Northstar Vale It's bad when you annoy yourself.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
All Welcome 
Hours later, Hime was pacing the lakeside. For such a slight creature she was surprisingly forceful as she made her way, purposeful, even somehow antagonistic, as if the sliver of pathway had insulted her. It was an insult though. Insulting to Hime, to the clan's honour, to the family that they shared—but really all that concerned her was the personal side of things.

Had she not been so focused on herself, perhaps she would have seen the value of this kingdom. Trees of varying colors lined the lakeside; some brilliantly green, others a dazzling white, and mostly in bloom. Those that weren't budding—evergreens along thick upon the hill—reflected back at her like teeth. She wasn't bothered. There were no living things around her that mattered, while the only thing that drew her attention was her own image; however, even that was brief.

A trembling in the water coerced a flick of her gaze to the hazy white reflection. She stopped walking to watch. The ripples rolled close and lapped at the reeds fringing the edge of the water. Hime, boredom clear upon her face, lifted her head slightly and saw the distant round shapes drifting upon the water's surface: a mallard, maybe—or a loon. Even as she entertained herself with its identification the bird called out, and the loon's cry rose to her ears sharply, at which point Hime rolled her eyes and turned away.

She was hunting for her sister but really, any sort of entertainment would do. It was a pity she had discarded her guardsmen, she thought. She missed ordering them about. By now Reiko would have tried to charm at least a few men to be her watchers but it was unlikely she'd have succeeded; the girl was a simpering fool, and Hime was here to prove how unfit she was at the helm of this kingdom.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She'd returned home after a brief tour of the old homestead. The trees there still held Reiko's carvings, the basic four-cornered flowers, and roaming through them brought back many good memories; she stifled the bad ones. Until she came to the intended meeting place for the pack's counsel, and saw that the carved trees there had been cut too deeply. They were dead—leafless, grey among the greenery around them. It was a soul-sucking moment that brought tears to Ibis' eyes.

It was also the moment she deigned to return home. Away from the Emberwood, up and in to the mountains, and then down again in to the valley. A few days of hard work, and she was home again—rightfully so. But the images of those trees were burned in to her mind.

She rested for a few hours and then felt too antsy to remain still, so Ibis got to her paws and began to roam the area. Her path crossed by a smallish lake (more like a pond, she thought) and from her vantage point along its bank, she thought she could see Reiko. Her friend was no doubt worrying over her; but thoughts of their last conversation filled her head too, and so she was reluctant to approach.

As she did, the call of a loon sounded across the water. The echo was haunting, but the song made her smile despite how brief it was. She drew up behind where Reiko was standing in wait, presumably as interested in the bird as Ibis was. With a smile on her face, she offered a peaceable greeting: Reiko, ah, I know we had a bit of a spat before, but... I wanted to apologize. Before she knew it she was talking through the awkwardness of the moment, but it made her feel immediately better.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
Soon enough entertainment found its way to her in the form a little girl with a sweet voice - immediately calling out to the snow Queen mistaking her for blundering sister. The way she addressed Reiko gave the impression that they were close, friends maybe? Turning to face the little girl, she smiled, putting on her best sweet act, smile and all. She knew Reiko well enough to be able to mimic her, well, unless that dopey failure of a sister had a change of attitude over their time apart.

It’s okay… Water under the bridge? If she knew what had happened between the two, she could have played it off a lot more smoothly, but instead, she tried to keep the details vague all the while trying to remain in her sister’s shoes.

Do you forgive me? Ah yes, that classic head tilt, a smile, maybe even a little wiggle of her tail to denote a more friendly demeanour. If Reiko’s followers and friends were anything like her, this one should eat it all up and the facade would only become easier in time - all she had to do was pass the initial impression and it should be smooth sailing from here on out.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The relief Ibis felt upon hearing her friend's voice was so strong, she didn't even think to question anything. A sigh drew its way out of her, easing the tendrils of tension from her body, which she wasn't entirely aware she was holding in. Her heart thudded when she heard the urge for forgiveness come from Reiko—as if she could ever be at fault for how passionate Ibis became! That wasn't her fault. None of it was her fault.

But rather than confuse the issue, she nodded and proclaimed: Of course, its in the past. All of it. Except it really wasn't, and they both knew that. Reiko would soon be having the children of two men, one of which being the future leader alongside her, and a terrible beast of a man at that. It didn't sit right with her at all.

Better to let it go for now, she reasoned. It was a touch more awkward than Ibis gave it credit, but she wouldn't push. She moved to settle beside Reiko, becoming a puddle of buttery fur beside the stark-white of the Empress. It was at this point she started to feel uncertain, but it wasn't something Ibis was fully cognizant of. Reiko's scent was a little different—but she was pregnant, so perhaps that accounted for it.

