Sunspire Mountains all the butterflies have turned to vultures in my stomach
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Actually, it was a bit of both of us. One more than the other -- a ghost of a past conversation lingered by, and this time it was certainly Riley who had failed.

Esme's praise didn't feel much like praise at all. It felt like a criticism, aimed right at his throat. Riley swallowed, feeling his throat was sharp and dry. Already, the she-wolf was leaving -- but it would be a long while yet before she ever left his mind.

It was bitterness, watching Esme go. Riley's mind whirled and clicked through several responses before he selected one; a plaintive, bald admission. "I'm not going to forget you." It was mumbled between his paws, for he was holding his head in defeat.

Several minutes passed. Riley could hear no report of Esme's return. No crash of leaves or twigs underfoot. She was gone. He fought the urge to cry, instead closing his eyes. He was replaying all that had transpired, over and over. Forget about me, I'm not going to forget you, forget about me -- tell Donovan his future bride sends her best regards!

Time would not be kind to him, but it was a long time before Riley stirred once more.
Messages In This Thread
RE: all the butterflies have turned to vultures in my stomach - by Riley - August 22, 2020, 03:47 PM