Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Limit Two 
Masquerade was in much better spirits following @Avicus’s return to the rise. They were loath to leave her side, though they supposed it would be proper to fetch her some more meat.

Nudging @Mulherin to come along with them, they bounded north. They didn’t find any promising leads in the grotto, so they steered west and began exploring around the western face of Nova Peak.

Look at that, they pointed out as they wended along, their ruddy muzzle indicating the silhouette of a spiny outcropping. This place already has a name but I secretly think of it as Dragon’s Back Ridge, they shared with a smile, marigold gaze panning over the rest of the mountain.

That gave them an idea, which they voiced a few minutes later: Picture this, Mul. I mentor you until you’re ready to lead, then you disperse from Redtail Rise to lead your own pack here on the ridge. You remain allied with the rise. They paused for a long moment before adding, I could come with you, serve as your second.

It was a passing fancy, perhaps, but the Caru couldn’t help but pause and look at his face, wondering what the Toweard thought.

So, I had this idea and I couldn’t help myself. Let me know if you mind the assumptions and/or don’t have time for this thread.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
The boy walked in step with the Caru. Normally he would be much more lively when going on excursions away from the Rise, however Avicus's return had drained most of his energy. 

His gaze remained listlessly focused straight ahead.

Why'd yah name ih hhat? Whah'h ihh normal name? He asked curiously, wondering how they came up with it. Though, it wasn't too hard to see why they'd made the choice.

As for Masque's later idea, he took a moment to think it over.

I wondehh whah mom wouhh hhink, He responded finally. Now that she was back, the politics of the Rise may shift again. It was unpredictable what their future would look like. 

Still, he thought the idea to be intriguing. He nodded along.

Hey, I wouhhn'h leave yah. Pluhh, we'dh be eqhual. You noh hhecond. 
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He wanted to know the landmark’s actual name. Masquerade’s lips parted to answer, only to press together again when they realized they’d forgotten. They hummed ponderously for a moment, then shook their head.

Something with ‘peak’ in it. I’m sure it’ll come to me, they rumbled.

“I wonder what mom would think,” Mulherin worried aloud about their proposal, prompting two strong emotions within the Caru.

Firstly, they were overjoyed that Avicus was around to have an opinion on such matters. They were certain the Wealda would be proud should one of her offspring disperse under such circumstances.

There was some small part of them that felt like Masque’s opinion should count for more in this. They had raised Mulherin. But as before, they despised themself for even thinking such a thing and quickly quashed the thought.

I think mother would be proud that her legacy was spreading to claim more of the wilds, Masque said with quiet vehemence, then added a bit more softly, I would be happiest in a supporting role. I was hoping one day I could be Redd’s second. But she’s gone. You’re here. And, Mul…

They’d been walking all the while, though they paused now and swiveled to face their brother properly. Masquerade looked into his eyes, their long tail swinging. They slowly grinned at him.

You’re my favorite, they told him, pushing their muzzle against his and nipping at his whiskers before moving away to resume walking, throwing a light, Don’t tell anyone I said that, over their gray shoulder.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Little did they know, Shadow and Thorn Caller were being followed! Saturday’s Sunset stalked after them among the taiga’s conifers. She was growing older, skilled, and more dexterous… to the juvenile, an adventure outside of the pack lands was a thrilling journey. A proper way to hone her abilities.

Unaware she was interrupting any kind of machinations, Saturday’s Sunset sprung from her hiding place. She imagined she was hunting caribou like the adults and quickly covered ground.

Shadow was her target du jour. Only at the very last second did her stride break. Saturday’s Sunset pulled back and reared, hoping to both surprise and impress her cohorts with her l33t sKi11z.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He dwelled on Masque's revelation. While he had never been close with his older siblings, albeit Masque themself, the longevity of their idea astounded him a bit—it was Redd's place he would take. He always knew them to be the serious kind when it came to important things; this idea had been brewing for awhile now. Despite this, he remained unphased. It would be a lot of time before then.

You neveh know who'll come back thehhe dayhh, y'know.. He pointed out hesitantly; blindsided still by their mother's reappearance. 

Again, the Caru rejected the thought of leadership. What surprised him was their revelation that he was their favorite.

