Greatwater Lake shepherd
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
Private 

he did not know where to go next, after his trip to the woods.

somewhere new, he thought, would be best. somewhere that did not hold memories of foul beasts.

but what would he do when he found that place he longed for? would abraham come back to him? would his other son arrive too?

perhaps he needed to be entirely alone, perhaps that was the deepest part to restrengthening his faith. perhaps he needed to...build his own flock.

his head ached with all the thoughts that thrusted against his skull.

the sight of the lake was a welcomed relief.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
They had similar plans, he and this stranger, though neither knew that yet. All the spaniard knew was that the man heading for the water held the appearance of his kind. He could tell he was mixed, but it did not matter; Andrés was intrigued all the same. Besides, he held no biases against those of mixed heritage. They deserved to be enlightened too. 

The guard dog trotted over to the lake and stopped a respectful distance from the lovely man. Good day, he offered in his heavily accented common. Would you like some company? he asked, offering a charming smile. He would wait to be invited closer before moving.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
what was....

he.

a man, not a wolf, but certainly not the same fabric of bartholomew. he could not help but openly stare with some tangled sense of delight and confusion.

it was always nice to be faced with somebody kind, to see somebody who was not so abhorrent as some wolves he had seen.

a blessed day, he hummed softly. as if this man alone had instilled some sense of former glory into bartholomew.

i...would welcome the company, very much. he respond, a slow wave of his tail.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Very blessed, mi amigo, the canine offered in return. 

The other man welcomed his company and Andrés moved to close the space between them. He took a seat next to the friendly stranger. I am called Andrés, he offered, turning to look over the wolfdog now that he was beside him. Intrigue sparkled in the guard dog's eyes. 

I consider myself lucky to have found you here, he admitted. He had not been expecting much, honestly. This place was infested with wolves, so to find one of his own kind was pleasant surprise.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
ah, what language was that? so warm and friendly, it rolled off naturally from his accented tongue.

but it did not truly matter. not when the man seemed so open to blessings.

bartholomew, he returned to...andrés . such a bizarre yet familiar man. how had he come to be? where had he come from?

then we are both blessed with luck. i tend to only meet...well, barbarians of creatures, truthfully. a soft warm laugh. as if he had suddenly found himself in the presence of an age old friend.

do you live here? the lake, i mean.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Bartholomew. A fine name. 

Ah yes, this place is overrun with barbarians. A shame really; it was so abundant in other, pleasant ways, but the wolves seemed to overshadow that. It was why he wanted to create a place free from all of that. 

Andrés shook his head. I live nowhere for now, he answered, though there was no hint of sadness of loneliness in his voice. My companion and I came here to find more like us, to enlighten them of their worth, the guard dog explained. 

And you? Do you have a place to call home? Perhaps the wolfdog would want to join them. He would wait to offer; they must get to know each other better.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
im home from work so my posts will be quicker now if you wish to keep 'spreeing' <3

a...companion.

he briefly wondered if it was like him and his hunter had been. a pang in his chest, how sad it was to have lost one good wild man. the only thing truly being a shield for bartholomew.

i used to live on an island to the north. i thought it might be...promising come spring. a place for a church, perhaps. and now it was clear and warm and he was not there. i do not know when — or if — i may return.

a slight roll of his shoulders to wash off internal discomfort.

what is the...enlightenment that you come to spread?
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
i'm definitely down to continue spreeing <3

An island. A church. The canine was further intrigued by Bartholomew. He wanted to delve more into his mind and know more of this man with his golden eyes and long, flowing ears—but he reminded himself to be patient. If he scared the wolfdog away then he would get to know nothing more.

He hummed softly. Dogs were created by our gods; we are special and it is my mission to find others like me and teach them of this, tell them of my religion and show them how their life could be once they become a follower. He lifted an eyebrow, a smile curving his lips. Eres especial, Andrés told him. You are a lovely creature, he added. Perhaps you would be open to learning all the ways you are blessed by the gods.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
something stirred in his chest, it reminded him of the woman, and harshly he shut it down within himself.

shame taking its place in the hollow of his breast.

he might have found himself in further agreement with the man but he said...gods. bartholomew only knew God. usually, he would have wielded a tactful tongue and strong hand, to correct this type of situation. but he was weaker and softened by the man who seemed to be...partially on the right path, perhaps.

i know of only one and his name is God. he started with, slow and soft.

but, perhaps...you could tell me of yours. there are...multiple?

he swallowed a lump in his throat.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Andrés couldn't help the disappointment he felt when the other man revealed that he had his own god and his own religion. It would be more difficult to open his mind to what he really was, if not impossible. 

But he asked about the guard dog's own gods, and hope sprung in the large man's chest. Another smile pulled up the corners of his mouth. They have another name, too; humans. To us, they are gods. They created us from wolves and gave us a better life. This was long ago, well before my time, but I still know this to be true. He met Bartholomew's gaze if allowed. I have faith as I am sure you do. Their faith was in different things but it felt the same, he was sure. 

And your god? What does he do for you?
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
humans.

bartholomew had not heard such a name for any kind of god yet. how...peculiar. although that statement could go for the entirety of the man before him.

he does, well, everything. he made the very earth we stand on. he blessed us with the prey that roams it and crafted the hunters that chase them.

a thin smile on his face, gold eyes meeting the dark depths of andrés' own eyes.

he only asks for devotion and you will be rewarded in this life and the next.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Andrés held Bartholomew's gaze, his own an intense mix of emotions he was unable to name for now. 

