Hoshor Plains to bring us sugar and tea and rum
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Private 
@Maia and some others had gone to join a great hunt to the north. Frolic decided against joining her mother and the rest of the party, choosing instead to remain with her family—@Callahan and @Glee, specifically—for a few more days. Then, with a final smooch to @Eljay’s cheek, she trailed after the small band of hunters.

She wouldn’t be joining them, though. Frolic might not even see her own mother. And that was alright. She’d said her goodbyes and, anyway, she wasn’t leaving forever. The young traveler did hope to see someone else, though. While she didn’t intend to leave them for good, she didn’t want to disappear from the wilds without first seeing @Seal.

By the time she arrived at the plain, the hunts were well underway. Perhaps they were even finished. Frolic wasn’t sure and she didn’t get close enough to find out the details. She stuck close to the river framing the grassland’s western fringe, discovering a quiet nook by the water where she settled and called her friend’s name.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
304 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
IIiiiii’m just gonna say the hunts are still ongoing.

Seal anxiously waited at the edge of camp and watched a cloud of steam rise from the distant herd. They ran. The hunters chased! Even from here, Seal could hear their bellowing cries. The cold wind carried the scent of fear; the scent of blood.

But was it wolf or bison blood? It was difficult to tell. The healers were ready to admit any injuries into their halls.

But hours passed, and the stress had begun to take a toll on young Seal. She stepped away from the front lines. It was then she heard a familiar voice.

Seal followed the water, upstream from the camp, until she saw Frolic’s familiar goldenrod pelt.

Others from Brechelient had joined the hunt, but Frolic hadn’t been a part of them – not that Seal was surprised. Her friend was an adventurer who couldn’t be roped down.

“Frolic,”
Seal exclaimed, a bit frazzled. She trotted right up to her side. “Did you just arrive?” she asked, though it was clear half of her mind was preoccupied, attention focused on the harrowing hunt.
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
She wasn’t sure Seal was here, though that was fine. If she didn’t come, then Frolic would simply hang a left and head toward Moonspear. But as her eyes scanned the distant throngs, she thought there was a pretty good chance Seal was among them. Knowing her friend, she wouldn’t miss this.

Frolic’s lips curled fondly at the thought, which seemed to summon forth the young woman herself. Her heart leaped in her breast as she saw her friend coming nearer. Frolic bounced to her feet and rushed forward to hug her, kissing her cheek on a total whim. It felt right, while sending little jolts of electricity through Frolic’s bloodstream.

The only thing I’m hunting for is you, she said lightly, falling back a foot to look her friend in the face. I wanted to find you to tell you something. But first, how’s it going here? I wasn’t sure you’d be here. Are you actually getting to hunt? Frolic wondered, her interest genuine.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
304 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
At that moment, Seal wanted to be free-spirited. She really did! But when Frolic greeted her with all the enthusiasm in the world, Seal could only muster a half-hearted hug and a weak laugh. Even when her friend quipped a pun, the young woman’s face didn’t have the energy to light up as it always had.

Aware of this, a pang of guilt tugged at Seal’s heart. “Gosh, I’m sorry Frolic,” she admitted with a burnt-out expression. “I dinnae feel like myself right now.” A heavy responsibility made her shoulders sag, all energy consumed by complete concentration.

“I’m working with Kukutux an’ Sialuk in the healer’s camp,” she explained. Her inflection intoned the gravity of this privilege. “We’re waiting for any injured hunters tae arrive, though I hope there aren’t any. There’s a lot of blood on the air…”

Seal chewed her lip, just like Meerkat. “I just had my coming-of-age ceremony. I want tae do really well…” Seal hadn’t realized just how the pressure had toyed with her emotions until she had trouble saying the words aloud!

Then she waved a paw, trying to recollect herself. “Sorry,” she apologized again. “I’m happy you’re here. Really! What did you want tae tell me?”
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Seal’s laugh rang hollow in Frolic’s ear. Her brow furrowed as she regarded her friend’s familiar, pretty face. Seal didn’t leave her hanging, quickly explaining her lackluster mood. It sounded like she was under a lot of pressure. Frolic felt a strong urge to comfort and reassure her friend, even when Seal waved off her concerns.

Hey, she said simply, waiting for Seal to go quiet and still. Their eyes caught and Frolic smiled as she continued, I’m sure you’re doing just fine, probably even better than that. She reached a dark paw and grabbed one of Seal’s. My papa just taught me some breathing exercises, in case I get myself in any crazy situations… She laughed, winked and squeezed her friend’s paw.

