Fox's Glade I saw a light.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
After the big trip around the valley Ibis felt much more comfortable with herself and her abilities, so a day-trip to the neighboring glade wasn't as scary to her now. If she ran in to any trouble then she could always go to Easthollow for help; but she didn't expect anything negative to occur, and was very excited to be going on this solo trip. She had wanted to investigate the surroundings for new plants and pretty things when she was here last, but her work as a messenger came first so she had to put that aside. Now, though, Ibis could do as she pleased — and the sense of freedom was invigorating.

The hills that led towards Easthollow were easy enough to identify (even for someone as directionally-challenged as Ibis), and she skirted their border as she made her way. Then there were the trees of the forest; the composition of this forest was similar enough to the Hollow not to be frightening to her, although the soil wasn't nearly as damp or moss-hewn. She wove between the spacious white-barked trees until their population was overwhelmed with thicker, darker types; pine was easily identified among them but beyond that Ibis didn't have a clue. It smelled nice.

Or, it did, until she was hit in the face by a rotten, musky smell unlike anything she'd inhaled before. This made her freeze in place and then recoil with an emphatic scrunch to her snout. Ew! What -- she gasped, coughed, and looked around with a squint, as one might do after inhaling someone else's burp. After a moment or two of snorting and gasping she took notice of something moving in the undergrowth near her position — a flash of ruddy red-brown — but didn't choose to investigate.
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
perhaps we can have this count as a scout thread for both? :eyes: 
Back in the rut of her normal routine, Ira trotted along the borders making sure all was secure for Easthollow. One could never be too sure with pups around after all. However, the usually serene and quite trip was interrupted by the smell of a fox not too far. It wasn't at the borders, but she still did not like the idea of the mangey creature hanging around so close, so she'd investigate further.

Upon closer investigation, she found a lighter colored pelt in the distance. Much too big to be a fox, she grew closer with her tail raised only to soon recognizing the scent of their ally pack and switch to a more friendly stance. Ira gave a low bark as she approached to announce her presence, only slowing once she was a few paces away. The mountain wolf gave a small nod in acknowledgment to the other woman's presence, Greetings. You come from the neighboring pack, correct? Her gaze shifted to follow Ibis' gaze and squinted at the rustling undergrowth. Have you discovered something?
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She had not been reared with violence in mind, even for hunting. At the very most Ibis could track and detain small creatures, but she relied on the caches to stay fed and wasn't mindful of her true nature as a wolf. The shuddering of bushes did draw her attention, cause her ears to pivot, pupils to dilate imperceptibly as the creature hurried away. Ibis fell in to a natural stalk but was drawn from it — made to pause — when a voice inturrupted her already dubious concentration.

When she turned around she was blinking quickly, almost like waking from a dream, and saw the approaching figure with their domineering swagger. The innocent girl didn't think for a second that she was in danger, but she felt a small apprehension in her belly and a raising of the fur on the back of her neck when she caught sight of the mountain of a wolf.

Um—w-what? She murmured, but even mid-response her brain registered the commentary and she knew to correct herself. Oh, yes, I'm from the Hollow. I smelled something gross. the bushes rustled further away, the creature stuck between Ibis and the newcomer and unsure of which route would take it to safety. Ibis naturally slid out of the prowl she had assumed, not aware of the change in her posture as she essentially disengaged, and smiled warmly at the giantess. My name is Ibis!
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Upon closer inspection, this wolf was much younger than she originally thought. Not really a kid, but she wasn't exactly an adult yet either. She confirmed her suspicions however, which meant there was no need to fret or be hostile. This was a friend of Easthollow. Ira quickly stored the name in her head as she leaned a bit closer to the hidden creature, sniffing cautiously. I go by Ira. If the smell you are referring to comes from a nearby source, I can easily inform you that it belongs to a fox. To punctuate her explanation she slammed a paw into the growth hoping to startle the creature out of its hiding spot. Its blood is not necessary, she just wants it gone.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The wolf sweeps closer and inspects their surroundings, while Ibis watches as if transfixed. The way they move is confident, and while they are larger and older, they make next to no sound. They are so unlike Ibis — this Ira — that the young girl immediately feels small by comparison. (She is like, half her size, but beyond that feels like she's talking with a dragon or something mythological while she is a puny mortal.)

