Northstar Vale Aventurer en Avant
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
All Welcome 
Legs aching from days of travel the she-wolf was glad to slip into the comfort of a vale. She had been venturing through mountains for her whole life, but it never got any easier. While the rugged terrain served as a good home for those who wished to grow their packs without interruption, there was a reason that not many chose to live in them. Not only could it be dangerous, but just a short trip could be exhausting.

Going alone certainly hadn't made it easier, however she had made the choice to travel ahead of her companions for a reason. It would be much easier to scout that way - she didn't trust them not to get in her way.

A successful trip was worth some sore paws.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Hope you don't mind- Ameline can't go far from home, but I thought a howl thread might be fun to have :)

Restlessness struck Ameline, who thought of her days working as a scout with a certain amount of regret. It would be a long time, she thought, until she could go on another scouting mission herself- with so few wolves to protect the valley, and a brood of children who still needed help with their hunting...Not to mention, supervision, so that they did not wander too far. 

From the sentry stone in Bearclaw Valley she called out- a song that invited others to join, a call for conversation. She hoped another soul within earshot might become curious enough to engage, regardless of the fact that they might be total strangers. 

Even though she could not wander, and see distant lands, she could still reach them with her voice, and learn from others abroad.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
totally fine with me! It's my first time writing one, so it should be fun!

The familiar sound of another canines song reached her ears, catching her interest. While usually she wouldn't bother with such a thing, Viskani knew better than to turn down a chance at connection in her current situation.

Lifting her muzzle she returned the friendly call, her rough voice growing clear as it was carried by the wind. She had plenty of time on her paws, a conversation couldn't hurt her.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
She waited, ears flicking forward. She slicked her tongue over her whiskers and breathed in; she could not smell anyone else nearby, nor out in the neighbouring meadow. She sighed, softly, pining for the empire she had always envisioned when she had been a child. 

She sat up when a voice answered, feminine and friendly. She smiled softly; it was good to hear a new voice. 

I am Ameline, She responded with her next howl. It lilted upward. I lead a pack in the Valley, She responded, before she waited a beat. I am a mother this year; it is nice to speak to someone who can howl, Mirth caused a light trill in her voice. She wondered if the other might understand how much she appreciated getting a chance to talk to another adult.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
She listened to the response with her ears perked, a slight smile crossing her muzzle. Hearing that the other was a new mother she couldn't help but feel excited for them. She'd had many children herself, yet the feeling of pure joy after laying her eyes on a new litter was always the same. However she understood that while pup's were lovely, they could be exhausting.

'A new mother? You must be excited' She responded, 'I have children of my own, but they're all grown now.'

She was careful not to not bombard her with questions right away - she remembered how bothersome that could be.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Ameline chuckled to herself, thumping her tail on the pale stone that made for her perch. It warmed her heart to hear that the stranger- no name given just yet- had had children...The joy in her voice was an indication that she had enjoyed being a mother, and the fact that her children had moved on made Ameline believe that she must have been successful. 

Very excited; it is my first litter, and we had four girls, Another trill of laughter in her voice. It is very exciting, but exhausting too...Between being both a mother and a leader, my paws are full. She confessed. Every waking moment, I have to multi-task...I'm on border duty now, She sang out, with a light chuff of laughter to herself afterwards.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
It sounded as though her and this stranger had quite a bit in common to her. She wondered if they would ever meet, or if it would be best not to.

'Daughters! You're certainly lucky' Her tail thumped against the ground. 'I've never had anything but sons.' She then moved on to the issues the wolf spoke of. 'I can see why you must be tired, though. It never is easy being both the matriarch of a pack and the mother of young pup's.'

She had watched her own mother face such challenges, and while she admired her for it she understood that it could be exhausting. Though with the goals she had come to the Teekons with she would likely be in the same boat soon.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Yet again, she was moved to laughter- and caught herself wishing she could simply leap from the stone and search the stranger out. It would be good to laugh, joke around, and commiserate with another woman...She thought of her sister in Sapphique, but it had been so long since she had seen Raelle, she wasn't sure her sister would forgive her for her absence. 

