Wapun Meadow going home
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
The summer was slowly drawing to a close. It was a cloudy morning with low mist hanging 'round the fields so close after dawn as Laurel made her way through the meadow with a rabbit in her jaws. Time to prepare for winter, though she was not so sure she'd get away with caching this without offering some to her children. They had many and it was a struggle to keep them all fed well enough; often enough it lead to Laurel hunting for the winter caches, like now, but seeing the entire catch disappear into the children's mouths. Yet, she should be grateful to have caught anything at all. Hopefully they could organise a hunt for some bigger game soon.

The tired mother walked through the misty fields. Sun broke through and painted the mist and the fields around her in beautiful golden light, but it was hard to enjoy the scenery when there were so many heavy things still on her mind.
kind of struggled not to shine
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
i hope you don’t mind, I couldn’t resist!

This was the fourth day that Slavik had awoken surrounded by a plethora of aromas, the pleasant scents of the meadow. He’d taken his time here to rejuvenate, to prepare for his return to the road. He’d originally planned to spend only a day or two in the meadow, but that third day he found himself so enamored by the beautiful landscape and the comfortability of his makeshift nest, that he couldn’t bring himself to go. He’d spent all day yesterday relaxing and hunting rabbits, and assuming today he would leave. With a yawn however, and a quick glance at the meadow beyond, Slavik decided that one more day couldn’t hurt.

He rose reluctantly, summoned to his feel by the rumbles of his stomach. He looked to  the pile of fur and bones from yesterday, just to see if there was anything there he could possibly salvage. He kicked it lightly with one paw, and there was nothing there but the rattling of small rabbit bones against each other. He sighed, then shook out his fur and stretched. 

He wandered through the meadow in search of a fresh rabbit scent, but instead found a wolf scent. Curiously he began to follow it, his nose parting the tall grass as he walked. It didn’t take long before Slavik came upon a grayish brown female, and after a moment of watch her he chuffed to get her attention. He carried himself easily, for he knew he was on the large side and so he didn’t want to seem imposing.
[Image: caretaker.gif] 0/5
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 4/5
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
of course not, thank you for joining! :D

The safe confines of Bearclaw Valley came into view in the distance as Laurel navigated through the open fields. She felt a wave of relief as she saw home in the distance, knowing that her children needed this food. When she heard a chuff Laurel stiffened, stopping in her tracks. Laurel put the rabbit down between her feet for safety -- though she imagined he had already smelled it and possibly even seen it, it didn't hurt to try and conceal her prize -- and turned her head to face him.

An easy smile fell across Laurel's face. She didn't feel very happy and bubbly at all, but she'd pretended most her life anyway so despite the additional tiredness of motherhood and being Alpha in their small pack, it came easy enough to Laurel to put on a happy face. "Hey there, stranger," she said with friendly tones that were almost a little flirty. His body language was not dominant which relaxed Laurel somewhat, but she waited for his response before drawing any conclusions.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Slavik had noticed the rabbit in her maw, but he certainly wasn't one to try and take it or anything. He watched as she slipped it down to her feet, a place she could easily defend should she need. She was cautious it seemed, and he half expected her to answer his chuff coolly or with suspicion. What he go was nothing of the sort, an almost flirty hello that took Slavik off guard. He paused before speaking, looking at her friendly posture.

Hey, I'm Slavik. You? He asked in a friendly tone and with a charming smile, for he couldn't resist being a little flirty, especially when he wasn't the one to initiate it.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel was glad that he replied in a friendly tone, though she didn't exclude the possibility that he might only be nice to get to her food. After he introduced himself she smiled sweetly and said: "I'm Laurel. From bearclaw valley." She glanced in the direction of her pack subconsciously as she mentioned it.

Then Laurel wondered aloud, "What about you?" She made it sound like she was idly asking, but truthfully he looked like a healthy wolf and maybe he'd be good for the pack if he wasn't attached yet.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Laurel from Bearclaw Valley, a pack he assumed by the way she smelled of one. What about you? she asked, and Slavik let out a sigh. Well his chosen title was traveler, but at the moment he wasn’t feeling much like one. He’d lazed about here in this valley for a four days now, when he should’ve been exploring. It was partially because he was tired, but also because this meadow was like his island of the lotus eaters. It’s comfortability and ample amenities made him feel warm and invited, and it was becoming more and more difficult to leave. But he was going to, he was gonna pick his lazy ass up and keep exploring because he was going to enjoy this adventure for as long as he could. Walk till you drop! he would make his mantra.

