Duskfire Glacier Craft
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
All Welcome 

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Mild gore.

A hare dangled from Cerne's jaws as he padded up a tall glacier; this would serve not only as his meal, but he would process the pelt in order to make a small pouch. Eventually, he would make a larger pouch, but for now, this would do fine. He used his teeth to first chew a hole into the pelt, then used his blunted claws to skin the hare to the best of his ability - which, admittedly, wasn't very well. Then, he wolfed down his dinner, careful to eat around the bones; not all were worth saving, those ones, he would eat. He would gnaw one on both ends, so that he could thread it through the hareskin pouch, and when he was finished, he had... well, exactly that - a shoddy pouch made of hareskin, with a piece of sharpened bone holding all the edges together.
Physical Health (100/100)

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
hope this is okay <3

Briefly she strayed, briefly she found herself at the edge of the river where it met glacier.

Here she found him. A stranger painted in familiar colors. Large and strong. A craftsman too, it seemed. She wondered if he had once been a part of the duskfire village. Surely not, they had been long gone enough for any stragglers to know they did not live here anymore.

Hello, She called out to him, guarded but curious. Wishing to know more about him.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
Of course! <3

A stranger called out to him, and Cerne lifted his head to see a pretty female a short distance away. "Hello," he greeted in return, offering a short dip of his head. He would have offered a bone reading, but he didn't have enough to work with. He offered his name, and profession, "I am Cerne - a soothsayer. Who might you be?" His words were curious, and he peered curiously at her.

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
A soothsayer.

I am Sakhmet, She offered. I live on the river with my husband. And children, she thought, but he did not need to know about them. They were still so vulnerable and she refused to lead a stranger to them.

What is a soothsayer?
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
So, she was taken - that was a shame. "A pleasure to meet you, Sakhmet. A soothsayer is one who tells the future. I cast bones, scry, and read the future by studying the stars and the weather." He nudged his pouch, then pulled the bone free so that the pelt opened, showing several hare bones. "I will seek out stones, shells, and other objects that call to me, and I will add them to my pouch."

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
She thought of the people of Moonglow.

She thought of the start of her own village here.

Is this a...teachable thing? She inquired softly, magically taken with him for the moment. Sakhmet was no stranger to unseen forces and their capabilities. Perhaps it was a...power she had failed to utilize. Perhaps this man had come here for a reason unknown to them.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
Cerne debated Sakhmet's words, frowning slightly as he did. It was true that his mother had taught him the art of divination, but he also believed it was something one was born with. He told her as such, still frowning, "It... can be taught, to a degree. However I believe it is also a power one is born with." He busied himself with closing his pouch, then looked back to her. "Is that something that interests you?" He supposed, once he had all of his materials, that he could return and give her a reading, if she wanted.

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
If anybody had been born with some sort of soothsayer power, certainly is the child of Melonii.

But she doubted any whisper of Blackfeather would mean anything to this wandering soothsayer.

It is, She confirmed to him with a timid smile, pale eyes fixed upon his handsome features before they fluttered beyond him to the empty remnants of the duskfire village. Would you...hear me out, soothsayer?
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
She smiled, and he smiled faintly in return. As her gaze slipped past him, he turned, too, though he knew not what she was looking for. At her inquiry, he nodded, telling her in a quiet sort of rumble, "Speak, Sakhmet, and I will listen. What troubles you?"

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
I would like somebody like you in our village, She admitted, toes flexed into the cold ground briefly. It was bold perhaps, but she could not let this moment slip away. The river had been silent for too long. Even with the addition of children!

We can feed you, house you, She sought to reassure him. I only ask for your skills in return — and you're still welcome to venture to find your...tools.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
Cerne thought on her words, another frown tugging at his lips. "I have travelled alone for quite some time... It is not a decision to make lightly." He met her gaze, then, and he could see... not desperation by any means, but perhaps some vulnerability? He gave a thoughtful sigh, then said, "I will think on it. In the meantime, I would know you better." Cerne sat then, getting comfortable. "Many wish to know the future, until it is laid bare before them... so tell me, Sakhmet — what is it that you fear?"

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Too bold, too fast.

She silently willed him to stay with them. But she understood him too.

I have many things to fear, She told him. Hushed but steadfast. Sakhmet had always feared many things, it was part of life. She thought little of how tightly it gripped her.

This year is full of firsts for me, soothsayer— A tight lipped pause.

Are you a father?
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
A wry smile was given at her answer, but he did not prod. Then, a question for him. Children — he had thought about it. He had yet to meet a woman who would take him, though perhaps it was for lack of trying; no matter. He was young, and full of vigor. He had plenty of time to find a woman.

"I am not a father, but it is my hope that one day, I will be." He quirked a brow at her — it was almost too easy to infer. A soft smile, then, "You've had your first children this year." It was not spoken as a question.

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
She had not meant to spill such things to him, but his company was too easy. Too inviting.

She dared a few steps closer to him, a tilt upward of her chin to look upon him. So tall. She thought of her husband in this man's hawk eyes.

Two sons. She informed him with pride. With them comes a new future and new fears. Ones that I do not know how to face until they find me. Your skills would be invaluable as a sort of...advisor. She did not mean to entice him or sweeten any deal so much as she meant to lay bare the value in him that she saw.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
Cerne allowed her to approach, stretching out his nose to catch her scent better. Her words stirred him, and he was beginning to feel the same draw to her that she had to him. "I... will agree on two conditions." His eyes sought hers, and he continued, "First, that I might stay for a sort of... trial period — perhaps a month, before I make up my mind. And secondly, I would ask that we exchange gifts." In his culture, it was a show of good faith. He would smile slightly, then added, "Perhaps you could seek an item that I could add to my tools? Anything that might speak to you, anything at all." It didn't have to be bones, though that was one of his main sources of divination. "Personal or treasured items will have a more accurate reading." He wondered whether she would accept these terms.

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
He asked for a trial period.

Her heart hammered, but she would remind herself that any more bodies even temporarily would be better than none at all. Especially one such as him. Skilled and polite. And while his second asking may have been odd, it was certainly agreeable.

Both of these are doable, She informed him with a small smile. I am happy to find you a place to safely store your things along the river for your stay, if you would like. If that is a more...personal task, I understand too.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
Cerne shook his head, telling her, "There will be no need. I keep my tools with me at all times — if I do not, my spirit connection with them will eventually weaken and fracture." Perhaps he didn't need to hold them on his person 24/7, but he was too superstitious not too. He also would not let others read with them — each kit was personal to its user, and allowing others to use it would also violate the spiritual connection. "I feel a call elsewhere, for now — when I return, shall I call for you at the river? And what of your husband?"

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Call for both my husband and me. He will want to meet you, She was certain of this. @Kigipigak would already hear of this male though, Sakhmet would be certain to tell her husband of the soothsayer before his return.

Thank you, Cerne. She offered with a warmer smile this time. You are a beacon.
92 Posts
Ooc — The System
I'm good to end it here if you are <3

Another small smile was given, then Cerne dipped his head. "I will return likely within a week's time. My hope is to have completed my set by then." He rose then, ready to take his leave. He had not seen this coming, but then again, he had never read his own future. "I leave you now, Sakhmet," Cerne murmured, turning to take his leave.

Cerne is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Cerne is mentally well.