Bramblepoint Take a look inside my eyes
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
All Welcome 
This takes place right after this thread and then actually takes place on the 18th, or it can even be the 19th! AW but secretly hoping for a member of Brecheliant <3 No obligation tho!

By the skin of her teeth, Etephyr had made it into the forest, she almost didn't have the strength. Shade shielded her from the sun and the crook of a great oak tree held her in place. Blood from her missing ear still flowed but was beginning to ebb, her ribcage burned with each breath she took, the pain of it hampered her breathing. Bruised, if not cracked, ribs chaperoned the bite to her right side, which was still gushing small spurts of blood with every inhale.

Quiet whines replaced the birds chirps in the night, along with raspy breathing. The bite to her throat truly did a number on her. Without proper medicine, she would surely die but each attempt at pushing herself to her feet was meet with utter failure. Too weak to stand, too tired to care after. Sleep beckoned to her and the bitch gladly obliged but each time she closed her lids to sleep, the woman wondered if they would ever open again. Yet still, they closed for the night.

——

Blinding light assaulted Etephyrs eyes, she groaned in protest, nearly snarling at the sun but there was some relief to be had when she slipped out from under sleeps chains. The woman lived to see the morning. Moving her head away from the stream of light, Etephyr gazed out into the forest, her eyes wandering aimlessly. As they wondered they sighted a hare, her ears flickered but the pain made her hiss, scaring the hare away. Disappointedly, Etephyr continued to lay there, her entire body so kindly reminiscing about the day before. 
Carefully, Etephyr checked herself over and felt for fresh blood but was happily met with crusty, gooey, dried blood. The bleeding must have stopped in the night, she surmised. Her bleak situation looked less bleak, by a small fraction sadly. The uncertainty of what she needed to do next frustrated her but what good did grumbling about it do? All it produced was pain and more pain. The woman simmered down, deciding the best course of action was to lay there and try to regain strength before someone came along to disturb her agony.  

As she lay, Etephyr wondered what her mother might be thinking, if she was proud or ashamed at her own daughters stubbornness. Somedays it was called tenacity but Etephyr didn't think it was one of those days. 
Perhaps soon, they will get to see each other again. Maybe soon, she will get to see him again. 
No one ever told me I made sense, so I stopped trying to.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
throwing her in all these ^^

Bridget had made it as far as the mountains before giving up on going to check in on Caracal. There was no way she was climbing those herself, not after what had happened last time and especially not a leg short. She just had to hope that, someday, he'd come back by and let her make it right.

Instead she circled and decided to restock some marigold from the forest north of the caldera. She'd used quite a bit of it on Castor thus far and never could have enough, honestly. It was a lifesaver when it came to mitigating infection.

Speaking of...

Bridget scented the blood first. Her ears shot up and she immediately began to hone in on the place where it led, though her fur rose in spikes as she wasn't sure what to expect. It could have been a rival predator with a kill but it smelled like wolf - someone injured who likely needed her help.

Shit. It was a wolf, bloody and clearly worse for the wear. Hey. I can help you, okay? Just don't freak out on me. Bridget came closer cautiously so that she could get a better look, but she waited for an indicator on how her proximity would be received. Injured strangers weren't always a walk in the park.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Sleep was whispering in the woman's ear again, her lids grew heavy but Etephyr fought to keep them open. She could hear something in the distance, footfalls too heavy to belong to a squirrel. It panicked her but the woman wasn't sure why. It wasn't as if she could flee, whatever the strangers intent would have to be her fate. Instincts continued to scream at her, pleaded with her to get up and run, but Etephyr didn't care to attempt anything. She remained, sprawled out on the forest floor, her upper body the only thing slightly elevating her.

The fear, however, persisted, increasing. Breathing became brisk, remaining harsh labors of her chest cavity. Was it them, she wondered? Come to track down all those that fled? They had seen her face, they knew what she had taken. As the steps got closer, anger began to simmer beneath her skin. They took everything from her and now they had come to take her life!? The bastards, guard dogs of their egregious king, blind, willingly or not of their sires crimes. 

Etephyr pulled her lips back, unveiling her blood stained teeth. She was ready to die with dignity, with ferocity but then a woman came into view. Etephyrs anger relinquished itself to relief, for a moment, the woman stared, quietly observing. Her teeth no longer bared but her maw slightly agape, brows pursed in confusion. The king had guardsmen not guardswomen, he was hateful like that. With that realization, came tears, they flowed down Etephyrs face with great protest from the eyes they sprang from. The woman didn't understand, why did tears always follow her anger? Why couldn't she be stronger damn it?! 