Gee, thankhh, He responded with a laugh, flattered as he embraced their gesture. The Caru was undoubtedly his closest friend and sibling, however his freshly boosted ego shaped the way he expressed it. You're noh hho bad after all.

They swung around and he seized the opportunity to nip at their tail. Try and hhtop me! I get braggin' righthh. 

Their conversation had distracted him from noticing they had a pursuer. Saturday's Sunset had done quite the job of concealing herself. She prowled, and it was him that was her mark.

At the last moment he hears her, Sunset, as she nearly pounces on him. Turning, he hops back in surprise at the sight of his denmate. Lookh whah we have here! he yaps.

Growling a playful note, he then drops into a play bow. Show me what you got!
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The Caru was so caught off guard, they bared their fangs and snarled when something pale flashed out of some nearby brush. Masquerade leaped forward, keen to put themself in between their brother and this threat. But before they reached him, they realized it was only Sunset and they calmed considerably.

They stepped back as the two pups engaged one another, hackles still prickling and heart thudding hard from being ambushed. Masquerade was as stunned as they were impressed that the young Toweard had managed such a feat. Perhaps they had a protege on their paws when it came to moving about undetected.

Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Taken by surprise, the Caru was quick to establish boundaries with the impish Saturday’s Sunset. The girl ducked out of the way, just in case there were any teeth accompanying the snarky growl, and performed a quick roll on the ground to expose her belly.

Hehe, sorry! The spirit laughed. Yet, by her open, smiling mouth it was evident the young girl was smitten her silent attack had worked.

Quickly, she stood up and shook her pelt to rid herself of any grass or tension. Then, Shadow engaged her in a playbow.

Always ready for a good tussle with her denmate, the Toweard became stiff-legged and tall. She inched towards him with a mischievous glint in her eyes… any sudden movements would be like pulling a pin from a grenade. A good, chaotic game would commence!

Oh yeah… were Bloodspot and Shadow actually doing something important?
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
Masquerade’s reflexes were startlingly fast. Their tension seemed to dissipate upon realizing there was no threat.

He growls again at Sunset, his body remaining still; albeit a furiously wagging tail as he watches her slink forward. Make the first move.

Their game seems to wholly distract him from Masque’s and his previous discussion and objective.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
They continued to watch Sunset speculatively, still processing the fact of the ambush as the two youngsters squared up for a playful spar. The Caru took a few steps backward to give them more space, drawing in a breath before dropping to their haunches to watch.

They hadn’t found anything to track, much less hunt, so it could wait. In the meantime, Masquerade would not miss an opportunity to assess the young wolves in their charge. Sure, it was a fun past time for them, a good way to work out youthful energy, but it was also a way to sharpen important life skills.

And though this scenario was hardly new, their mind must still be tuned to the future. For the very first time, Masquerade wondered if these two might make a strong pairing someday. Perhaps the Caru was looking at the future leadership of the rise… or, even better, the Alpha pair of Dragon’s Back Ridge?

You two are more than welcome to skip Masque and me for a few rounds while they tussle. :)

Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
The future was but a twinkle in her spirit’s eye.

But, the spirit knew that it would be grand – for she chose no better vessel.

Saturday’s Sunset heart thrummed to the beat of their war game, her burgeoning body pliable and strong like a sapling. Shadow became rigid... and the girl’s mouth closed, the corner of her lips curled in a mischievous smile as she delivered a generous serving of bombastic side-eye.

For a moment in time, they are both petrified. And then, Saturday’s Sunset pulls the trigger. She quickly skipped towards Shadow, body loose, and reared up to try and grapple him with her forepaws and mouth.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
To this, the boy also rears up in a similar way. They collide in a lighthearted mess of flying claws and teeth, then come apart—the boy scampers away, freezes, then breaks out into a fervent case of the zoomies.

He dashes a lap around Masquerade, attempting to use them as an obstacle for Sunset.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Briefly, they tussled until a game of chase began!

Shadow’s tail became shaped like a sickle as he raced around faster than a speeding bullet. Saturday’s Sunset locked on and began to pursue him as if he were an agile deer! She practiced her hunter skills - dodging, dipping, ducking, diving, and dodging.

