Haunted Wood I'll Meet You in the Park, I'll Be Calm and Collected
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
For a week Revui was left to his own devices. A week spent sleeping as much as he could (which was very little, as he did not trust a single sound or passing shadow in this place), with the occasional toss of a pitiful scrap of meat in to the pit to keep him from starving entirely. He didn't know why they bothered; if they wanted him dead they should send someone down to face him, and be done with everything. He did not want to die, but Revui was a simple-minded creature—a brute, a soldier, all brawn all little bark, as he had no use for making excessive noise. He had learned from the best that Moonspear had to offer and he still retained confidence in his prowess, even after losing against a pair of shadow-clad warriors in the way that he did. All he could do in the pit was ruminate over his loss and plot—as best he could with the prehistoric mind he had been born with—the demise of all that crossed him.

He'd not slept well the previous night; it was difficult to tell if the preternatural disquiet was a byproduct of the constant patrols done by the wolves of the woods, or the quaking of the earth, but it was almost too much to bear. Maybe it was a ploy to send him in to fits of madness. Whatever the purpose for the unnatural emptiness around him, Revui could hardly bear it and he was left to stare at the walls of the pit, or the floor, or the stars overhead if he could manage it—until the first trails of light crept between the trees to meet him. That morning there was frost on the earth and a bite to each breath, and his entire body was stiff.

Someone came stalking close to the ledge above him again, but this time it wasn't one of the shadows. The deep fulvous tone of the stranger's coat looked nearly black with the grey light of dawn, but in time there was more to see: a flourish of red that reminded Revui of blood and fresh meat, making his hunger more palpable. He took a few slow and steady breaths as the wolf found a slope and climbed down in to the pit with him. If he had been fed properly he would have charged straight for them—alas, these beasts knew what they were doing as they kept the best meat for themselves, a tactic he might have even applauded if he had been more aware. The wolf was vaguely familiar; it took a few moments, wherein she crept closer, before Revui identified her as one of the combatants from the fight, and lifted his lip to flash her a crocodile smile, reminding her that his teeth had managed to do some damage then, too.

But they both knew he was too weak to fight—if a fight was what she'd come for.

The woods have always been filled with these soft doe-eyed things;
with hearts beating for the arrow, the bullet, the lance.

I have always been the huntsman.  ⤑

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'll Meet You in the Park, I'll Be Calm and Collected - by Revui (Ghost) - October 09, 2019, 11:42 PM