Neverwinter Forest On some level, food knows its' food.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Maybe one of Vallkyrie's friends?

Bellharra woke up suddenly. It was wet and cold, and some time around early morning. There were clatters and shrieks, as well as the sound of a disturbance outside her den. Slowly opening her eyes Belharra turned an ear towards the din: was it... birds?

A loud gobble, sounding more like a war-cry than anything, confirmed it was a pair of toms beating each other to death outside her window (figuratively speaking). Moving from the well-worn spot on her den floor Belharra crept outside in time to see two large male turkeys in full feathery splendor, wrapping their necks around each other in what could only be described as a very concerning auto-erotica embrace.

Realizing this meant two things: one, winter was over, and two, brekky, Belharra simply stared at the show with sleepy amusement.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
After all that had happened as of late, there were a few things on Mal's to-do list that needed to be struck off. One of those was security. There were a few copses around the edges of the forest that he didn't always mark, and from the smell of this one, it was where the broken-nosed stubborn doofus had settled herself. Time for her to get over herself and move on if necessary. The pack had grown and they would need the space and safety that came with having no question that the entire forest was theirs.

He probably heard the turkeys too, but with enough else on his mind, Mal wasn't planning on hunting them right now at least. So, as he casually ambled he was calling out various things in a singsong voice, Oh where can that wolf be? Certainly not near. None of it was particularly serious or anything. Hell, he was kind of hoping she'd decide that by turning the tables she'd decide to vacate at the sound of his voice, but he figured he'd never get so lucky. Mal wasn't starting off in a glowering mood today at least. No, if she popped out of the bushes right now, he'd look at least neutral for the first few seconds and see how it turned from there.  But this was at least on his terms this time, so would see how that went.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Watching the turkeys wasn't turning out as exciting as Belharra had hoped. So far it looked like they only had two moves - weird neck-twisty thing, and wing-flapping. Deciding it would be in her best interest to snatch one of the featherbrained boys while they were preoccupied with each other, Belharra hunkered down and prepared to strike.

A sing-song voice passed through the little weald, sending her boys (and breakfast) packing. Belharra straightened up crossly, wondering if that had been deliberate sabotage on the singer's behalf. When he came into view, Belharra guessed he hadn't noticed them. He didn't look too aggressive today, all things considered, so Belharra eyed him with a fair bit of merry mischief. "Why ye's got a voice that could chase brekky right out from stommich, so ye do." She flashed him one of those millionaire smiles, followed by a cheeky wink. "I heard my friend's shacked up in these woods with ye - hope ye've been treatin' her right."
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Let's be real, Mal would not have really minded knowing that he'd interrupted in this case. Oh no, interrupted a lone wolf hunting in his forest! Horrors! But back in reality, some part of him really did see this as a sort of crude test of what he'd learned so far about others. He wasn't sure what result was equal to an A, but this was probably an occasion when any passing grade would do.

Mal smiled as well, but it certainly wasn't a bubbly, joyous sort. No, Mal was confident and seemingly amused at the world -- might not be the broadest of grins, but the fact she was still even here was amusing in its own stupid way. She didn't know when to quit, apparently, but that wasn't going to be his problem much longer. Well if you were looking for someone frilly and quiet I'm certainly the wrong wolf. Despite the fact his conversations these last few months involved a lot less yelling than they had when he was younger, Mal still wasn't subdued in any means.

Well, Mal had kind of guessed she'd been the one that Vallkyrie had maybe referenced, but hadn't been sure. There weren't many choices at this point for who else it might have been. Which was why he didn't go in guns blazing like he might have for anyone else -- certainly not out of any respect for Belharra, she hadn't earned any. His assurances, though, were no lie, I treat all my packmates well. Sort of why I'm taking the time to talk instead of taking the goon squad approach. Or does that take the fun out of it? That last question was delivered with the slightly raised brows and head tilt of mock apology. Look, he was pretty sure most people didn't like the mega bully option, but this chick was weird so he wasn't taking any chances, even if it was just a joke.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Any minute now, Belharra expected the real Mal she had come to know would resurface. He seemed so restrained. So polite. Not at all like the angry man he had been the first handful of times they had met (Belharra's trespass had nothing to do with that, hmmmm???). So she watched him out of the corner of her eye the way someone might watch a log on the water, convinced it would turn into an alligator any second now -- or... Malligator.

