Sunbeam Lair i want to be anywhere but here
Private 
This place is too familiar for his liking, though he doesn't mention that to @Kratos. Swiftcurrent Creek must be near, he knows, and he isn't sure how he feels about that. For now, he purposefully leads his mate away, their path hugging the side of the mountains for now. They travel in silence, mostly; it's a welcome change, and reminds him of the days he'd spent traveling with Helios, though he tries not to think about his brother. Thinking about Helios reminds him that he'd forgotten that search amidst all the chaos in Neverwinter Forest, and that reminds him of Phillip — poor, forgotten Phillip, who he'd briefly gone back for only to realize his scent at the borders was stale. He's failed far too many people by now to allow himself to linger on thoughts of them. If he did, he would drown in his regrets — and he has to focus on making sure he doesn't fail Kratos, too.
An opening in the mountains draws his attention away from his thoughts. He halts suddenly with ears perked, glad for the distraction. Look, a cave, He says, glancing briefly to Kratos with a playful sparkle in his eyes. Then he's off, bolting for the entrance of the cave with every intention of making his mate catch him.
common || « french »
thoughts, they are like restless beasts in my head
time, it slowly kills me in my cold bed
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
It’s not rare that they travel in silence—more normal than anything, and there are few moments either pipes up with some comment on the wild. Usually Kratos making a snarky comment, but for now, he lets the silence sink in—following the silver with ease and a lazy walk that he stretches with his limbs and bulk.
It’s ahead that something seems to capture his mate’s attention. Vying away from one particular location, as if heading east would bring about a spell of bad luck. Kratos doesn’t mind, because east is closer to Rothskel and he’s content to stay away from it.
A cave, however, is what Zephyr ends up finding. And there isn’t any moment for Kratos to comment before he’s off—sprinting towards the mouth without a care in the world. Kratos gives an amused snort, before he’s gone from his lazy pace to bolting after him.
First one to reach it wins.
He's pleased when Kratos responds with a challenge, and at first, he goes a little easy on him. He knows he's much faster than his rather bulky mate, a natural advantage it's taken him some time to truly see even after Kratos had pointed it out — it'd be too easy to leave him in the dust, he thinks. So he lets him trail just behind him for a bit, until he gets bored of holding back.
Unfortunately, his change of heart doesn't go quite as planned. He speeds up, hoping to zoom ahead of Kratos and win the race easily, but it seems his mate has gotten a good momentum behind him. Zephyr creeps ahead and widens the distance slightly, but not as much as he'd hoped.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Playing with his strings, Kratos knows from experience that the silver could speed faster than he goes. He settles behind him, just out of reach—a tease that eventually propels Zephyr onward. Kratos lengthens his stride, it is enough to keep up for a while, until Zephyr catches onto his ploy and widens the gap in the last moments before the wayfarer could react.
Crossing the finish line in second place, a loss is accepted with a displeased huff. His chest expands with a deep breath and an exhale soon to follow. A snap of teeth is directed at a wisp of a blacktip tail—reef sharks aren’t to be underestimated.
His victory is a little sour, not quite what he'd expected, but he feels a little better when he sees Kratos being a sore loser. He turns to offer a grin as his mate snaps at his tail, lunging in hopes of snagging a paw between his teeth before he darts away. He doesn't pay attention to where he's going at first, too focused on getting away from Kratos. Only the relevant parts of the cave truly register; the ground beneath his feet and ahead, the walls of the cave, an opening there — a tunnel, he realizes a moment before he plunges into shadows. It takes a few seconds for his eyes to adjust, but he never stops moving.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Cheeky little shit, the silver nips at a paw and then is off again—sweeping away so fickle while play remains on Kratos’ mind. He chases after, rare that Kratos doesn’t. The distraction of the unknown creeps over them both, however. Curiosity wide in their young hearts.
His tail swishes behind him, eyes adjusting—the plentiful foliage that lines these walls and the cavern floor unlike any experience that Kratos has had with them before. He doesn’t hesitate, much like how Zephyr doesn’t, plunging into the darkness along the tunnel. Until ahead, there is a trickle of light that shocks against the darkness of it all. The ceiling caved in, leaving a stream of sunlight—and it isn’t the only patch.
The cave turns out to be more interesting further in, and play is quickly forgotten as the two venture further. Zephyr's cautious side starts to kick in, and he slows, glancing around with ears half-lowered as he tries to decide how he feels about all of it. The light helps a little. This is weird, He murmurs, glancing over his shoulder at Kratos as his mate passes under a patch of light. He focuses his attention ahead again quickly, wary and antsy as if something could jump out from around a corner at any moment. I haven't seen anything like this before.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Weird suits them just fine, he wants to counter—yet he knows Zephyr would twist it the wrong way. Weird is what they are, and he wears it akin to a badge of honor. Kratos would rather lay down his life than attire to what is normal. His ears twitch, however, and champagne eyes shift over the cavern with amusement.
Yeah, me neither, he admits aloud, having been reluctant to say that even he is inexperienced in something. Usually water somewhere in caves. It’s what he’s learned about the Pit and the rounds of Dynverther’s streets. Hot Springs were for the nobles, but it wasn’t rare to catch the sly youth sneaking his way in them when the guards snoozed.
Probably that and the sunlight is why all these plants are around. He concludes, eyes lifting to the ceiling before he glances towards Zephyr. Stating the obvious, but he likes to seem smart.
He's silent for a moment after Kratos speaks, secretly a little impressed; he hadn't thought about that, though it makes sense now that he does. His life so far hasn't exactly encouraged deeper thought about the world around him; most of the time, he's just focused on trying to survive, or meet a specific goal. If he put more thought into things, he might have already come to the same conclusion his mate had — but he doesn't, so Kratos gets to act smart.
I bet we could live here if we wanted, He says after a moment. In the next second, the tunnel opens into another cavern, brighter than the main chamber. He blinks and slows to a halt, half-blind for a moment as his eyes adjust.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Do we want to? He raises the question, going along with the subtle suggestion that Zephyr slid in. It does seem like a decent pad to chill at. There is water and plants and that meant there would be food too. Though the bigger critters are typically smart enough not to wander into the dragon’s den. Kratos halts alongside his mate.
He thinks for a moment, glancing around and trying to decide if he can see this as home. After several seconds, he looks back to Kratos and shakes his head. It's too... warm, and damp. I'd get sick of it eventually, He wants to be somewhere colder; everywhere is too warm for him since he crossed the mountain range. He's happy to be back on this side of it, but it still isn't quite good enough. He misses winter.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Amusement flickers in pale gold eyes—how further observation changes the opinion of the ice king so quick. Before debating a home within the Lair, now, wanting nothing more than a short vacation. Kratos rotates his shoulders.
So… no? Kratos is being a smart-ass, but he teases just right. They tumble further in the lair, and find a few other interesting things before departing after rest.