Whitefish River some sad singers, they just play tragic
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Can you believe it’s been so long since these Olive and Seelie last saw each other? Time is sooo weird

The longer the lamb lay upon the ground, the longer nothing happened to her — and still the diminutive sheepdog pressed her nose against her feathered nape, and still Olive trembled under her thumb. Why was nothing happening, Olive queried within her own mind; heart churning and ivories gritted in agitation. Why was there no retribution, when she begged for it so plainly? Would this chance too be stolen from her? But, how else could she possibly pay for the sins, if not with pain inflicted upon her own body at the behest of the sheepdog who was once so pure?  The wraith wished her heart would expire at that very moment, that she would just die in order to demonstrate how very, truly, deeply sorry she was — then, maybe, her life would have been made into something meaningful.  Then she would fade away, as all things faded away eventually. 

but she hates you, the darkness in her mind was quick to her. and you deserve it.

Olive could look upon the girl’s sculpted visage no more than she could look upon her children's, whom she also failed. Hadn’t love been the only thing she ever wanted, fought for — pursued relentlessly? It’s what the gods told her to do when they spoke in her dreams and filled her mind with a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors. How could this be what the gods wanted — how could they be wrong, so often, and still expect her to keep faith — what kind of test was this karmic life? Perhaps it had not been the gods at all. Perhaps it had never been gods in the first place, but the prattling of her own mercurial mind. 

When Carina’s companion came upon the scene, Olive scarcely noticed. 

The wastrel, given sudden freedom from her imprisonment, picked herself up and climbed atop unsteady, twiggy limbs. Olive was unable to contain the trembles that continued to rock her featherlight frame and she swayed and rattled as a tree's branches do in an autumnal breeze. The girl gave some attention to the brute, but Olive’s assiduity was trained fully on the girl. Finally, she found her voice — she did not need Carina’s prompting.

I know my apologies are worth nothing… she turned to face Carina at her side and took an entreating step forward, letting her foot dangle inches above the earth. There are so many things I wish I had done differently, she admitted with a listless sigh, glancing towards her toes. I knew nothing of their plans, to betray you — to sell you…. th—they betrayed us, too. Olive moved her muzzle close to Carina’s and spoke in a hushed, hesitant whisper — as if Ceannasach and his queen were within earshot and might find the two vagabonds. They banished us to foreign lands and kept my son as punishment. They wished death upon us… Her sad, soft song trailed here, recalling something that was only slightly different from the truth. Then, she moved on quickly, not wanting to belabor her own victimhood. This was not about her.

I should have looked for you, but… ...but my family was too busy falling apart, she conceded inwardly, embarassingly. All the suffering that existed between the two of them had all been for nothing.
and all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams
are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams
in what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

Messages In This Thread
some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - January 05, 2018, 06:12 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - January 18, 2018, 12:45 AM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - January 19, 2018, 08:16 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Stockholm - January 19, 2018, 10:53 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - January 25, 2018, 02:01 AM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Stockholm - February 03, 2018, 11:03 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Coelacanth - February 09, 2018, 03:54 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - February 27, 2018, 10:27 PM
RE: some sad singers, they just play tragic - by Olive - April 12, 2018, 12:40 PM