Mudminnow River [BWP2] Wrap me up for am I small
staying kinda vague abt the @Atwood thing but assuming he came w zeph to scc

Lainie's disappearance is an unexpected blow. He isn't close to his other siblings, not like he is to Helios, but Zephyr nonetheless tries to keep a constant general awareness of where they are, if only to soothe his perpetual anxiety. So of course he notices his sister missing — and of course he has to do something about it. Even if it means leaving his new friend behind for a bit.
It doesn't occur to him that perhaps finding her is a task best left to his parents until he's well past Swiftcurrent Creek's borders. Too far to turn back, he decides, overwhelmed by a sense of urgency as he follows the faded scent trail he'd managed to find. It's easy to ignore the earth's occasional rumbling; such experiences have already become routine for him, though he finds it odd that others seem to register it now, too. He still isn't used to that part of it.
The trail leads him to a steep drop, and at first he pauses in confusion, unable to comprehend the implications. It dawns on him quickly, though, as he peers down past the crumbled earth toward the river below. He doesn't see her then, but his blood runs cold, and immediately he knows he has to find a way down. He starts forward before he can think about it, one step too far to turn back by the time he realizes his error. He lurches, dirt crumbling further beneath his paws, and tumbles unknowingly down the same path his sister had taken. Zephyr is far luckier in his descent, though. He skids more than he falls, paws and forelegs raw and bloody by the time he hits the water flailing. Muddy water fills his nose, and he rises coughing and snorting violently, fighting to keep above the surface for several terrifying moments. It seems to be working — until he realizes the river is carrying him toward a rock. A rock with an oddly familiar black lump resting against it.
Lainie! He manages between coughs, limbs moving with more desperation and far less coordination as he tries to propel himself toward the rock more quickly. He's only partially successful, reaching the rock perhaps a touch more quickly than he might have otherwise. Unfortunately, he doesn't anticipate any success, and his paw smacks into the side of the rock when he fails to recognize its proximity. He yelps at the sharp pain, forcing himself forward and using his claws to scramble onto the rock's slick surface without giving himself time to think about it. Heart racing, he lunges to catch his sister's scruff between his jaws as soon as he finds balance, hoping against hope that he's strong enough to pull her up despite the pain shooting through his paw.
common || « french »
Messages In This Thread
[BWP2] Wrap me up for am I small - by Lainie - September 16, 2019, 03:46 PM
RE: [BWP2] Wrap me up for am I small - by Zephyr - September 26, 2019, 11:42 AM
RE: [BWP2] Wrap me up for am I small - by Lainie - September 26, 2019, 11:54 AM
RE: [BWP2] Wrap me up for am I small - by RIP Kavik - September 26, 2019, 04:01 PM