Two Eyes Cenote Dear Arkansas Daughter
Muat-riya
Fellahin
my story's gonna end with me dead
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Private 
For @Safiya <3

Machi knelt beside one of the tortoiseshell planters, his paws moving with precision as he tended to his hidden garden. The air inside the cave was thick with the mingled scents of damp earth and blossoms—mint’s sharp tang, the sweetly narcotic hint of poppy, the earthy notes of peyote, and the soothing, almost sleepy fragrance of chamomile and lavender. The patched sunlight spilled over the garden in a golden haze, illuminating the vibrant hues of blossoms and the pale green of leaves.

His nails, stained dark with soil, deftly pinched away the dead leaves and broken stems. The steady trickle of a stream flowed along one side of the cave, its soft, melodic gurgle providing a soothing backdrop to the quiet ritual of his gardening. There was a rhythm to his work, a sort of meditative trance that calmed his restless mind, keeping the darkness at bay.

The half-breed shifted to another shell, this one nestled closer to the wall where the light was softer, more diffused. The plants here were of great interest to him, having been planted from the seeds he had gathered with Legend. More delicate than the hardy desert flora, their heart-shaped leaves were a deep, forest green, and the buds were just beginning to form. Machi gently untangled the slender vines that had wound themselves too tightly, guiding them with care to latch onto the limestone wall, their tendrils eager to climb and explore.

Machi leaned closer to one of the buds, his breath slowing as he inspected it. His opal eyes narrowed slightly, studying the subtle signs of distress—a hint of yellowing at the edges, a faint wilting. A frown creased his brow. What could be the cause? Perhaps the soil was too dry, or lacking in some essential nutrients. He brushed a pad against one of the soft leaves, feeling the life pulsing beneath its surface, the resilience that belied their frail appearance. Perhaps once this was all over, he could travel into one of the nearby forests to collect better soil.

He whispered to the blooms, his voice low and soothing, weaving a melody from half-remembered words of his youth—a song of encouragement and hope. The plants seemed to respond, their leaves swaying gently, as if in acknowledgment of his words. Perhaps it was just a trick of the light, or perhaps they truly were listening. Machi chose to believe the latter, finding comfort in the thought.

He carefully tilted the plant toward the sun, allowing it to drink in the brilliant rays. Not too much now, he whispered, a hint of amusement in his voice. Just enough to keep you strong. He dipped his paws into the cool, flowing water, letting the stream rinse away the earth before cupping a handful to sprinkle over the roots. The droplets sparkled like diamonds as they caught the sunlight.

With the plants tended, Machi slipped out of the cave and into the ruined chamber beyond, inhaling deeply. Legend had been here, but for what purpose he did not know. The possibility that she was angry had never been denied, and that troubled the dog greatly. He missed her presence, her companionship. It was a longing that settled deep in his chest, a constant reminder of what he had lost and what he still hoped to find—if she still even cared to give it after all these months.

Returning to the cave, he carried a half-empty shell of ground pigment, carefully pushing the boulder aside just enough to squeeze through. With the powder in hand, he seated himself at the stream’s edge, using the crystalline surface as a mirror. After all, there was little else to do but wait.

suck the rot right out of my bloodstream
Muat-riya
Mazoi
There is always unintended consequences
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
There were many secrets to be found throughout even Muat Rya. And Safiya until she had duties assigned, found comfort in the unknown. In the search. And being that she wasn't fearful of anything, she often went places other's didn't go. Barring no thought to the consequences of such things. If there was one, she'd learn from it. 

She was a little disappointed that the beastie Machi hadn't sought her out. She had thought that they were friends. But he had kept to himself since being released. There were a lot of whispered meetings and things her father was doing. Safiya was fast learning there were things about other's she didn't care for. And a deep sense of right and wrong had begun to surface and she found injustices made her angry. They boiled under her skin and made her want to fight back. But she said nothing. Just took it all in and schemed. 

