Stone Circle can we keep her?
304 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Please allow @Poppy to post first!
He'd been gone for only three weeks, but he felt his standing in the pack was shaky enough that he might not be welcome any longer. Perhaps they'd found someone to replace him? It would hurt the male, but he'd survive it.

"Let's see if we can get you in," he said to his companion, tipping back his head and howling for @Valette. Even if he'd been assured of his own welcome, he wanted to make sure Poppy was allowed in as well. "If she won't take you, we'll see about where else you might go. You won't be left in the lurch."
[Image: AIUhSFO.png?2]
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
As the pair approached the border, the collie began to tremble in the slightest; though whether out of nervousness or excitement was not exactly apparent. She didn't quite trust herself to speak when Murdock spoke, howling for what she assumed with the leader - the alpha - of his pack. Plopping onto her hindquarters, she stiffened her spine and tried to suppress her slight trembles and wagging tail. Glancing every so often to Murdock for assurance. Licking her lips, she hoped dearly that she looked as a good member of a pack might, able to hunt and help and do whatever else it was, exactly, that pack wolves did.
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
It had been weeks since she saw Murdock. Important changes were taking place in her life, and she was a bit upset that Murdock wasn't there. But, when his call sounded, those feelings instantly changed to glee. She abandoned what she was doing and raced towards the borders. It didn't matter that he hadn't called her; she was coming anyways.

By the time he came into view, she was out of breath but not slowing down. Her face showed pure happiness as she bounded towards him. When she finally reached him, she attempted to cover him in licks, whines of delight coming from her. She was so ecstatic to meet him that she unintentionally ignored the female by his side.
The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone ~Geothe
Sunny is allowed in all threads, open or private, created by Steph
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was relieved to hear that Murdock was back. She could tell that Steph had been getting anxious to see him again. She could only keep her busy for so long. Valette noticed that the howl was for her though, hence why she was making it towards the borders. She wondered why Murdock was even howling to get in, he knew he was welcomed back, right?

The mother wasn't surprised to see her daughter already with Murdock. But it seemed he wasn't alone. Valette's eyes fell on the ... what was it? She frowned. It didn't look like a wolf but familiar. And so tiny compared to them as well. "Murdock? Who did you bring?," she frowned and stepped closer, curiously sniffing her.
304 Posts
Ooc —
To be perfectly honest, Murdock forgot all about Poppy as soon as Steph appeared. She'd grown quite a bit, considering the relatively short amount of time he'd been gone, and the male was sorry to have missed it.

"Stephie," said Murdock, catching the girl up in an embrace and basking in the young girl's unfettered affection. He'd missed her greatly and was looking forward to resuming his self-appointed duties as pseudo-grandfather. "How ya doin' girl? You got so big!" the male praised, giving her a lick on the nose and pushing her away so he could survey this growth more carefully. "Look at you! Are you bigger than me, yet?"

But then Valette appeared, and he remember his new companion. "Oh - this is Puppy. She's a dog. I was hoping she could winter with us? She can hunt small game and watch the borders, but between you and me," said the male, lowering his voice to a stage whisper, "I don't think she'll make it through winter alone, and I couldn't hardly leave her in the cold. Can she stay? I'll take good care of her. She don't need to eat as much as a wolf, but I'll hunt extra for her."

He made his best puppy-dog eyes at Valette, silently begging her not to turn the poor girl away. He was lonely, damn it!
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
She blinked, leaning backwards a bit as a small black blur, about her own size, rocketed towards Murdock. The male met the blur gleefully, leaving her own proud "wolf" stance to deflate a bit as she surveyed the encounter with wariness turned interested as she realized the blur had a name and was, in fact, a pup. Her attention turned quickly, however, to the next wolf to approach; and by her gender and stance, this must be Murdock's alpha. Immediately the rigid stance returned, awe at this newcomer obvious in the girl's gaze. She was silent as Murdock explained her to the woman - Valette - pipping up only after he'd finished. "I can hunt squirrels and gophers and rabbits real well, ma'am. And it's true, I don't need much food." Unsure of what qualities would raise her worth, she added, after a moment, "and I'm very fast." She was agile and quick, part of what made her such a good herder. She neglected to add the later, having noted that there seemed to be little needing herding out here.
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She was wrapped in his embrace, perfectly happy to be so. Her tail was moving so fast back and forth that it was more like a blur. You were gone long enough for me to grow! she accused, though she smiled. To be honest, she had been upset that he was gone so long. But, with him here now, that was gone, to be replaced by pure happiness that he was back. Almost! she replied. In reality, she wasn't as near as big as him, and may not ever be. 

She turned to see her mother approaching. Mom! Moo is back! she exclaimed, as if Valette couldn't already see that. But, her mother's attention seemed to be elsewhere. That was when Steph finally noticed the girl by Murdock's side. Steph was about to do her usual friendly greeting, but Murdock began talking. He seemed overly excited about having the girl here, and Steph was immediately put off by it. She had waited nearly a month to see Murdock, and so much had happened to her while he was gone. She had missed his attention, his affection, and now he was going to be picking up the slack for a dog. 

Steph eyed her. What was a "dog" anyways? She was tinier than most wolves Steph had met. She looked thin and gangly, and apparently Moo didn't think she could hunt enough for herself. All Steph could hear was how his time would be spent making up for what this... this creature couldn't do for herself. 

Her friendly greeting never came, and inwardly, she hoped Valette would turn the female away.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette smiled at her daughter when she saw how happy she was with Murdock's return. "I see that dear," she hummed. The mother liked to see her daughter happy. Valette wasn't sure what to think of the dog though. She only knew it was a weird type of wolf. One that didn't belong in the woods. What was this one doing here? The female dog spoke for herself. She could catch small game she said. Valette was skeptical. Compared to the dog she was large in size. "Can you? Even with a thick layer of snow?," she questioned.