There was that smell again. It draws Ibis' attention back to the greenery, and she hears Ira explain: I can easily inform you that it belongs to a fox. The word means next to nothing to Ibis; although there is a vague sense that she should recognize it. Once, someone had tried to teach Ibis and Okeanos about the fox, but it was so long ago - and she so young - that it was a memory lost to her mental depths.

A fox. She repeats, taking a deep breath so that the awful smell cements itself in her brain with that word for future use; she feels ill almost immediately because of the strength of that smell, but toughs it out. While she tries not to gag, she asks: Is it bad? It smells really bad. she clears her throat a few times and tries not to seem so inexperienced, lifting her chin a touch, emulating Ira a little bit more as the conversation progresses. I'll help—somehow. I'd like to get a look at it.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The roan woman glanced down to the younger wolf and assumed from her words she had never seen a fox up close. No big deal. If she can chase it out into the open, Ibis will have plenty of time to take in the looks. Dangerous to an extent, they are more of a worry for pups. Wolves like you and me have no real worries, especially in groups. They are more likely to flee if adults are around. Since the fox seemed to be frozen, she lunged forward, snapping her jaws into the brush until she convinced the creature it was better off elsewhere.

Once it exited she would watch to make sure it did not flee towards either of their territories. She felt no need to comment on the smell, it was unpleasant, but something she was used to. They look almost like a small wolf, but usually come in red and brown hues. Longer and more narrow muzzle, bushy tail. Nasty bite if you are not careful.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The more Ira explained, the less Ibis really wanted to know about the creature; but it was too late, she was already diving towards the bushes to flush it out and soon enough there was a flash of red-brown again. The fox zoomed for safety and almost ran in to Ibis, who tensed up.

Not good for puppies, she recited in her mind, nasty bite, little red devils — and for a few seconds they were nearly eye-to-eye. The fox was exactly as described and all Ibis could think upon initially staring at it was, how pretty! Then the moment broke; the fox ducked and zoomed away through the glade.

Ibis was left staring at its departure point and let out a breath she hadn't meant to hold. Wooow, it was so quick! And sort-of cute, like a pup, but a little bigger— just shy of her own puny size actually. She looked from the fox's egress route to Ira and back a few times and then realized, oh. I didn't really... help... Did I? Sorry.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira let her eyes trail after the fox until she could safely deem it not a threat. It was then she stepped out of the bush and turned her attention back to the yearling who seemed to be apologizing for some reason. I suppose it could be considered cute. Do not fret. It just needed to be spooked. Like she said earlier, the fox was no real threat to either of them, even if Ibis was quite small. She could have done what she did if Ira never arrived.

The mountain wolf sat back on her haunches and tilted her head as she recalled upon her last visit to the Hollow. She never did learn as much as she had wanted originally. Perhaps now was as good an opportunity as any. So how has your pack faired now that Winter has passed? Any births?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
How did someone grow up to be so big, strong, and powerful? Someone willing to throw themselves in to the wilderness and give chase to demons the way Ira did, as if it were the simplest thing in the world? Maybe Ibis was raised wrong. Maybe it was because of her size and lack of brawn, but could she eventually be a warrior like this woman? This giant who reminded her strongly of her own father? Not likely. The girl wasn't built the same way and even if she coveted that sense of confidence and power, she knew she'd never make it as a guardian of any sort. But she felt the strong pull of jealousy deep down — something Ibis had not felt since she'd been very small and wished she could be as pretty as Eleuthera. It was a similar experience for her now however she wanted the pride inherent within Ira, the composure, the strength. She didn't want to be a useless lump as she felt now.

It just needed to be spooked, Ira tried to calm the feelings inside of her with these small comments, feigning humility while she emerged from the forest's shadow-black bushes, brave as can be. As the topic shifted back to things Ibis understood and excelled at, she felt a little better — but still, in the back of her mind, wondered about what could have been.

We have been well. There are two litters in our pack: my father's new trio, and my uncle Rannoch's batch. Ibis recited this with a little of her usual good cheer, although it felt a little scripted for her to announce this; she had actively tried to spread the good news only a week ago and had travelled to Easthollow for that express purpose, and so to have to repeat herself made her feel strange; inadequate, maybe. Had she not done a good enough job the first time around? Korei told me that your pack has kids too. she added with a thin smile.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
For someone like Ira, it never even crossed her mind that the way she carried herself could be admired. On the contrary, she was used to people thinking less of her for being "a stick in the mud". Luckily she paid no mind to the opinions of others as she had better things to do. Why get involved in unnecessary drama when she could be securing borders? Catching a small meal? It was always a waste of her energy.