Today was no different, she was lurking about, searching and seeking. Sea green eyes fell on a form she thought she knew, but they were gone before she could blink. Her nose wrinkled and she followed or went towards where she had last seen.

She felt around the area, sniffed. She could smell water, soil, and Machi. But she saw nothing. Until finally a small crevice of a rock caught her eye and she wiggled through. Dirt staining her red sides.

Only to find more than she had knew was beyond. A soft little gasp of delight. Then Hello Beastie.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Scuttling footsteps echoed faintly from within the tunnel, breaking the serene quiet of the hidden garden. The soft patter of small feet moving swiftly over stone carried a promise—news. Machi’s ears perked up, heart quickening at the thought that perhaps, just perhaps, the plan was moving along quicker than anticipated. A wave of relief washed over him, tinged with a sharp edge of nausea. He had prepared for this moment, yet the reality of it still left him unsteady.

He turned to face the approaching figure, expecting to see Eset’s piercing gaze, those eyes that always seemed to burn with a fire fierce and relentless. But instead, he was met with a different pair of eyes—soft, seaspun green, filled with a mix of curiosity and fearless determination that could belong to only one in Muat-Riya. His breath caught in his throat as he recognized her.

Safiya, he breathed, standing up so suddenly that he nearly knocked the shell of shimmering powder into the stream, only managing to catch it just as the side splashed into the clear water, resulting in some unfortunate spillage. His heart pounded in his chest, not just from the surprise of seeing her but from the implications of her presence here. The garden was a secret—his secret—and only Eset knew of its existence. That this child had found her way here sent a ripple of alarm through him.

What are you doing here? he asked, his voice threaded with concern. He kept his tone gentle, despite the unease winding through it. Safiya’s presence was dangerous, not just for her but for him as well. If she had found her way into his sanctuary, others could follow.

Did Lady Eset send you? He didn’t want to think about what the Hebsut might do if she discovered the child here, or worse, if the poisons that had once been hidden among the blooms hadn’t been moved in time.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Her footsteps moved loudly through this cavern. She frowned at it. Not a good place to plan an ambush if someone ever wanted to do so. But her father and the other Mazoi, which now included her. Would never allow anyone past the borders so. This was a thought that didn't quite belong here. 

Safiya stared back. The look of shock on his face, pulling a frown onto her own. Was she not supposed to be here. The crevice was there. She had seen him disappear down into it. Well his fur. So? And anyone with a proper nose could find him if they used it right.

Sea green gaze followed the trajectory of the shell. There was something in it that she didn't recognize. And she wanted a closer look, but given how he was acting. Well.

Safiya lifted her head, a small bit of shamelessness slipping into her gaze and then swiftly leaving. I followed you of course.

No she didn't. I came on my own. No one saw me.

He green gaze fell to the plants beyond him and she studied them. She didn't know them. And her mother liked flowers, but these were not flowers that seemed familiar. She traced their delicate stems and the flowering of them. Though she did lift her nose. 

That one flower doesn't look to good. Mama says fertilization, soil, sun and water. It's missing something.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
No one saw me.

I should have known if anyone was going to find me, it would be you, Machi said softly, his voice holding a note of amused resignation. The corners of his mouth curled into a small smile, a sigh of relief escaping his lips. The shadows receded from his face as he spoke, revealing a touch of weariness that seemed to be near constant as of late.

I can't say I'm not glad of it, however, he continued, his eyes sparkling with a hint of mischief. I've been rather hard-pressed for company in recent weeks. His voice took on a more wistful tone, betraying a loneliness he rarely admitted, even to himself. I almost miss the prison, he joked, a half chuckle trickling from his maw.

Her gaze had wandered to the container, and he followed it, holding up the small shell for her to see. Here, he said, tilting it gently towards her, revealing the crushed ruby pigment inside. The vibrant red shimmered under the fractured light, a stark contrast to the dull, earthy tones around them. Makeup, he explained, placing the container carefully on top of a large stone, ensuring it was out of the way and wouldn’t be knocked over again.