Maybe your god created my gods then, he suggested, mostly joking, or possibly grasping at straws to make the striking man open to him and his beliefs. Then my religion would be born from yours, yeah? The dog grinned and brushed his shoulder against the delicate, auburn shoulder of the other man. 

on a more serious note. I am devoted to my gods, too, he added. But I can allow room for the beliefs of others, so long as they do not cause me or mine any harm. He raised an eyebrow, his eyes looking over wolfdog's face. Can you do the same? Maybe in time Bartholomew might see things his way.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
he laughed, but it was not to mock. no it was...perhaps the most reasonable take he had heard from another religious creature so far. it did not mean it made sense but it showed an openness, a willingness.

bartholomew thought of that boy in the woods.

what are you asking me, andrés?

a quizzical look painted his softened features, still looking towards the larger domestic man.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Andrés watched the other man laugh, his eyebrows lifting in pleasant surprise. 

His amusement didn't fade with the question, if anything it grew. He was fascinated already, which might not be a good thing. 

For an open mind. Spend some time with me and see what we do. I will not force anything on you, a follower has to be willing. In return, you can tell me more of your god. He was not a selfish man; he was willing to give a little. And we can learn more of each other. He raised an eyebrow. I would like to know more about you, Bartholomew, the word sounded odd with his accent but he did the best he could. I thought maybe you would like the same?
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
there are more things for me to know before i decide...

Heaven above. his spirit had broken and here it was shown once more. how could he consider this man and his sacrilegious ways?

you don't live here at the lake, so where will you go when we are done here? does your companion make a home somewhere?

perhaps they were true missionaries just as he had once been. roving and roaming to spread the gospel word.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
Of course, he offered. After all, they had only just met. The guardian was asking a lot, he knew that. 

We have no set home, Andrés explained. For now, we are traveling to find others like us who are open to hearing about our beliefs. We will settle eventually, when it is time. He knew a home would find them when they were ready. He was content where he was for now; the other man's continued presence would only make things better.

If that does not suit you, I understand. He dipped his head.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
andrés was...perhaps too kind of a man for bartholomew.

in the sense that the missionary felt as if he did not deserve this patience, this offer.

it is not that. he assured the man, hushed and soft. i think we...want very much the same thing, andrés — and i worry of stepping on the toes of you and yours. it was not a rejection so much as it was a simple fact. laying down his cards carefully.

i wished to make a place on that island, with those who followed and believed as well. the desire still lingers. perhaps not the island but...

oh, he was rambling something fierce, wasn't he?

he laughed once more, this time at himself.

you can see my concern, can't you, andrés?
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
He was a very wise man; Andrés was impressed. And his concerns were valid, there was no way he could deny that. 

The wolfdog laughed and the spaniard found himself watching the way it shifted the delicate features of his face. 

I understand, he offered, hiding his disappointment. We are both devoted to our beliefs. He had known from the beginning that it would be difficult to pull this man into his world. And it might confuse the followers they did find to have someone whose religion didn't align with theirs. 

I do not disagree, either. But I tend to listen to my heart over my head most of the time. He enjoyed life more that way, even if it did get him into trouble at times.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
perhaps...perhaps there is a way to compromise.

had he not lived with a heathen hunter for some time? despite their religious differences, they had respected each other and thrived for it.

i once had a companion, a non-religious man who was not like us. a wolf. he helped me hunt. we lived in mutual respect even though our worlds were...different.

there was a softened tone to his words, eyes drifting out to the water. as if the ghost may appear before them to prove bartholomew's story.

we are closer to each other's worlds than i was with him.

it was a...suggestion of sorts. an olive branch.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
He liked the idea, even if a part of him wondered how long that would last. Neither of them were willing to convert to the other's religion, so where would this even lead? Andrés pushed the logic away in favor of indulging himself. 

He did hate that the wolfdog had been forced to spend time with a wolf, but that was the past. The guardian was here now, and he had no intention of rejecting his suggestion. 

That is a compromise I can agree to, mi amigo, he said with a wide smile. I think you will find my company much more pleasing than the wolf's, he teased, though it was the truth according to him.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
bartholomew felt a warmth he had not for some time.

it was...as if he walked a spiritual tight rope just now. this was opportunity to thrive and build something upon the back of giants.

i already do, soft and warm. a thin smile on his narrow features. he did not even speak. a soft shake of his head. how had he lived with such?

it had been easy, he reminded himself.

i can show you the nearby lands, if you ever want. i have roamed in my missionary work...
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
He was delighted to hear Bartholomew already preferred his company. And to know that the wolf did not speak; how strange. He chuckled. Yeah? That is good.

I would love to see these lands, Andrés said. I have not been here long and I know very little about this place. Your knowledge would be very helpful. 

Maybe we can go soon? I am eager to know more and to travel with you. More time for them to know each other.
spanish
common
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
feel free to fade us out and I can set us up a new thread based on what he says! :D

pick a direction, andrés, and i will take you to where i know.

it was a promise, a truer bonding between them now that they shared a common goal.

he would be pleased to learn more of the alluring man and to show him these dangerous lands with a gentle, guiding hand.
18 Posts
Ooc — hela
sounds good!

Andrés hummed and looked around. Take us to the west. something about that direction had drawn him. Show me what you know there.

His tail waved slowly behind him as he waited for the wolfdog to lead them on their first adventure together.
spanish
common