Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Private 
The marmot’s bones were still there, as were the pieces of Avicus’s fur, carefully gathered by Mountain Boulder and lovingly stashed in the place that had long served as Masque’s retreat. She breathed in the familiar air of Dragon’s Back Ridge with her eyes closed, then moved aside to usher @Riley into the den.

They’ll know we’re here soon enough, she stated the obvious, so I think I should head over there and try to talk to @Redd. She paused, gold eyes fixed on a spot on the wall. I think it would be best if I went alone but I won’t stop you if you want to come with me.

She didn’t say it but Masque wanted to go sooner rather than later. She had spent the long, wearying trek back east preparing herself for this conversation, as well as overthinking their decision in the first place. She had long since passed the point of exhaustion. She just needed to do the damn thing.

Many others have come and gone without being attacked for it, she reminded both herself and her mate, including both Wealdas. Her long tail switched pensively as she made her point. I don’t expect a warm welcome but I don’t want to believe I’ll be in any danger, either.

She exchanged a long look with Riley, then exited the den to begin one of the most fraught walks of her life. Footsore and thin—except in the middle, her pregnancy already obvious—from more than a week’s travel, Masquerade still favored her right hind leg as she trekked westward.

Her heart lodged in her throat as the rise loomed in front of her, half a dozen familiar scents threading gradually into her nose. She meant to call for Redd, though a flood of emotions rendered her momentarily speechless. Masque swayed on her feet, letting them play out for a few beats. The former Caru then steadied herself with a deep breath and called out to the Wealda.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Riley had mixed reservations about visiting the Rise, but in the end he bowed to Masque’s logic, and followed reluctantly behind.

He bore a similar limp. To outsiders, the pair must appear ironically bedraggled. His misgivings did not lessen as they left Masque’s old haunt and drew closer to the Rise. Riley wondered if the curses of both their families was but a wolf’s hungering mouth— the irony being they’d never actually clawed their way out.
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The Wealda was reasonably nearby when the call arose.  It was an unexpected summons and immediately recognizable; Redd had not expected to hear her sibling’s voice again.  She moved immediately and automatically to intercept, duty driving her forward heedless of any reservations.  There was no way to know why they had returned; no more knowledge than had been behind their departure.

Her tail flagged upwards as she approached and she drew towards them with an impassive look, presenting as only Wealda.  There was no familiar warmth, but no aggression either.  She was curious to learn why they were here.

Her eyes traveled between them warily, then came to rest on her sister expectantly.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
When her sister’s familiar figure appeared, Masquerade tensed. Her sharp eyes followed Redd’s movements, noting no signs of aggression. The relief made her shaky, which opened a flood gate to other emotions. The prodigal Redtail found herself longing deeply for not only this red woman but another, their forebear. And everyone else she had ever cared for on the rise.

Redd did not attack, though there was no concern, nor any trace of familiarity. Masque couldn’t help but think of the day when her sister had come home. They were both daughters of Avicus but they were so different in their values. It was a stark reminder of the truth: she didn’t belong here.

It’s good to see you, Masque said, the truth despite everything. She took care to keep her eyes averted, her head and tail low. I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my word, Redd. I tried so hard. I couldn’t stay here in good faith anymore. That doesn’t mean I don’t care about all of you. I think about you guys all the time.

She yearned for reciprocation, though she didn’t expect it. Masquerade let out a breath and paused, letting the Wealda get a word in edgewise. She yearned to look at Riley, to draw strength from his presence beside her, but she kept her eyes fixed on the ground between Redd’s feet.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Riley tensed alongside Masque as a familiar face appeared -- the visage of Masque's sister.

There was no warmth to that gaze - no sweep of concern or familiarity. Riley felt something bitter crack open in him: if it had been him in Redd's shoes and Wyatt or Piper in Masque's, he would have been overjoyed to see them. He would have rushed forward to embrace them and breathe in their pelt, ask them where they had been, if they were okay. Both had left him without a word one day -- and while it had been years, from time to time he wondered if they were even still alive.

His mate spoke, apologizing. He felt a pulse in his temple and a grit in his teeth. Masque's eyes were adverted, but Riley's were on Redd -- studying her with a removed sense of heartsickness. It curdled his blood to see Masque received without any semblance of love -- and in Riley's eyes, Masque deserved love more than any other wolf on the Rise.
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She had wondered if they returned to challenge, to claim this place as their own.  This possibility kept her wary, her stomach tight even as she watched them silently and awaited their words. Masquerade had been Avicus' chosen heir, and despite giving the position over, it was clear her deference had not been true.  Wealda would defend her place, but she had wondered too often these past weeks if Masquerade would not be more fit.  Self-doubt warred with her need to protect stability, and their re-appearance brought all of this back into her immediate thoughts.

