Stone Circle Let's catch up.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was out to search for @Nikai. The mother had been keen on finding her son and chat with him about what happened. She was curious how Alya and him got back together after knowing that he wasn't with her when Alya was at Morningside. Plus, when Nikai left he still had a leg, one he wasn't walking on but he at least had a leg. There were many question marks and she was pretty sure that Nikai had some questions himself about Easthollow and all that happened.

It seemed like a good day as any to talk to the male. She sounded a howl, so she would have an indication where he was. She was very willing to come to him and not the other way around. She was not sure how well Nikai could move on three legs. Hopefully he had some time to talk with his mother.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
When he heard the call Nikai was checking out the small lake where he'd seen the kingfisher when he lived here before. He was digging up memories with Steph and what life had been like here before. Valette's howl snapped him from his thoughts but also reminded him that not all that he had known here before was lost -- Valette was still here. Nikai called back to inform her of his location and invited her to join.

Nikai hesitated a moment whether he should meet her in the middle, but then he decided against it and remained seated by the side of the lake. It looked so different now that it was winter and the pond was frozen over and snow covered all the bushes and trees by its sides. It painted an idyllic picture however, one that Nikai was eager to enjoy a bit longer while he waited for Valette.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette perked up her ears when her son returned the howl to her. He was west of her. The female turned towards the sound and moved into the direction of Nikai. She quickly found her boy by the small like. She trotted closer and greeted him with a lick on his cheek. She couldn't help herself. She was still his mother and always would be. "Hi Nikai," she hummed.

The female sat down and smiled. "I thought that we got catch up," she smiled. "Like... You left with four legs and returned on three," she spoke carefully. "And... When Morningside was leaderless, Alya was there, without you. There are so many gaps. Would you want to share your story?," she asked.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai enjoyed the scenery a little bit longer while he waited for Valette to join him. As she did he greeted her with a wave of his tail and a nudge to her cheek. Heya, he greeted and waited to hear what his mother wanted of him. Nikai had figured it was something like this -- catching up -- and he nodded in agreement to that sentiment. He'd already heard quite a bit about what had happened here, so he guessed it was time for him to share some of his own.

The problem was, his memory was still fuzzy on some of the counts. He explained: Alya and I got separated during our travels. I don't really remember what happened, but one moment I was just walking about and the next I woke up somewhere else. My memory of the place is a bit fuzzy, but I was put in a small space and I... I think they took my leg, too. Nikai wasn't entirely sure but it was the only explanation he could think of considering all the patches in his memory. But then when I woke up in the valley that I last remembered being, I found it was easier to walk without it. I couldn't use it anymore, anyway. It's like a big weird dream. He frowned thoughtfully, wishing he had a better, less patchy explanation but it was the best he could do for now.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Nikai started to explain what happened while he was away. Valette sat down and started to listen with a quick nod. She was eager to listen to him. The female was surprised to hear that the couple lost each other on their travels. It sounded that she should be lucky that her oldest son Nikai was alive. His memory was fuzzy and that he woke up somewhere else. "Perhaps you were poisoned," she suggested. It could be the reason why he couldn't remember and woke up somewhere else.

"So, it is better without your leg?," she asked to clarify. The female found that strange, but then again, if he didn't use it then it might be only in the way indeed. "I can imagine it felt like a weird dream," she nodded. "I'm sorry you lost your leg, but if it feels better this way then I don't think I don't mind as much. As long as you are happy," she spoke with a smile.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Maybe, said Nikai. It could be the case. He often felt lucky that he was still alive today, even if it was with a leg less. Nikai nodded when Valette asked about the leg. It was strange to him too, but it was somehow better. He had been ill a lot and the wound had never properly closed up, as if something was wrong on the inside. After it had been taken away he had felt better physically, and he had no longer needed to keep the leg up all the time in order to walk, which was less straining.