To give credit where credit was due, Malligator was trying. Belharra smiled in return, finding their posing ingenuine but willing to play along for now. If it saved her a few holes in her hide, what was was the harm in pretending? "Are frilly and quiet mutually exclusive?" Belharra pondered, the cheeky glint in her eye returning. "Izzat so? I suppose there is some fun in civility. Saves us from tearin' at each other's throats an' wot. I for one would prefer t' do that after brekky. Is this a proverbial olive branch or is the goon squad waitin' on yer word in the woods?"
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Previously she'd run into Mal at, in a sense, the end of an era, and then just a bad day. Mal had gone on and found a sense of self that while it might not always be the most honest, seemed to work for him. But with that said, was she now facing the true side of Mal? Have fun defining that. Either way, not a tad ruffled. They're mutually exclusive with my personal existence, he said with a momentary broader grin. It was true for both him as a person and at times seemed to be true for those he kept around -- Ibis had fled the country and she definitely fit in that set of categories.

I'd rather just find out what you're planning than jump to something ridiculous, he said, seeming to absently think about it before focusing a bit more directly on her, for a moment a bit more serious. Far easier for everyone, I'd hope. But what she was planning to do? Mal wasn't even going to try to guess. Nor was he going to jump right to a more direct question to find out -- more interesting (or telling) to find out what she'd say.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra's face scrunched. She was trying to figure out if she knew any frilly and quiet folk. None in her circle fit that bubble, which she was about to point out when Mal said something about planning.

Belharra, plan?

Her face straightened out, a look of seriousness rare and contrite coming to her features. True be it, Belharra planned for nothing. She was a wolf that went with the wind and her whims. "Ye never heard, god makes fools out of wolves an' plans?" Belharra chittered to herself before continuing."But - I got no plans. I was hopin' to shack up the rest of the winter with Vallkyrie - but it seems ye done and stole her from me." Her tone was playful at the end, accompanied by that usual glint in her eyes: "Now -- wot's yer plan? Gonna chase out ole Belly-bog and throw her to the wolves?"
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Now there was an interesting little crack in her facade. Just simply bringing up planning caused that much of a different expression? No wonder she seemed so weird to him -- she just didn't think about anything, or so was his deep analysis. Her lack of forethought didn't excuse her earlier trespasses, nor would he for some reason forgive her and let her stay if she wasn't willing to play by the rules -- his rules. 

Well, you know where she's staying at least, he mused. But as she tried to push him to answer, again his grin widened, and he shook his head once, Oh no, I insist the choice be yours. If we limit it to things that don't involve someone getting too toothy, I will say you staying here in my forest independent of my pack isn't something on the available outcomes list. I'm not even demanding an absolutely final, no take-backs answer right now. Half the fun was finding out what she really wanted -- or rather how much she wanted what she'd previously been contemplating. That wasn't to say that every option was straightforward and easy, but point in a direction that wasn't absolutely unreasonable and it could always be worked towards.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Having Mal on her doorstep wasn't how Belharra imagined her morning would go. Having Mal give her an option seemed even more bizarre. Who was this Mal? Had he hit his head recently? Belharra's gaze squinted as she inspected his scalp. Free and clean of blemishes.

Hmm.

Maybe he had come to his senses and learned Belharra was A. fun to be around and B. a great conversationalist and C. awesome to have as a pack member? She would take any of those options, pass GO, collect $200. It sure beat the alternative: be thrown to the wolves.