She had sought to rely on her sister like no other, but this had been a mistake.  She was glad to see Masquerade well, but she was not glad to see her here.  Not when they so clearly could not co-exist within a pack.  This truth had cut her more deeply than any since Avicus' death, and her presence was a stark reminder of that as well.

She could understand that nature drove Masquerade from her side.  This did nothing to ease the feelings it brought forth.

Why are you here?  She asked, her tone subdued.  She did not need explanations or apologies; Masquerade and Riley's actions were their own, and what was done was done.  If they sought to return, she did not think she could refuse them, though she knew it would likely mean another fracture within them.  Masquerade had left too much of a mark here; Redd had never assumed she could erase that.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She had prepared herself for this, yet the reality still hurt. Masquerade swallowed thickly at Redd’s dispassionate question, her ears pulling backward. She felt a flicker of indignation which she ignored with all her might.

I’m here, Masque began, her deep voice gone thready. She cleared her throat and continued, to check on you because I missed you, Redd. I care about you, she repeated, and I wanted to tell you—and the others—I’m sorry for disappearing without a word.

Her marigold eyes finally cut to her mate. There was a thundercloud on Riley’s brow. Masquerade held his gaze for a moment before it slid away, glancing in the direction of Nova Peak before landing back on that patch of dirt between Redd’s feet.

I also wanted to let you know we’re hoping to settle somewhere east of here to start our family. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to be strangers.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
While he held his tongue, Riley could not hold peace. The Wealda’s question was devoid of all pleasantry, absent of any empathy for the wayward sister who by any other account could be dead. Riley thumbed through the mental Rolodex of reasons they could be so coldly received; both had been good members, Masque standing by her own merit — but Riley had called this place home for months, too. It struck him strange that those long, impossibly cold months hunting side by side as killbrothers could all mean nothing.

Perhaps Redd had learned they’d left freely versus immediately assuming tragedy had befallen the young couple. Up until that moment they had been steadfast pillars of their community; there was little explanation for their departure. Perhaps seeing the two of them alive reinforced that betrayal, and left Redd unreceptive to their visit. Riley couldn’t surmise to know. He didn’t think he cared to know Redd’s side of events, even if she was deserving of the same empathy they were.

His heart burned for his mate, who he knew once again was being slapped in the face with the cold reality that her family never saw the best of her. He wanted to shoulder her gently and tell her it wasn’t worth it — but he recognized that she would make peace with this bitter truth her own way.

When Masque shared a glance his way Riley held her marigold gaze a moment, his own simmering with unpleasantries he dared not utter.  He looked to the Peak, and then back to Redd. It irritated him that Masque had to apologize twice when her assets had never truly been appreciated here. What would they think of Masque’s news? What would they think of traitors setting up shop in their backyard? What if Redd refused, or drove them off? It was not as if they stood on a bounty of goodwill.

He sighed, licked his lips in a gesture of apprehension, but said nothing. There was nothing he could say to patch the broken love between them.
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
As Masquerade explained, Redd finally relaxed, her relief likely visible in her bearing.  They had not returned to lay claim, nor to resume leadership here.  Redd could not express the complicated things she felt, but when she looked at Masquerade again, it was apologetic.  She wished that things were different.  That different choices had been made.

I wasn’t sure.  There was nothing clarified by this, but the words were true, and it was not her way to speak fully.  

For a moment, her gaze dropped.  There was a yearning in her, but she held back, for she did not know this Masquerade who was not of the Rise.  The sister she had thought she knew turned out to be false, and where they stood now she was not sure.  She still did not know if anything was desired of her.  I miss you too.  Only this she knew.

Riley was ignored, silent and intensely staring to the side.  She could feel his eyes, the way it lifted the fur of her neck, but she did not rise to his challenge.  Masquerade was her focus.

She sought more words, but found none.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Something she said thawed her sister’s frosty demesne. Masquerade felt relief so keen, it bordered on elation. She wanted to spring forward and cross the touch barrier, though she restrained herself. Instead, her long tail began to wag hopefully, going still at the Wealda’s first comment and then resuming a gentle sway at her second.

I know. I’m sorry, she said a third time. I really tried to make it work. It just wasn’t meant to be, Masque continued, softening the words by tentatively touching her nose to Redd's chin. I love the rise and the wolves in it but I know now I don’t belong here.