I was thinking I might need to reconsider my scout trade at some point, said Nikai. I mean, I can still track things and if you need me for anything, I'll be there, but I'm going to think of what other trade I might be able to make myself more useful in too. He'd focus on his other trade, of course, but Nikai would also think of any other trade he could pick up. So how's things been around here? Apart from Stark disappearing? Any other news?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded when Nikai started over his trade. Him being a scout was probably not as convenient as it was when he had all his legs. The female thought about trades for him. "We could use a caregiver if you like to do something with medicine and herbs," she offered. But maybe that wasn't something Nikai wanted to pursue. "Or a naturalist, looking at the weather and knowing our territory extremely well." Valette wouldn't mind to have someone that could advise her on territory things.

"Hectic," she admitted in answer to his next question. "Stark leaving created some consequences I am trying to deal with. Merrit is much like him and having a very bad time dealing with his loss. It didn't help that I fell for Greyback in the meanwhile," she sighed. Valette glanced at her oldest son. "He is the real deal, Nikai. I can't really explain it. So Greyback and I became mates recently. Mawk's mate Illecebra died, he isn't doing so well. Xan's pack in bearclaw failed and they are in Lost Creek Hollow. The Sunspire pack settled there and are our allies. Morningside vanished, I don't have a lot of info. Their territory was just empty. I have not found them yet," she explained. "We changed the ranks in this pack and named more of the stones." It was all a very quick recap.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Valette laid down some options of tasks he could fulfil, and Nikai nodded. I'll give all of those options some thought. Thanks for thinking along. He was in no hurry, as he had enough to focus on in his other trades, as well as meeting all of his new pack mates. A lot had changed in the past year. The pack had flourished though, it seemed, so the changes were mostly good.

It seemed that a lot had changed overall, not just in terms of new members. Valette explained how Stark leaving had left her with trouble. Nikai could only imagine how tough it must be to lose someone you cared for in such a way. Losing Keoni and Steady had been tough for Nikai, but it wasn't near as tough as if they had disappeared. Valette then told him that she had fallen for Greyback, something that did not surprise Nikai much. She sounded like she really loved him (although with Stark, she had too) and Nikai could do nothing but be happy for her. He hated losing Keoni and Steady, but Nikai also knew it was better to have loved and lost than to not have had any of them in his life at all. The same went for Stark, no doubt, and it would be the same with Greyback.

Congratulations, he managed to squeeze in in regards to her mateship to Greyback, before the subject went on to death again. He frowned at the news of Mawk's mate passing. Nikai had not known them very well but they were long time members of the pack. I'll see if I can talk to Mawk, maybe help him process a bit, he suggested. Merrit, too. He wasn't sure he'd be able to help in case of the latter, considering he was an outsider, but maybe that was just what might work. It was worth a shot.

There was other news: Xan's pack at Bearclaw Valley -- one Nikai didn't know much about, as it had only just established when he'd left -- had failed. Nikai wondered how that girl he'd met from there was doing now. He remembered that they had promised each other they'd see each other in Bearclaw when he returned, but it turned out it wasn't so. The Hollow, you said? he asked, and decided that he would drop by for a visit. He'd forgotten her name, but he'd recognise her unique appearance for sure. That's strange, that Morningside just vanished. Nikai frowned as he wondered how Sunny was doing out there. Then, as Valette mentioned ranks and stones, he asked: Can you tell me about the stones?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head in thank you when the other congratulated her. She smiled. Valette was really happy with the male. Then the topic switched to Mawk, who was not doing so well. She was glad that Nikai was going to look after him as well, same went for Merrit. "Thank you, Nikai." It seemed that her son instantly fell back at the role he held before.

Valette nodded in confirmation. "It is east from here," she added. "And yes, it is very weird. I am not sure where they are," she sighed. She was sure that one was suppose to show up sooner or later. Valette's eyes widened and then nodded. "Yes. We changed the names, mainly because I was the only one left that knew Steady. It felt weird to have wolves refer to that stone without knowing him. Some members even didn't feel the connection with the stones as they were unfamiliar with Steady."

