Valley of Gold a voice
843 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
great was her joy.

"i do not know. i have never been to this desert." her teeth flashed bright; daring! "but i know the desert, no matter where i am. i remember how to find water where there seems none, how to use the stars to cross the dunes that shift with each step." an inhale of the warm air as she slowed now, gazing thoughtfully off toward the place she did not yet know was muat-riya. "and i am sure we are not alone in knowing these things."

and she hoped she did remember these things.

she bent to taste the water, still chilled by winter and refreshing. in summer what water gathered in the valley would attract mosquitoes. better to avoid it then, despite its beauty.

it occurred to her that this year the girl might become woman. she counted silently the months and years in her head, then again, brow gently tensing, and then a relaxing. acceptance, mingled with trepidation. she would rather they were back among raventhorpe before this happened.

but zulema showed no signs of this, and for now tamar put it from her mind. "the nights are cold." the woman said, looking toward the barrier gulch and considering the wind which now whipped at the sand, and blew it up at them. "first, i think, we will collect skins. the ones of foxes are best." she could not explain without showing, but eventually a hide could be cured almost entire, the eyes and bones removed, the fox's empty jaw resting over one's head. it provided some protection from the sun and the blowing grit, especially when a wearer learned how to arrange it best.

she trotted off, the coyote lineage weaving in and out of her gait as she put her muzzle to the sand.
Messages In This Thread
a voice - by Tamar - March 31, 2024, 09:23 AM
RE: a voice - by Zulema - March 31, 2024, 12:41 PM
RE: a voice - by Tamar - March 31, 2024, 04:04 PM
RE: a voice - by Zulema - March 31, 2024, 08:55 PM
RE: a voice - by Tamar - April 01, 2024, 10:27 AM
RE: a voice - by Zulema - April 02, 2024, 07:09 PM
RE: a voice - by Tamar - April 03, 2024, 06:31 PM
RE: a voice - by Zulema - April 04, 2024, 08:28 PM
RE: a voice - by Tamar - April 09, 2024, 01:34 PM
RE: a voice - by Zulema - April 12, 2024, 10:23 AM
RE: a voice - by Tamar - April 14, 2024, 06:20 PM