There was still a weight to Ibis, and now that she'd settled against her friend she felt its presence. This knowledge that the future may not just belong to herself but a future generation, and somehow Akavir was a part of that. A new sigh came from her then: strained, heavy. I still haven't... Spoken to Akavir. I know you said it was a good idea, and I agree, but... I am afraid. What if he leaves? Before she can stop herself she's rambling quietly onward. Or what if he hates me in learning the truth. I can't even remember how many men I.. you know. He was the last, so maybe they're his? But... I don't know what to do.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
Of course the ditzy little girl believed the ice queen’s lies and act. Her act of being Reiko was perfect! As her twin, she just knew how to make it work, how to tap into that simple mind of hers and mimic Reiko with perfection. It was almost artful the way she was able to step into her skin. Poor thing, if only she knew her apologies would never reach that simple-minded sister of hers.

From Reiko’s scent around here, her sister was pregnant, quite along too… she should be getting fat by now. How oblivious is this little girl to be blind to not only the difference in weight, but also the scent between the sisters? 

Returning the lean of the little girl, she continued the facade by letting her touch her this way, even if it was a simple, innocent gesture, having someone so lowly against her still brought a shiver of hate down her spine. Despite it all, she cuddled up to the pastel wolf to keep this little charade going. That’s definitely a possibility. She drawled. It’s possible that the first is the one who fathered your puppies, being the first to you know… get the chance to fertilize you. Feigning a discomfort in talking about sex and all its nitty gritty details. 

It might be best to lie to him and hope they all look more like Akavir than the other men you slept with. Frosted eyes washed over to her new little toy. Boy problems, the little slut went around sleeping with every cock she came across during her heat this year and found one she liked. Poor thing. Someone needs to help you with the puppies, and you two like each other as well, yes? Why not keep him happy with a couple innocent white lies? With upturned brows, Hime offered a concerned smile after giving her poisonous two cents.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When she felt the leaning of her friend, Ibis softened. She did not know what to do; after their previous argument on the subject, she did not anticipate any further help from Reiko at all — maybe some attitude, or an easy dismissal, both of which she would have accepted. Instead she got something different: a reversal from the previous advice. Rather than be open about her situation, now Reiko was justifying the use of deceit, which didn't sound right - Ibis' heart felt like it skipped a beat as she registered the words - but at the same time, a part of her wanted to trust that advice, different though it was.

Her own doubts supported a little white lie. It would be easy enough to claim Akavir as the father of her children (should there be any) and if Reiko was suggesting it to her, it was probably a good idea. Her friend was smart and kind and thoughtful, so while Ibis might not have trusted her own judgement, she was eager to trust Reiko; it was merely an unfortunate twist that this wasn't, in fact, her friend speaking.

But Ibis was so wrapped up in her own drama that she didn't pay too much attention to the differences. They should have been obvious - but they were not. Ibis heard what she wanted to hear, from the person she wanted to hear it from, and let out a sigh as she melted against Reiko.

You're... you're probably right. I mean, yes, that's sensible. Its not a harmful thing to lie about, either. For all I know he is the father. She shakes her head softly, lost for a moment to the dizzying memories. The giant who took her first; then of all people, Mal; the wild creature after that, and Akavir — was she forgetting anyone? Fionn, and the woman. In retrospect Ibis should have been more discerning, but it wasn't like she had planned any of this.

Thank you Reiko. I needed to hear your support, she murmurs against her friend's plush coat, nosing against her scruff and beginning to lightly groom at it, tugging a knot out with her teeth. Then she sighs, deep, down to her core, and pulls away - getting to her feet again. I'll go find him. I've put it off too long already.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
I'll fade it here?

It was easy to sway this idiot girl, not a challenge at all. Rather than let herself take the win Hime found herself straining to keep the facade going; she wanted to smack the girl in the side of the head and really tell her off — but she couldn't do that. What kind of people did Reiko associate with, she wondered? There was Takeshi, but that made sense as they were betrothed. Hopefully the rest of her sister's subjects weren't as empty-headed, but if this was any indication of what the kingdom was built upon, Hime had her doubts. It took focus not to sneer at the girl or let her true nature shine.

Thankfully, the girl stood up and appeared to be leaving. Hime busied herself with some idle grooming of the fur patch where the slut had been pressed, finding her sweet scent cloying and wanting to be rid of it. Ibis' little voice sounded resolute in her next task and Hime wanted to say, hurry up then, stop talking and start doing, but instead she offered a saccharine smile, and dipped her chin dismissively.

Once the girl was on her way Hime turned back around so she could face the water, where the loon continued to coast as a distant silhouette. Her ears pivoted to every slight sound, listening for the diminishing strides of the dumb bitch, and when she was out of ear-shot Hime let out a frustrated sigh and rolled her eyes.

There was much work to be done if this kingdom was to function properly, and she knew it would be a pain in her ass.