No, it doesn't, Machi concurred, I'm not sure if it agrees with the soil. He glanced back at Safiya, his opal eyes searching hers with sparked curiosity. Do you enjoy gardening?

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Safiya smiled, sharp toothed and determined. I can find most anything if I set my mind to it. And I am learning to be a surprise. I was told to use my size to my advantage so I try too. And besides who is gonna look twice at a pup. She shrugged a shoulder then. It was true. She was no true prize. She was half way to a yearling and still held the bulk and build of someone much younger. She doubted she'd get much bigger. And it didn't matter anyway.

She looked him over with a sad cast. Why didn't anyone spend time with you? You were wrongly imprisoned. So. That means clean slate.

She wrinkled her maw. Yuck. That place was dirty and depressing. You should not be there.

She nodded. I've seen my mother wear that a time or two. I don't much like it. Seems frivolous. But I suppose not everyone is like me.

She ghosted forward and looked over the plants, but didn't touch them. I don't know much about it. But my mother likes flowers and so does Tiye. I find them resilient and brave though.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Machi listened closely, his ears pricked forward in keen attention, every twitch betraying his curiosity. That's very clever of you, he remarked warmly. There was a glint in his opal eyes, a flicker of something like respect. Being underestimated is one of the most useful things one can cultivate, he continued, a soft smile curling at the corners of his mouth conspiratorially.

He paused, his expression thoughtful, considering her question carefully, uncertain how best to navigate such a delicate topic. I don’t think many within these walls particularly enjoy my presence, he confessed with a chuckle, a thread of humor weaving through his tone. The half-breed's shoulders lifted in a small, resigned shrug, a gesture that spoke of acceptance of his role within the palace. I can't blame them, really. I dare say my reputation precedes me, he added with a wry sigh, his paw drifting up to brush over the faint marks on his muzzle where thorns had once embedded themselves.

I'm glad you think so, he said, a light laugh escaping him as he playfully tapped a forepaw against her shoulder. It was a rather depressing place, wasn’t it? His laughter softened the edges of his words, the gentle rhythm of it filling the space between them.

Indeed, very much so, Machi agreed, his opal eyes sparkling with mirth. But that's what makes it so fun, don’t you think? It serves no purpose other than to bring a bit of joy. At least, that’s how I see it.

Tilting his head slightly, he studied her expression, his curiosity piqued. Would you like to learn? he asked softly.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She nodded her head. I'm not gonna be very big for a Mazoi. So I gotta show em all I can do it and do it better. She nodded then determined. The confidence of youth and fearlessness leaking into her every word. 

Safiya shook her head side to side. Then their loss right. If they can't see the good things right in front of them. A shrug then. Tiye is like that. She only sees surface level of things. But sometimes, you gotta look deeper.

Safiya had learned that just while walking around quietly and observing those around here. There was much that went under the surface here in the palace. Much. 

She nodded her head. It was. A glimmer of sympathy in her gaze for what he must have dealt with.

She looked up at him and nodded. OKay but only if you teach me all of the flowers even possibly dangerous ones. Cause if I am gonna learn it. I wanna learn it all.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Why stop at Mazoi? Machiavelli purred, his smile curling with a cunningly. You have the potential to ascend even higher—to become the next Jodai, perhaps. His voice was smoother than silk. Do not temper your ambitions, my friend. Aim for the stars, for you are more than capable of reaching them.

Machi tilted his head slightly, the gesture thoughtful, as he tried to place a face to the familiar name. Tiye is your… sister, correct?

The half-breed’s grin widened, a mischievous glint in his opal eyes. I wouldn’t dream of it being any other way, he replied, the grin lingering. Then let us start with the dangerous ones, he suggested, his gaze sweeping over the array of plants that lined the cave wall. These here— he gestured toward a particularly ominous cluster of foliage, —are all very dangerous. Don’t even think about touching them, or our Hebsut will have my head faster than you can blink. No trial, straight to public spectacle. The half-breed chuckled softly, though there was an edge of seriousness in his tone, as if he wasn’t entirely joking.

