Northstar Vale over glacial plains
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
All Welcome 
He was supposed to be at home, his vermin catching duties done for the day.

Instead, Nanuq was stealing away from the canyon on the well-worn path to Epoch while Aquene was away, tending to some duty or another. Perhaps a sentry saw him leave and perhaps not, but he was not stopped, and the moment his feet passed the borders, he was off at a gallop that matched his racing heart rate.

He halted when the scent of wolves both familiar and unfamiliar signalled a border. Casting a quick glance back over his shoulder, Nanuq gave a little yip-yip, hoping to call someone to him before he was found out and dragged back to Mereo by his tail.

0 / 3 THREADS · PLAYER INFORMATION
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The unfamiliar call was a surprise. Arsenio redirected himself, following the fresh scent of Mereo. He wondered if something had gone wrong in the canyon.

Fur ruffled, the Arche followed the trail of the canyon scent until he caught sight of a pale shape. The russet man lifted his head and chuffed out a greeting, a warning to say that he was approaching from behind. As he drew nearer, Arsenio realized that this visitor was young. He looked like he might have been one of Kallik’s boys. The Greek felt a flash of worry for the family in Mereo.

Boy, slow your pace! Are you well? the Arche called out to him.
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Nanuq expected to be greeted from within the territory, but the proud auburn leader of Epoch came from along the borders to his rear. The boy folded immediately into a posture of respect, as he was taught by his mother, with his two-toned eyes glued to the man's broad red chest. His heart thumped even harder against his ribs when Arsenio spoke.

Yes, he answered, followed immediately by, is this Epoch? Arsenio was right to be worried from the tight, rushed quality of Nanuq's voice, although his emergency was only in his head, and was of his own making. He felt like there were lions roaring down his back. It was only a matter of time before Aquene realized he was gone, or Germanicus noticed he had left the territory, and then they would take him back to that awful place with those awful duties.

He had made his decision, but until it was made real, they could still come for him.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Worry creased the redstone wolf’s features. The young man moved immediately into a respectful stance, head bowed. When he spoke, it was in the response of a soldier-in-training. He said that he was well. It felt like there might have been something beneath his initial answer. Arsenio did not want to dig. He did not know what had brought the boy to their home.

This is Epoch. I am Arsenio, he offered in a gentle tone. I am the Arche here. I lead with my wife Tamar. It felt peculiar to offer so much information. The man thought it best to share what he could before making guesses about who this freckled young wolf was.

There was a small tilt of his head. The glacial blue of his eyes softened on the young figure’s face.

You are one of Kallik’s sons? Is your mother well? Has something happened in the canyon?
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Nanuq already liked Arsenio much more than Germanicus. The Imperator would have ignored his question and demanded something else. This man not only answered, but expanded upon it, and then identified Nanuq's family with ease. It made the boy feel seen in a way he never had at home.

Arsenio spoke with a formality that reminded Nanuq of his mother, which calmed the boy and begged a proper response. Yes, I am Nanuq. He took a couple steadying breaths, trying to still the thundering of his pulse so that his voice did not quaver. My mother is well. My father is still away. Nothing has happened in the canyon, but...

He licked his lips, nervous now, and finally blurted out his reason for being here: Can I live here? Please?

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Nanuq eased slightly, settling into himself. He answered each of Arsenio’s questions in a polite way, touching on everything that had been asked with the necessary information. The young man had grown into this shape without the presence of his father. Aquene was a good woman, but her duties had been to the outpost and the soldiers. The russet man couldn’t help but wonder if her kids had missed their parents while they had turned into young men.

When he asked if he could stay, the Arche stepped forward in concern. There was a crease in his forehead and a flash of worry in his eyes. It was important that Nanuq did not feel that he was in trouble. Arsenio simply didn’t know what had caused the desire to move… and without his family. Had Aquene only given birth to one boy? Did she know that her son stood on Epoch’s door asking to stay?

Nanuq, you are welcome here. Please, come with me and I will take you to get food and to drink from one of the rivers. They could talk as the young figure was introduced to the vale. Does your mother know you wish to relocate? I only ask so that we might prepare to… help you tell her. I know that I would worry for my son if he disappeared from home.
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
It seemed most pertinent to Nanuq to get the yes or no out of the way first; then he could ask about his brother. He knew Siku hated Mereo as much as he did. Maybe even more, since it was him the Imperator had turned down. Nanuq had only been witness to it.

He followed Arsenio away from the border, mumbling his earnest thanks with a gratefully wagging tail. The Arche had an important question. Nanuq hesitated; would Arsenio bring him back to Aquene if he answered unfavourably? He said otherwise but Nanuq couldn't always be sure with the grown-ups.

Arsenio seemed so nice and warm compared to Germanicus and many of Mereo's soldiers, though. That opened Nanuq up to extending some trust.

