Moonspear maybe its just jealousy
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
All Welcome 
Revui's face hurt. You can imagine why. He couldn't sleep, so he spent the evening pacing around the mountainside until the stars came out, and then settled in a field where he could watch them - but raising his head too much made things worse. Soon enough the strain in his neck was too great; he couldn't look at the stars he loved so much, and he couldn't sleep, which made him more surly than usual (actually impossible). 

He adjusted himself a few times in trying to tough it out, but inevitably left the field. He hadn't considered that his concussion would be bad enough to prevent sleep, and didn't think he needed any help at all - but he crossed paths with the scent of @Speedy and, remembering her fondness for plants, decided to seek her out.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
It was still a little cold for useful plants to start returning, but that didn't stop the healer from checking different places around the mountain daily for even the slightest hint of spring plants. She had explored the woods until the sun no longer shown through the tops of the trees. Sure that nothing had changed, she moved from the forest and towards the field she knew was nearby; she was feeling restless and set out to explore some more under the moon's soft light. 

A familiar form appeared in the distance ahead of her, causing her tail to wag a few times in response as she shifted into a trot to intercept him. Hey, she said, a bright smile crossing her face. How are you? she asked as she stopped in his path. She was happy that he was finally home and seemed to have healed from his injuries, but she hadn't checked on him yet, so she was glad that she could do so now. She wasn't even upset with him for leaving, although she had been worried and irritated when he left, concerned that he was traveling before his wounds were properly healed or worse, that he was injured further and lost without help. But he seemed fine now, and she wasn't one to dwell too much on the past, especially since he had finally returned in one piece.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
As his packmate came in to view, she seemed pleased to see him. In retrospect he should've found her sooner, such as when he first returned to the mountain. He owed her an explanation - felt he did, anyway. But rather than get in to that, Revui sidled on over to where she was roaming and replied sternly, but honestly, to her question: Hrm, hi. Need.. Your help w'something.

The swelling had gone down naturally since he'd foolishly rammed the giant bear; but it still ached, and the bruise was likely just getting started. Revui did not like to ask for help. If he was going to ask for it though, it'd be Speedy he'd find first — in his mind she was the most skilled of healers, but this was mostly because he had no experience with the craft nor did he know of any others. It was a nice sentiment regardless.

Found a bear in the lowlands, tried t'fight it. He ran his tongue over his teeth, slipped it out to curl over his muzzle to try to comfort himself. The ache was mostly in his head - felt like a sinus headache - and his teeth felt even worse because of it. Revui puffed a bit as he considered what to say next, and then flat-out lied by saying, Was a close call, but.. It won't be botherin' anyone now.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Concern darkened her expression and she studied the large male in front her. Of course, she said automatically. What do you need help with? She hoped nothing was ailing him now, but her hopes went unheard apparently. He continued to explain that he had fought with a bear....a bear? She looked him over anxiously before searching his face. She didn't see any obvious wounds, which was...odd, but she was thankful regardless. You tried to fight a bear? she asked, surprise and worry painting her tone in equal measures as she spoke. By yourself? she asked next. Without waiting for him to answer, she chided him a little, somewhat breathlessly adding: That's dangerous; are you okay? The healer's mind raced with all the awful things that could have happened to him, and so soon after returning to the mountain. She was at least glad that now she hopefully wouldn't accidentally stumble upon the giant creature while out gathering herbs. But seriously, why did he constantly give her reasons to worry about him?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Her worrying served to boost his ego; he enjoyed the panic that slowly set in to her, and the way she fawned over him, looking for damage as if he had been part of a great and terrible battle. It was selfish of him to cause her worry. It felt good, though, so Revui wasn't likely to stop anytime soon. He half-listened to her as she protested against the heinous act of facing a bear, and had to stop himself from smiling — yes, actually smiling — because his words had the desired effect. Perhaps communication wasn't such an annoyance after all?