He moved to another section of the garden. These, however, are safe, he assured her, his paw brushing gently over a cluster of lavender and releasing its calming fragrance into the air.

I deal mostly with plants that affect the mind, not the body, Machi explained, reaching for a small pouch that clinked softly with seeds. He held it out to her, letting her see the tiny specks nestled within. This is lavender, he said, his voice taking on a more tender tone. Doesn't it smell nice? It’s often used as a stress reliever—its scent is known to calm the nerves and ease the mind. But I think it will serve just as well as your first plant, don't you think?

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She tilted her head. She wasn't sire if she knew exactly what a jodai was. That is a head guard?

She didn't recognize it well. They only had Mazoi here she was fairly certain.

Safiya nodded and wrinkled her nose slightly. I love her. But we are very very different.

Ahe followed him towards the plants, but stayed back. Taking his words at whole value. She would not tempt fate. Or a punishment for her friend.

Safiya took a deep breath she liked this one. It smells nice. You mean I can take care of one? Would it help me calm someone in moment of ire?
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Indeed, Machi affirmed with a nod, his voice carrying a note of reflection. I suppose that once you earn your place among the Mazoi, you'll be sent to train under her, He continued, his gaze drifting thoughtfully around the chamber.

His thoughts lingered for a moment before he continued, his tone curious yet gentle. I see. But tell me, what of your other siblings? What are they like? As he spoke, he reached for an empty tortoiseshell planter, the smooth curve of its surface gleaming faintly in the fractured light. He carefully transferred a small amount of rich, dark soil into it, before turning back to her.

Of course, my friend, he assured her, his voice warm with encouragement. I’ll help you until you get the knack of it. Gardening takes time, but you'll learn soon enough. With a deft motion, he poked small holes into the soil with one pearl-pink nail, the indentations evenly spaced and ready to cradle the seeds. He gestured for her to drop a few into each one, a soft smile playing on his lips as he watched her.

I'm not sure it's quite that potent, he laughed lightly, his voice a soothing murmur in the quiet chamber as he covered the seeds with another careful pawful of soil. Some plants can do something similar, it's true, but those are among the more dangerous types. We'll save those lessons for when you're a bit older, I think.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Safiya made a small face. Yes I was told I would go to Akashingo. I was there once. Very busy. Busier than here.

Safiya frowned in thought thinking. Tiye wants to be fellahin. She is very prissy. Likes gossip, bossy. But she won't let other's be mean to us. Kheti and Kiya both want to be Mazoi, but they haven't practiced like me. But I think they'll get there someday. I hope if it's what they want for sure. Kheti is agreeable, and Kiya is annoying. But they're brothers. So i think that's supposed to be how they are.

Safiya watched with keen interest as he made a row of holes. She carefully placed the seeds in their new homes. pink tongue poking out just a little as she did so. Trying so hard to be gentle. They're so fragile.

She nodded her head. Okay.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Machi inclined his head in agreement, a faint smile curling at his lips. It is, he said, his voice carrying a light, thoughtful tone. The Pharaoh herself being present must only add to the excitement. A chance to meet her face-to-face? That is no small matter, my friend.

I'm afraid I don't have any siblings myself, he stated thoughtfully, but from what I've heard, I would have to concur.

He watched her as she carefully placed the seeds into the soil, letting out a puff of amusement at her intense concentration. Look at you, he said, his voice as soft as if he were speaking to the young lavender shoots themselves. What a natural! His gaze swept over her work, inspecting the tiny seeds nestled beneath the earth. The half-breed nodded in approval, a soft hum escaping his throat. You’ve done an amazing job, Safiya. There was a certain pride in his tone, and he wondered briefly what it might have been like to have a younger sibling of his own. Would they have been anything like the endearing little gardener? Would they have shared moments like this, kneeling beside the soil, growing something together?