His erratic twists and turns make the game fun! She careened after him and nearly dove right through Bloodspot’s legs. Thankfully, she remembered how she was told off just minutes ago and pivoted around her Caru.

Her tongue flails like a pink ribbon from her open, happy jaws. She managed to cut off Shadow with an abrupt playbow. Then, she spun in a circle with a yip-yip and took off in a different direction.

Chase me now! her spirit called.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
The girl is quick on his heels. They race and chase—nothing but two blurs. There was no doubt she would make for a prime hunter.

She cuts him off then, it takes all his effort to come to a harsh stop. 

But now, the tables turn. She pivots and speeds away, leaving him, the new chaser, in the dust.

Without wasting another moment he pursues with a bark, though lagging behind; no match for Sunset’s speed.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
To be chased is exhilarating! The spirit announces.

Her heart beat so fast, Saturday’s Sunset was sure it would burst right out of her chest! Each pawstrike sent a bolt of power through her like the piston of an engine. She could feel the earth beneath her paws… The strong flexion of her spine. The wind in her hair - yes, her spirit radiated as it had promised at birth!

An amber eye peeped over her shoulder to see Shadow in pursuit.

The girl boomeranged around a tree. To keep the game interesting, Saturday Sunset handicapped herself and slowed her pace. She turns upon her denmate and rolls to the ground, shoulder first, inviting Shadow to pounce upon her and act as Wealda.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
At least he had stamina.

His heart thunders from exertion, he uses all his effort to quicken his pace. A tree blurs past them.

Then, an opportunity; Sunset rolls to the ground, and pounce, he does.

He topples on top of her with his full weight—worn from the chase. Swiftly he grabs ahold of a pale ear and begins to tug. A deep, amused growl rumbles in his throat.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Oof! When had Shadow become so heavy? the spirit wondered.

Saturday’s Sunset tail tucked against her belly as she squirmd beneath him, playing the role of omega. She took her theatrics very seriously and even went so far as to pull her lips back in a submissive grin. She whistle-whined a hree, hree, hree, as Shadow tugged her ear.

Then, her spindly legs pushed up against him like beams supporting a roof. Saturday’s Sunset attempted to slip out from beneath him and role-reverse to pin Shadow beneath her.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
Soon, her paws slam into him and she tries to turn the tables. He resists this and fights back for a moment before giving in to her—the ear, now thoroughly slobber coated, finally released. 

He rolls to the ground as she takes the chance to push him into it. Though he'd let her go, he hadn't given in just yet. With his spine to the floor he thrashes wildly, squirming around like a dying insect.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Saturday’s Sunset straddled over her larger denmate as he writhed on the ground like an upturned beetle and tail curled over her back, practicing a dominant posture.

Then, the girl put her body weight down onto Shadow, trying to contain his wild movements! She opened her mouth and began jaw spar, biting softly at his face. She growled and made wild animal noises - aoo ggrrr rooor grr oooorrro!
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Despite giving the pups space, Mulherin insisted on involving them by running laps around Masquerade. They laughed, the sound cutting off when Sunset nearly ran directly into them. The Caru braced for impact, though the girl deftly dodged and the chase continued.

Next, they used a tree as an obstacle, which suited the Caru a bit better. They trailed after the two, observing as Sunset submitted to Mulherin. Then she flipped the script—and their mismatched bodies—and put on a dominant display. The boy went with the flow, the two of them clearly enjoying themselves.

Masquerade let them play a little longer. Perhaps they would establish a true pecking order between the two of them, though these things were always in flux, particularly at that age. Perhaps Mulherin would be dominant today and Sunset would be his superior tomorrow. And then, one day, maybe they would find themselves equals…

The Caru shook their head and eventually called out, Okay, you two, how about we use what’s left of your energy to do some tracking? I want to see more of your ninja skills, Sunset. And, Mul, I remembered: it’s called Nova Peak!

With a wolfish grin, Masque pivoted on a heel and loped away, the upward hook of their tail meant to invite the children along in their wake.

Since I know @Moon Runner’s headed out of game, I figured I’d jump back in here and help fade this? :)