Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
She’d truly loved Shadewood and sorely missed it, though Masque consoled herself with the thought that it could be their “hunty-moon” destination in future. In the meantime, there was something deeply comforting in the familiarity of Nova Peak and the surrounding territories, of course including the rise.

I’ve always called it Dragon’s Back Ridge but that’s a bit of a mouthful, she commented to @Riley as she fished some debris out of her old dugout. I was thinking we could call it Dragonspine instead.

Her long tail flicked as she finished what she was doing then paused to look up at her mate, gaze warm as it rested on his dark and handsome features. Masquerade felt a rush of affection and moved closer to him, butting her head under his chin in their usual exchange.

And on the topic of names, I had some ideas for these guys, she said, nosing toward her slight baby bump. What if we gave them all R-names, to match yours?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Masque found comfort in the familiarity of their reclaimed past; all Riley felt was an edging sense of claustrophobia. He missed Shadewood and its relative peace — here the foothills were laced with activity of other wolves, and he was reminded constantly of the reasons they’d left.

He kept these things to himself. It did no good to espouse negativity, and besides, given both their conditions it was safest for all of the lives in Masque’s belly to be on familiar footing.

Pulled from his thoughts by her trademark touch, Riley swept his gaze over Masque. It hurt him to see the thinning of her condition, and the swelling of her belly — both stark reminders of the influence he had on her body, for poor and for good. He couldn’t sustain them both in the Shadewood, and it came with a sense of bitterness.

Dragonspine. A new, fierce name for their hopefully new, fierce beginnings. They would carve a life for themselves here in the tall foothills, eek an existence out along the bony ridges of an ancient geological formation. Dragonspine. I like it. He announced, brushing his muzzle to her temple. But what about you, why not name them for you? After all, you carry them.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He said he liked the name. Masquerade smiled, the twitch of her tail seeming to convey, Well, that’s that. But then she gave Riley’s face a considering look. Her mate always had her back, she knew, but she wanted to remind him that he didn’t always have to agree with her.

You’re sure? About Dragonspine? I don’t just mean the name but the location too. It’s close to the rise, which she liked but Riley had the power to veto. We could scout for a different territory a little further away, she posited, trying to keep any hesitation or reluctance out of her tone. I don’t want to steamroll you, she murmured as she pressed her muzzle against his.

Then there was the pups’ names, which she would address in a moment. For now, she slipped back a few inches to catch Riley’s eye, trying to read his expression as she gave him the floor.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Riley was not very imaginative. As a result he was happy to take the back seat; there were worlds in Masque that Riley could not even begin to conceive, were it not for the fact she allowed him the chance to see them.

Dragonspine sounded powerful. While he missed the Shadewood, it was too far from their network; if the worst happened, they were too isolated for help.

As she buffeted him gently with a muzzle Riley returned the gesture. It’s close to the Rise, he agreed: but that just means playmates for the puppies when they’re old enough. Beats playing with sticks back in the Shadewood. You’re not steamrolling me. You don’t want me making decisions for the both of us anyway.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her lips pressed together at his response, her mind flitting back over the past few weeks spent in Shadewood. Just about a month ago, she’d said, “None of this has been easy but I know it’s worth it. I regret nothing.” And yet, here they were, back where they had begun. She was glad Riley had supported her decision to return as he often—maybe even always—seconded her, though it did make her wonder.

I know I’ve been all over the place these past few weeks, she said, then paused to think that over before amending, These past few months, honestly. Maybe even my whole life. Masquerade paused again. You’ve been my rock, though, and I can’t tell you how much you mean to me. How much it means to have someone so unshakably in my corner. You know I’m in yours too, right?

She gave him a long look, followed by a kiss right to the tip of his nose. One day, perhaps, they wouldn’t see eye to eye on something. But if today was not that day, then she wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I like R-names because of the alliteration, she said after a moment, revisiting the original, lighter topic. Riley Redtail sounds so much smoother than Masquerade Redtail. Her lips pursed again as she made a thoughtful hmmm noise before quipping, Maybe I should shorten it to Rade Redtail. Then we could all match!

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
431 Posts
Ooc —
Riley hadn’t been prepared for the heartwrenchingly sincere thing Masque said next. A genuine smile briefly lit his dark features as he reached for her back, chasing her affectionate kiss with another. You’re my rock too. And I don’t think you’ve been all over the place. This is hard. We find what works for us and leave the rest. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be growing. That was his two cents, anyway.

He took a moment to think about her quip; again was that vivid imagination, that glimpse into the scintillating world of Masque’s mind. It would have never occurred to Riley to continue a theme — or to even observe there was a theme with the letter R. He was simply not equipped that way to notice. That’s — He laughed, though it was light and short — something I’ve never considered. So… Riley, Rade — ooh, you could be Raider on account of your mask.. He paused. I don’t know a lot of creative R letter names.
Pledged
Dragonspine
875 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Raider! she exclaimed in amusement, unable to resist the urge to try out, Riley and Raider Redtail. Oh, I like that. She ducked her head and laughed. I always thought Masque was a little too on the nose anyway, and wrinkled hers with a snort.

Her eyes twinkled as she considered another word he’d said: “creative.” Masque Raider knew she could come up with many, though now she had another theme along with alliteration.

Well, if you’re riling and I’m raiding, our kids have to be similarly deviant, she quipped. Which is funny, because one of the names I kind of like is Rumpus. That totally fits!

Her eyes danced, entertained and excited in equal measure. She raised a paw to playfully push against Riley’s shoulder, immensely curious what he thought. That one in particular was sort of silly, though others already popped into her head, crowding one another.

Ruckus, sounded a bit like Rumpus. Ruffian. Racket. Oooh, Rampage