It’s amazing, isn’t it? he asked with a smile that brightened his whole expression, eyes glimmering with lightheartedness. But I suppose it just goes to show—amazing things can come from the smallest places, hmm?

Fortunately for us, he continued, his voice taking on a softer, more instructive quality, lavender is a stubborn little plant—it thrives on sunlight and doesn’t need much water. As long as it’s kept dry, it’s quite forgiving. He straightened, reaching out to gently shift the planter, pulling it closer to the stream. Kneeling beside it, he trailed his dove-white paw through the cool water, the ripples spreading slowly as his thoughts seemed to follow them. After a moment, his gaze trailed back to her, a teasing note slipping into his tone. So, you won’t have to hover over it too much. Every few days will do. With a wink, he lifted his paw from the stream, letting the cool water drip from his palm into the soil.

His smile lingered, but his tone shifted, becoming more serious. He straightened, brushing the dampness from his fur, his expression softening into something more earnest. There is another thing, however, he began, his voice quieter now, as if what he was about to say carried more weight. He hesitated for a moment, choosing his words carefully. I don’t think your father would approve of you being here alone.

His gaze faltered, the lightheartedness from earlier slipping away as he sighed. I gave him... a very, very bad impression the last time we met, he admitted, and I have yet to apologize.

He paused, considering his next words. I want you to ask him if he’s alright with you coming here to garden. And if he isn’t, you can take the planter back with you, alright?

I’m not allowed to leave this room until nightfall for the time being but I will come and check on your progress as often as I can, he added, his tone lighter, though the tension hadn’t fully left his shoulders. No one save for the Hebsut and I are supposed to know about this room. His eyes flickered to the side. However, if your father wanted to come supervise... I think it would be alright to tell him.

He cast a glance toward the small crack in the wall, a playful glint returning to his eyes. That is, if he could even fit through the tunnel, he said with a slight chuckle, trying to ease the moment with a bit of humor.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Safiya nodded her head. Thoughtful. I haven't met her. But I hear she's nice. A small shrug of shoulders. It would be nice ot meet her i suppose, but also.

Fiya bit her lip unsure. Well I prefer wolves that I can talk to without misstep.

Safiya snorted. Siblings are irritating. Good to sometimes, but mostly irritating. And me and Mine are so different. Sometimes.

She tilted an ear. Sometimes i think maybe I was born wrong. I don't worry or get scared like them.

She grinned at his praise. Thanks.

She scuffed a toe a little embarrassed. She was tiny, but she was going places and doing things. Or so she hoped. 

Safiya studied his expression. The graveness of his eyes and the way his tone was no longer as lighthearted as it was. And she railed against it. She hated asking her father for anything. She shifted and buried her shoulders down. 

Father doesn't let me do a lot of things like he lets Tiya and Kheti. She frowned in thought and sighed. But she took a deep breath. But I'll ask if it makes you feel better.

A trill of laughter. No baba is built bigger than most.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Yes, I understand. The dog's expression softened as he listened to her reservation. I believe we all do, but you must know—diplomacy is a skill you’ll need to hone. Akashingo will no doubt provide plenty of opportunities for it.

A low hum escaped him, rumbling deep in his throat as his gaze drifted to a distant point as he considered the child's words. I suppose that would make you quite different from other children, yes. Courage is vital for a Mazoi—but, Machi's eyes sharpened slightly, fixing Safiya with a pointed look, fear is what keeps us alive.

He straightened slightly, his tone growing more serious. You will need to be mindful of that. When you are promoted, Safiya, there will be moments where the courage you possess could easily turn into recklessness. It’s a delicate balance.

