Permafrost Hollows through indiscriminate suffering men know fear
All Welcome  January 05, 2019, 09:27 AM
Wintersbane
Pledged
The Vartija
the vartija scouting thread || part ii.

a light snow had begun to fall about late-morning as wintersbane makes his way just north of permafrost hollow. he's inspected the hollow enough to ensure that any scents of others are faded and do not linger. content that it's in no danger of being snatched out from beneath him he adds it to a mental list of top pack-potential territories. the taiga has already been decided for the general location — thus far he has yet to come across any pack scents and he's already crossed several different herd trails still relatively fresh and abundant. it makes sense to him that they'd migrate where there isn't the lingering scent of predators every which way they turn.

he takes his time with his exploration, favoring thorough investigation — though he is aware that he should fulfill his original purpose when he'd went on this little adventure if only to present blackfeather woods with parting closure when he decides to sever himself from them — though he knows it's risky. putting the would-be vartija in potential crosshairs that should not concern them ...and what if the risk was taken and it was all in vain? blackfeather woods was not what it used to be. it is a weak echo of what he'd known as a child. for a brief moment it'd been strong but now its numbers dwindle worryingly lower and the threat of war looms. a war that they cannot win. wintersbane knows this. he sees this. just as he is coming to realize that everything around him hinders on a precipice of change; it's a dangerous balancing act and tipping too much to one side or the other was all it would take.

he tucks his thoughts aside for the moment. worrying them like a bone does him no good at the moment. he will cross those bridges when he arrives at them. instead, he focuses his attention to the bracken woods as he pushes deeper into the woods; a mixture of tangled conifers and deciduous trees. he sidesteps a particularly thorny bush and makes a mental note to watch out for them as he ventures further inland, concluding that thorny bushes alone wouldn't make this the best to settle nor to use as hunting grounds unless necessary.

「 16/∞ threads 」
The Vartija「 green lit 」
available for sprees on the weekends
@wintersbane for a thread

and that was the thing about him.
he kept on surviving
with bullet holes in his lungs
and knife marks etched in his back
January 09, 2019, 12:44 PM
Valkyr
Pledged
The Vartija
Damn it was cold here. Not the same cold as the beaches and all, the hot tempered girl thought. But a different kinda cold. The kinda cold that snatched her up and said “aye fuck ya sister, settle that hunky ass of yours in a pack somewhere and try and survive!” Well, she didn’t really have that much of a choice. She couldn’t find Vyn at all, and she had wandered up the beaches coast so much, she had entered winter wonderland. She and Vyn were from the southern breed - heat and spring weather was there thing. But this shit right here?! Damn.

Cursing up a storm hit enough to keep her face from being frosted off, she trudged through the drifts of snow. She really didn’t have anywhere to go- she needed a spot to lie and hopefully, stay.

Just ahead, the wind courteously blew a scent towards her, fainter than it had been from the cold, and instantly her mind locked into it. Another wolf! With luck, it would be her sister- but Valkyr knew better. Vyn wouldn’t be trudging her ass through this mess. 

Stocky body keeping forward, she hungrily followed the scent until she just couldn’t take it anymore. “Hey! Anybody out there?!” She kEkeD through the petrified and permafrosted forest.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?”
January 10, 2019, 04:28 AM
Wintersbane
Pledged
The Vartija
tagging for reference because i made derg's thread before this one. *tries to keep a semi-stable but mostly chaotic timeline*.

wintersbane doesn't trudge too far into the bracken woods before he turns and retraces his steps back out and back towards the hollow. the woods wasn't going to work. maybe for wolves that didn't mind the thorny underbrush cutting at their legs and tangling in their fur ...but wintersbane vain as he was wasn't one of them. there were territories to the north yet to poke about and explore — and to ascertain what he suspects to be true ...that the taiga is otherwise scarce with packs but there would be time for that another day.

he's close to permafrost hollows when the howl rises up, slicing through the chilled air. the creator of the call is near and for a brief moment wintersbane is hit with a strange sense of déjà vu; strange because it is both familiar — the warrior'd intercepted plenty of calls during his time with blackfeather — and foreign — because trying to bring together a group of wolves to form a pack and having someone call from the confines of a pack either drawn by his or @Derg's scent is a novelty.