"You're not them right?" She questioned, her voice small. "Not the kings lackeys?" With a hoarse voice, Etephyr wondered if she was even able to be understood but that didn't stop her from talking anyways. "What are you here for?" She didn't hear a word of what the other female had to say. Etephyr laid her head back against the great oak tree and stared at the woman, checking for the kings marks. Where had this woman materialized from, she wondered.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget was glad she waited. She saw the fear clearly and stopped, trying to stay patient despite urgently wanting to check and begin treating this woman. Closer she could see deep wounds, particularly one that looked to have come near to her throat.

At least she was awake and talking. I'm not. I don't even know who they might be. Bridget responded, keeping her voice soothing. I'm a medic from a pack nearby. Thankfully I was out looking for supplies. You need help, let me treat those. She gazed at her with open concern. Bridget knew that she couldn't force a wolf to take her treatment and, if she needed to, she'd wait nearby until the woman either managed to move on herself or came to a state where she could no longer resist the aid. She couldn't, in good conscience, leave her here to die alone. Not even if that was what she wanted.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
You are welcome to do some power play and let Bridget diagnose Etephyr, the way she sees fit! Feel free to ask questions via pm if needed too.

Despite the relief, the tears, and the willingness to accept help, there remained an atmosphere of mistrust. Mulish instincts telling her to be wary. Etephyr could see the medicine woman shared much of the same thoughts. Perhaps they both saw and done things to make them wary creatures. Medicine woman was smart, Etephyr would grant her that much. The wounded bitch carefully nodded, agreeing to let her help, with Phyrs limited range of motion it came out to look like she was rocking back and forth. Even with meek movement, pain ripped down her body like a trail of fire. The girl whimpered and froze, waiting out the pain before venturing to lay her head down. 

Etephyr exposed what wounds she could as she laid on her left side. The bite to her throat, where Void had torn and removed flesh, exposing delicate meat underneath. Her missing left ear, now crusty and enflamed. As well as the bite to her right side, equally as inflamed and not without tears in the skin as well. The tears were shaped vertically, jagged and cracked like rocks on a mountain. They too had bled and sealed themselves in the night. There was only one wound not visible, her cracked ribs, not all were cracked but enough to make breathing an herculean task. Although Etephyr wasn't sure they were indeed cracked. 

As Etephyr laid, her body began to shiver, it came in small waves and of course, produced whines from the girl. Phyr would not admit it but she was terrified. She wasn't used to being put in such a vulnerable position, for dozens of moon cycles, she only had herself to depend on. This stark change unsettled her but the mule of a woman stayed silent, apart from the whines each wave came with.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget was extremely careful as she began her work. Thankfully her patient was willing and seemed to want to help, giving her easier access to the wounds so that she could check them.

Her throat was concerning but it was at least a clean tear. Bridget noted it but started with her ear, gently cleaning the area and trying to calculate if she had enough marigold gathered, thus far, to treat her. It was going to be close.

She seemed to be having some difficulties breathing also. Bridget wouldn't be able to move her and didn't want to try. She'd have to stay here for the night. Castor should be fine - Teya would check on him. His condition was at least slightly more stable and he had Eljay to help if things took a turn.

Her ear, then her side, would sting the most. They looked to have a surface infection starting but it didn't seem to have settled in. There was a chance she could head it off and she was relieved she'd come across her in time.

I'm sorry, if this stings. She said, keeping her voice quietly calm and situating herself so that the woman could lean into her if she wished. She wasn't sure who she was more afraid of - these unknown wolves or Bridget herself.

You don't need to. But I'd love to hear more about you, if you feel like talking. It might help to keep her distracted from the pain while she worked. Meanwhile Bridget busied herself chewing the marigold, making a slight face as she prepared a paste that she could apply to her ear.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Etephyr watched the woman through side eye glances, steely gaze wishing to pierce through the woman's skull and read what her brain spoke. Thus far the woman's claims of being a medic checked out, her medical knowledge appeared thorough enough and the sheer focus in her eyes put some more ease into Etephyr. The medic started with her missing ear, the bitch gritted her teeth but refrained from withdrawing her lips. Her ear, however, kept trying to flicker and dodge the medicine woman's touch. Etephyr would mutter half hearted apologies through the pain and drowsiness that muddied her mind.

It wasn't long before the medic seemed to want to break the silence, relative silence, between all the teeth sucking and small whines. At the medics suggestion, Etephyr raised an eyebrow and stole a disapproving look towards the woman for a moment. She looked away, choosing to let silence be her answer. The bitch had no intention on making friends, the fact they were now acquaintances' miffed her already but it could not be helped. It was do or die.