"Ye've grown." Belharra remarked, her spindly chest puffing. "No doubt some o' my good sense has rubbed off on ye." Belharra could let bygones be bygones - and even be a good pack member... provided one condition was met. "So, if I stay here, I become part of ye pack - alongside my merry friend.. Is this her doing?" Belharra had her (bemused) suspicions, but continued. "I'll accept on one condition - which I'll get to, eventually. Are ye the only big chief in this pack?" 
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
I don't know if I'd consider you the bearer of good sense, he said, relatively flatly, giving her a sort of over-the-glasses sort of look. It's nobody's doing other than my own. I'm not fond of starting up some other fight if I don't have to. So this is your chance to decide that you're either so attached to the land that you'll deal with being in my pack -- or I suppose if you want a pack so badly mine will do, as if I know what's going on in that head of yours. Or you ditch and go elsewhere, whichever. He couldn't see Belharra exactly wanting to cooperate. She'd probably be more trouble than she was worth, but at least for a while he supposed he'd be able to keep an eye on her if it came to that.

Again a skeptical look. Considering the amount of trespassing and other nonsense you've done -- I don't think you're in much of a position to ask too much in the way of conditions. I'm giving you a chance because that's what I do. But yes. I am the only leader at the moment. Though there are others help as is needed. If she was going to demand she get to lead, well, there might be a dealbreaker right there. But what did she actually want?
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra grinned, ignoring Mal’s insult. She may be rough around the edges, but Belharra hadn’t fallen off the turnip cart yesterday and bruised her bum. A good part of her obnoxiousness was for show as much as having a good time - it routinely made people underestimate her (like Mal) and routinely gave her the advantage of surprise on the rare occasion she decided to impart her wit. 

On the contrary, that is the best time to make demands. Ye need members that aren’t going to leave your pack unstable — and I need a home. Seems we both stand to benefit, hmm? Belharra returned the over-the-glasses-look, wondering just how much of Mal’s new leaf came from necessity of acquiring honest members rather than a good heart. Now, here’s wot I want.

She leaned in, expression so deadpan not even a wolf like Mal, who was probably used to sniffing out the stank of dishonesty, would realize she was joking:

I want ye to put a baby in my belly.

Belharra pulled away, those wide eyes still serious. But she could hold the facade no longer and burst into a loud cackle the second she (presumably) saw Mal’s disgust. oooh. Heh. Kidding. Nah, I just want any kids to steer clear of where I sleep. Can’t stand the things. Ye should have seen your face!  Whew. She wiped a laugh-tear from the corner of her cheeks, finding that busting Malligator’s chops might be her new favorite hobby.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He leaned back a bit as she approached. And yeah, he definitely looked confused. Only problem was when she kept talking -- well, maybe not problem, at least for him. Only a beat before he replied. But now you make it sound so appealing, he purred before taking a swaggering step towards her, face lit with a fiendish grin. But I'm sure we'd make such lovely little hellions... If she didn't like kids, more fun to threaten her with them. Especially if she couldn't ditch them because they were hers. He kept up the act, I'll just have to change your mind. Brow raise.

But there he paused, shifting his weigh to his back foot as his snark shifted veins, But we'll see how you do. You've already used up your allotted second chances, though. I'd ask you to be on your best behavior, but do you even have one of those? His grin was more lopsided now. Look, he didn't expect much. He was giving her a chance because he thought he should give people chances.. There were just some out there who he was pretty sure would chuck it aside -- if she did so, it was her own doing, and in the end he could chase her out with a clear conscience.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Mal came forwards with a lopsided grin that was returned just as roguishly. His advances may have been meant cheekily, but Belharra was not afraid. "Oh, ye misunderstood," Belharra fed back in that little purl: "is other kids I don't like. I'm sure my own would be just lovely." She flicked the tip of her tail playfully, wondering just how far Mal could entertain this game before either one of them got in trouble.