it doesn't take the tundrian long to find her and despite the muted grays, creams and browns of the permafrost hollows in the winter it is not hard to discern her from the landscape. though ...at first glimpse he almost mistakes her for derg. their agouti coloring is similar and he's glad she did call or else it might've gotten a bit awkward. terveisiä, he breaks the silence that follows his approach that has slowed to a stop a few feet from her, his glacial gaze appraising and curious. it's been some time since he's spoken tundrian so openly and so often. he supposes that in this, in striking out to find his own path and creating something inspired so thoroughly by his tundrian ancestors ( what he remembers and imagines of them ) and his mother makes him feel closer to her. greetings. he offers the translation in common tongue a few moments later with a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips beholding a brief and private spell of nostalgia.

you called? borders were not existent yet — because he was still technically scouting out the options despite that that he felt an undeniable pull towards the permafrost hollow; but there was a rise of something that felt suspiciously territorial all the same brewing within his chest. for the most part he keeps it out of his body language except for the slight rise of his chin which was always his tell-tale in the end — that proud and 'i'm in command' hold of his head that he's been practicing since he started squabbling with his siblings ( namely mallaidh ) to assert litter dominance.

「 16/∞ threads 」
The Vartija「 green lit 」

he kept on surviving
January 11, 2019, 11:57 AM
Valkyr
Pledged
The Vartija
She had hoped the swish of sounds that bombarded her ears was that of her sister coming back to her, but the swishes were a bit louder than her delicate sibling tended to make. But taking a step back in case she had fucked up and summoned a bear on accident, the thicc girl readied herself either to throw a sucker punch or take the hell off.

What the hell-

A wolf that was clearly bigger and much more suave than her ass walked through the empty woods with the sway of a king.  And then he bamboozled her with some words she didn't even speak. The first thing that came to her lips as she settled slightly, "Please don't tell me I fucked up and crossed your border-" she threw out there before the translation hit her in the hard head. Oh- Well, atleast this hot hunk was friendly. She needed a bit of friendly before an assbeating. "And...hi; Your language is cool." Valkyr wasn't good for flirting. She wasn't good at seducing, or even being likable. But she was good at fighting and pushing others away. She needed to do the very opposite of this normal for her, right now.

"I did! I...I kinda need a place to stay..I lost my sister, and there's storms coming, and frankly-" she poured herself out to this stranger, some deranged part of her hoping he'd take some semblance of sympathy on her ass."I'm kinda scared." The tanky girl didn't throw herself at others like this...but she was desperate, and if she wanted to survive, she'd have to do things she didn't often wanna do. Suck it up, sista girl.

"You got maybe a place I could crash? If you don't have any food, I can hunt- Or beat somebody elses ass that you don't like, and take their food, instead."Was an offer. A rogueish one, but an offer.

January 13, 2019, 05:12 AM
Wintersbane
Pledged
The Vartija
        he assess the woman, noting that she's built to be a heavy hitter — not unlike himself. it's not an uncommon thing, he supposes, though he is used to seeing woman built with a more delicate cut to their curves than one who looks like she could hold her own — and that wasn't to say that more delicately cut woman couldn't hold their own in a fight because he knows they absolutely can. thank you. the tundrian offers simply to her compliment, though it feels a bit strange to accept it. 'tundrian' doesn't belong strictly to him, admittedly. he 'uses' it, or is trying to incorporate it more into his vernacular but he can't claim ownership of it which accepting her compliment makes him feel like he's doing.

she launches into an explanation at his prompting, seemingly in a hurry to get the words out, speaking that she needs a place to say, that she lost her sister, that there's storms coming — glacial gaze flickers briefly to the sky which looks fairly calm and unassumingly storm-free. so did she mean the second half of winter? or did she use 'storms' as a euphemism for something else? her admittance of being afraid draws his cool gaze back down to her and earns a flick of a velveteen ear. that couldn't have been easy a thing to admit — especially to a stranger. he feels like he's supposed to offer some words of comfort ...but he's never been good at comforting. like his father before him, handling sensitive subjects has never been his strong suit.