She paused for a moment, considering what the woman had said. It sounded to Ameline as though she had been in a similar situation- except with boys. She thought of her own struggles- maintaining the borders, feeding the girls, teaching them, trying to be their friend while also keeping them from becoming rude or obnoxious...And she found a little bit of sadness well up within her. 

How did you do it?

An honest, heartfelt question.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
Hearing the question, she had to consider it. The answer was never easy - there was no simple guide to parenthood, nor leadership - let alone managing both.

'I simply follow what my mother, and her mother before me did. They were a good guide.' She paused, considering some proper advice. 'Your children's love for you is unconditional at this age - you can be firm, it will be good for them in the long run. Remember that you can ask for help too, yes?'
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Mothers. 

Ameline grimaced and rose to circle a few times on the stone so she could shake off a bit of anxiety. 

Her own mother had abandoned her; she'd managed to collect the other children, but not little Lilia. Lilia had been left without a mother. She'd had father figures in both Prophet and Augur, though Prophet had abandoned her. She had been taught to revere Avicus, only to discover all of her hard work to keep the pack running during Avicus' disappearance meant absolutely nothing, and that the woman was so desparate to wear the crown herself that she would tear her family apart just to get it. 

She was told to be firm; those who had raised her had only ever been firm with her. 

I will remember that I can ask for help, she said. I can't rely on my upbringing for wisdom...My husband would say the same. We're both orphans. She said, with a heavy exhale. We're doing our best to raise our girls in a place where they are loved, and where they can learn, but our pack is too small.

She paused. 

We could use your help.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
She frowned at what she heard. She only had a small amount of time on her paws.

'What can I do? I have some time before my sons join me.'

She made her decision abruptly. She had always had a soft spot for new mothers - justifying it to herself with her need for connections. A pack with a young leader could be useful.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Hope crept into Ameline’s heart. The nameless stranger, it seemed, was inclined to lend aid, though it did appear that she had a timeline to adhere to. 

It felt wrong to ask- but it was something that she had promised the stranger that she would do. 

We need help. It felt weak to admit. She felt like a failure- but she was determined not to admit defeat and find a pack to join elsewhere. Our valley is bountiful, but we need more packmates. She explained. 

If you would join us…Your sons would also be welcome.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
Hearing her words she shook her head, her expression turning stern.

'I cannot join you, I have made promises to my family that I must uphold.' She responded, pausing before continuing with a compromise. 'I can stay until we have found a suitable territory in the mountains.' She stated. 'If you'll have me, I would like to help.'

It couldn't hurt. Her son's could very well handle things here - and with this she could begin creating relations between other groups in the area.
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
It seemed as if the woman had a temporary solution. And while she had obligations, she seemed willing enough to set them aside u til her own plans could be fully realized. 

I look forward to meeting you, in person. A grateful acceptance of the woman’s offer. Even if her presence was only temporary, it might give Bearclaw the chance at forming an alliance. I live in a sunken Valley, just beyond a flowering meadow at the feet of the mountain range. She explained. We will have food for you, when you arrive.
Pledged
Montagne de Ciguë
83 Posts
Ooc — Xenon
'I will leave as soon as things have settled here.'

Her response was short and simple. After waiting a short moment she rose to her paws, shaking out her fur before beginning the trek back the way she came.

Excited for the continuation of this <3 I know you have some other stuff going, so just tag me in a thread when you're ready and I'll be over!
Pledged
Bearclaw Valley
917 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Thank you for the howl thread! I’ll make a meeting thread soon :)

She would come.

Ameline would leave her post and report the good news to her husband and her children. While she knew she should be skeptical of the newcomer- as much as she was with any hopeful joiner- she felt that they had shared a moment, and that she could be trusted to join their ranks.