Stone Circle someone
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
Figured I'd have him return home from his hunting trip in time to hear about Keoni, hope this is ok!

Larus had turned around after a day or so of lingering in the maplewood, and from there it took him another few to get within earshot of Easthollow again. There would be a days march before he made it back to the borders but he was making good time — yet as he loitered within the heart of the Downs, he thought he heard a note upon the wind.

It was distant but powerful, and sorrowful. It sounded like @Valette and that made Larus wonder exactly what he'd missed while he had been adventuring northward. He decided not to waste time. He summoned up the rest of his energy reserves and would not stop until he was back among the wolves of Easthollow.

As the standing stones came in to view he was panting heavily, his limbs were aching, but he was happy to have returned without issue. The first thing he did was find some water to satiate his thirst as well as prevent dehydration, and after that Larus began scouring the territory for the alpha female. He did not have to look far. Although Valette's scent was the most prevalent, luck placed him in her path.

He approached her slowly because of his weariness, carrying upon his face a look of concern. Valette, he murmured as a sullen greeting, I heard a howl—did something happen?

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
As usual, Valette was watching the herds from Stone Circle. The female leaned against Steady's Stone while she watched. Though the female wasn't really watching. Her thoughts were somewhere else and drifting. The dark female had a tough time dealing with Keoni's loss. She took the girl in as her own and cared for her. She truly felt that Keoni was her daughter.

Valette's ears moved to the approaching sounds of a wolf coming closer. They pulled her from her thoughts. The alpha female turned her head to see the newest recruit, Larus. "Hey Larus," she greeted. She sadly nodded. "My daughter Keoni, and our pack healer. She died," Valette spoke with a broken tone. "We don't know if someone caused it... if she was murdered... but, I don't believe she was. Her lips were weirdly swollen. I think she took a wrong herb or something," Valette stated.
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger

As Valette explained she seemed to be filled with a deeply rooted sorrow, which was fitting. But at the same time Larus couldn't fathom what he would be feeling should anyone in his family succumb to such an end. Then again, he didn't really have anyone.

He frowned and his golden brow creased. I'm sorry, the boy murmured. He wasn't sure what to say or to do, so he didn't say anything for a while after that. He chose instead to sit quietly with his leader. Then, breaking the stillness after a long few moments of silence, he said, If there is anything you need — but he didn't finish that sentiment. It was obvious that Valette's family would support her through this moment. Plus, what could he offer her that would make any difference? He was a newcomer who hadn't even known of Valette's daughter in the first place. He meant well but all he could do was be present.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head briefly in thanks. It was kind of the new male to come to her. He probably didn't even know her, but then again, maybe he did. Valette wasn't sure who Keoni would hang out with. Maybe they were friends as well. She liked to think most members of her pack were friends. "That is very kind, Larus. Though i think I will just need to grieve," she admitted.

"It isn't nice when someone passes away, it is even worse when you were close to that wolf." Valette knew everyone had probably someone they missed. "But we will remember them and continue our lives." She did that with Steady as well, only because she made herself think that was what he wanted. She was pretty sure that was what he wanted. "Have you ever lost someone?," she asked then. "You don't have to reply if you don't want to."
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger

He felt suddenly lost in the conversation, which didn't help anyone. Valette spoke of loss as if it were something so easily forgiven, as if time would mend her heart after the death of her daughter. Surely that would happen but for Larus, who had yet to see anyone in his life actually die, it sounded so alien to him. Valette seemed like such a hopeful, kind, and forgiving woman — all of which the young man appreciated — but he didn't know what to say when she asked him about his own losses. He had lost a lot in his short life. The trouble was, he didn't truly know just how much.

But he would oblige her as best he could.

I think I have, came his initial response. It sounded a bit cryptic and he took on a small look of disdain, frowning at himself for a second as he thought of the best way to phrase things — he'd never really told anyone about his life before, not really.

I've never had much of a family. For the longest time I thought my parents — my biological parents anyways, — I thought they hated me and my siblings. Someone told me once that they wanted me dead — as he said this he looked at Valette, not for sympathy or anything, but to make sure what he was speaking of did not disturb her. He was talking about attempted murder with someone who had just lost their own child after all. But I was rescued by a woman. She cared for me, and.. I like to remember her as a mother figure, even if we weren't related. He sighed as he remembered the dark-faced witch by the sea, the foggy recollection of his oceanside baptism floating to the surface in a flash. I think she might be gone. So I suppose... I suppose I lost her a long time ago.

There were others, of course. Kaskara, Scimitar, Bazi. Saena and Warbone. Saghani. But he couldn't think beyond the images of Caiaphas filling his mind; they were faceless, shifting, and fragmented. The memories of a little boy within the mind of an adult who had, at one point, done his best to hide from them.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
It felt good to talk with Larus about this. She didn't know him so well and with him elaborating on the topic she felt closer to her packmate. The male seemed wise for his age as well. The way he spoke about the topic. Valette had endured much loss in her early life. Perhaps, it helped that the first death she saw was of someone who was done with living life. It felt as if her mother at the time had been saved. Still, it was tough to not have that person with you anymore.

Valette was slightly shocked to hear that he hadn't felt wanted by his family at all. Her motherly side instantly wanted to smother him with love. Valette needed to remind herself that this male was an adult like her and not a child that could be smothered. "That is horrible," she admitted but her glance was not disgusted. It had some pity though she didn't want to look too pitiful at him.

Valette was glad that he found another mother though. It was much like Keoni and Nikai. They were on the run and hiding out at Easthollow while their mother was murdered. Valette raised them as her own. She still saw them as her own. Hence why it was so hard to lose Keoni at this moment. "Well, if it makes you feel better you will have a family with the Easthollow pack," she spoke. She was definitely starting to respect Larus more. "Loss is such a strange feeling. It isn't like feeding a hunger or quenching a thirst. I don't know what you can do about it to stop feeling it," she admitted. "Except time, perhaps."
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger

Here was Larus trying to be a comfort to his leader, but somehow he'd turned it around and it was Valette comforting him. He felt wrong for accepting her kindness in this moment, but grateful all the same. It felt like he had found a family here in Easthollow even if he was still pretty fresh to their ranks; he would do his best to honor this family. The mistakes of his old self would never resurface, he would do his best to be a better version of himself for all of them.

The man smiled thinly, and while it wasn't a happy smile, it was a sympathetic one. Time should help, and you have a strong family around you too - that's good. He fell quiet then, unsure of what else he could say that would ease things for his alpha. So, he let that silence blossom and relaxed in to it. If she felt the need to speak then he would be here but if Valette wanted silence, he could give her space as well.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette could only agree with his words. The alpha female nodded her head and then smiled. "It is good to have you back," she quirked up his lips. "And good that you showed interest." She was glad to have such a capable young man in her pack. Even though he might not be wanted by his biological parents but something must have stuck with the male. She really liked this new member. "Let me feed you, at least, after you travels. We have some caches that need to be emptied anyhow," she smiled.
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
We could probably fade it here? Or on your reply!

Larus smiled thinly to the alpha and nodded, accepting the offer; it was a good idea though, and gave him an idea. I'll go fetch something and split it with you right now - how's that? If she was going to offer him anything, he wasn't going to take it without making sure her needs were suitably met first. Valette had lost someone dear to her. It was up to the pack to support her in this time, not the other way around.

Without waiting for a response from her, he was up and roaming away - vanishing in to the dark of some trees as he sought a nearby cache. Some time later he would return carrying a hunk of flesh between his teeth. It was easy to share with Valette - whether it was food or tales of his past. He was glad for it.