surroundings, only noting them well enough to navigate them through the vale toward Razorback Ridge over yonder. The plains were directly west of there, if Towhee remembered correctly, or maybe a little south… well, they’d find out soon enough.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
Crawling back to the Frosthawks was the last thing Eshe wanted to do, but it was an option. She could only imagine the reaction she'd get from her mother; the shame put on the family that her grandchildren were bastards! She winced at the thought and tried to think of other solutions.

I could go back there, she said, swallowing hard. Or I could find an established pack to take us in. I don't know how likely that is—or what packs are even in this direction—but I think it's worth a shot.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There’s a lot of packs west of here. If it doesn’t pan out with your baby daddy—or even if it does—maybe check out the Moon villages, Towhee suggested, oblivious to the man’s connection with them already.

She wondered if Meerkat and Njord might take in someone in Eshe’s situation. Probably, she thought, though she didn’t mention it. It did make her think that it was time to finally head over to the copse herself. Her daughter was due in just a few weeks.

Well, Eshe, that’s you, Towhee said when they finally mounted the ridge, nodding at the grassland stretching below. She looked over to catch the other woman’s eye to add, Good luck with everything.

447 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Botanist
"Moon villages"—Eshe could only assume that Moonspear was among this group. While Argent had invited her to join Moonspear, she'd rejected the idea then, not wanting to be too close to his other wives.

She hadn't realized that they'd gone as far as they had. When Towhee announced they'd arrived, Eshe looked around as though she expected Argent to materialize before her. When that didn't happen, she turned to her guide with a grateful smile. Thank you so much for everything, she said, then turned towards the territory and started off towards the heart of it.

I'll probably have more hot goss for you the next time I see you, she said, calling over her shoulder before turning her focus to the task at hand: finding her baby daddy.