I fought it, I won. It ran. He explained again, just as blunt as before — and this time, rather than waiting for her to ask questions that may poke holes in his story, he elucidated on the reason for seeking her out: It hit me hard though. My head — ears were ringing, teeth hurt. Can you fix it? He knew she had the prowess to help him, and figured she would find something to make the ringing in his ears stop, or at the very least figure out why his teeth of all things were so sore. He had checked them with his tongue - none felt loose.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She sighed a little at his explanation of the events, a little exasperated that he would so brazenly run into danger all the time. But it was quickly replaced with more concern as he described his symptoms to her. The healer took over then, thinking back to her herb cache inside her den. She still had not had much luck in finding some of the more useful plants, although just one more full moon, and she was sure that would change. Still, she had a few things that could make him feel better. I think I can help, Speedy started, voice changing to something more businesslike but not losing any of its warmth. My den is close by; I have some herbs in there that will make you feel better. She turned and started walking, looking over her shoulder to make sure he was following before starting to speak again. Your teeth hurt because the force of the blow probably caused you to slam your jaws together and bruise your gums, she explained. That would explain the ringing, too. She had seen it before when she was younger and working under her mother, although that wolf had obtained his injury from a low-hanging branch. Assuming he followed, she would cast occasional worried glances in his direction as they walked. She would feel better after she helped ease his pain.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Things were going according to plan; if he could pay enough attention to the plants and whatever Speedy did with them, he'd knock off one segment of what his father had proposed. As a bonus he'd get rid of the ringing in his ears — so Revui followed after Speedy as she spoke and walked, showing a more fixed interest in everything than he ever had before. She seemed very direct and serious about her craft, and Revui was surprised by the shift in her behavior; it was a good change, he silently decided.

With nothing to immediately add, he was at a loss for a bit. A part of him wanted to get this over with so that he could get back to proper work (as he still did not understand the value of plants beyond a rudimentary view that they made things better, somehow); but he knew his father would not be pleased if he worked through his tasks quickly and without proper consideration. That meant, of course, he'd have to do something he dreaded — ask questions.

As they walked together Revui enjoyed the stillness, but it was growing in to something more awkward, and even he could feel it. So he cleared his throat, and after a moment to consider his thoughts - of which there were truly few - he murmured, Mmn, so, can I help... Find them..? Or, ehh, how do I -- what do I do with them? Oh gosh, he was trying.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She was completely unaware of any awkwardness, utterly at ease in the presence of a packmate even when they weren't saying anything. She had been somewhat lost in thought when he asked his question, and his words pulled her attention from her own mind. Sure you can help, she said first, gaze drifting to his face. You can look through my collection with me, and I can tell you what I need, she offered with a smile. 

They hadn't been far, and when they reached the opening of her little cave, she turned and motioned him inside with a lift of her head. One side of the cave was clearly where she slept, a bed of dead leaves and pine needles covering the ground there. Most of the bed's contents were pressed together, showing where it held most of her weight as she slept. The ground on the other side of the cave was covered in plants, herbs, and an assortment of other things from nature. She had each kind of herb, bark, or leaf grouped together in neat little piles, and those piles were further separated into groups. She looked to the male at her side then. I keep them grouped by function, she explained. It was how she had been taught, and it made the most sense to her. She walked over to the first grouping of piles. These are things typically used to prevent infection, the healer continued. It was the largest collection by far; she felt like those plants were the most important. She walked the second largest grouping and sat down. These are plants and other things used for pain, she said, looking over at Revui. I was trying to think of something that would be easy enough for you to chew, she added. Willow bark is good for pain, and shouldn't be too difficult for you to eat, but I can chew it for you if you need me to, she said next. You can help me look for it. It's bark from a tree, and it will probably be dried out and a little brittle. There was no other bark currently in the pain group, so she didn't think it would be too hard to find.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Before long they'd reached her storing area and she was eager to show off the various piles; it took some effort to remain focused as she darted between each pile. For the life of him Revui couldn't spot any differences, but he tried to commit some of it to memory. There were many plants - many large piles, some smaller ones, but he really had a hard time telling the things apart. He studied the largest pile for the longest time, hoping that the effort would be worth it in the long run.

Then when Speedy brought her attention back to him, Revui looked up from the piles and listened. She was talking about eating a tree? How would that help his teeth or his pounding head? For a second he just gawked at her with a frown, but then she gave a description of the bark; if it was just the peeling bark off the trees, that sounded easy. The boy was hardly an ecologist though; like the plants on the ground, the trees seemed to all look the same to him. It wasn't until Speedy was bolting away - with Revui in tow - that the warrior took notice of the variation around them.

