Redtail Rise while the future is fast coming for you, it always flinches first
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Of course Avicus had not liked it. Aventus hadn't, either. But Atreus was a petulant boy whose mother had recently departed then. He could be excused for his emotional outbursts. He was a young man now, and Aventus had thought better of him than to run out on his family, no matter how surly he was. Yet he could not blame the boy seeking another way if his own pack had made him feel he was an outcast. A good leader does not hold grudges for such things.

But was Avicus a good leader, or merely a strong one?

Perhaps none of this was relevant. From what Ancelin said, Atreus had meant to stay, and now he was gone. What that suggested made Aventus' belly clench with brackish fear.

He eyed Ancelin when the boy appealed to come with. Pride glinted in his silver eyes. He had always believed that cunning and being observant were more valuable traits than any amount of strength or fearlessness — this was what separated him from the Bearclaw side of his own heritage — and he was glad his son had come to possess some of those skills. But the set of his jaw was firm.

It is possible Atreus did not go away on purpose, he said baldly. The words tasted sour in his mouth. There may be danger. I do not doubt your abilities, but I need to know you are safe. Unbidden, the scarred face of Nyra drifted across his mind. He had not thought of her in some time, but he knew he had enemies in the world, even if it was incredibly unlikely that they would find him or his kin here.

Arielle. Atreus. Their disappearances suddenly felt all too convenient to be coincidence.

If I do not find him nearby, I promise to bring you with me then.
Messages In This Thread
RE: while the future is fast coming for you, it always flinches first - by Aventus - December 04, 2022, 12:55 PM