Valette offered a smile to her son. "So then I decided to name Steady's stone into the Father Stone. So people could go to it to find fatherly comfort if needed, or wanted to bring an offer for protection," she explained. "I retrieved my mother's bones and buried them at the stone next to Steady. It is called the mother stone to be a mother to all and bring comfort." She explained to him. "We also have the warrior stone where Illecebra is buried. We also have the stone of lost souls to pray for the wolves that have left us and hope they find their way home," she spoke.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai nodded as Valette explained the new names of the stones. Steady's stone was renamed to the father stone, which seemed to match. There was a mother stone where the bones of Valette's mother were buried -- Nikai hmm-mm'd as he considered the difference between mother and father stone and if Keoni had her own stone, too. That sounds lovely.

She mentioned the warrior stone and then mentioned another stone of lost souls to pray for wolves that'd left them. That sounded like Keoni's stone. Keonie'd always to travel, and she never got to. Nikai felt in some way he had paid her homage by discovering parts of the world along with Alya, and later on his own. That must be Keeni's stone, he said with a soft smile. It was weird to think that the wolves living in this pack today, apart from Valette and he, no longer knew any of the passed wolves -- Keoni, Murdock, Steady.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head in agreement. She was pleased with the progression of naming the stones. Even they had lived here for many seasons. She was certain it was going to be important for the wolves that would lead this pack in the future. Valette wondered where she would want to be buried by the mother stone. It fit her the most. Nikai grabbed her attention again.

"Actually, no," she spoke. "No one is buried there. It is to remember the ones were couldn't bury." Valette turned to the stone next to it. It was the smallest of the stones that weren't broken. "The Maiden Stone. I like to think she watches over all the young ones in the pack, as she didn't get to live out a complete life span. And to also guard their innocence from the violence she had to encounter," Valette spoke with honor in her voice. She never knew the whole story of Keoni losing her tongue but she didn't need to know how or why. She knew that Keoni suffered.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The travellers' stone wasn't the one where anyone was buried it turned out, and it made sense when Valette explained why. He nodded in understanding as she moved on to the next stone, the maiden stone. Nikai smiled as Valette described the use of the stone and nodded in agreement.

To him, the pain Keoni had in her life taught him to always live his life to the fullest. He'd lived a pretty sheltered life himself and had never needed to fight, let alone get hurt in the way that she had. He did not know what had happened to her, either, but she had taught him a lot even though she'd lost so much herself. It was too heavy a price for such a lesson, but at least it was something. That's nice, he said with a sad smile on his face. She'd like that. I really missed this place and being able to just be here. And mostly, missed having Keoni's grave nearby. He had liked to spend hours just sitting by Keoni's grave and chatting to her. She didn't speak back, but she had been unable to do that in life, either. When he closed his eyes, he could almost feel or smell her nearby, it felt sometimes. Nikai had easily fallen back into that habit now that he was back again.

I'm really happy for you, he said, realising that his enthusiasm might not have been too present when he congratulated her before. That you found someone new, I mean. It's one of the things that Keenie taught me. That it's better to live your life to the fullest and find love around you rather than be afraid to take a leap. You have to live for you, in the end, even if you care a great deal for others. It was why he left in the first place, too, to see the world and find out about, well, him. He hadn't really done the latter, not to the fullest extent, he felt, but he had learned that life was a constant learning process and that it was a silly thought to go on travels and magically learn about yourself. Either way, he was glad to have gone, just as he was glad to be back now.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was glad that Nikai was pleased about Keoni's stone. The female knew that it was a good tribute but Nikai added some more wonderful things. "Then the stone will also be about that as well then. About living life to the fullest," she smiled. She stepped closer and nuzzle Nikai. She couldn't help it as his mother.