So --- bark, willow bark, he repeated as he went, trying to confirm and remember for later. He totally passed by a copse of willow trees enshrined with their yellow spring growth; but he wasn't bright, and had no idea.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
It turned out that there was no bark at all in her collection, which she thought was strange; she was usually pretty good about making sure she always had the important things. Hmm. Looks like I'm out and we'll have to go find some, she said, turning to exit the den. She moved through the trees, glancing back once to make sure Revui was following her. She knew there was a group of willow trees somewhere around, so she inspected the area with her nose until she found the scent she was looking for. When she found the trees, she slowed, preparing to stop and was surprised to see her packmate pass right by her. These are the right trees, she said, smiling and waiting for him to stop and come back. She stood up on hind legs and placed her front paws on the trunk of one of the willows. The healer was deft as she grasped a piece of the bark between her teeth and peeled back a slab, dropping to her feet to break it from the tree when she obtained a piece that was long enough. She set it at her feet and looked up to Revui. Here you can have this, she started. But you can peel off a little more to take with you for later. You may need to to eat the bark for a few days until the pain lessens, Speedy advised. She thought he would probably feel much better soon and he would only need a few pieces of bark.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
She called to him but he didn't comprehend what it was she said; however, he came sweeping back to where she lingered and watched as she, agile and full of confidence, rose up and tore the skin off of the tree. The black-barred surface peeled away and fell to the earth, and Revui prowled closer, his head lowered to the thin paper-like object and offered it a few sniffs. It smelled like a tree, no different from before.

You may need to to eat the bark for a few days until the pain lessens, Speedy clarified. Revui glanced at her, then at the tree which had become partially exposed after having the bark cut away from it, and gawked at it for a moment. It surprised him that something like a specific tree could be of use for his sore jaw and aching head; it was a bit of a lightbulb moment, although it did not last long. He ducked towards the bark and cracked off a chunk with a chomp of his teeth and began to work at it with his molars, swallowing some chunks but mostly making a mess as he tore it up — and when he was done, his tail waved over his hips, pleased with his new knowledge.

Thank you, he murmured next, licking some shards of thin black-on-white from his lips.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She gathered a small pile of bark as he ate the one he had collected for himself, wanting him to have plenty to take with him. When he had finished, he unnecessarily thanked her for her help. She shook her head, giving an enthusiastic wag of her tail. It's no problem, she answered with a warm smile. She never minded helping her packmates when they were sick or injured; it was why she was a healer. I do wish you would be more careful, though, the healer added a second later. I never mind helping you, of course, but I don't like it when you give me reasons to worry, the healer explained. He seemed to be more injury prone than most, and his injuries were usually because he was constantly throwing himself into dangerous situations. But, I'm always here if you need me, Speedy said, her voice softening. She was frustrated that he kept getting hurt, but she never wanted him to think he couldn't come to her for help if he needed it; he seemed stubborn enough form such a conclusion from her chiding.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
It's no problem. She responded as she gathered more bark, but paused a moment later and continued to speak her mind to him. Everyone on the mountain knew he was not a verbose creature — and as Willoughby had learned, his interest in those outside of his bloodline was limited, bratty, or downright terrible. But with Speedy he felt something else. Some kind of acceptance, perhaps something stronger — but he did not have any understanding of his own mentality or emotions, so it was likely he wasn't wholly aware of the different manner he took when in her company. 

Anyone else would've received an eye-roll or maybe bared teeth; Revui listened calmly, patiently, and resumed munching on strips of bark as they were offered - if they were offered - until she said, I'm always here if you need me. Loyalty. That's what he felt towards her. Something typically reserved for his brothers and sisters — an attraction. It hit Revui square in the chest when she promised her support, which utterly baffled him.

The boy grunted and focused on the last bit of bark, pulverizing it and keeping his attention diverted for a second or two, until he felt that weird fluttering feeling diminish. Maybe it was just the effect of the bark.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Unsurprising to the healer, his only response was a grunt, but she never minded his limited use of words; she was comfortable in his company, so talking wasn't really a requirement. She watched him eat the bark for a few seconds, glad she could help ease his pain. Then, deciding she wanted to bring some bark back to her den, she moved back towards the tree and got to work creating a small pile of her own. The willows were not too far from her den, so she only needed a little; if she ever needed more, she could always come back here and get some. 

When she had collected a sufficient pile, she walked back over to Revui to see how he was doing. Does anything else hurt? she asked. Maybe his jaws were just the worst of the pain, and he had just been concerned with dealing with that at the time.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
She worked on gathering more, and when finished she approached him. Revui was already feeling a little bit better after chomping on some of the bark; he knew more too, and realized his father had been right to send him on this errand to be tutored by the girl. It filled him with purpose and now, the understanding that he could do something should he injure himself again.

Does anything else hurt? she asked of him. He shook his head, but caught himself in his own silence and tried to enunciate as he explained, This helped. Thank you Speedy. It was clipped speech, sounding monotonous or even grim, but he meant what he said - he just lacked the ability to properly inflect his tone. Perhaps he needed to make talking more of a habit so that he could find his voice.

A problem for another day. He sullenly gathered what remained of the bark and with a nod of his head began to depart from her company. He'd probably  stow this material for later, or at least for evidence that he had learned something of note from the healer.