And then nothing else was said, as Frolic guided Seal through several deep inhales through their noses and exhales through their mouths. Frolic’s eyes lingered on Seal’s face during the exercises, looking for the lines to smooth and the shadows to lift, and fought an urge to reach out and cup those fine cheekbones with her free hand.

Instead, she brought it to the other one to clasp Seal’s paw between both of hers, giving it a little squeeze as she queried, Feel any better?
Brecheliant
Family
304 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Hey. Seal’s brown eyes caught Frolic’s understanding expression and her gaze lifted. Her lips bowed into a frail, wobbly smile. Something about Frolic completely disarmed Seal and she suddenly felt the urge to cry!

The young medic sucked in a shuddering breath as her friend reassured her. Then, when Frolic explained her breathing exercises, Seal could not utter a word (out of fear of letting the tears flow) but she gave a few emphatic nods of her head. With her pale hand wrapped around Frolic’s socked paw, she mimicked Frolic and followed her lead.

In through the nose, three seconds.

Out throw the mouth.

A few repetitions later, Seal felt a little more calm. A little more in control. She hadn’t realized the enormous pressure she’d put on herself to do well.

“Yeah,” Seal breathed, a grateful expression on her face. She squeezed her friend’s paw. “Thanks Frolic, I needed that.”
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Good, Frolic replied, making no attempt whatsoever to withdraw her paws as she took another deep breath, because I have news. I’m going traveling. I don’t know exactly where I’m going but I didn’t want to take off without telling you. I plan to come back someday, of course! This isn’t goodbye.

She just hoped Seal took this news well, for her sake more than Frolic’s. As her eyes tracked over her friend’s face, she thought she saw the glisten of tears. Her heart fell a little as she gave Seal’s paw another squeeze. Nothing would change Frolic’s plans, though knowing her best friend wished her well and eagerly awaited her return would mean the world to her.
Brecheliant
Family
304 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
When Frolic didn’t let go of Seal’s paw Seal knew her friend was ready to say something big.

Frolic was leaving Brecheliant to travel far and wide! Of course, this made perfect sense. At first, a great feeling of happiness and pride grew in Seal’s heart. “Oh Frolic, that sounds like a wonderful adventure. You’ve always been a canny traveler. An adventurous lass!” Seal brought her friend close for a hug.

But then… the reality quickly set in. Seal realized Frolic would no longer be next door. Orca had left. Ajei was growing up. They were all following their paths. Soon, even Seal would find herself in a new home as she lived in a different village. It felt like her security blanket had been ripped off.

The young woman felt herself become emotional and when she pulled away, small tears were running down her cheeks. “I’m so h-happy for you, F-frolic,” she cried. Seal swallowed and then stiffened her lip. She looked down at Frolic’s paws, where the black of her fur was interrupted by so many scars. Would she take care of herself? Would she be safe?

But, Frolic made a promise to return. It wasn’t goodbye. Seal needed to trust her friend. She gathered her nerves and squeezed her friend’s paw. “You will be amazing. I’m verrae proud of you, my friendmine!”
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Frolic couldn’t have hoped for a better reaction. She quickly released the lip she’d unconsciously bitten, beaming hugely as Seal pulled her into a hug. Their clasped paws broke free as she brought her forelegs around the other girl’s shoulders, squeezing her with all her might and rocking back and forth a little.

When they pulled apart and Frolic spotted tears in Seal’s eyes, she understood her friend wasn’t upset. Although she didn’t cry herself, there was a wobbliness to Frolic’s smile as she reached out and set a paw on her dearest friend’s shoulder.

I’m proud of you too, friendmine, she said, glowing with sincerity. I love you, you know, and I’m going to miss you. But I promise I’ll come back and find you.
Brecheliant
Family
304 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Frolic’s stronger constitution kept Seal from becoming a puddly mess.

Her friend believed in her! She was proud! A brisk nod telegraphed Seal’s appreciation. With Frolic’s encouragement, she would better believe in her ability.

“I love you too, Frolic,” she replied, smiling as a few more tears were squeezed from the corners of her eyes.

Then, a promise. “You better!” she wheezed. “Or I’ll have tae come looking for you!”

Eventually, the two parted. “Be safe!” Seal hollered after Frolic as her buckskin-furred friend became smaller and smaller. Seal put a paw to her chest, felt a new hole in her heart, and knew that piece of it had gone as well.