"Thank you. I am very happy. I hope this time around nothing bad will happen," she admitted softly and then lifted her head. "But I will not focus on that," she assured him. Valette turned, to see the stones around them. "I cannot imagine living anywhere but here. I have sold my heart to this place. I will never leave it," Valette spoke. She had been living on these lands for most of her life now. This would be the place she would rest.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai's tail waved gently as Valette added what Keoni had taught him and nuzzled him. It was good to be in the place where Keoni lay once more, where they would always remember her -- all thanks to Valette. New wolves might not know Keoni, but she could still be a symbol for them, too.

He nodded when she said that she hoped nothing bad would happen this time. Valette was quite good at bouncing back from the bad things, so no matter what did or didn't happen, Nikai was sure she would handle it well. It's a great place, Nikai said softly. It's a nice thought that the wolves we have loved and lost will live on here, even after there are no longer wolves living here to remember them.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded in agreement. "I hope that Easthollow continues to live on even after I pass away of super old age of course," she chuckled and then looked around. They had picked a good spot. They were just a normal pack when they started out but they really had become a family. One that would remember the ones they lost and take lessons from those lives that have lived.

She nudged Nikai. "I am glad that you returned to Easthollow with Alya," she smiled. It was great to see her son return. Her mind wandered to Ezra, Steph, Clary all were traveling, though she deemed it normal for wolves their age. They should explore the world.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
That'd be nice for sure, Nikai said with a soft smile. He imagined their children living there, having taken over the lands while their bodies rested beneath the earth. They'd tell stories of their dear parents or great grand parents by then while the sun shone down and they were all gathered by the circle of stones. The same circle as this one, but with a different set of wolves there with it. This would survive them all.

The nudge caught Nikai by surprise and he popped from his thoughts of the future. He smiled too when Valette said how happy she was that he and Alya had come here. I'm glad she wanted to come. Admittedly, he hadn't expected it. I thought she might want to live with her family, at Moonspear. But I think that she realised better than I did at the time that a mountain isn't a place for a wolf like me. He glanced at his missing leg briefly. I hope that she'll fit in and make many friends here. I know how tough it can be to be away from your family, even if it's by your own choice. Nikai smiled at his mother, glad to be home even though his travels had been very interesting. He didn't regret going at all, even though he had lost his leg in the process. It'd given him a lot of new experiences, and it had brought him and Alya closer together ultimately.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded to her son. She had heard Alya about her family at Moonspear before. She had even traveled there. "We must see to a good alliance with Moonspear then," Valette started. "It is quite a long travel and with an alliance they are more likely to visit and perhaps comfortable to stay here on our grounds. Then Alya might not miss her family so much," Valette offered. She liked to have alliances with other packs.

"I am sure she will fit in," Valette assured Nikai. Most of their wolves did since everyone was kind and friendly. They were willing to have new friends. She was pretty sure a hard working female like Alya would make friends easily.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It warmed Nikai's heart that Valette thought along on how they could make Alya feel at home. It felt like mostly his responsibility, to him, as he was the one who brought her here, but it was good to see that others were trying, too. Thanks, Nikai said with a smile. That's a good idea. He hoped that her family'd visit so she may not feel the need to travel back there too often. Though he enjoyed travels, it was quite tough on his body; and he also wasn't too sure he liked the thought of Alya travelling back and forth often on her own.

I'm sure she will, Nikai said with a nod. She's pretty great. A bit soppy perhaps, but it was how he felt. His life would've looked very different without Alya in it.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded. She could only agree with her son. She was pretty sure that his girlfriend would settle in pretty well. Easthollow was not a difficult pack to feel at home, at least, in Valette's eyes. "I'm glad you are happy, Nikai. That is all I want for you in life to be the happiest wolf," she smiled at him. The female grinned. "Good to catch up again,' she smiled at the other. Hopefully some of her other children would also return to this pack. That would make her very happy.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai's tail waved a few happy beats when Valette said she was glad that he was happy. He smiled and agreed with a smile, It was. Nikai bumped his head against Valette's shoulder and said, I'm going to look for Alya. See ya later! And he hopped off in a broken hobbly trot on his three legs, making his way to the place he had last seen Alya.