It ached to say it loud. But it was the truth. And she was here to show both Redd and herself that that was okay.

I want to build something of my own, she said, including Riley with a glance as she amended, We want to build something of our own. It would be nice, being back near family.

She glanced at Nova Peak again, then gave her sister an inquisitive look. They’d only just arrived back on the taiga and had no stakes, despite Masquerade’s age-old attachment to Dragon’s Back Ridge. If it was too close for Redd’s liking, they would have to scout further afield.

Perhaps the woods beyond would serve. They weren’t too different from Shadewood. Masque felt a pang as she thought of the faraway forest. She’d become quite fond of it. But if Redd and the others were not opposed, perhaps they wouldn’t have to settle halfway across the world.

Ashlar, too, crossed her mind, buried beneath the mud of the distant slough. She would have to tell the Wealda of the healer’s fate when the time was right.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Like a glacier come to its summer rest, the ice chips in Redd’s expression softened. When Riley noted this, his own posture relented — but he did not yet forgive the Rise for the way they treated Masque.

As his mate edged out a third apology, Riley pondered over what Redd had spoken. She didn’t know. Didn’t know what? He cycled through the various interpretations this could mean; it had never occurred to him that she might believe they’d come here to reclaim the Rise — and perhaps a bit stupidly, it still didn’t.

He wondered how dysfunctional a family needed to be that one born in it did not belong. He and Masque had that in common, both the proverbial black sheep of their bloodline. Both had cast the caul of that blemishmark aside for new beginnings.

His gaze turned back to the Peak, following Masque’s in silence. With the frosty tension between them dissolved a little, Riley hoped Masque might get some closure here — even if it wasn’t the path she’d originally visioned for herself in life.
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
As Masquerade elaborated and reached out, Redd accepted the touch, but her gaze averted for a moment.  The words hid the truth, she felt, meant to perhaps spare her feelings.  Masquerade had always belonged at the Rise; the only change had been its Wealda.  Masquerade felt she did not belong at a Rise led by her.

Guilt was the thing she felt, deeply set still.  If she had been given a choice, she would have chosen herself to depart.  Instead she had only caused consequences for decisions she could not anticipate.

Redd had wondered how long it would take for the others to see what Masque and Riley had seen.  If they settled close, built something of their own, it was likely they would draw some away.  Perhaps their wayward siblings were already there.  Strangely, Redd found peace in this prospect.  She did not wish a reluctant family, but a bond beyond this.  She only wanted honesty.

You deserve it. She answered, touching Masquerade’s shoulder softly before stepping back.  The Rise, and their Wealda, would not stand in their way.  They had no reason to.  She could not apologize for things she did not know, but perhaps this affirmation would be enough.

There was more.  I would have tried.  To fix this.  For a moment she allowed their eyes to meet, her own resigned, yet still tinged with hurt.  You belonged here.  More than she.  She did not finish this, but the words still burned her tongue as she held them.

She would never understand the reason why.  But did not seek to change their minds.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
A breath shuddered out of her throat at Redd’s next statement. Masque realized she was shaking, with some mixture of joy and relief. She hadn’t dared hope for this, yet she was so damn glad, she couldn’t resist the urge to press her snout to the Wealda’s cheek. Soon after, her tongue poked out to plant a sound kiss there.

She stepped back to give Redd the floor again. When her gaze sought Masque’s, the former Caru held it with feeling. It meant a lot that Redd held that belief, though she smiled sadly and shook her head.

No, she refuted gently, I never really fit in here, Redd. I only realized that after I took some time away. Masque pressed her muzzle to Redd’s shoulder. There’s nothing wrong with the rise, or with you. There’s nothing wrong with me either. We’re just different.

That made her think of Ashlar again. He’d been different too. It was entirely possible Redd didn’t much care about his fate, though Masquerade still wanted to relay the loss. He had been an important figure to their mother once, the closest thing she’d ever had to a mate.

It still didn’t feel like the right moment to mention him, so instead Masque said, If you have the time, I would love to hear how you and the rise have been doing these past few months. If you don’t, that’s alright. Riley and I will be at the ridge, should you or anyone else want to come see us.

She wanted to hope they could be allies, sister packs in both name and utility. But Masquerade didn’t dare say that aloud just yet. The Wealda’s take might hold some sway, yet each wolf on the rise was an individual. She couldn’t imagine how any of them might feel about her, though as soon as they were done here, she would open the floor to finding out by howling their location for all to hear.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
skipping with permission!  I’ve got a busy work day today, so won’t skip too many rounds <3

She still did not understand.  She could not understand, and perhaps she never would.  In Redd’s eyes, Masquerade simply belonged.  There were no caveats, no qualifications, and there was nothing that could have changed that.  She was family.  It did not cross her mind that ambition could change this, or that other desires might interfere.

