Duck Lake Say that love
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
She wandered. She had reasons to wander, well, two reasons really. And the two reasons were very much intertwined. She needed to find wolves, so here she was trying her luck again at the lake. She'd had mixed luck here before, but she hoped some time it would turn. The weather seemed to have lifted, most of the snow was gone.. A brighter day.

Arbiter went up to the edge of the lake, dipping her head to lap up some of the water. Finished, she licked her lips and looked around. Who would she find? Certainly someone. There had to be someone. If said someone could be an unattached male of what seemed like good breeding, she'd maybe think things had turned around.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Whatever had transpired between him and Raleska, his current plans had not changed. He had promised to stick around with Arbiter and help with Legion, even if the slow going nature of it was sometimes a bit disheartening. Kaertok, however, was not one to break a promise, especially when there was much to be gained if he did stick around. With so many others leaving, it was likely that he could get on good terms with the leader-to-be and step into a place of decent power in the meantime.

Following Arbiter's trail to the lake, he greeted her with a soft chuff. He hadn't seen her since he'd found Raleska, and it seemed important news to share. All that searching finally paid off, he said, skipping pleasant introductions. I located Raleska.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Since she'd managed to not cross paths with Kaertok on his last return to the territory other than scenting that he had returned, she'd expected he'd just end up gone. From her experience so far, it was a realistic assumption. So many were happy to leave, it seemed. But now she'd start on a wider sweep, to go find those that might make for good minions. Perhaps the easily controlled would be more loyal.

And so in this negative swirl of thought, one who she thought was a ghost had returned, apparently having recently returned from his own adventures. A single wag of her tail -- she was glad he had come back, but let's not get all emotional now -- ears pitching forward. A few sniffs, trying to discern his travels, Was she at the coast as you guessed? A tilt of her head, but not too much of a pause before she continued, You ran off about when I made the adjustments to my plans. In other words, if he was going to say he was totally bailing right now, he might be missing out -- but that wasn't the whole thing, news was everywhere.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
The Tartok wolf shook his head. No, they moved on from there, he replied. 'They' being Rusalka. A part of him wanted nothing more than to abandon Arbiter and her cause, but he knew that he wouldn't and couldn't. He had promised to help her with this, and watching so many others leave made him even more determined to stay.

Adjustments? he asked. Kaertok wondered what those might be and how they might effect him. Was he being pushed out of the picture, or being tempted further in.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Have you decided your path? She would still try to tempt him, regardless. It was easier to do so than to try to find another. By now she was through whatever mourning her losses she was willing to do: it was back to business and the shrewd decisions Arbiter made were based on her own wants and the good of her people who still remained. We return to the way things should have been: forward progress. Terance is gone -- at this point I don't count on his return. The priority is the search for recruits rather than him, in my eyes. If you are not planning on chasing Raleska, then there are opportunities here that may be of interest depending on your goals. I expect to fill another leadership rank once the time seems right, but there are other ranks of responsibility that can be taken now and guided towards the higher. If that is not tempting to you, then perhaps the fact that I no longer have someone to sire my children for the year might be. 

She was a very practical woman, in case it wasn't obvious, but that didn't mean she didn't have a sense of humor about some of it, as weird as it was, I'd love to say I'd be having some grand competition for the right, but with stresses gone, I don't think my body will allow me that fun in the end. Perhaps for next year if nobody appealed long-term. There were currently two choices in the ranks besides the third option of just letting the unknown make the decision for her. Kaertok had seniority over the wolf that her daughter had found, certainly, but if his dreams were tied elsewhere, did she want to fight those?
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
There was nothing to decide. The Tartok had pledged himself to Arbiter. Raleska was still important to him (though in what way, Kaertok was uncertain), but Arbiter was just as important. She'd always allowed him the freedom that he craved, and so far, her reaction to him finding Raleska seemed tempered. Of course, then she dropped the real bomb.