As the silence continued, it gave Etephyr a chance to notice the medics missing hind leg. Without seeing the hypocrisy, she questioned her medic. "What happened?" She rasped, muzzle pointing in its direction.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When she'd treated the ear she moved on to the wound in her side, trying to hit the ones that looked the most inflamed first. Her question was met with silence and she didn't seem to be seeking comfort so Bridget allowed her to keep her space. Clearly she wasn't the most friendly of strangers but that wasn't anything new, and sometimes injuries could bring out the worst in a wolf.

She wasn't bothered by the question, but she waited until she was applying a treatment with her paws to answer. It was a bite wound that went bad. I couldn't reach it to treat it well enough myself, so another healer had to remove the infection. Her response was affable and a contrast to the way it was asked. That's why I'm worried about these. Once infection poisons the blood it's hard to get rid of.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
The bitch listened. Learning the leg was lost to a bite wound that lead to infection. Etephyr took the medics words as a warning, she couldn't simply accept minimal help and be on her way. The vixen gritted her teeth, looking utterly pissed off a hedge-born would be looking after her for an undetermined amount of time.

"I understand." She simply stated, stifling any emotion that desired to come through.

"Doxy, what is your name?" She asked. "If I am to be indebted to you then I at least want your name and what the cost of your services will be; but do not misconstrue it. I will not be your indentured servant." She spat. Repayment was mandatory for Etephyr, it was simply principle not to allow someone to tie her down with debt. She had no interest in keeping favors, she was not loyal to a soul, she could never be tamed like that.     
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget stopped working for a moment and looked at her, amused, when she talked about payment. Then she shook her head and kept working, tending the herbs with her paws, so that she could answer. My name is Bridget. And in my opinion, no real medic ever takes payment for a healing. It isn't right to take advantage of a wolf who needs your help. They didn't deserve the title.

You don't owe me anything. But you do have options here. I can't move you myself right now, but once you find your feet again, I can take you back to my pack. Or you can go your own way. I'm sure Brecheliant would be happy to have you, but I'm getting the sense you are used to running solo. There wasn't any snark behind that statement, just pure observation. She wasn't sure how well this woman would fit in back home but she knew if anyone would try to accommodate her, it was Eljay.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Bridget's offer was preposterous, poorly offered and sourly rejected with a scoff. The lighting rod of pain was worth the exaggeration, Etephyr gritted her teeth through the pain and wore a half baked sneer. As the pain ebbed, the overo laid her body back down into the crook of the tree, staring aimlessly in the distance. "I won't stay at your home, what could it possibly have to offer me?" She dryly questioned. "More debt?" Etephyr answered, her expression dulled. "You say I owe you nothing but I will not take your word on that, as far as I am concerned I have a tab to pay when I am healed. Your services rendered will be dutifully kept track of and compensated accordingly, not a morsel more, not a hair less. Understand?" Etephyr hauled her frame back up to connect her golden orbs to her medics lavenders. The bitches eyes were sharp, lids laxed but jaw tight, she wasn't going to take no for an answer.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Until this moment, Bridget had been patient and pointedly cheerful. Her hackles rose, though, and her temper flared when the woman disrespected her family and her trade within a single breath. She took a step back and stared at her, then snorted. Do what you want. I won't take it. And that's probably for the best. If you're so quick to shit on it then you don't deserve a place.

Normally she could let that sort of thing roll off, but the outright double-whammy was too much. I'll finish patching you up. Then you can go make yourself someone else's problem. Clearly this bitch wasn't here to make friends and with the switch, Bridget was done trying. She needed to go get more water - and she needed a moment now, too, before she let her temper completely get the better of her.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Please let me know if I need to change something, I assumed you meant Bridget would return with water. And depending on Bridget's response, you are welcome to close this one. Etephyr will remain around bramblepoint until fully healed, so if things work out, you're welcome to create another thread! 

Etephyr struck a nerve, her ears stood tall as the medic told her off, a flicker of confusion contorted her brows but it quickly fled. Shocking, to see a sleeping bear that once laid dormant in the medic, now sharply awoken and hungry. In a way it was amusing, to see the females sensitivity but in another, it was exasperating.