Belharra's face fell comically when Mal continued, opining about her lost chances and best behavior. "Wot! Ye mean I wasn't on my best behavior already?" Only the light crinkle of her brow showed she was joking and the message was received.

For now.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Sounded like an excuse to him. Oh, then why back down on your 'demand' then? Such feigned innocence. As if it was all very reasonable, when he knew the answer actually had, "Well duh" somewhere in it. Look, it was pretty much a hypothetical question at this point anyway, he was just kind of being a twerp. 

Either way, he moved on entirely then, joking about had run its course there. Maybe come back to it later. Either way, they were maybe actually on the same page for once? Trouble's got enough of an edge as it is without you helping it along. That isn't actually what-- He seemed to catch himself then, paused, and started again, trying to actually give her the chance he promised, So what is it you do besides survive mostly on your own? A simple enough question, he thought, though he kept wanting to be snarky. He still wasn't sure if she'd answer it straight or not.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra liked this banter. It was way more pleasant than the alternative, she could give him that. Mal even managed to catch himself midsentence. So SWEET!

He was really trying, bless his heart.

She hiked a smile his way, combing back her hair with a calloused paw. "Oh, ye know." He didn't know, so she'd have to explain. "Survive. " Oh, that would definitely earn the patented MalSnark. "So, that entails charming loners into helping me with big game. It normally works." Belharra raised a brow in that signature 'smug AF' look. "I use my good looks, ye ken. And when that doesn't happen, I charm the socks off them with a song." This was all plausible in Mal's eyes, right? Unfortunately for him, she wasn't kidding.

"Would ye like to hear one?"
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
A brow quirked, Well I'd hope you wouldn't need too much charm to convince packmates to hunt with you. Or maybe she would. But that depended on whether she acted the way she had towards him to everyone or if Mal was somehow just special that way. Vallkyrie for some reason liked her -- maybe her attitude went over better with women or something. Maybe she just hated guys.

But singing, eh? A particularly thoughtful pause before he continued, particularly upbeat, I can't tell if I should be morbidly curious or not. Look, it was gonna go one of three ways, he figured: she was garbage and liked hurting poor innocent people's ears, she was reasonable and wanted to prove she wasn't joking (for one second at least), or she was reasonable and was going to be as bad as she could be just to go hurt his ears. She so far seemed like the type to go for ear hurting nonsense -- and also the type that if he said no, would do so anyway. Every answer was the bad one!
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra had been referring to loners, but a wide grin crossed her features as Mal teased her about packmates. Well, Neverwinter was an easygoing and fun bunch, they'd be easy to cajol into doing whatever, right?

Right.

Mal kept quiet for a beat, maybe processing what Belharra had said. She waited patiently, the grin still wide. Oh, he was going to learn one way or another, about her singing... and since he hadn't exactly forbidden it...

One thing about Belharra: her pipes were good, her songs tuneful, but the hangup was her subject matter was often equal parts grossly enthralling and equal parts just plain gross. She sang about some real crude things.

"'Kay, well, here goes." She cleared her throat and sat back, wiggling her bum into the dirt to make for an extra comfy sitting spot.

"The Ballad Of Tin-Tam The Frog."

Into full belted, upbeat song Belharra went -

"Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam on the pine
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, croaks along jus' fine
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, crooning up all day
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, won't ye come an' play?

Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam sitting on the log
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, the green tree frog
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, ne'er saw the hawk
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, gone wit naught a squawk

Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, swallowed in one bite,
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, hollerin' up a fright,
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, darkness closing in
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, fightin' from within

Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, kicking up a storm
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, wriggly as a worm
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, crawled right out ze throat
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, leapin' like a goat

Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, fell three hundred feet
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, risin' ground did meet
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, landed wit a SPLAT
Tin-Tam, Tin-Tam, now he's green an' FLAT."