Currently, I’m an tenant of this meadow. But I’m planning on getting back on the move soon. I’m just a traveler, he said with a soft smile.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Slavik didn't seem too excited to tell her where he was from; soon he disclosed why, because he wasn't really from anywhere. Laurel could empathise, since she wasn't really from anywhere herself. She had been a perpetual traveller before settling down at Bearclaw Valley, and even now her paws itched with the longing to get out again. The only reason she'd stayed was, well... the children.

"Ah. I used to be a traveller too, y'know," said Laurel while she mirrored his smile. "Used to always be on the move, from when I was little." The reasons were perhaps not entirely of her own doing, but often she thought that was what had shaped her. Stupid Reek and Saena. "If you're looking for a place to take a little break from travelling, you could try out Bearclaw Valley. It convinced me, too." It wasn't entirely true that she was convinced, per say, but he didn't need to know that. Maybe she could make Xan jealous if she brought home a handsome fellow.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Well, Slavik had a home, but they weren't open to him anymore. His sister convinced him to leave, and once they left they weren't allowed back. That was why Slavik was a traveler. He had his regrets, especially at first, and then when his sister had totally flaked on him, but for the most part he was glad he'd left. This adventure had been one for the books. Laurel explained that she was once a traveler too, from a young age too. He wondered why, but she moved on before he thought of the right way to ask.

She mentioned her pack again, Bearclaw Valley, if he wanted to break. Over his adventure he'd been tempted many times to join packs, this was one of those moments where he almost gave in. He resisted though, as he'd also learned many other things from this adventure. Wraen's words, choose wisely, rung clear in his head. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna keep cruising for a while longer. What's Bearclaw Valley like though? he  asked, just because he was curious.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel was disappointed to find out that her efforts were in vain. It made her realise how badly she wanted out of all of this herself. She was only here for her beautiful children, but she wasn't sure how much more of Xan's shit she could take. Oh, how badly she wanted to just run away with Slavik in that moment, however irrational a thought it was.

Swallowing all of her feelings Laurel just kept smiling and said: "It's a small pack with many travellers that needed a place to settle down last winter." At least that's what she and her sister had been. But they were much smaller now than they had been at the time, and with many young mouths to feed. Hopefully the pups would soon be able to contribute to the hunting, too, rather than just eating more and more each day. "And we stayed. The territory's beautiful, and not a lot of borders because it's a natural pit of sorts with only one opening." A bit like a prison. A very beautiful prison, but still.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
A pack of travelers, settling for the winter, much like Slavik would be doing. The description she gave of the territory though sounded a bit confining. Though Slavik would find a pack for the winter, he was still very keen on his freedom. One exit, only one way to make a daring escape. He obviously wouldn't say that though, he didn't want to come off as rude especially to someone he'd just met. Sounds like a pretty safe place, he said with a hum.

His eyes briefly drifted to the rabbit at Laurel's feet, and a question bubbled up to his lips, Are you just out hunting then? He was a hunter himself, and always liked to hear from others like him.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel nodded when he said it sounded like a safe place. Maybe he would take it into consideration, then. As he asked if she was just out hunting, Laurel nodded at him. She followed his gaze briefly to the rabbit and found herself taking a small step forward to stand over her prize a bit more. "Yep," she confirmed then. Laurel looked hesitant as she considered whether to try and slice into another conversational subject or simply take the rabbit and go now. He seemed semi-interested but she wasn't sure there was much left to their conversation.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
The response Slavik received to his question wasn’t exactly fulfilling but he realized that maybe she just wasn’t as talkative and open as he. Upon him commenting on the animal she moved protectively over it again, and Slavik felt bad that she didn’t trust him enough yet to know he wasn’t going to try anything. He was overly trusting, he often forgot that others were not. He instinctively dipped his head a little, and spoke, I was just wondering, I’m a hunter so I like to hear from others like me.

He could feel their conversation having come to an end, she likely wanted to get her kill home and he understood that. He stood back straight and gave her a smile, I won’t keep you anymore, nice meeting you Laurel, he said.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel picked up that he was clearly making himself not dangerous, though she stayed where she was; especially considering he was a loner she did not fully trust him. Loners could be hungry and who knew what he might be planning while he was smiling happily at her and showed submissive behaviour? Laurel and Indra hadn't always been nice about getting their food when they were still together alone, either.

He said he was a hunter and wanted to hear from others. "Ah, I see. You're welcome to drop by Bearclaw Valley and call at the borders to chat more about hunting, if you want," she offered then, and she smiled again. Relief washed over Laurel as Slavik said he would not keep her any longer; she did feel safer bringing this home. "Nice to meet ya," Laurel said casually and she smiled heartily a last time before picking up her kill and starting to make her way home to Bearclaw Valley where she'd decide whether to cache the kill or feed it to her children.