The bitch chose silence, RBF (resting bitch face) taking over her expression. Etephyr took the medics brief disappearance to gauge her options. Hold firm in her words, beg and plead or apologize and reiterate. To many, apologizing was the obvious choice but to Etephyr, it was simply a card to play to get what she needed; however, not all cards are equal, she would need to play it carefully. Phyr gazed over her wounds, letting the subtle buzz of pain cast their votes. Her wounds were not dire but infection was, applying a poultice on her own would be a monumental task, one she was ill-equipped to handle. Reluctant to admit it, Etephyr wasn't so blind with pride to miss the fact she needed to depend on this Bridget woman. 

Once the medic came into view, Etephyr cleared her throat and breathed as deeply as she could without causing breathtaking amounts of pain. The woman fought to push herself to her front paws, sucking her teeth to manage pain and even biting her tongue to distract, although Etephyr knew what little good that did. 

She was as ready as she would ever be. "Bridget," She managed through the pain. "I need to apologize for my poor choice of words." A short pause. "I misspoke, my words were uncouth, bittered by pain and exhaustion but still, I apologize." Her next words forced her to swallow hard, a lump of pride trying to force its way back to her mouth. "I need help, I need you." Her words felt unsafe, they endangered her. Her body quaked, minuscule vibrations plagued her legs and chest, partly due to her waning strength. "I am sure your home is—" She stopped, struggling to find an endearing word. "Adequate - but, now more than ever before, it would not be right of me to take up space without some form of repayment." It wasn't entirely a lie, Etephyrs mother taught her to never greedily take from others generosity. "I ask to be forgiven and for you to enable me to repay your kindness." It was over, her carefully constructed words were on the table, so the woman's body slumped back down to the dirt after finally reaching muscle failure.

She simply stared at her medic, a million thoughts rushing through her mind, pounding in her head like a herd of galloping horses. Was her efforts in vain? Isn't that what she deserved? Absolutely.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget came back with water after a relatively short span. She'd cooled down a tidge but still figured the woman would shove her off as soon as she was able. Instead she found her moving to sit up and apologizing.

What you need to do is lie down. Bridget replied, but she was already slumping down anyway. She stayed quiet a minute, then sighed. Technically that was twice she'd insulted her family but at least this time there was some good intention behind it. Look, our pack doesn't work that way. You might have had a shit run of things so far but some wolves stick together because they are family and care, and the only payment they need is for the others to have their back when it comes down to it. That's only something you'd have to do if you chose to join. I'm not offering you a place, I'm no leader. I'm offering you a safer place to stay while I treat you because I'd rather not stick around out here. If you want to call that 'payment', then fine. She looked at her directly, hoping some part of that hit home.

She also didn't look great. She was going to need food, ready access to water, and at least one of those things Bridget wasn't sure she could readily provide right now.

If she refused again, Bridget would drop it and try her best to make sure she didn't die out here on her own. But she wouldn't be able to stick around, and likely would have to make trips back and forth to cover it.
45 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
I am very sorry about the waiting, life getting in the way right now. Im gonna go ahead and close this on your reply if thats okay!
'wolves stick together because they are family and care' . Did Bridget have to read her like a book?
Etephyr thought, a mild glimmer of wistful memories crossing past her eyes. Memories of another time, long forgotten by those who robbed her of being able to make more memories but certainly not forgotten by her. That would be too good of a luxury, as would a caring home.  

"I can't." She quietly spoke, her eyes ghostly, empty. "I would like to stay here. Even if that means your services stop." Maybe she would make it without help, maybe she wouldn't but was any of it truly in her control? No, not really.
Thread limit (1/2)
Brecheliant
Family
802 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
No worries! If you want another, let me know! Otherwise feel free to assume Bridget came back and brought her what she needed until she was ready to move on <3

Bridget thought she saw a glimmer of something, but then there was only an empty denial. It wasn't hard for the counselor to guess that something deeper lay underneath. If they had a better relationship, or she seemed open to friendship, Bridget might have pressed for it. Instead she nodded. Fair enough.

She wasn't going to leave her here alone so long as she was willing to accept help and no longer actively antagonistic. Just know that's your decision, and one you can change at any point. Brecheliant didn't deserve the blame for asking too much. I'll need to go back and get more supplies, and maybe some food. It'd be a waste of good supplies if you starve first. She smiled and let out a light snort of well-meaning laughter. She needed to eat too, and with this leg, fishing was about all she'd been able to manage so far.

I'll be back. Try to let those settle until then. She indicated the dressings she'd already applied to the wounds, hoping she'd stay somewhat still. Then, without waiting for a confirmation, she departed to gather what she could.

She'd continue to make trips until the woman was well enough to leave. Bridget fully expected her to disappear without notice when that happened, but until she showed up to an empty forest, she'd bring treatment and meals.