She then looked at Murdock and then at the small sized dog. "She will catch her own food," Valette pointed out. The dog would have to prove herself first before being allowed to eat their food. Valette wondered why Murdock even wanted to shelter her. "She can stay for now... But don't get attached," she warned Murdock, there was another layer of warning in there. She didn't want any wolf crossbreeds born this spring. She hoped Murdock would get the warning without Valette having to explain herself about where babies come from to Steph. "I will leave it up to you to tell the others of the pack she is not food." .. for now at least, Valette thought.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock nodded, although he secretly planned to give the girl portions of his own kills. If wolves were bad off all alone, how was a dog supposed to survive on its own? The male thought this was needlessly harsh of Valette, and wondered if the woman had some reason think badly of dogs. Had she had many interactions with them?

His eyes narrowed at the perceived threat against his new bedmate. "I won't be letting anyone hurt her - don't worry about that," said Murdock, hoping it wouldn't come to defending Poppy against Valette's attacks, but at this point, rather expecting it. Perhaps this wasn't as safe a haven for the girl as he'd thought. Would they need to leave? It was a sad thought, and the male turned his face from his leader, feeling unaccountably betrayed by the woman even though she'd made no secret of her lukewarm feelings toward him.

"Do you want to help me show Puppy around?" he asked Steph.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
The woman seemed to doubt her words, and Poppy's ears fluttered downward a little anxiously. "yes, miss I-" But she trailed off, for already Valette was listing the terms of her stay to Murdock. She'd have to catch all her own food, something she didn't mind all that much; she'd done that so far. But she couldn't help but feel but the woman didn't like her much, especially as the leader continued. Don't get attached - what did that mean? And the latter had her eyes round with fear and worry, her stomach drop like a stone. not food? Did wolves truly eat dogs? Her mother had said the wretched creatures ate anything that moved, but she hadn't really believed it. 

She was shocked into silence, able only to blink at the woman while her perfect fantasy of her life here cracked. Even the pup eyed her in a way that said she most definitely was not fond of her, and the sheepdog's ears flicked back uncertainly. Good gods, she was going to be eaten. Her fear lifted when Murdock spoke for her, and gratitude flushed through her, stance uncertain still. He spoke next to the pup that eyed her still, and Poppy tried for a nervous little smile, skin prickling.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Steph didn't like the feel of the air between her mother and Moo. It seemed tensed, something she hadn't experienced like this before. Except towards outsiders, the wolves in Easthollow had been caring, kind, and loving. In this situation, things were just strained. She tried to rationalize in her brain, to understand just what was going on. But, the conclusion she came to, and the only thing that seemed to matter to her, was that the cause of it was this dog. 

She had never seen Valette or Murdock like this towards each other, and she didn't like it one bit. Added to the fact that Murdock seemed so protective of his new friend, and it made a perfect mix of hatred towards Poppy. Steph's ears flicked back in displeasure, even as Murdock asked her to come along. 

Usually, she would have sided with Moo, but as he seemed to side with the one who was causing this uneasiness, Steph silently turned and walked to Valette's side. She would not be tagging along and, as per Valette's advise, she certainly wasn't going to be getting attached to the dog. She wanted nothing more than to update her best friend on what had happened since she left, but it was clear his attention would not be on her. 

Sure, she was acting like a spoiled, childish princess, but in her defence, Murdock had treated her like his princess, and she was a child. It was difficult for her to act mature in this situation. Maybe in the coming days her love for Murdock would overshine the pettiness coursing through her veins. But, only time would tell.

I babbled... lol
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette wasn't necessary hating on the dog that Murdock brought, she was just very skeptical. Valette was very friendly to her own kind but she was a cold-blooded killer when it came to other species. Any other species. She would case out foxes, or worse, coyote. The female would hunt other creatures so for her the dog was something resembling a fox mixed with a coyote. Would it even work? She looked like an easy meal to the leader.

At least this Poppy was submissive enough. Valette noticed that her daughter had become rather quiet, she didn't look pleased with the current developments. She could see where Steph came from. She was perhaps a bit too attached to Murdock and now it seemed Steph was jealous. "Then it is settled. If she is helpful I won't have too much of a problem with her," Valette stated, though then she glanced down at her daughter. She was worried for a moment but she was certain Steph would come to talk to her mother when something was really bothering her. "Steph, would you join me in tracking down a meal?," she asked. The mother was quite sure her daughter would join her rather than Murdock.

@Poppy do you have discord? :D I can add you to the easthollow chat! And I'd like a new thread with Val and Poppy!! :D
304 Posts
Ooc —
At Steph's silent dismissal, Murdock's face fell into heavy lines of hurt and shock. Although he'd wondered along the journey if Steph would resent him for leaving so quickly, he hadn't thought it would cause her to reject him entirely. But she had obviously taken more than enough offense - the look on her face sent lances of shame and sorrow through the aging male's heart, such that he forgot almost entirely (for the moment) about his suspicion of Valette.

Instead of turning to Poppy, as he'd meant to, the male could only stare forlornly after his pseudo-granddaughter, his chest aching more than it had in many years.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
It was settled, then. She was a part of the pack, but her introduction to Easthollow had been shakier than expected. The girl seemed displeased, surly, and as she and Valette took their leave, Murdock stared after her forlornly. The sheepdog was silent, stomach in knots, as she waited for Murdock to turn back to her and begin the tour of her new pack. Still, as realization sunk in and the pair became more distant, a little glimmer of happiness settled somewhere in the midst of the doubt and nerves. She'd done it - she was a member of Easthollow, now, and despite herself, a little ghost of a smile settled on her maw.
Adopt my pups!               
[Image: SXBUara.jpg]