Belharra finished with a rowdy grin, a deep bow taken as she waited for Mal's enthused applause.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Of course he wasn't gonna go escape the song. But at least she wasn't attempting to be horribly off key. And she was also way too into it. But whatever, better than outright causing trouble here.

But there was no way he was going to give her more than a brief chuckle -- no way -- and it might not have been at what she was wanting anyway. She was so very into her singing, and such an odd subject. Mal was pretty sure Belharra wouldn't be able to disguise herself as a normal person if her life depended on it. Okay, if this was D&D he'd tell her to roll with disadvantage. But whatever, better to be pleasantly surprised after it all, right? A smirk, I think you're even weirder than me. How many of those you got stored away? That seemed about as close as he could get to praise right now, but considering she'd kind of been a jerk to him, maybe that wasn't so surprising.
134 Posts
Ooc —
It wasn't praise, but Belharra would accept it. She had lived the line of subterfuge and constant snipes - anything that wasn't negative could be perceived as a compliment.

Besides, she knew Mal wasn't the type to dole out accolades. Either because his heart was sewn shut tighter than a flytrap, or maybe because he was afraid of getting hurt.. She didn't know - and she didn't care to dig, either. Everyone had a past. Not everyone had one as exciting and as fulfilling as hers.

"Oh, thousands. This corker's mind is constantly at work." Belharra thumped her brainpan with a dead expression, only her eyes betraying the mirth.

"I could sing a song about ye, if ye'd like." Belharra bowed in an exaggerated flourish, that rogue grin still rolling. "Roi Mal - that's king, ye ken. Would ye like to hear the song? I will sing it for ye, since someone out there has got to say somethin' nice about you."
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Suppose we'll be counting on you to keep things entertaining after big hunts then. Dinner and a song? Assuming she didn't get too gross about it. That would be something that might have a very short shelf life.

A song about him? Another laugh at that, See, now that sounds actually dangerous. Nah, I don't need a song about me -- I'm no king, either. The only ones I met that claimed they got some kind of royalty floating around weren't exactly the types I'd wanna be pretending to be. Way too wrapped up in themselves and got everyone else thinking so too. He did grin at that -- but hey, look it's gotta be bad when Moonspear seemed way too over the top to a guy who thought he was a pretty good catch, that was saying something. Or was that something else? More that a good portion was just bluster. Still, not gonna leave it there, a smirk, Think you'd find you're the odd one out anyway. His pack had to kind of like him or they weren't gonna be here.
134 Posts
Ooc —
"Oh, no. I aint ye jester." Belharra's expression went from cheeky to serious, the swap stark and quite unnerving. It was true, too - she was many things, but a court jester she was not. Her blithe and jocund demeanor was mostly a front, just as she expected Asmodeus' flat aspect was a front. Just as she expected Mal's devil-may-care attitude was a front hiding something much angrier beneath.

They all had something to hide. Belharra's smile returned. "Are ye accusing me of not liking ye?" Scandalous, that.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Not the response he was expecting. So then what did she use her songs for if not to actually entertain? There were other ways to say that wasn't her preference. That was blunt, and so was his response. Hm. Maybe he was giving her too much credit. She had yet to act like the kind of wolf that would do okay in any pack.

He rolled a shoulder in a shrug, Haven't shown me otherwise. Just the facts. But he was giving her a chance because that was what he did. And I've got some other things to do. So I'll hear your songs some other time. Things had pretty well burned out conversationally anyway. He turned, ready to leave, but would give her an opportunity to say something before heading off.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Things had burned out conversationally indeed. Belharra wasn't a mind-reader, but anyone who had spent time with Mal would probably feel the way she did - that their every action/detail was being mentally dissected and pooped all over.

She shrugged her shoulders. She was never one to beg for company - especially company that thought less of her than the dirt under his pawpads. "See ya!" Belharra parroted effortlessly in his cheery accent. 

Wonder what Kyr was up to..? Belharra didn't wait for pleasant goodbyes. She sauntered off sniffing out where Kyr had gone off to.