I haven't talked to her 'bout it, he admitted in a low tone. She doesn't know I'm here. I'm not 'sposed to leave the den except to kill mice and rats. His brows scrunched into a frown. I don't want her to worry, so I should tell her, but if I go back, the Imperator will make me stay. He might even make me push the big rock. Nanuq wasn't yet big enough to budge it, but he wouldn't put it past the man to force him to try anyway, since he'd now gone and disobeyed his punishment for his last bout of disobedience.

I hate it there, he said earnestly. Me and Siku both do. He can come live here, too, right? If he wants to?

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was difficult to express any kind of disappointment in a boy who was so kind with his words and earnest in his asking. Arsenio felt a heavy rock weighed in his stomach. He had known that the Roman was a difficult man, a man who did not deviate from his beliefs. The Arche had known Aquene, too. Her only concern had been to tend to the injured and ill. Hearing that Nanuq was not supposed to leave his den unless he was killing mice or rats was challenging to swallow.

As a father, Arsenio ached for Nanuq. He did not know how Kallik could listen to the orders given to him, to leave his family on an errand for his Imperator. Though he did not like it, the man thought back to his time in Akashingo. At least the Pharaoh had offered drink and pleasure to his guests. Had this been Germanicus’ concern at the start? He had been hesitant to allow for families. Young children could not thrive in the role of a soldier.

Taking Nanuq to a heavily wooded spot beside one of the rivers, Arsenio slipped away to pull meat from a nearby cache. He returned with a rabbit, setting it down for the boy to take.

Siku is your brother? Your friend? They are welcome, too. I would not turn them away. I will not turn you away either, Nanuq. You are the son of a dear friend which means that you will have my protection and care – as if you were one of my own. Arsenio wanted Kallik and Aquene’s children to be happy and to know peace. If the healer woman wished to prioritize her duties to Mereo, he would not speak against her. The russet wolf would merely step in to fill the role that was needed.

We must tell Aquene. I can journey to Mereo to speak with the Imperator and your mother. I will tell them that I have allowed you to stay here for as long as you wish. A thoughtful frown found his lips. There was only one other matter that bothered him. Nanuq had arrived on his own, hurried and quiet. There did not appear to be anyone else with him.

Where is Siku?
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
I've decided to shelf Nanuq for now, but thank you for taking the time to have this thread and having him in Epoch for his brief time here. I'm happy to finish this one up before I deactivate him. It can be assumed that news of @Aquene leaving Mereo reaches him, and since he thinks @Siku is still with her, Nanuq decides to leave and chases after them! Kallik just returned so I will hold onto him a little longer and see what happens there!

Feeling less panicked than before, Nanuq managed to unfurl his posture into something hopeful while he followed Arsenio to the river. If Siku came to live here as well, then they might be able to convince Aquene to come, too. Whether she did or not, they would be close by and could visit, so long as the Imperator did not bar them from doing so. And if he did, Nanuq thought Aquene would still be able to visit them here.

It seemed like the perfect plan, and he even allowed himself to relax a little, laying on his side and listening to the soothing burble of the river until Arsenio returned with a rabbit in his jaws.

Pulling the meat toward him, Nanuq mumbled a grateful, thank you very much, before tucking in. His ears remained angled politely forward and his tail wagged gently, taking in all that the Arche had to say.

He nodded along when the man said they had to tell Aquene, despite the swooping sensation of nerves in his belly. He didn't think Germanicus would take his absconding very well. Then again, Germanicus had never given any indication that Nanuq was anything more than a cog in the great Mereo machine to him — in fact, he had to wonder if the Imperator even knew his name — so maybe he wouldn't even care.

He's still in Mereo with mother, Nanuq replied, swallowing a bit of rabbit haunch and licking his jowls before continuing. He's really good at hiding so he might be hard to find. He wanted to talk to the Imperator but the Imperator said no, he said we had to get back in line, even though this other kid was pushing Siku around, too. He's been hiding from the Imperator ever since, but he's still there, and I just know he'd love it here!

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I am incredibly excited to hear that. Nanuq and Siku are adorable. I am happy you might keep him on the forum! I hope the brothers get to reunite soon. ^^

The boy was more polite than many grown wolves Arsenio had known. His heart ached to think that Nanuq’s family did not know where he was, that he had willingly stretched his bonds with them. But who could blame a child for shunning the life of a soldier? The Arche saw no fault in what Nanuq had done. He was not the boy’s father but he would lend his support, regardless. 

As the young wold chewed at the rabbit meat, Arsenio settled in to listen. The brother, Siku, was still in Mereo. He had experienced something difficult with Germanicus. The redstone man understood this, too. The Roman was not an easy character to bond with. He acted for the better of his plans. In many cases, this had worked in Arsenio’s favor. In others, it seemed a harsh detriment to the Imperator’s character. These were challenging things for children to navigate. 

Siku will be welcome, too. If you both wish to stay, of course. Arsenio did not wish to speak on the boy’s decision. He had traveled a great deal and needed his rest. Tell me about yourself, Nanuq. Epoch is a place of learning and teaching. Is there anything you wish to know? Anything you might like to teach, one day? The man’s glacial gaze fixed to the boy’s face. His russet tail thumped softly against the ground.