Oystercatcher Tide Pools i. requiem aeternam
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
All Welcome 
Death changed a woman.

The tide gaveth, and the tide taketh away. Her, specifically. One moment fishing for urchins, the next tumbling under the waves, flailing desperately to break the surface.

Drowning changed a wolf. It had changed her father, setting his fur stark white and his mind to madness. It had changed many better ones than her.

When Blueberry finally washed up upon shore like some pale, ragged bit of detritus, she was not breathing. It would take an act of God to revive her—

Or woman.

She came to, sputtering seawater, to find a pair of dark paws thrusting hard against her ribs and belly to expel the evil she'd swallowed within the depths.

Saved her, spirited her away, strengthened her back to something resembling her former self.

But she'd died. That fact was undeniable.

Your name? the witch, Kaali, had asked of her.

Blueberry, she'd replied in a voice fit for the underworld, hoarse and cracked.

The woman had shaken her head. Blueberries. . .sweet little things. Life-givers, sweetness upon the tongue. Not you, my dear. Not you.

Eventually, Kaali sent her on her way with food, prayer, and a new name.

Manea, she'd purred. Mother of the dead and dying, of spirits.

Blueberry had died, but the body remained. Manea settled cold and heavy in her bones. Blueberry was buried somewhere within her mind, beneath an apathetic mist rather than the soil of the earth.

She wandered the shore now, weaving through the tide pools, aimless and adrift and anchorless as her parents before her.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph was settled on returning, having lingered near the tidepools and explored the area. Following the coast she told herself was not completely cheating, but it did act as an aid to her own sense of direction as she developed her understanding of the area. A wolf wandered into sight, light in coloration, moving in and out of the tidepools so as to avoid the water with ease and yet still did not appear fully connected to the earth below. As her own path neared to convergence with the other Heph let out a tentative greeting. "Hello..." She did not near too close, unsure of the demeanor of this other canine but wishing to approach.
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
A figure emerged from the mist off the sea, though who came into view was not much more different than the gray, drab landscape. A wolf in similar shades, brown eyes, large but fairly unassuming—

But smelling of other wolves.

Hi, Manea said curtly, giving a brusque nod in return.

She continued her path, keen on walking on unless the other continues to interrogate her. And she figured it might happen, so she kept her pace slow; it would be more annoying to have turned her back completely and then be interrupted.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
The greeting was all the encouragement Heph needed to make her own interpretation. She chose to consider the walking not completely away as an invitation and aligned her own steps with the other wolf's with ease, tracing the surroundings with her gaze before turning her attention back towards the light colored wolf. "Should I assume you have a name to match your good looks or shall I think of something colorful?" There was a faint hint of teasing in her voice, light and easy that faded in and out with the lap of the waves on the shore. "My name is Heph by the way." She identified herself with little care, the she-wolf was one who often enough wished to be easily found and placed little value on what she was called.
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
Good looks?

Manea turned her head to look at the woman, chin turning to absorb the flirtatious tone the other cast her way.

She hadn't been prepared for it.

Manea, she replied, shrugging. She was not won over by the other's coquettish behavior and thus walked on, weaving through the pools as usual.

A part of her wanted to believe that she was desired.

A larger part knew any desire was a facade.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph grinned, though this wolf did not appear overly friendly or interested in conversation she at least seemed willing to respond when asked. Her voice was smooth and high as she played over the syllables she had been giving. "Hmm Manea, quite lovely - and fitting." There was a wink accompanied with her words, the unsubtle suggestion. Her own steps mirrored the other wolf's weaving in and out of the tidepools as they made their way down the coast. She took note of them, wondering if the scenery would shift if she were to leave and return within a matter of days. Her voice slid across the sea breeze flirtatious and light, but backed by her actions which spoke for themselves. "Well if you don't mind I'm headed the same direction and will bask in your company for as long as I'm lucky enough for our paths to cross." She did not need to pry words or conversation from her companion's lips to enjoy her company and though she often tried to travel quietly in respect to the danger so often lurking on pathways unknown she felt comfortable with the sea to one side and her sight to another so she began humming a tune upbeat enough to lift her paws from the weight of the sand.