Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Towhee stared at @Leona and @Jack Snipe as they nursed beside @Nanuq and @Siku, feeling immensely grateful and hideously jealous all at once as she watched @Aquene feed her babies. Was this how @Maxim and fathers in general felt: powerless to do anything but hover close by? Towhee twitched, though whether it was due to her milk fever or her wrought emotions was anybody’s guess.

Eventually, she turned to nibble at the provisions brought to her. She didn’t feel hungry but she was determined to do everything the medicus told her to do in order to get better. She wanted to nurse her own children as soon as possible, so she chewed and swallowed, fighting nausea and tears the entire time.

I assume they might be in Aquene’s and @Kallik’s den but I kept it vague. Please just let me know if I need make any edits!
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He hadn't said one thing against Aquene's added duty of feeding Towhee's children. He knew Towhee would do the same for his wife if the situation was reversed, and he knew the other mother needed to heal. Aquene was perfect for the job. The women were close and easily shared their den, even if it was a little crowded at times. He was just thankful everyone had come out okay in the end; he knew Aquene would have never forgiven herself if something had happened to Towhee or her pups. 

Kallik returned to the den as the sun was setting for the day. He was tired and ready to spend time with his family. Two rabbits were clasped in his jaws, one for Towhee and one for his wife. He set the food down near the den opening as he entered. Kallik greeted Towhee with a dip of his head and then made a beeline for Aquene. He kissed her cheek and the each of his son's heads. Then he stretched and shook the tension from his muscles before settling down behind Aquene. 

How are you? he asked to Towhee. Despite his usual annoyance with her, Kallik did worry after her. He wanted her to get better, and he did whatever either of them needed.
Inuttuk
Common
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Nanuq is skippable and powerplayable!

Nanuq rooted around for an opening in the pile of puppy bodies, which had doubled overnight somehow, but when he didn't find a good spot in the first five minutes of searching, he gave up and melted into a puddle of sad, hungry puppy on the floor.

This was routine ever since the arrival of the new pups, who were both smaller and less coordinated than Nanuq. It wouldn't take a lot of effort to shove them out of the way, but even that was more energy than he wanted to waste. It didn't matter that he was hungry, or, from his dramatic viewpoint, wasting away to nothing. Nanuq had no interest in fighting for resources when they were freely given before. As a result, he simply did not feed when they were awake and in the way.

He flattened himself pathetically on the den floor and turned his blurry eyes up to his dad and their unknown visitor with a soft, bamboozled whine.

0 / 3 THREADS · PLAYER INFORMATION
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She’d just swallowed the last in a small heap of mushrooms when Kallik appeared in the den’s doorway, accompanied by the scent of fresh kills. Towhee recoiled, feeling like an intruder in their sacred space as the pale guardian greeted his wife and sons.

Trying not to look at them, her orange eyes fell on one of the twins as he sagged in defeat on the den floor. I know the feeling, she thought toward him. Towhee began to reach out to him when Kallik stepped into her line of sight, asking after her.

Her throat pinched with emotion and she could only shake her head. She was so grateful toward him and Aquene for sharing their resources and space. But Towhee felt absolutely awful about this entire situation. She had been through much in her five plus years, yet there was a particular cruelty to being unable to nurse her own offspring.

Glancing at Kallik to make sure he didn’t mind, she then proceeded to scoop little Nanuq toward her, hugging him gently against her chest. Circumstances aside, I’m glad I finally got to meet your boys, Towhee said thickly. You two made some cute oopsies.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Nanuq had tried to feed but seemed to give up, flattening to the ground and releasing a put out whine. Kallik looked at him curiously and licked the top of his head a few times to comfort him. 

Towhee only shook her head in answer to his question, something very out of character for her. She always had something to say. He knew this was probably difficult for her, and he felt for her. He didn't express any of this, though, because he was terrible at these kind of things. Aquene was the only one he could be emotional around. 

When she reached to grab Nanuq, Kallik said nothing. He trusted her and didn't mind. He still kept a watchful gaze on his son, though. She stated she was glad she finally got to meet the twins and then made a comment that was more like her. Kallik looked away, to Siku, and kissed his head again. Yeah, they are pretty cute, he agreed with the hint of a smile. 

He nodded to her two children, who were feeding from his wife. Them too, he offered. They weren't his, but he still felt protective of them. They will make fine soldiers, I'm sure.
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She didn’t say anything, though his remark made her tip her head thoughtfully. Would these four grow up to join the ranks here in Mereo? Or would some of them be more suited to Epoch? What if some of them wanted nothing to do with the military-adjacent lifestyle at all?