She didn't expect to find Terance back anytime soon, and she was giving up any hope that he would be back in time to sire her children. She, like many of the females Kaertok had met in his time, had the intense desire to procreate. Not that he didn't have that desire, of course. Towhee was proof of that. She had earned the right to what he had given her. Not only was Arbiter suggesting they bring children into the world, but she was also not-so-subtly hinting that he might find a place at her side when Legion was strong and steady. It was a lot to take in.

He tried to consider what his mother's advice might be, and he wished that she were here now so he could seek her counsel. Instead, he would have to rely on his own logic and thought process.

Until Legion is strong, I do not think bringing children into the mix is wise. Without more support, the children will not survive. He paused, trying to gauge her reaction before he continued. Assuming we do have enough support, what happens if Terance returns to find me the father of your children? And how will your current children feel about all this? The last thing I want is to be wrapped up in some family drama with everybody blaming me for being a home wrecker. Okay, some part of him did like that idea, but it was all too complicated for Kaertok.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She wanted to make sure that if he was running off again that she had dumped as much information on him as she could possibly dredge up, just in case. She'd missed her chance last time somehow, so she jumped on the chance now instead. If you are staying, our pack already has its strong core. You, Jomyo, Pheiros is young but finding his place, plus my children who remain, and myself. She didn't include Ashlar, she'd give him more time to settle (assuming he did) without Gannet around before counting him. I'd prefer more, of course. But even if my heat started tomorrow, I'd have about a month of near-normal days to continue finding other wolves to fill the gaps. I personally would regret not taking the chance more should it all come together the week after. Though perhaps she'd feel differently after her conversation with Merrick, but this thread takes place first, oh well. I inquire now so I can plan.

And her children? Brou had been the one she'd worried about, but she'd gone the opposite direction than Arbiter had feared. It brought a smirk to her features, Considering my daughter brought me a different man she thought I might like, I think she'd just prefer I had less time to pester her. He's unusual looking, perhaps wouldn't be my first choice, but seems very eager to please, she mused. Spook mourns his own way. Weirdly, as always.

She shrugged, Terance will have nobody but himself to blame -- he knows what I think of those who leave without a word. If he expects he can just walk back in without consequence after what he's done, he is a fool. I chose him last year because I could count on him and what he could provide, but he's not living up to that reputation. She was still angry at him for leaving even by now most of her anger had burned away. If he came back, it would likely renew that.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Kaertok's jaw clenched when she mentioned she had a month of being able-bodied if she got pregnant right now. How long had he been here, working with her to make this happen? It had been longer than a month, and he felt they had made little progress during that time. She was impatient, a trait he found less than appealing. Arbiter then tossed out some other (random?) guy into the mix, which lessened the appeal even more. She really was baby crazy if she was thinking of letting some new guy be the father, but that wasn't his place to say.

If this new fellow is not your first choice, who is? Kaertok asked. If it was him, he wanted to know. Maybe it would boost his ego, but mostly he wanted to know if there was anybody else he was going to have to fight off if it came to that. He still wasn't convinced that she should be bringing life into the world until they were properly set up as a pack, but he still wanted to know that he was first choice.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She had wasted time, not on purpose but because of hope. She had trusted a few she shouldn't have -- Terance, Corvus -- and the times she had been close, things had just not gone through. But now that was over, she had pushed aside the past and now was getting back on the time frame she wanted -- of what was needed. Perhaps it made it easier accepting she was alone. She would make things get done.

But was it not obvious? Did he really need the praise? She swept a glance over him, You would be the logical one. Honesty instead of just a desire to please. Proof of loyalty. The thing lacking is that with the scouting you've done, I don't know you beyond the actions I've seen. But was it an issue? Perhaps. Arbiter was stubborn and had her expectations carved in stone -- if he wanted a different way, she was unlikely to budge on some of it. Valdemar perhaps had potential, but would he be able to convince her in what little time had to be left? It seemed more likely that she'd have to pick the sure thing. Perhaps he could be shaped into being an option for the future -- or at the very least a bit of fun if she and Kaertok didn't mesh the way she and Terance had.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Ah good, now it was all out in the open. Kaertok still had his doubts, of course. It seemed as though even Arbiter had some. It was true that the two of them had more of a "strictly business" relationship. And, to be fair, Kaertok would have preferred Joymo over Arbiter if given the choice. But that wasn't the choice he was given right now. He wasn't even sure how much of a partner Arbiter was looking for. Did she just want a donor (as Towhee had), or was she seeking someone more involved?