an amused snort leaves wintersbane's lips at her offer. maybe we shouldn't go around beating asses. not until we form at least, spoken with a quirk of his lips. one day we'll call this place the vartija, he tells her. loosely translated it means the wardens. i like the idea of having regular spars to keep the skills sharp and i don't necessarily like the idea of being in other pack's business — that gets messy and ugly real quick — but we'll see how we feel about alliances and all that shit after the fact. blackfeather woods operated without alliances and with a lot of hatred on them ...and yet in the end with no favors to call upon he wonders if that will be their downfall. his first priority was to get official; all the finer details could be hammered out later.

the vartija is going to operate a bit differently than a 'traditional' pack. it's going to be a war clan where regular spars are encouraged to keep skills sharp ...but wolves don't have to be warriors or rogues to join. i just feel that it's beneficial to know how to fight even if it's to defend one's self. pretty much what i've seen of the packs i've ran with ranks are unchallengeable. you claw your way up and hope that if you're ambitious enough you reach as high as you want to go. there's nothing wrong with that but i like the idea of ranks being decided by contribution, yes, but also by one's own ambition. all ranks in the regular hierarchy should be challengeable but the pack should get it's say, should be allowed to interfere if they don't agree especially if it comes to leadership. wintersbane's long since thought about the risks of opening up his own rank to challenges ...but if he's not doing his job, if he's not doing right by his pack then he should absolutely be forced to take a step back and reassess.

sound like something you could be apart of? the tundrian poses the inquiry to her.

「 16/∞ threads 」
The Vartija「 green lit 」

he kept on surviving
January 14, 2019, 11:26 AM
Valkyr
Pledged
The Vartija
He completely bypassed her revelation, offering her no kind of pity. But what he had done, was admit that he had a pack coming to be, and that was all he needed. This sobered her up a bit, and she cursed the hormones that possibly threw her into such an emotional tangent. Last thing she needed to be doing was being caught out in the wilds by herself going through heat. It was already starting for her, and almost semi-conciously, she tucked the majority of the heft of her tail between her legs. Despite her nervous appearance, her words were stronger, a hell of a lot of improved from the snivelling thing of mild panic she was, before. If this dude wasn't going to allow her to be soft, and he was a part of a pack like this, she had no choice. She had to balls up too.

Back to the old grind, it seemed.

"Hell yea!" she threw out there enthusiastically. Well, after all, it was her kind of party. Despite her missing her sister immensely, and despite her knowing had she been out in the wilds even longer, some random storm was gonna sweep her up and suffocate her in the damn snow, she was cool with this. "I'm down."

January 17, 2019, 03:55 AM
Wintersbane
Pledged
The Vartija
        she was nervous, wintersbane notes. he picks it up in her body language and he supposes this is a good thing — though he misunderstands the origins of her nervousness. he doesn't realize that she'll soon go into full blown estrus. he ( definitely arrogantly ) thinks its him that makes her nervous. her words are a direct paradox to her body language and unable to help himself, the tundrian lets out a low chuckle at her mismatching enthusiastic response. you can relax, he assures her with a grin tugging at the edges of his lips. i'm wintersbane, he introduces himself. the sotaherra or the warlord. it means one and the same. his revelation to use a 'tundrian' word for his rank is only his plight to keep himself close to the ansbjørns and the ancestors the vartija is undoubtedly inspired by.

c'mon, i'll give you the tour, he gestures with his muzzle. the permafrost hollows might look like any other woodland; but beneath the ground we walk on is a whole other world. i haven't fully explored all the tunnels and caverns yet but i don't recommend venturing them by yourself unless you're comfortable and confident with your ability to find your way out. if wintersbane's time in blackfeather taught him anything it was that caverns and tunnel networks could easily become labyrinths to those that were not used to navigating them.

there's a lot of work to be done yet, he admits. border marking, cache building, recruiting. i'll be in and out of the territory primarily recruiting and border marking. he informs her as they move through the hollows, wintersbane making an effort not to move too fast though he does not doubt her ability to keep up with him. if you recruit a wolf bring them back here and call for me when i return ...if i'm not already in-territory. i sincerely doubt i'm going to turn anyway but i'd like the last say regardless. it was probably pretty obvious but the tundrian felt it worth saying nevertheless.

「 16/∞ threads 」
The Vartija「 green lit 」

he kept on surviving