She had learned to manage her expectations over the years as a mother, though this was Aquene’s and Kallik’s first rodeo. No matter how much any of them hoped for a particular outcome, she knew by now that only the youths thmselves could decide their fates. And she supposed that’s how it should be: they were their lives, to do with what they wished.

It wasn’t her favorite subject, though that train of thought made her think to ask, Will you and Aquene hold leadership ranks in the outpost?

636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He wasn't expecting the question about epoch, though he he shouldn't have been surprised. This was a big move for everyone. He and Aquene had a lot of ties here, and it would be difficult to be apart from the wolves they had come to care about. 

Yes, he told her. We will be second to Arsenio and Tamar. It was still a little hard for him to see himself in a leadership role. He thought he still had a lot of work to do, but Arsenio saw something in him, and Kallik wasn't going to argue with him.
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Good, Towhee replied simply. You both deserve it. Not that Aquene isn’t recognized here, she continued, thinking of the healer’s special title, but she deserves to be held in high esteem, and Epoch, at least, could give her that.

Looking down at Nanuq, Towhee was powerless to resist a strong urge to nuzzle the top of his fuzzy white head. It made her ache but it also soothed her at the same time. She placed a lick between his ears.

I have a set of twins too. Trying to tell them apart at this age was a trip, Towhee shared with Kallik, laughing a little despite everything and quipping, Sometimes I thought about biting off one’s ear to make it easier.

34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Nanuq was putty in the paws of anyone who handled him, but especially wolves who reminded him of his father, which Towhee certainly did. Although Kallik was the more muscular of the two, they shared a similar loftiness and Towhee even carried some hint of a musk about her that Aquene, and other women, lacked. For Nanuq, whose senses were limited to taste, touch, smell, and some blurry mockery for sight, it was strong and familiar.

He let himself be rolled into her arms and hardly made a move or a sound until her tongue passed over his head, prompting an indignant squawk from the pup. That was when his pugged nose began to wriggle and he recognized another scent on Towhee, one that clashed oddly with the dad-like musk, but also enticed him.

He was starving, and all the other puppies were way over there with mom. Towhee was the dusty, dingy tavern to Aquene's hopping nightclub. And who doesn't love a good, quiet tavern when the club gets overcrowded? Nanuq began to wriggle in earnest, desperate to break free of her hold and make his way to her blissfully peaceful, empty milk bar.

636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Yes, she does, he agreed. Aquene deserved anything and everything she ever wanted, and he would doing anything in his power to ensure she got that. Something he and Towhee had always agreed on was how important Aquene was. He was thankful she had a friend like the other soldier. 

He watched Nanuq start to squirm and make his way towards Towhee's stomach. No you don't he said, lifting himself up from the ground to gently wrap his jaws around the boy and pull him away. Unless Towhee got to the pup first. Kallik intended on setting him near Aquene to guide him to a proper place to feed. The other pups seemed to be sleeping now, so there were plenty of open spots.
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Little Nanuq roused and made a bid for food. Towhee’s insides clenched. Fortunately, Kallik noticed right away and scooped up his son, relocating him to a more appropriate venue. She was simultaneously glad for his swift action and deeply saddened that Nanuq needed to be snatched away from her like that.

Think I’ll take the opportunity for a bathroom break, Towhee said quietly, shooting Kallik a crooked smile. Might take a while. Don’t wait up. Although it was an attempt at humor, it fell a little flat.

Turning away, she dipped from their den, a flush of something like shame heating the back of her neck and making the fur prickle there.

Last post from me!

636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik had known Towhee long enough to pick up that she was off. He didn't know how it felt to be a mother that couldn't feed her own pups, but he could imagine how it might affect her. And he did feel bad for having to pull Nanuq away from her, but they both knew he couldn't be allowed to feed from her yet. 

He watched her get up and state she needed a bathroom break. She attempted a joke but it lacked her usual energy. Kallik wasn't sure what to say, so he just nodded and watched her leave. Aquene was better with this kind of stuff. 

He would turn to the children then and kiss each son on the head while they slept or ate. Then he would do the same to Aquene before resting his head on his paws while releasing a long sigh.

last from me
Inuttuk
Common
34 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
It seems this quiet tavern had a bouncer, and the bouncer had a problem with Nanuq.

He was lifted away from the scent of milk, which made him squall, and placed back among the other children. Nanuq could have screamed himself hoarse, but luckily, he noticed they were all asleep and the milk bar was his for the taking before his voice crescendoed to an earsplitting volume. He latched on and suckled greedily, heedless to the drop in atmosphere or the departure of Towhee. He hardly even noticed Kallik's kiss; he drank his fill and instantly dozed off.