Say we're able to pull together a good support network. How much involvement would you really want from me? he asked. As a Tartok wolf, he always had the desire to build something but he'd never had the opportunity to stick around for the results. His couplings had always been brief and then they had parted ways. It may have made some feel used, but being the wanderer he was, it had given him the freedom to roam when he wanted to.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
My brain died like halfway through, rip in pepperoni.

At least in her eyes, possible pups weren't solely for her benefit. Or at least she assumed many would want to be involved with their offspring -- their existence seemed to program parents' brains to care, as much as she could tell. Perhaps it was more: Terance had even ended up wanting Arbiter herself as well, but the fallout from that was that Arbiter was keen on staying detached for now. Less pain, more focus on the important part. Her next litter would be better trained than the first.

That's part of what I mean about not knowing you as well. I'm not unreasonable -- if you want to be involved you can be, if you don't, then fine. How do you see things if it was to your ideal? A slight tilt of her head. That would be telling, she thought -- curious negotiations or what-have-you. Though really not too much in the negotiating side of things, given children would be raised one way or another, no weird cults were involved, so it was probably just a few details here and there, Arbiter figured. She'd raised all of one litter, after all.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
If I'm to be here, I would be here for good. Tartok wolves are loyal, sometimes to a fault. What Raleska is to me... I'm still not sure. But I don't think that what we have will result in children between the two of us. And if I had them with you, and if I raised them with you, then I would be loyal to you and them. It would be different if Kaertok planned to fuck-outta-town as soon as he knocked up Arbiter, but something told him that he would be sticking around at least until they were born. He hadn't ever produced children in the same pack of his own, so those times had been decidedly different.

It did mean, though, that he would not go back to Rusalka. Unless, of course, Arbiter was willing to go there. Now that was an idea that would solve both their problems, provided Rusalka had room for more children. He didn't know if they did, but it might be something to consider.

There is one thing. Which is that I would expect them to be trained as fighters. Tartok is well-known for that, and if they were to be mine, I would want that for them. Little did he know that Arbiter had much the same roots.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She held her tongue on one thing -- she had thought Terance was loyal to a fault. But he left too. Regarding Raleska, her thought was similar to his, but the opposite direction -- why couldn't she just come here? That was surely the most simple solution. But at least his words confirmed that he wasn't going to run off (theoretically), More similarities than not. But loyalty is something I certainly weigh heavily at this point. There have been many in my time here that promised the world and left. I'm not looking to take that risk with the father of my children. She considered it last year, but not now with numbers low.

But what he said last actually drew a smile from her. That wouldn't ever have been in question. A Dokuga learns to fight because it's in our blood. Unfortunately the one from this past year that was most interested in the lessons was the one who followed his father off to who-knows-where. Even if she had accepted that Terance was gone, Pike was opportunity wasted.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
I do not promise you the world, Kaertok corrected gently, but I could promise strong children. Yours would not be my first, and although the other mothers did not wish for my involvement, I hear that those children have grown up strong and able. The fact that one of her children had left was not surprising to Kaertok. It was not a uncommon for yearlings to decide to travel for some length of time when they were old enough. Kaertok had done the same, spreading his wings once he was old enough to do so (although he had told his family that he was going and that he would be back, which he had done without fault).

As you know, loyalty can only be proven through time. I have been here since winter, helping to recruit, even without promise of power or children. Whoever this new guy was, he was... well, new. Kaertok had the upper hand in that regard. Ultimately, I'd still want to make sure the children were guaranteed a home. If Legion wasn't strong enough by the time you were due, would you join others? he asked. Rusalka was his obvious first choice, but he didn't voice that just yet.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
I don't want the world, I just want my part of it to be the way I want it. It was much easier to control just a small chunk, after all. She was practical -- she didn't ask to be first or only in his life, as it wasn't like he'd be hers, obviously. But yes. If it's something you want, then our interests will align -- and as I said, I reward the loyal. I recognize yours. Really it was just either Valdemar did something crazy special to attract her attention or Kaertok messed up big time that would throw her from that. Would they? If they continued as were, probably not. And what you could provide.