Her mind was not focused on this, however. Instead, the roan wolf's attention centered around the new additions of the Hollow. So there are many little ones about, I see...you know Korei? Whenever the two had spoken, this news never seemed to reach her ears. Then again she had been preoccupied...between traveling to Moonspear, pupsitting and...wherever Evergreen vanished to, she had been more focused on Easthollow admittedly than their allies. It's true we have four. Quite a pawful, but there's plenty of us to keep watch.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The woman seemed surprised by her affiliation with the pale sweet-heart. Korei came to visit the Hollow and we became fast friends, or she'd like to think so, since the pair shared a love of flowers and pretty things. I was thinking about bringing her some samples of the local flora from the Hollow and explaining their uses someday, but, maybe I should leave that for Gannet -- as her commentary pealed away from her and she became thoughtful of the handsome man, Ibis grew distracted. She didn't want to take away from his own plans to travel and to learn, even though she'd have really enjoyed spending time with Korei. It was worth thinking about later.

Maybe when all the kids were older there could be a — A playdate! She blurts, and realizes her thoughts have gotten away from her; she had missed the comment about the kids being a pawful because of her wandering imagination and now felt a little bad for being distracted. I mean, maybe when the kids are all older, we can have a party or something. Let them play while we catch up? It sounded like it could be fun; of course they'd have to introduce the idea to their respective leadership, but Ibis didn't see the harm in it. But we gotta make sure that, wherever we meet up, its free of foxes! Ira would be good at that part!
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ah so Korei had made her own trip over to the Hollow at some point. She shouldn't be surprised, the woman was overly sweet. There really was no good reason for someone to dislike the white wolf. Ibis mentioned bringing flowers and explaining their purpose so she must be interested in healing too. Something Korei dabbled in if she recalled correctly. I do not see a reason that you both could not visit? Surely the more the merrier, or at least that is how the saying goes--

The mountain wolf recoiled slightly at the sudden outburst, more so from shock than an annoyance, but who wouldn't be surprised? It took Ira a moment to catch up with the moving conversation, but soon a spark lit in her eyes. I think that would be wonderful. She offered a small smile as she tried to put together a list of safe locations nearby. Perhaps the meadow? I can definitely suggest the activity to Valette. It would be a good chance for our packmates to mingle and learn more about each other. I sadly admit that aside from location and leadership, I hold very little knowledge of your pack.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She was excited about the idea, so much so that Ibis forgot about the weird smell in the air and the dealings with the fox. She wondered where they could meet up - maybe in one of the territories, there was ample space. Or would a neutral territory be more appropriate? Somewhere in-between? Her mind buzzed with thoughts and yet she contained her enthusiasm and focused on Ira, not wanting to be rude.

I will ask my dad and my uncle, see if I can start getting something organized! With that settled she turned towards the patch of forest that had been her entry point to the glade and began to mentally plot her way home; Ibis was usually quite bad at directions but she refused to get lost this time, her goal was too important. I'll pop by again in a few days to see how you've made out on your end - is that a good idea?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ibis seemed to be retreating already. It was unfortunate, she was hoping to maybe learn more while they were talking, but she could prioritize this event first. After all, Ibis said she'd be back in a few days. There would be plenty of time then to inquire about the Hollow. That works for me. If you'd like to meet here we can although you're more than welcome in Easthollow as an ally. I'm usually on the borders if you howl.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Her tail fanned behind her as she listened, eager to get a move on - and unsurprisingly, unaware that Ira was hoping for more conversation. Ibis had a goal in mind now and she was distracted by it, leading her to cut the conversation short. She was young and somewhat impatient even though she meant well, so maybe it was her inexperience overwhelming her. Either way she was already thinking about the best way to approach the logistics of a party shared between the packs.

I'll come back soon, promise! She assured. Before Ira could respond again, Ibis was already striding hastily away; and when the petite girl found herself exposed upon the hills adjacent to the glen, she'd break out in to an easy run with the intent of getting home swiftly. She needed to get the plan in motion before she forgot or became distracted by other duties!
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira would stand watch as the girl headed back towards the hollow. Once she was out of sight she would simply shake her head letting a smile grace her lips. Ah, how the young were excitable. The roan woman turned back towards the edges of Easthollow to finish her patrol. She would find Valette once she was sure the rest of the borders were secure.