It would make me feel much better if you spoke to him, he admitted, brushing a fallen leaf off the edge of one of the planters. But if he says no, I will speak to him myself. Although... Machi’s gaze flickered briefly with something like regret before settling again, he has only ever seen a rather... unfortunate side of me. His gaze dropped momentarily to his paws, the faintest crease of worry marring his otherwise smooth features.

He exhaled slowly, shaking his head. If he refuses, I have no doubt it is because he truly believes it to be in your best interest. Your safety is, and should always be, his priority. He straightened, offering Safiya a reassuring nod. But we shall see, won’t we? One step at a time, my dear.

A faint smile tugged at his lips as she laughed. It would be most unfortunate if he were to get stuck.

The dog settled onto his stomach then, and gestured for her to make herself comfortable as well. Tell me then, what have you been getting up to while I have been away? He asked, wishing he had some sort of refreshment to offer.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She gave a soft sigh if reli3f
 Perhaps it was strange to have such a friend in the man. But she was unsure who to ask or how to be kind. And the only other children her age that she was aware of,  were her siblings amd well they didn't think like she.

She nodded. I know, but I just don't feel it. I feel curious or amgry or sad. But I'm never scared. Because.

She frowned. How do you say you just arent.

She peered up at him, eyes wide in her head and nodded. I will try and think before I act.

Safiya shrugged. Baba has seen the darkest of the dark. I don't think he will hold it against you.

She motioned the man closer. He's a big softie. She whispered.

I have been training. Meeting new wolves. Oh I climbed sky mesa! And I sparred with Meseba. He won, but i still tried.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
A big softie? Machiavelli hummed, a thread of amusement woven through his voice. I’ll have to remember that. The idea of the stern captain being anything less than thoroughly intimidating sparked the barest of smirks on his face.

What an incredible list of accomplishments! It sounds like you’ve been keeping yourself occupied, haven’t you? Yet, something in her recounting made his ears twitch, and a ripple of unease began to stir beneath the surface.

The half-breed’s curiosity sharpened, betraying a note of caution as he pressed on. You mentioned meeting new wolves? His voice remained as conversational as ever, though there was a subtle tension beneath it now. Are there newcomers? The question hung in the air, touched with the weight of old memories, his mind wandering back to that fateful night when Eira had spoken to Eset.

It was curious—no, unsettling—that Herod and his entourage had yet to arrive at the Blue Palace.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She smiled and nodded. Her dad was stern and no nonsense, but he also was a big softie, specifically with his children. No matter what.

She nodded. I was trying. I don't wanna be a fellahin. She twitched her ears. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a fellahin, it just isn't for me. She amended. She didn't want her friend thinking bad of himself. When she found what he did respectful her mom was one after all. It was just not something that interested her.

A small nod. A wolf named Soto brought gifts for Eset when i was at borders. Legend was there. Then he brought more for me and I've seen him once or twice since then when I was training. He was just there. He doesn't speak very good common.
Muat-riya
Fellahin
241 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Thank you for the thread! <33

Ah, I understand completely. It would be a shame to squander such dedication and talent on mere floor-scrubbing, Machi replied smoothly, wholly unoffended.

Machiavelli did not like the sound of this wolf. Unease settled within his chest, though he offered only a measured, Is that so? His tone was calm, but his mind whirred. No, this didn’t sit well with him—not one bit. He made a mental note to have a word with Eset.

Rising gracefully to his feet, the half-breed stretched out his long limbs before stepping forward to nudge her planter into the full embrace of the sun. He surveyed it with a thoughtful nod. I have faith it will flourish splendidly, he said, his voice warm with reassurance.

But alas, my dear, he turned his attention back to the girl, I'm afraid if you stay any longer others might begin to wonder where you've slipped off to.

Muat-riya
Mazoi
142 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Anytime. You're welcome

Safiya chuckled and shook her head. She was inclined to agree. But she wouldn't not do it if it helped say him for some reason. Or her family even Tiye.

Safiya sighed, but nodded. I know. She leaned forward to bump the male in the head with a soft nudge. See ya soon Beastie.