But what about the worst cases? I'll consider it, though I don't like it. I just don't know what pack would be an option. Easthollow has been our longest term allies, and Valette has always offered to assist if needed... But I don't know if my values and hers mesh under the same banner. Though Whitebark Stream is closest, but all things considered, I don't know them well. The other packs I know are gone. They were also lead by two of her former members. She wasn't sure she wanted to deal with them. A very last resort, maybe. But considering they were likely out of spots anyway... Did your scouting missions bring you anything? He certainly had a better chance of finding something than she had.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Kaertok nodded, indicating that he both understood and agreed with her bit about wanting her slice of the world. He had so often been a background character, a second-hand-man. The Tartok wolf certainly wasn't opposed to continuing to live his life that way, but if an opportunity like this presented itself, it was too hard to pass up. So long as they had the support (or could muster it before the children were born), Kaertok was in.

Arbiter listed out the packs she was aware of, and Kaertok listened. None were packs that he knew outside of Whitebark Stream which was just a hop, skip, and jump away. He knew very little about them, but perhaps getting to know them better would be beneficial at this point. When she asked about his scouting, Kaertok shook his head. Nothing especially fruitful, sans the locating of Raleska. There's a chance we could stay with Rusalka, where Raleska is, should it come to that. Despite whatever fallout they'd had, Kaertok trusted that pack more than any other in the area. He trusted Rusalka at least as much as Legion, if not more.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She was feeling better now that it seemed like things were falling into place again. Maybe not an ideal way, but it was a way, and she'd take what she got as long as in the end it turned out ok. A final strike against Terance, perhaps -- he was gone and forcing Arbiter to make choices that she hadn't planned, We'll have to see how things look as the time approaches. A fine line to walk -- when is far enough to move to the alternate but not giving up too early. A shrug of her shoulder. They couldn't tell the future. There was only so much that could be done.

But with that done, there was a shift in her attitude to slightly more casual, maybe not playful but she spoke with humor and a hint of a smirk, Anything else you'd be wondering about my side of things or should I just warn you not to go on any extended scouting trips for a while and head back to the Bypass?   A few catlike wags of her tail. She expected he'd probably join her for the trip but eh, whatever. At least right now he didn't need to be her shadow, but as long as he didn't end up halfway across the planet at the wrong time...
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Kaertok nodded. It was hard to know how the next month or two would unfold, let alone the next three or four. He had never been the romantic type, and that was unlikely to change, but there was a glimmer of friendship blooming between himself and Arbiter. Like anything good, it would take time to develop and refine. Throwing children into the mix might move things on a bit faster than he would have liked, but perhaps it would make them grow stronger, too.

When she asked if there was anything else he wanted to know, he paused for a spell. Tell me more about where you came from, he said. Tartok was rich with tradition and culture, but if they were to mix the two, he wanted to know which parts would vibe and which wouldn't. Kaertok was all-ears, ready to soak up whatever knowledge she was willing to share.

We can probably fade here if you'd like! And they can swap Tartok/Dokuga knowledge. ^__^
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter was in no rush for certain things. She'd trusted once and it hadn't exactly landed her in the best place. She was fine with practicality, but then again, she had been last year. Things would happen if they happened, and for things outside of her direct plans weren't as important -- besides, Arbiter wasn't one to make the same mistake twice. She had to be sure.

She tilted her head slightly at his question, but she'd answer. Still, Arbiter was one who didn't like going into specifics about her history -- well, not things beyond a certain level. She painted things with a broad brush because that's what she saw as important. Maybe drop in a few names, but she wasn't going to explain her whole life before the Teekons -- basically the stuff she went over was things in her profile. If anything else was asked, well, drop a PM.

And so they'd chat a while and head back to the Bypass at some point along the way.