Redd wanted nothing more than to live up to Masquerade’s example.  She did not yet know how.

Still, her words brought a surprising gratitude to her sister.  There’s nothing wrong with the rise, with you.  Redd moved to press her head against her sister’s shoulder, just as she had so many times before.  I think you did.  But I’m glad you’re happy.  She did not argue to invalidate, only to confirm that Masquerade had always belonged in her Rise.  It was important that she know this, even if she had chosen elsewhere.  She had never wished for a Rise without her sister in it, even if there was relief that she was not returning now.  She would not put her own stability above family.

Masquerade wished to know about the Rise.  Redd lifted her head and considered, knowing Wealda would need to answer this at times.  She would go wolf by wolf.  Ulfhedinn, and the hunt wife, are parents.  She is Caru now. She thought Masquerade would understand why, so did not think to put any weight to it.  Caru and Haelend are leadership, if they wish.  And there is a new place, Treow, for those who would help.  Caretakers.  A hunt daughter holds it.  She was proud of this change.  It was the product of time spent thinking and recollections of their own conversations.

Mulherin is Berserker.  He searched for you.  She thought, perhaps, this was important.  Carrion wishes to be Haelend.  Her mind ran over the others, but could think of nothing notable enough to share.  The pack thrived in much of the same way it always had.  Often she had little to do with it.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The last thing she wanted to do right now was argue with her sister, so Masquerade did not refute her again. Instead, she reached out for yet another nuzzle, heart growing lighter with every touch they exchanged. She hadn’t even realized just how heavy it was before.

It didn’t escape her notice that Redd did not answer for herself. Masque considered pressing it, though first she paid attention to everything her sister had to share about the rise’s inhabitants. She felt a sharp pang upon hearing of New Snow’s rank, though it suited. In any event, she forgot about her hurts upon hearing the news of Mulherin, now elevated into leader of the fight.

Good for Mul, she said with quiet emphasis, and the others as well. That’s great about the Haeland and Treow. This actually meant a great deal to her, though perhaps she was flattering herself thinking she’d in any way inspired it. Carrion as a healer, she mused, realizing now was her opening to share, Ashlar would’ve taught her well. We found his remains out west and gave him a proper burial.

She said nothing further, allowing Redd an opportunity to absorb this information. Masquerade wondered if her sister might ask after her. Had she noticed her baby bump? That once again reminded her that Redd hadn’t shared any personal updates. Masque bit at her lip, nervous about pressing the Wealda too much, at least today.

I hope I can catch up with the others soon, she hoped aloud. I will call to them, let them know where to find me. Masque thought of Mul, out looking for her, and smiled almost sadly, head lowering. I’m sorry for any grief I caused anyone. I hope to make amends. I don’t want to be strangers, Masquerade repeated softly.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
301 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Masquerade’s news was met with surprise, but Redd did not grieve the healer in the same way she did her mother.  He had never been as much a fixture in her life, though the comparisons she had drawn to Gavrel were accurate.  Ashlar had been loyal to Wealda entirely, and family while he was here.  He would be remembered.  She dipped her head a moment, acknowledging.

Even with the thoughts to tie to her new mateship, it did not occur to Redd that they would wish for news of her.  Nor was it in her nature to probe with questions.  She had never been verbose, never one for small talk or extended conversation, and this one shared update was likely some of the most she’d spoken at all.

Masquerade apologized again and this time Redd felt amusement in response.  This one did not feel aimed at her, and doubtless the former Caru would have opportunity to give it to those who it was meant for instead.  Tell them.  There was a hint of a smile, but she knew it would be their choice.  In her view, this was finally settled.  They would not move forward as pack sisters, but not as rivals either.  Something new.  More distant, but enough.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
That tentative smile gave her hope. Masque desperately wanted to ask her sister more about herself, though she decided to leave it for another day… because hopefully that day would come, when they could catch up more. They would not be strangers.

For now, she slipped the Wealda a final nuzzle, then retreated a few steps. She gave Riley a look, smiling softly at his silent support. She then began moving slowly back in the direction of the ridge.

But she didn’t go very far before she stopped and called out to everyone on the rise, crooning a note of apology and affection. She took a few more steps, then welcomed anyone listening to come find her if they wished. If they didn’t, perhaps her call could serve as closure.