who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Limit Two 
hoping for marina, but open to others!

After getting everyone settled—as much as they could be with all the excitement of being in a new place—Sialuk found herself tired, but still buzzing with her own level of post-travel energy. It was not yet dark, and she wondered if perhaps the woman she had sent here would be able to find time for her. Tentatively, Sialuk called for @Marina, hoping to catch up and learn what she could about the young woman since they had last spoken. While she had been able to get an update here and there from others, it felt important to see her face-to-face and gauge her well-being now that she had been with Moontide for some time.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
This looked lonely! I can pull him at any point if Marina does show up.

The boy kept to himself when the visitors arrived. His father bade that he be friendly and helpful, which was commonplace for him and easy to do, but he remained wary. A part of Raiyuk hoped to see his mother Nasamik among the visitors — at the same time, he was afraid — and when she did not arrive with them, there was a gladness in his heart that confused him. He did love his mother. He loved her and he missed her dearly, but he also held resentment for her absence. If she had been among the visitors he did not know how that would have affected him — and as glad to avoid the moment.

He wandered the beach for a time, letting the visitors get settled. As he was heading back towards the ulax that had been set up, he caught sight of a pale figure who was almost familiar, and felt his heart leap in to his throat, but he knew it was not her. As Raiyuk drifted closer he gave a small bow of his head to the woman and smiled a reluctant greeting.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
A young, familiar face approached, and Sialuk knew it was Raiyuk, the son of Chakliux and Nasamik. He was quiet and respectful, bowing his head.

Raiyuk, it is good to see your face, she said, patting the ground beside her so he might come join her.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Raiyuk was glad to be recognized.
The woman welcomed him closer. He didn't remember her name in that moment and felt a sweep of embarrassment for that; she surely remembered him! And she was one of the visitors from Moonspear, he could smell the mountain upon her as he settled.
Curious of this, and with his mind buzzing with many thoughts, he asked: Has... has Nasamik returned to the mountain?
His mother hadn't stayed with them after the move, not for long, and Chakliux had found another wife for his lodge. Raiyuk did not want to worry over someone that would so readily abandon their family (and felt great resentment over the fact); however, he was a boy, and thought often of his mother.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
His question was one she had expected, but one she was forced to shake her head to.

She has not, the starwoman replied.

I know what it is like to be young and lose a parent. It was true that her case had been different: her own father had been taken to the island of the dancing lights. Still, the absence was felt either way, and the absence made hurt well in her heart for many months following. The hurt in Raiyuk's heart was no doubt different from what she had experienced.

Do you like it here, by the sea? she asked.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
No, of course. Being a mother must be harder work than Raiyuk could understand. Unlike some children he would not blame himself for her dispersal, nor could he ever think his father could have caused this (Chakliux, his idol); he did not want to lay blame on anyone at all. So he accepted these words from Sialuk and would not speak on it again.
As for the woman's question,
I love it! There is much to see, and to do. His tail wagged actively and his demeanor brightened from one moment to the next.
If there is anything you need, or those that travel with you, tell me and I will fetch it. He smiled, happy to be of use. Chakliux had raised him to enjoy the work.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Unlike Rodyn's two young boys, Raiyuk seemed to have embraced his new home. Perhaps it was because the circumstances were different, Sialuk told herself. Would Panuk and Rolayne believe that she had abandoned them here? She liked to think not, but it would be difficult to know. And she could always return whenever she wished, and they could always visit the spear when they had a few more months beneath their feet. And yet it still pained her to think that they would be unhappy here, even temporarily. She had to remind herself again and again that this was their home, Rodyn was their father, and it was not her place to interfere with his wishes.

Have you caught honey before? she asked. It was a tricky task, but one ingredient that would be sure to sooth her throat (and Rodyn's) after many nights of singing songs for his late wife.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Caught honey?
No, how do I do that? He wondered, surprised there was something new to learn that his father hadn't shown him! Perhaps he did not know? But that idea seemed too preposterous; his father knew everything, could do anything, and likely only chose the most important things to teach him for now. Raiyuk was intrigued all the same.
Is it like a hunt? Do I chase something?
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Raiyuk had not known honey before. A shame! Sialuk did not know if the hives would be full of it in the winter. It seemed worth a try, given that she and Rodyn would be singing long into the darkness for many nights following.

Do you know the bumble bee? she asked. He dances on flowers and brings their sweetness back to the hive. This is what you must look for. It hangs high in a tree like seaweed off driftwood, so you must find a way to knock it down. But be wary, for the bees will prick you with their sharp bottoms. It is best to fell the hive, run, and come back in a day when they have abandoned their sweet food.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
A hunt that required one to retreat!

He knew of bees as loud little things, and did not think of them in the winter. They seemed a summer thing. But the boy listened intently and looked enamored by the idea.

If I find such a thing, I will be careful! And I will bring you some. He did not know how that might work - but it was worth sharing.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
A brave young man, Sialuk said, smiling. He had grown so, and Chakliux had made a fine father to him, despite the absence of Raiyuk's mother. This was one way that taking multiple partners could help solidify the life of a family. Although she did not think that Raiyuk would see Chakliux's other partners as his mothers, there was no denying that having them near would help him in the long run.

It will soothe our throats after singing, she said. It would be difficult to sing those songs, but Sialuk knew that, once they were through, she would feel a sense of peace and calm. It was not something she had felt since her sister had left this realm.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Raiyuk beamed under the compliment. He wanted to be like his father, and would put in all the effort required. To be called brave was a step in the right direction and he was greedy for more; he would certainly try to find this honey now, somehow, and make sure to be of use to those that sang the death songs.

I'm glad to be of help. He said next, although he let the smile falter form his face and a more sombre expression take up residence there. He had lost his mother in a way, and could imagine some part of the hurt that the moon villages felt over the loss of Samani; he knew to be respectful. With a little bow of his head he moved to go and hunt for this honey, to prove himself brave and good again and again.